ADVERTISEMENT

Shaedon Sharpe's selfishness and Calipari's support of that selfishness might have cost Kentucky a title.

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
Change my mind.

Sharpe is destroying all the pre-draft camp records and proving that he's worthy of a top 3 pick. Might be the best athlete in the draft since Vince Carter.

Yet some of you wanted us to believed he wasn't ready this season? You look like fools.

Further, we were supposed to believe that "things changed" regarding his draft status, when even last Fall Sharpe was a projected top 10 pick before he came to Kentucky? I'm not buying it.

This is the absolute worst circus that has ever happened to Kentucky, and Calipari signed off on it and probably cost us a title because he valued draft stock over winning.

Isnt the more likely scenario is that Sharpe and his Camp did not want him to play and didnt let him? I know the response is going to be "well Cal should have kicked him off the team" which I mostly agree with but that would have truly been a PR nightmare that we have never seen anymore. I dont know how you can say that Cal cost us a title by not playing him when it is more than likely Sharpe who didnt want to play all along.

Isnt the more likely scenario is that Sharpe and his Camp did not want him to play and didnt let him? I know the response is going to be "well Cal should have kicked him off the team" which I mostly agree with but that would have truly been a PR nightmare that we have never seen anymore. I dont know how you can say that Cal cost us a title by not playing him when it is more than likely Sharpe who didnt want to play all along.
Any player that refuses to play should be kicked off the team.Forget PR nightmare,thats when Cal should have gotten off his ass and told the media and fans what was going on...."Sharpe refused to play for us and I had no choice but to send him home and end the distraction he was creating by not being there for the team"....but nope,Cal told fans to come out and watch the drama king in a damn lay up line.Tbe whole fiasco was unacceptable.

Any player that refuses to play should be kicked off the team.Forget PR nightmare,thats when Cal should have gotten off his ass and told the media and fans what was going on...."Sharpe refused to play for us and I had no choice but to send him home and end the distraction he was creating by not being there for the team"....but nope,Cal told fans to come out and watch the drama king in a damn lay up line.Tbe whole fiasco was unacceptable.
But that would entail Cal putting the program first and he's not going to do that. The fans would have backed him if he'd done just as you say and I think even the media would have sided him.

Change my mind.

Sharpe is destroying all the pre-draft camp records and proving that he's worthy of a top 3 pick. Might be the best athlete in the draft since Vince Carter.

Yet some of you wanted us to believed he wasn't ready this season? You look like fools.

Further, we were supposed to believe that "things changed" regarding his draft status, when even last Fall Sharpe was a projected top 10 pick before he came to Kentucky? I'm not buying it.

This is the absolute worst circus that has ever happened to Kentucky, and Calipari signed off on it and probably cost us a title because he valued draft stock over winning.
Utter bull shit by a fan that can’t cope. Zero supporting data. Never played a single game and no idea how Sharpe would play. Just a desire to rip KY because the poster isn’t man enough to handle basketball. Fact…before the injuries, our team destroyed the national champion in their own house. With Sharpe. You just can’t cope.

Last edited:
The fact that Sharpe was driving around in a Porsche and presumably sharing in team NIL money makes the whole thing even more infuriating. The only reason this happened is because Calipari is a desperate coach who wanted to be able to claim he could sign a #1 player.

This has been greatly debated so I will keep it short and simple as possible.
After Sharpe signed last fall, Krysten Peek, a draft analyst, interviewed him. Larry Vaught quoted Peek as saying Sharpe told her back then that he intended to be in this year's draft and that playing for Ky was secondary to that if it even happened. (I have llinks for everything mentioned in this post - if you want them, ask).
UK admissions clears him to get his scholarship last December/Jan - they had to have a graduation cert., a transcript, and approval for him to ever join the team.
Now, it gets interesting. Tucker did an article detailing the entire timeline with quotes backing everything up from Sharpe, his parents, Washington (his agent/handler), and Cal.
There were quotes for everything, except...... one very, very crucial thing that Kyle threw in the article - Kyle said that Sharpe and his parents wanted to play last year when we had injuries. He said Cal wanted to play him, but Washington shut that down, not wanting to hurt his draft stock. THAT did NOT have a quote surrounding it so I asked Kyle on twitter who said it. Kyle responded "well, it didn't come from the UK side" .....so, who does that leave? The whole article threw Washington under the bus, but it inadvertantly made Cal look bad too, because he let a handler hijack his season. Still, we don't know for sure who gave Kyle that quote.
A couple of days after Kyle's article, everyone was in an uproar on social media about Washingron, calling for his head on a platter. So, Cal goes on the Issel and Pratt radio show and effectively says that the fans should calm down because we don't want to burn our connection to Canadian kids.
What?! After all of this, Cal doesn't want to sever the relationship with Washington (he has delivered several Canadian kids to us over the years).
Now, that does not add up at all - if Washington is truly the one who caused all of this, why doesn't Cal burn his career? How can he, or anyone else ever trust this handler again?

Someone or someones' career should be ruined over this. But it depends who knew what and when they knew it. It depends on who really put the brakes on playing him and who knew he was truly entering the draft this year no matter what.
Not because I am a UK fan, but because this whole thing was unethical and I would be offended even if it happened to Duke. It should not ever happen again.
Cal should be cleared in the mess completely or he should be fired. Washington should save his reputation or he should never touch a HS recruit again. Sharpe should be the #5 draft pick or no NBA org should touch him, his agent, or his parents with a pick at all. Instead, lovers and haters are left to imagine their own scenario.
The only way we will ever know is if reporters/media start doing their job, but I suspect they are afraid of tanking their own career by pressing Cal on it - if they burn their relationship with Cal, their UK BB reporting career is over. And people who care about the program are the only ones who care what and why it happened. So,...... we may never know the whole truth.

From a coaches standpoint if a player refuses to play you cut him loose. The distraction itself might have cost us a run. I definíitely agree with the op I think we run the table it’s sharpe. Cal was held hostage and this recruit who was brought in and pumped to appease the detractors after 9 win season it was all bs. And cal hides until draft day when bbn will collectively heave

Change my mind.

change my mind that this horse has been beaten to death

Utter bull shit by a fan that can’t cope. Zero supporting data. never okay a game d add o no idea how iHeart would play. Just a desired to rip KY because the poster isn’t man enough to handle basketball. Fact…before the injuries, our team destroyed the national champion in their own house. With Sharpe. You just can’t cope.
Blabber blabber blabber

I am sorry but this all falls on Coach Cal. You cannot sit here an blame a kid for this, it is not a good look.
Change my mind.

After Sharpe signed last fall, Krysten Peek, a draft analyst, interviewed him. Larry Vaught quoted Peek as saying Sharpe told her back then that he intended to be in this year's draft and that playing for Ky was secondary to that if it even happened. (I have llinks for everything mentioned in this post - if you want them, ask).
UK admissions clears him to get his scholarship last December/Jan - they had to have a graduation cert., a transcript, and approval for him to ever join the team.
Now, it gets interesting. Tucker did an article detailing the entire timeline with quotes backing everything up from Sharpe, his parents, Washington (his agent/handler), and Cal.
There were quotes for everything, except...... one very, very crucial thing that Kyle threw in the article - Kyle said that Sharpe and his parents wanted to play last year when we had injuries. He said Cal wanted to play him, but Washington shut that down, not wanting to hurt his draft stock. THAT did NOT have a quote surrounding it so I asked Kyle on twitter who said it. Kyle responded "well, it didn't come from the UK side" .....so, who does that leave? The whole article threw Washington under the bus, but it inadvertantly made Cal look bad too, because he let a handler hijack his season. Still, we don't know for sure who gave Kyle that quote.
A couple of days after Kyle's article, everyone was in an uproar on social media about Washingron, calling for his head on a platter. So, Cal goes on the Issel and Pratt radio show and effectively says that the fans should calm down because we don't want to burn our connection to Canadian kids.
What?! After all of this, Cal doesn't want to sever the relationship with Washington (he has delivered several Canadian kids to us over the years).
Now, that does not add up at all - if Washington is truly the one who caused all of this, why doesn't Cal burn his career? How can he, or anyone else ever trust this handler again?

Someone or someones' career should be ruined over this. But it depends who knew what and when they knew it. It depends on who really put the brakes on playing him and who knew he was truly entering the draft this year no matter what.
Not because I am a UK fan, but because this whole thing was unethical and I would be offended even if it happened to Duke. It should not ever happen again.
Cal should be cleared in the mess completely or he should be fired. Washington should save his reputation or he should never touch a HS recruit again. Sharpe should be the #5 draft pick or no NBA org should touch him, his agent, or his parents with a pick at all. Instead, lovers and haters are left to imagine their own scenario.
The only way we will ever know is if reporters/media start doing their job, but I suspect they are afraid of tanking their own career by pressing Cal on it - if they burn their relationship with Cal, their UK BB reporting career is over. And people who care about the program are the only ones who care what and why it happened. So,...... we may never know the whole truth.
I’ve been of the belief that Sharpes parents gave that to KT and do feel theres significant infighting going on within the camp. At least at that time. Calipari later talked about the parents still having a say in the matter, when discussing next year.

However I don’t think Sharpe is in agreement with them (his parents) well that’s pretty normal for a teenager. There just a lot more on the line. Washington does seem to pull the strings despite whatever his parents or Cal or anybody else wants.

But as much as I think Tucker is a suck up to UK, it’s standard fare for any reporter to protect sources. In fact they should always do it in my opinion.

Has this not been a “PR nightmare” anyways? I don’t see how that has been averted.

If nothing else, it’s sure illustrates how times have changed. It used to be that a player refusing to play was absolutely considered grounds for getting kicked off the team. A player dictating to the coach when or if he’ll play simply would not be tolerated.

But appears that’s no longer how it works.

Cal is the coach not Dwayne Washington

How could it be a PR nightmare for UK

Coach asks player to go into game, player refuses to protect his draft stock.

It would have been a watershed moment in college basketball. Every college program and every sports reporter that doesn't have an axe to grind with the NCAA would have been behind Kentucky's decision to let him go.

No one who cares about the game of college basketball would support a decion for a kid to use a program simply to prepare for the NBA

which is part of the reason so many fans dislike Cal now - because he puts that on a billboard on the UK campus
"Come to Kentucky and use us to prepare for the NBA". The truth is Cal deserved this situation. He created it, he encouraged it and he thought he was big enough to control it. He was wrong - about many, many things. His hubris has lead to the downfall of our program to the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
If Sharpe wanted to play ne should have played - handler or no handler. If he didn’t want to play he should have left the team. Cal could have kicked him off the team at any time but he may have been hoping the kid would show up to play one day. Damn shame TyTy and Grady were playing injured at the end of the season. I’m moving on to the season coming up.

Reactions: Graham51 and UK90
How could it be a PR nightmare for UK

Coach asks player to go into game, player refuses to protect his draft stock.

It would have been a watershed moment in college basketball. Every college program and every sports reporter that doesn't have an axe to grind with the NCAA would have been behind Kentucky's decision to let him go.

No one who cares about the game of college basketball would support a decion for a kid to use a program simply to prepare for the NBA

which is part of the reason so many fans dislike Cal now - because he puts that on a billboard on the UK campus
"Come to Kentucky and use us to prepare for the NBA". The truth is Cal deserved this situation. He created it, he encouraged it and he thought he was big enough to control it. He was wrong - about many, many things. His hubris has lead to the downfall of our program to the foreseeable future.
Yeah, but did Cal ever even ask him to go in? I don't think he did and that's even worse. It’s a really bad look for Cal. Dwayne Washington punked him and basically dictated how a UK player would be handled and Cal did what he was told.

Now, Cal is avoiding the fanbase. He's been in hiding and it's because he knows he screwed up and there is nothing he can say that will remove the big red hand print from his face.

And this thought about negative recruiting if he kicked SS off the team, is garbage. He's already been getting his butt kicked on the recruiting trail, so what does it matter? His yelling during games has probably done more damage to recruiting than anything else.

The guy is a has-been and we're stuck with him unfortunately.

Change my mind.

When hasn't he valued draft stock over winning??

This is my belief as well and I agree even tho it would be correct to kick him off the team you just can’t do that from a PR and future recruiting perspective. Pisses me off as much as anyone, but I assume this will end the none and done at UK moving forward. Based on how badly this reflects on Cal and the program I don’t think he can allow it to happen again.

I don’t harbor any bad feelings toward Sharpe. But, if I never heard his name again that would be fine by me. Good riddance.

Change my mind.

If he is as legit as he seems, and turns out to be a rookie scoring machine at the NBA level, might as well shut down this board.

Awaiting a Bass reply that won’t come.

The fact that Sharpe was driving around in a Porsche and presumably sharing in team NIL money makes the whole thing even more infuriating. The only reason this happened is because Calipari is a desperate coach who wanted to be able to claim he could sign a #1 player.
The he wants to say he signed a #1 player is so stupid and pointless that I cannot believe that factored into it, I think he just didn’t want the optics of kicking the kid off. He probably thought there was a shot he would play before letting him on the team then things changed.

Change my mind.

Well, this is the same man that said it was the greatest day in UK basketball history when we had 5 dudes drafted in the 1st round. It didn't bother me when we were winning. Each and every season, Cal has slowly tempered expectations. I mean, we are to the point now that the regular season doesn't matter. But what if you lose in the 1st round to a 15 seed, or fail to make the Final-4 for 7 years?

But yeah, keep scheduling the sisters of the poor at Rupp, while simultaneously walking around telling everyone we are the gold standard.

If Sharpe goes in the top 10 draft picks it was a smart move not to play. From what I can read, other than workouts, he isn't playing in any other games. So, no issues or weaknesses have been exposed.

I hold Cal responsible. As an example, if you feel Pitino was responsible for the scandals he claims he didn't know about, then every coach is responsible for his program (as it should be or you are a hypocrite). So whether Cal was lied to, or was fine about what was occurring, he is responsible.

I have said since the beginning and still feel that if Sharpe stays in the draft then Cal should either be terminated or suspended. The program was thus taken advantage of at a cost in several ways as was the University.

By the way you can search my posts and I have always stated that I thought Cal was the right coach and representative for our program. So it cuts both ways.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it cost us a title. There's no guarantee that we win the title even with Sharpe. And, going into the tournament, we were one of the betting favorites to win the title even without Sharpe.

But, CAL should have never allowed this situation with Sharpe. I won't ever believe that he wasn't aware of the situation from day 1. Maybe the situation changed with the injuries and CAL wanted Sharpe to play and Washington shut it down. Who knows? But, the situation with Sharpe joining the team mid-season, presumably partake in NIL money and drive around a Porsche, and never play a minute of basketball at UK and leave for the draft at season's end...should have never happened. CAL allowed that whole situation to play out and was complicit from Day 1.

I’d bet he’s not as good as the hype. Why else wouldn’t he play?

He also told the fans if they wanted to see him play, come to the games and watch him warm up. Lmao, what a clown

Obviously there's no way to change OP's mind, so the point is moot, but I'm going to take a shot at it.
I always try to put myself in someone else's shoes. So here's my (albeit simplistic) attempt to think like Cal through the various stages of this mess.

(writing this as IF I WAS CAL)
  • In recruiting SS, I would have certainly known there was a good chance he might not play, but it was still worth it to recruit and land the #1 player in the class with the chance he'd change his mind. Like it or not, landing the #1 recruit helps future recruiting. No brainer-I've gotta go after him.
  • I know there's a chance he won't play for us, but at least he'll practice with the team and help make us stronger. Plus, I get to claim another NBA lottery pick (which helps future recruiting)! The fans will love me for it!
  • True, I don't love the fact that I have to deal with Washington, but he's funneled other great players to me in the past, so the orange is worth the squeeze. I'll be able to convince SS to play once he sees how great this team could be with him on the court!
  • Who needs SS? ;) My team is playing great without him mid-season. We look like one of the top teams in the country, and my guys are firing on all cylinders. It's looking like SS may not play, but that's ok. I'm doing what's best for SS's future, and it looks like we may not need him after all!
  • Well, crap. The injury bug is threatening to derail things. What the heck am I going to do with all these injuries? I'd love to shut down Ty and Wheeler and even Grady for a couple of weeks each while working SS into the rotation, but Washington says no. The fans are really getting restless about SS staying on the pine, but they'll really crucify me if we don't keep pushing hard for that #1 seed. I'm going to keep working on Washington- maybe I can get him to come around.
  • Well, it's official, Washington says SS won't play. That pisses me off- we really need him. Should I kick SS off the team? There would be some nasty media fallout. Plus, like it or not, UK won't get credit for putting him in the NBA. The guys like having him around, and it's really not hurting us to keep him in practice, but the fans are getting really pissed off at this point. Boy, talk about a no-win situation.

Sharpe is gonna be a top 5 pick in the NBA draft but we had a lot of people on here telling us he wasn’t ready to play against sec competition 😂😂
AND NOW they all say let’s just move on. After calling us realists every name in the book and acting like we were out of our minds. Can’t make this up

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT