ADVERTISEMENT

I’m not getting a good vibe on AB per Ben Roberts latest …hope I’m wrong

JST390-2

Junior
Nov 1, 2015
Florida
Speculation abound over the status of Aaron Bradshaw for the upcoming Kentucky basketball season, John Calipari finally addressed the star recruit’s situation in a press conference Friday afternoon. Calipari confirmed that Bradshaw — a 7-footer and one of the top prospects in the 2023 class — had an operation on his injured foot and would not be available to play for the time being, though he did not put a firm timetable on his return to the court. The UK coach said that Bradshaw had been “one of the stars” of the team’s recent basketball camp circuit not long after arriving in Lexington.

“Aaron Bradshaw was unbelievable in the camps in our community. The kids loved him. The parents loved him,” Calipari said. According to Calipari, the New Jersey native was weighing whether or not to have a procedure on his foot or wait things out in hopes of the injury healing on its own. He ultimately chose to have the operation. “Had a foot injury. Had a choice to make,” Calipari said. “Do you let it heal? Or do you do an operation. He waited for a minute to say, ‘Let me see this.’ But at the end of the day, he said, ‘I want an operation because I want to play.’” Calipari said Bradshaw would be back on campus this weekend, wearing a protective boot. The comments Friday came during Calipari’s first press conference since UK lost to Kansas State in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on March 19. Bradshaw’s playing status for Kentucky has been shrouded in mystery for months, with persistent rumblings throughout recruiting circles that he might not arrive in Lexington at all, and then, when he was one of the first UK freshmen to make it to campus in early June, the focus shifted to his health. The 19-year-old confirmed in an Instagram Live post last week that he was indeed sidelined with an injury suffered at the McDonald’s All-American Game in late March and would not be able to play in the Wildcats’ upcoming trip to Canada for the GLOBL JAM, a four-game exhibition tournament that begins July 12 in Toronto.

Bradshaw added in that IG Live post that he would be “cleared soon,” but there has been no official word from UK on the extent of his injury or a timeframe for his return to the court. Bradshaw’s IG Live proclamation came about a week after NBA reporter Shams Charania tweeted, citing unnamed sources, that the Kentucky player had suffered a fracture in his foot and could miss the start of the 2023-24 season, a rumor that had been prevalent (but unconfirmed) throughout college basketball. Later that day, Bradshaw participated in UK’s Father-Son Camp at the Joe Craft Center, taking part in basketball activities without wearing any kind of protection on either foot. A high-upside but still-developing big man, Bradshaw clearly could have benefited, if healthy, from participating in the team’s Toronto trip, which will pit the Cats against college-aged players from Africa, Canada and Germany. Calipari acknowledged as much Friday.

“It’s unfortunate for him. But we’ve had guys that couldn’t be there in the summer and came back and played great,” he said. “All I can tell you is every time he grabs me, he says, ‘I love you, Coach.’ Like, this kid is so excited about being here and wants to help us win. “These guys know — even in practice — every practice, the drills are: you win or you lose. Everything we do is with (a) score — you win or you lose. You’re teaching them (that) winning matters. With him, winning matters. ‘I want to come here and I want us to win.’ … For him, it would have been better if he played. But he’ll be fine.” A follow-up question over whether Calipari had any concern that Bradshaw’s recovery might linger into the regular season did not yield a definitive answer.

“Not from what the doctors are telling me,” Calipari said when asked whether he thought Bradshaw might miss real games, before adding a qualifier. “But we will not rush him back.” There has also been persistent talk in recruiting circles that even if Bradshaw did ultimately make it to UK’s campus, he and his circle of advisers might decide to sit out the 2023-24 season completely to protect his draft stock as a possible lottery pick. Calipari, presumably aware of that speculation, added that once Bradshaw decided to go through with the foot surgery, the procedure was done within a couple of days. “So he wants to play,” the UK coach declared.

247Sports ranked Bradshaw as the No. 5 overall player in its final 2023 rankings, which also featured UK teammates Justin Edwards (No. 3) and DJ Wagner (No. 6) in the top 10, with the Wildcats’ overall incoming group rated as the best recruiting class in the country. Bradshaw is also included in some early projections as a lottery pick in the 2024 NBA Draft.

Bradshaw literally posted on Instagram yesterday that he'll be back soon and is definitely playing, he's told BBN multiple times to stay calm, he's playing, etc. etc.

You guys punishing AB for SS's sins is pretty ass-backwards and honestly it's bullshit.

I have full faith that AB will be playing, he has said it at least a half dozen times in the last 2 weeks.

He literally had the surgery so that he was 100% that he COULD play this year, and not get into November, reaggravate it, and have to miss the season.

He didn't have to do that, he could have just taken his chances and let it heal on it's own, but he CHOSE to have the surgery to make sure he was 100% by the season.

But you guys want to tear the kid down anyways, despite him being true to his word every step along the way (tons of you were ripping him also when the USC rumors came out, turns out AB was being truthful the whole time).

I call bullshit on this whole narrative.

It's like reading the same book over and over. You know it's going to start out with how great the kid is and all the good stuff he says and does in the community and then it goes to an unknown timeline to return. Hell half the board has posted these quotes about what Cal would say weeks before the presser.

I'm cynical as hell. But it's Cal's fault.

Bradshaw ain't gonna play all year. We'll be the worst shooting team in the SEC. We'll lose 12+ games. The entire team will exit at the end of the season...again. Will it all happen? Probably not. But that's how freakin' cynical I am. Can't help it.

AB has a ton of potential and gonna be really good in a few years. With that said, he'd be better off to probably not play this year and have GM's "think" he's a lottery pick than to go ahead and play, then not be a first rounder. I don't know how good he is for sure but I'd bet that he won't perform up to those lottery pick projections, but I could be wrong. If you all disagree I couldn't argue that you was wrong just that those were my thoughts.

Reactions: HeelsShmeels
Speculation abound over the status of Aaron Bradshaw for the upcoming Kentucky basketball season, John Calipari finally addressed the star recruit’s situation in a press conference Friday afternoon. Calipari confirmed that Bradshaw — a 7-footer and one of the top prospects in the 2023 class — had an operation on his injured foot and would not be available to play for the time being, though he did not put a firm timetable on his return to the court. The UK coach said that Bradshaw had been “one of the stars” of the team’s recent basketball camp circuit not long after arriving in Lexington.

“Aaron Bradshaw was unbelievable in the camps in our community. The kids loved him. The parents loved him,” Calipari said. According to Calipari, the New Jersey native was weighing whether or not to have a procedure on his foot or wait things out in hopes of the injury healing on its own. He ultimately chose to have the operation. “Had a foot injury. Had a choice to make,” Calipari said. “Do you let it heal? Or do you do an operation. He waited for a minute to say, ‘Let me see this.’ But at the end of the day, he said, ‘I want an operation because I want to play.’” Calipari said Bradshaw would be back on campus this weekend, wearing a protective boot. The comments Friday came during Calipari’s first press conference since UK lost to Kansas State in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on March 19. Bradshaw’s playing status for Kentucky has been shrouded in mystery for months, with persistent rumblings throughout recruiting circles that he might not arrive in Lexington at all, and then, when he was one of the first UK freshmen to make it to campus in early June, the focus shifted to his health. The 19-year-old confirmed in an Instagram Live post last week that he was indeed sidelined with an injury suffered at the McDonald’s All-American Game in late March and would not be able to play in the Wildcats’ upcoming trip to Canada for the GLOBL JAM, a four-game exhibition tournament that begins July 12 in Toronto.

Bradshaw added in that IG Live post that he would be “cleared soon,” but there has been no official word from UK on the extent of his injury or a timeframe for his return to the court. Bradshaw’s IG Live proclamation came about a week after NBA reporter Shams Charania tweeted, citing unnamed sources, that the Kentucky player had suffered a fracture in his foot and could miss the start of the 2023-24 season, a rumor that had been prevalent (but unconfirmed) throughout college basketball. Later that day, Bradshaw participated in UK’s Father-Son Camp at the Joe Craft Center, taking part in basketball activities without wearing any kind of protection on either foot. A high-upside but still-developing big man, Bradshaw clearly could have benefited, if healthy, from participating in the team’s Toronto trip, which will pit the Cats against college-aged players from Africa, Canada and Germany. Calipari acknowledged as much Friday.

“It’s unfortunate for him. But we’ve had guys that couldn’t be there in the summer and came back and played great,” he said. “All I can tell you is every time he grabs me, he says, ‘I love you, Coach.’ Like, this kid is so excited about being here and wants to help us win. “These guys know — even in practice — every practice, the drills are: you win or you lose. Everything we do is with (a) score — you win or you lose. You’re teaching them (that) winning matters. With him, winning matters. ‘I want to come here and I want us to win.’ … For him, it would have been better if he played. But he’ll be fine.” A follow-up question over whether Calipari had any concern that Bradshaw’s recovery might linger into the regular season did not yield a definitive answer.

“Not from what the doctors are telling me,” Calipari said when asked whether he thought Bradshaw might miss real games, before adding a qualifier. “But we will not rush him back.” There has also been persistent talk in recruiting circles that even if Bradshaw did ultimately make it to UK’s campus, he and his circle of advisers might decide to sit out the 2023-24 season completely to protect his draft stock as a possible lottery pick. Calipari, presumably aware of that speculation, added that once Bradshaw decided to go through with the foot surgery, the procedure was done within a couple of days. “So he wants to play,” the UK coach declared.

247Sports ranked Bradshaw as the No. 5 overall player in its final 2023 rankings, which also featured UK teammates Justin Edwards (No. 3) and DJ Wagner (No. 6) in the top 10, with the Wildcats’ overall incoming group rated as the best recruiting class in the country. Bradshaw is also included in some early projections as a lottery pick in the 2024 NBA Draft.

Now now, don't be so negative.

Bradshaw literally posted on Instagram yesterday that he'll be back soon and is definitely playing, he's told BBN multiple times to stay calm, he's playing, etc. etc.

You guys punishing AB for SS's sins is pretty ass-backwards and honestly it's bullshit.

I have full faith that AB will be playing, he has said it at least a half dozen times in the last 2 weeks.

He literally had the surgery so that he was 100% that he COULD play this year, and not get into November, reaggravate it, and have to miss the season.

He didn't have to do that, he could have just taken his chances and let it heal on it's own, but he CHOSE to have the surgery to make sure he was 100% by the season.

But you guys want to tear the kid down anyways, despite him being true to his word every step along the way (tons of you were ripping him also when the USC rumors came out, turns out AB was being truthful the whole time).

It may not be up to AB, that was that was the point of her post.

Everything is pretty positive ..he wants to play and will be healed up a little earlier than many thought. It doesn’t seem like anyone is pressuring him not to play, and he definitely wants to play. I wouldn’t be too worried about it. It doesn’t make sense for him to play in Canada , as no one with any kind of off-season injury would.

I hate reading Cals comments as much as I do actually hearing them. I don’t hate Cal, I just don’t line the way he never says anything.
This is the main reason I can’t stand him. Just be honest and talk like a normal human being and quit feeding us bullshit.

If AB doesn’t play, it will confirm what I have believed for quite some time now. That Cal is simply getting back at the fan base with his/the team’s recent performances.

SS 2.0

The surgery wasn't done in a couple of days because "Aaron wants to play". It just doesn't take that long. Cal is such a liar. How quickly Aaron gets back to play will speak for how badly he wants to play.
Enlighten us. After deciding on surgery or not, how long does it take to have the surgery in your world?

Reactions: awf
I'm not worried about a Sharpe situation. I'm worried that a big man with a foot injury has a decent risk of having lingering issues that keep him out longer than expected, or that he returns and then reinjures it. That's something that's happened plenty of times before. We can't count on having a healthy Bradshaw at this point. We can hope he heals up well and runs full speed all season, but we can't be comfortable in expecting it.

What's the actual injury? Linsfranc or broken toe or soft tissue tear?

I bet he does play for you guys, by January at latest.

Yeah I didn’t enjoy this …but because of the Ben Roberts source and writing about his circle of advisors and using the word speculation gave me a bad vibe …I’ve seen many posters here reference his advisors but not Ben Roberts …he’s about as professional as they come …I have to keep it real even though I tire of the Cal bashing and this program .

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot

How about this. Jared Vanderbilt 2.0. Feel better now?

and just how many times did ccc say SS was going to play the following year
not saying Bradshaw won't play at some point, but yu can NEVER believe a word that the 2 faced used car salesman says...........NEVER
history has taught that over the last 10 years

Nothing in that story supported the doom and gloom assertion that the OP mean I don’t know if you remember Jeff but he likes to stir things up. He used to always post sharp stuff on here. The different news reports on him and just the other pictures today I think he started one that he knew was gonna stir trouble. I do understand the doubt and worry because I have it as well, but this thread was very misleading at this time

You couldn’t be any more spot on with this post Tampa Cat! It’s total bullshit that some of our fans are portraying AB as SS and the two situations couldn’t be more different. Aaron has 100% went out of his way, probably even against advice from multiple people, to ensure BBN that he’s GOING TO PLAY AND DOING EVERYTHING HE CAN TO GET BACK ON THE COURT ASAP!!!! Good gracious some of our fans are just RELENTLESS! Give the kid a damn break!!!!

Like I said, Bradshaw was determined by a section of this board to be the punching bag this coming season no matter how he performs.

This board always picks out players to hate, sometimes justified but not in this case yet IMO.

Just like this board always picks hero players that they worship because of certain factors.

Nothing in that story supported the doom and gloom assertion that the OP mean I don’t know if you remember Jeff but he likes to stir things up. He used to always post sharp stuff on here. The different news reports on him and just the other pictures today I think he started one that he knew was gonna stir trouble. I do understand the doubt and worry because I have it as well, but this thread was very misleading at this time
If you also have doubt and worry and my title says I got a bad vibe how is the title misleading ? …Ben Roberts is a standup writer …even he seems suspicious about this

Yeah Sharpe is my guy …he should have an even better season this year

The foot will heal stronger than it was before . he has no more chance of getting injured than any other first found lottery pick. so if You hold him out you might as well hold all of them out . That’s of course Absurd . AB will play for us

Reactions: gharding07

Nobody's tearing the kid down. We just don't trust him, his people or Cal. When Aaron comes out and says "I will play for UK as soon as possible, or they can revoke my scholarship and roster spot, and I'm not Shaedon Sharpe", we'll feel differently. I have every reason to not trust your narrative. It's that simple.

It may not be up to AB, that was that was the point of her post.
Precisely, I am sure he is a good young man. I am sure he wants to play. But how much of his own destiny will he control the next few months before the next NBA draft? A lot of other people probably have a stake in him doing well in the next draft. Cal has already let Sharpe set a clear path for not having a chance to get re injured.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Enlighten us. After deciding on surgery or not, how long does it take to have the surgery in your world?
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell that you a foot surgery doesn't "take a couple of days". C'mon, give it some thought. What are they doing, cataloging parts and have some on backorder?

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
You guys SUCK. The kid broke a bone in his foot, he had it operated on. He is healing, you geniuses have Zero evidence he will not play this year, ZERO. Yet you trash his charecter and question his integrity because your still MAD about something SS did two years ago. Yeah it was bad and yeah Cal needs to go but leave Bradshaw alöone until he gives you a LEGITIMATE reason

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT