ADVERTISEMENT

Shaedon Sharpe's selfishness and Calipari's support of that selfishness might have cost Kentucky a title.

I’d bet he’s not as good as the hype. Why else wouldn’t he play?
IMO it is a bad look any way you look at it.
A) he is really that good and he knows it. He is ready for the NBA, worthy of a top 6 draft pick, and could have stepped on the floor and proved it.
Or...
B) he is not really as good as the analysts think that he is. He and his group know it. He isn't ready for the NBA, he wasn't even ready for college ball, and stepping on the floor would have proved it, tanked his stock, and then he would have been advised to spend a year in college.
C) he really does plan on getting feedback and coming back to college as they have insisted all along

IDK what other option there is other than those three. Some people say "smart move, get your money" but that money would have been there either way if he is deserving of it. But if he is not that good, it is undeserved money. It is unethical to decieve your way into millions of dollars, and if you end up being a bad pick, it will likely cost some NBA exec his job for picking a bust.
There is only 1 good answer and I don't see that one happening. So, here is to hoping there is an ounce of integrity left in this mess. If not, someone should publicly pay for it.

Yeah, but did Cal ever even ask him to go in? I don't think he did and that's even worse. It’s a really bad look for Cal. Dwayne Washington punked him and basically dictated how a UK player would be handled and Cal did what he was told.

Now, Cal is avoiding the fanbase. He's been in hiding and it's because he knows he screwed up and there is nothing he can say that will remove the big red hand print from his face.

And this thought about negative recruiting if he kicked SS off the team, is garbage. He's already been getting his butt kicked on the recruiting trail, so what does it matter? His yelling during games has probably done more damage to recruiting than anything else.

The guy is a has-been and we're stuck with him unfortunately.
Hard to argue with any of this. But I do think Cal really tried to convince SS to play. It just wasn't ever going to happen with Washington at the table.

There are injury insurance policies available to college athletes with a pro future for up to $10 million dollars. He could have purchased one with all of his NIL money. I would be surprised if that wasn't already done for him.
I'm sure you're right. I'm not saying he made the right decision. But he obviously didn't lose his meal ticket for the even bigger bucks by not playing.

There are injury insurance policies available to college athletes with a pro future for up to $10 million dollars. He could have purchased one with all of his NIL money. I would be surprised if that wasn't already done for him.
As I understand, those policies are written in a way where they only pay out if you suffer a career ending caliber injury. They don’t apply to injuries that only cause a player’s stock to drop to a lower draft position.

So it still makes sense to sit if already guaranteed a top 10 lottery spot. Insurance won’t save you from a stock decline.

Last edited:
Hard to argue with any of this. But I do think Cal really tried to convince SS to play. It just wasn't ever going to happen with Washington at the table.
If Cal tried to convince him to play, that’s bad enough, but the fact that he couldn’t convince a UK player on scholarship to play, is about as bad a look as I can think of in this scenario.

If Cal tried to convince him to play, that’s bad enough, but the fact that he couldn’t convince a UK player on scholarship to play, is about as bad a look as I can think of in this scenario.
Again, I don't disagree, Jeff. But once it was determined he wouldn't play, it wouldn't have helped anything to kick the kid off the team (I'm sure many will disagree).

It certainly would have avoided a loss to a 15-seed, and probably had us walk to the Sweet16.

Still, i put the vast majority of the blame on Sharpe. Cal could have handled it better, but it sounds like he was duped in a lot of this as well. The problem is, HE was the one who created this NBA-first culture, which is probably what sparked the idea in Sharpe's mind.

Still.. if an employee steals from a company, and HR hasn't decided what to do with him.. who is REALLY at fault here for committing the crime? You can be upset with Cal over this, but Sharpe caused this entire thing.

Again, I don't disagree, Jeff. But once it was determined he wouldn't play, it wouldn't have helped anything to kick the kid off the team (I'm sure many will disagree).
I'm one of those that disagree. Kicking him off the team at that point would have let future players, and their handlers, know that it's not going to fly at UK. You refuse to play, you're off the team.

Isnt the more likely scenario is that Sharpe and his Camp did not want him to play and didnt let him? I know the response is going to be "well Cal should have kicked him off the team" which I mostly agree with but that would have truly been a PR nightmare that we have never seen anymore. I dont know how you can say that Cal cost us a title by not playing him when it is more than likely Sharpe who didnt want to play all along.
And here I thought Cal was in charge of the program.

Obviously there's no way to change OP's mind, so the point is moot, but I'm going to take a shot at it.
I always try to put myself in someone else's shoes. So here's my (albeit simplistic) attempt to think like Cal through the various stages of this mess.

(writing this as IF I WAS CAL)
  • In recruiting SS, I would have certainly known there was a good chance he might not play, but it was still worth it to recruit and land the #1 player in the class with the chance he'd change his mind. Like it or not, landing the #1 recruit helps future recruiting. No brainer-I've gotta go after him.
  • I know there's a chance he won't play for us, but at least he'll practice with the team and help make us stronger. Plus, I get to claim another NBA lottery pick (which helps future recruiting)! The fans will love me for it!
  • True, I don't love the fact that I have to deal with Washington, but he's funneled other great players to me in the past, so the orange is worth the squeeze. I'll be able to convince SS to play once he sees how great this team could be with him on the court!
  • Who needs SS? ;) My team is playing great without him mid-season. We look like one of the top teams in the country, and my guys are firing on all cylinders. It's looking like SS may not play, but that's ok. I'm doing what's best for SS's future, and it looks like we may not need him after all!
  • Well, crap. The injury bug is threatening to derail things. What the heck am I going to do with all these injuries? I'd love to shut down Ty and Wheeler and even Grady for a couple of weeks each while working SS into the rotation, but Washington says no. The fans are really getting restless about SS staying on the pine, but they'll really crucify me if we don't keep pushing hard for that #1 seed. I'm going to keep working on Washington- maybe I can get him to come around.
  • Well, it's official, Washington says SS won't play. That pisses me off- we really need him. Should I kick SS off the team? There would be some nasty media fallout. Plus, like it or not, UK won't get credit for putting him in the NBA. The guys like having him around, and it's really not hurting us to keep him in practice, but the fans are getting really pissed off at this point. Boy, talk about a no-win situation.
I disagree with this assumption that Cal was blindsided by Sharpe's reluctance to play. He even announced that the plan was never for him to play. Furthermore, if he hugs it out with Sharpe on draft night, that puts the lie to any claim that he didn't know the plan was originally for Sharpe to be a NONE and done. Cal should be appalled and insulted by Sharpe's behaviors and a man with a clean conscience wouldn't even associate with him.

Furthermore, I predicted ALL of this would happen BEFORE anyone else here did, and I was dragged relentlessly for it. Nice to be vindicated, even though it's bittersweet since obviously it would have been better for Sharpe to have played and led us to #9. But that's on Cal, not me or the rest of the fans. Cal needs to go and I said so at the outset of this nonsense, in mid-January.

Well, this is the same man that said it was the greatest day in UK basketball history when we had 5 dudes drafted in the 1st round. It didn't bother me when we were winning. Each and every season, Cal has slowly tempered expectations. I mean, we are to the point now that the regular season doesn't matter. But what if you lose in the 1st round to a 15 seed, or fail to make the Final-4 for 7 years?

But yeah, keep scheduling the sisters of the poor at Rupp, while simultaneously walking around telling everyone we are the gold standard.
Why bring Michigan to Rupp Arena when we can play them in England?

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Isnt the more likely scenario is that Sharpe and his Camp did not want him to play and didnt let him? I know the response is going to be "well Cal should have kicked him off the team" which I mostly agree with but that would have truly been a PR nightmare that we have never seen anymore. I dont know how you can say that Cal cost us a title by not playing him when it is more than likely Sharpe who didnt want to play all along.
When Coach Rupp was the head coach, if you were capable of playing, you played. If you refused to play, your ass was off the team. Handlers and parents didn’t dictate to Coach Rupp, who played or didn’t play.

Change my mind.

Sharpe is destroying all the pre-draft camp records and proving that he's worthy of a top 3 pick. Might be the best athlete in the draft since Vince Carter.

Yet some of you wanted us to believed he wasn't ready this season? You look like fools.

Further, we were supposed to believe that "things changed" regarding his draft status, when even last Fall Sharpe was a projected top 10 pick before he came to Kentucky? I'm not buying it.

This is the absolute worst circus that has ever happened to Kentucky, and Calipari signed off on it and probably cost us a title because he valued draft stock over winning.

Yeah, he should have forced him to go in games, holding his hand if necessary. lol...dude you really are a trip and your posts are fun to read.

Yeah , they are the ones screaming “beating a dead horse “. Idiots.
They told us not to talk about it in February. They said “wait till it happens to get mad about it!” Now that it’s happening we shouldn’t talk about it because it’s “beating a dead horse.” Basically, they know there’s no press secretary’ing around this one. It’s a PR disaster and they don’t want to face it.

Change my mind.

Sharpe is destroying all the pre-draft camp records and proving that he's worthy of a top 3 pick. Might be the best athlete in the draft since Vince Carter.

Yet some of you wanted us to believed he wasn't ready this season? You look like fools.

Further, we were supposed to believe that "things changed" regarding his draft status, when even last Fall Sharpe was a projected top 10 pick before he came to Kentucky? I'm not buying it.

This is the absolute worst circus that has ever happened to Kentucky, and Calipari signed off on it and probably cost us a title because he valued draft stock over winning.
Heh. Lots of people said Sharpe sux...

He's not going to play here this season, or next season. He will go into the draft. If he played this season it would only hurt his draft stock. Unfortunately, like many before him, he is not as good as advertised. The coaches see it and he sees it after playing with the level of talent currently at UK. This is why he will not step foot on the court this season. I don't blame him at all, it's a smart move.

You mean the Sharpe that you have never seen play in college l? Ever?

You do realize if he was the second coming of Michael Jordan, he’d play immediately. Get the top draft spot and move on. His family does not have that confidence in him. Instead, it appears they are resting on his laurels. So the people that know him best don’t have the same expectations that you and the other haters do.

Oh Sharpe. Jesus, here we go, you’re a broken f’n record. HOW DO YOU KNOW THE KID CAN EVEN SHOOT AT THE COLLEGE LEVEL?

This all makes zero sense. I know we have fans that believe the guy is an absolute game changing superstar. But I’m almost certain one guy doesn’t believe that. Sharpe. I think he’ good but I think practice exposed him. He got here and found out this draft status was at serious risk. Feet got cold. Now they are trying to hide to see what happens after the season. The whole thing just does not add up. Further, Cal’s management is on board. Summer should be interesting. I won’t be surprised to hear the transfer portal mentioned.

Reactions: TM2013
How did I say Sharpe sucked by asking a question that no one could answer then and still can't answer today because he hasn't played in a competitive game situation? If you're gonna puss out and claim to block me then keep my name outta your mouth son. You're not gonna draw me into your and bassfan's little lame-ass, daily pissing contest.

Last edited:
How did I say Sharpe sucked by asking a question that no one could answer then and still can't answer today because he hasn't played in a competitive game situation? If you're gonna puss out and claim to block me then keep my name outta your mouth son. You're not gonna draw me into your and bassfan's little lame-ass, daily pissing contet.
"Keep your name outta my mouth?" LOL did you invent that phrase after watching the Oscars? 🤡What is your name? I know it's not flacat22 for sure, right? Is it Billy T. Badass? Donnie McDouchebag? Tommy Tryhard? LOL Internet warrior who's getting butthurt because he got exposed trying to say Sharpe wasn't that good and now looks like a clown.

"Keep your name outta my mouth?" What is your name? I know it's not flacat22 for sure, right? Is it Billy T. Badass? Donnie McDouchebag? Tommy Tryhard? LOL Internet warrior who's getting butthurt because he got exposed trying to say Sharpe wasn't that good and now looks like a clown.
You're the clown, ask anyone. You show up every day about this time to find bassfan in a thread to hijack and continue your daily dalliances with him and insult and call names when you're exposed. You're laughable and sad, to be honest. Begging for attention like you solved the DaVinci code or something. EVERYONE knew he wasn't going to play here yet you carry on as if the board owes you a debt of gratitude for pointing out the obvious. I asked a legitimate question that you can't/wont answer. Still waiting.

if he did not want to play, then he should not have been allowed to dress out, warm up or sit on the bench like he was a team member. He should have been in street clothes behind the behind like any other non athlete.
He definitely should not have been able to draw any NIL $ for being a spectator.

I think he was a distraction to those that were playing & caused a lot of jealousy for the "special" treatment he was receiving. CCC was involved in this from the get go. Having the #1 recruit at your school gave him a sense of validation that he still had what it takes to land the top prize. He wanted to feel as an equal to K. Truth is, he is not equal to K in recruiting and especially not in coaching. K owned him on & off the court

The Sharpe situation is a product of UK’s branding under Cal. Players and their inner circle will look for coaches amenable to their professional jump.

Now, a player who values that so highly and won’t risk playing basketball out of fear of an injury is a creates a problem. If Cal isn’t open/compliant to such demands or requests, does that hurt him when pursuing future prospects with similar inclinations? He certainly can’t have suggestions that he will go against the interest of the player who is looking to start a pro career. It would sabotage the entire Kentucky brand built by Cal.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Has this not been a “PR nightmare” anyways? I don’t see how that has been averted.

If nothing else, it’s sure illustrates how times have changed. It used to be that a player refusing to play was absolutely considered grounds for getting kicked off the team. A player dictating to the coach when or if he’ll play simply would not be tolerated.

But appears that’s no longer how it works.
isn't it amazing how everyone gave Allen the business because he didn't want to go in the game with 30 seconds left with all of the walk ons, yet give Sharpe & ccc a pass on this behind the back deal

You're the clown, ask anyone. You show up every day about this time to find bassfan in a thread to hijack and continue your daily dalliances with him and insult and call names when you're exposed. You're laughable and sad, to be honest. Begging for attention like you solved the DaVinci code or something. EVERYONE knew he wasn't going to play here yet you carry on as if the board owes you a debt of gratitude for pointing out the obvious. I asked a legitimate question that you can't/wont answer. Still waiting.
Talking about pussing out, you can't even address the point but still change the subject. You're as dumb as bassfan but twice as cocky. Everyone else knew? NOBODY had the balls to say so, so yeah I get to claim credit. I didn't see you saying anything, big boy. Nope, you were running around saying Sharpe wasn't that good, which is now proven to be another dumbass blunder on your part. You're 0 for life at the moment and yet you keep doubling down, clown.

I don't give a hot sht about your gratitude but you'll hear about it as long as I want to talk about it. Go ahead and whine some more, redass.

When Coach Rupp was the head coach, if you were capable of playing, you played. If you refused to play, your ass was off the team. Handlers and parents didn’t dictate to Coach Rupp, who played or didn’t play.
different times........Coach RUpp let it be known that it was his way or the highway
today, the kids, parents & handlers call the shots
the coaches are just puppets on a string

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Not just Rupp . I’d about 99% of TODAYS coaches have the same policy. Most aren’t stupid enough to be cuckold like Cal though.

Talking about pussing out, you can't even address the point but still change the subject. You're as dumb as bassfan but twice as cocky. Everyone else knew? NOBODY had the balls to say so, so yeah I get to claim credit. I didn't see you saying anything, big boy. Nope, you were running around saying Sharpe wasn't that good, which is now proven to be another dumbass blunder on your part. You're 0 for life at the moment and yet you keep doubling down, clown.

I don't give a hot sht about your gratitude but you'll hear about it as long as I want to talk about it. Go ahead and whine some more, redass.
Reading comprehension really isn't your strength, is it? This is now the third (AND LAST) time I have addressed your misrepresenting a quote I made to look like I said Sharpe wasn't good. Im am done. Where in "how do you know he is a good shooter at the college level" are you somehow getting my saying he's not good? It was/IS a legit question since NOONE can answer it cause NOONE saw it. Did he play at the combine? No. Do the staged "workout" videos answer that question? No. The question still remains. Don't twist my words and misuse my quotes to lump me in with your daily fist buddies. No one is whining but you, I made my point and it is valid, as valid today as it was then. Learn to read.

Last edited:
I'm going to push back on the "everyone here knew he wasn't going to play here!" comment. Lots of people here said they believe Sharpe and his handlers until they are proven otherwise. Hell just yesterday there were STILL people posting here like Sharpe is going to play here next season.

I'm going to push back on the "everyone here knew he wasn't going to play here!" comment. Lots of people here said they believe Sharpe and his handlers until they are proven otherwise. Hell just yesterday there were STILL people posting here like Sharpe is going to play here next season.
How anyone in their right mind can believe a word that comes out of that camp at this point is beyond me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT