ADVERTISEMENT

Cal's Handling of Shaedon Sharpe

theGreatestTradition

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2022
Louisville, KY
This is will be an unpopular opinion, but I've never understood the massive anger towards Cal regarding his handling of the Shaedon Sharpe situation. It's an unfortunate situation all around. I'm just as frustrated as everyone else that Sharpe will never step foot on the floor in a Kentucky uniform. But this is not all on Coach Cal, and the outcome ultimately would've been the same had Sharpe enrolled at any other school.

Sharpe and his parents pushed the narrative that he would return to Kentucky next season and stood firm on that position from the moment he enrolled early. That was always the plan (at least that's what they said.) Yes, Cal reaffirmed their position and led us to believe Sharpe would be back next year. It seems fans are most frustrated with Cal's reaffirmation. But who's to say Cal knew all along that Sharp would depart after not playing a single second for Kentucky? I simply do not believe that. In fact, there were questions surrounding Sharpe's eligibility for the NBA draft before he decided to enroll at Kentucky. Cal may have been naïve (and maybe I am too) and might deserve some criticism for that, but he didn't blatantly lie to our fanbase. In what way does that benefit Cal? It doesn't, and the "Cal only cares about the NBA and doesn't care about Kentucky" argument is an emotional one. If Cal could have played Sharpe this season, he would've. But that was never the expectation nor was it an option, frankly. He brought the kid here hoping that he would learn the system early, get a head start on strength and conditioning, and be the superstar the Cats need to win a national title next season.

Even if Cal knew Sharpe might not return to Kentucky next year, what do you propose he should've done? He couldn't have betrayed the family's wishes by playing Sharpe - for obvious reasons. He would've been foolish to publicly contradict what Sharpe's parents/camp said about the plan to return next season. Should Cal have pushed Sharpe out the door, telling him to find another program or wait until next season? Absolutely not. That would've forfeited Kentucky's chances, however great or slim, to land a potential program-changing talent. If the kid is as good as advertised, you absolutely HAVE to take him and hope he stays true to his word. Fans have blasted Cal for his recent inability to pull in top prospects. Sharpe was the #1 recruit in the 2022 class and the potential #1 pick in the 2023 draft. How upset would we all have been if Cal had let him walk knowing there's a possibility he could go play for, say, Kansas (one of the schools he considered)? What happened is unfortunate, but it seems Cal found himself in a lose-lose situation.

Don't get me wrong. I'm as frustrated as anyone with Cal's lack of production over the last 5 or so years. Things need to change and they need to change quickly. The Sharpe situation sucks and it will be hard to fill his shoes next season. But Cal is not to blame for what happened IMO.

I'm reserving an opinion until he's gone.

At this point, even if the kid is seriously considering or planning on being here next year, our fans are absolutely imploding, tagging him and his mentor in nasty stuff on twitter and instagram, threatening them and tagging Cal, etc.

I wouldn't even want to come back at this point.

At this point, even if the kid is seriously considering or planning on being here next year, our fans are absolutely imploding, tagging him and his mentor in nasty stuff on twitter and instagram, threatening them and tagging Cal, etc.

It's embarrassing. At least let the event happen before you get upset. Bunch of children out there.

I agree with you, but since when do most UK fans make sense. They’re butt-hurt over the loss to Saint Peters and have to take it out on somebody. Cal’s everyone’s punching bag. Stupid, but true.

Reactions: jauk11 and Lempface
Well, by taking Sharpe, who might not ever play, resulted in us not recruiting any other players in this class, based on the fact that we believed he would be playing for UK.

If he doesn’t play, it absolutely screws us as the team was built around him for this coming year.

Cal could have taken numerous players, who would presumably play for UK this coming season.

If he does comeback and play, it’s moot, if not, see above. Make sense now?

I agree with you, but since when do most UK fans make sense. They’re butt-hurt over the loss to Saint Peters and have to take it out on somebody. Cal’s everyone’s punching bag. Stupid, but true.
Who should the anger be directed at? Cal has made plenty of “firsts” for this program, most of them are not good.

This is will be an unpopular opinion, but I've never understood the massive anger towards Cal regarding his handling of the Shaedon Sharpe situation. It's an unfortunate situation all around. I'm just as frustrated as everyone else that Sharpe will never step foot on the floor in a Kentucky uniform. But this is not all on Coach Cal, and the outcome ultimately would've been the same had Sharpe enrolled at any other school.

Sharpe and his parents pushed the narrative that he would return to Kentucky next season and stood firm on that position from the moment he enrolled early. That was always the plan (at least that's what they said.) Yes, Cal reaffirmed their position and led us to believe Sharpe would be back next year. It seems fans are most frustrated with Cal's reaffirmation. But who's to say Cal knew all along that Sharp would depart after not playing a single second for Kentucky? I simply do not believe that. In fact, there were questions surrounding Sharpe's eligibility for the NBA draft before he decided to enroll at Kentucky. Cal may have been naïve (and maybe I am too) and might deserve some criticism for that, but he didn't blatantly lie to our fanbase. In what way does that benefit Cal? It doesn't, and the "Cal only cares about the NBA and doesn't care about Kentucky" argument is an emotional one. If Cal could have played Sharpe this season, he would've. But that was never the expectation nor was it an option, frankly. He brought the kid here hoping that he would learn the system early, get a head start on strength and conditioning, and be the superstar the Cats need to win a national title next season.

Even if Cal knew Sharpe might not return to Kentucky next year, what do you propose he should've done? He couldn't have betrayed the family's wishes by playing Sharpe - for obvious reasons. He would've been foolish to publicly contradict what Sharpe's parents/camp said about the plan to return next season. Should Cal have pushed Sharpe out the door, telling him to find another program or wait until next season? Absolutely not. That would've forfeited Kentucky's chances, however great or slim, to land a potential program-changing talent. If the kid is as good as advertised, you absolutely HAVE to take him and hope he stays true to his word. Fans have blasted Cal for his recent inability to pull in top prospects. Sharpe was the #1 recruit in the 2022 class and the potential #1 pick in the 2023 draft. How upset would we all have been if Cal had let him walk knowing there's a possibility he could go play for, say, Kansas (one of the schools he considered)? What happened is unfortunate, but it seems Cal found himself in a lose-lose situation.

Don't get me wrong. I'm as frustrated as anyone with Cal's lack of production over the last 5 or so years. Things need to change and they need to change quickly. The Sharpe situation sucks and it will be hard to fill his shoes next season. But Cal is not to blame for what happened IMO.
Well said. Any other program would have done the same. People who are criticizing are just butt hurt that he didn’t play. They are not looking at it rationally.

Reactions: jauk11 and Lempface
No offense OP. . .

But Mods can we please condense the amount of Sharpe threads that are just rehashing the same thing?

Who should the anger be directed at? Cal has made plenty of “firsts” for this program, most of them are not good.

Please. Cal was the recipient of ALL the adulation fans and state media heaped on him in his early years. All that love created Swaggy Cal. Now, he has to man up and take the heat for the mess he's created. You can't accept one and run away from the other. Well, actually, I guess you can, because that's what he does.

Please. Cal was the recipient of ALL the adulation fans and state media heaped on him in his early years. All that love created Swaggy Cal. Now, he has to man up and take the heat for the mess he's created. You can't accept one and run away from the other. Well, actually, I guess you can, because that's what he does.
Why not? That’s the new American way man.

Yes and no. Yes for being stupid. But ultimately Sharpe’s handlers get the rest. That’s the problem with our country, we don’t blame perpetrators of actions enough.
CAL RECRUITED THE TEAM. He recruited Sharpe, he should have known all along what the possibilities were. I’m sure he did so, it’s on him. It’s not rocket science bro.

Agree but not sure why you quoted me? Lol.

Reactions: BlueBomb
CAL RECRUITED THE TEAM. He recruited Sharpe, he should have known all along what the possibilities were. I’m sure he did so, it’s on him. It’s not rocket science bro.
Again. Not defending Cal per se, but we should’ve told the No 1 player no? Would any other coach do that?

Ah yes, there it is, the old bassfat canard that it's the FANS' FAULT that Sharpe is leaving. Those MEAN OL' NASTY FANS!!!

But then the fans have no power or voice when it comes to Cal.

God you guys are pathetic.

Should you not recruit any player that could be drafted first round out of high school on the off chance they get cleared to go to the draft unexpectedly?

Nobody takes the imbeciles and halfwits on twitter and instagram, echoed by the Rafters crowd, seriously. If Sharpe did decide to come back -- a big long shot no doubt -- all the rabid curs on social media, including this site, would kiss his ass immediately -- and he and his handlers would laugh at them.
You can't be a grown man.No man would hang off Cal's nuts like you do.

Cal swore he would never be held hostage by a recruit.

HOW are you still NOT getting this through your head? Cal COMPROMISED his principles at the very LEAST. Who's to say what other lies he's told in this saga?
I’m not saying he didn’t. Again. Not defending Cal. But I’d imagine almost any coach would be in a crap spot right now with this situation. Very much damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

Yes and no. Yes for being stupid. But ultimately Sharpe’s handlers get the rest. That’s the problem with our country, we don’t blame perpetrators of actions enough.
I think they all hustled together, if sharpe wasn’t a part of it himself he could have played.

Cal knew he wasn’t coming back next year. Name ONE single player he’s brought in during his entire time at UK where a top 10 pick has come back. Just one. In fact, he generally tells them they have to go if they’re a lottery pick or even a first round pick. There’s way too much past evidence of how this was going to unfold.

Unfortunately, I agree and this situation has gotten completely out of hand. It is pathetic that some would threaten a young kid for any reason at all, especially over basketball. Shaedon might actually be a really great kid, and most likely just have the wrong people guiding him. Also with these forums being just a click away for anyone, people have to know that recruits read these boards, not only Kentucky's, but every college they are interested in or vice-versa. I would want to get a look at the fan base if I were being recruited by a college, and I would definitely be monitoring them if my child was too. We all know just how ugly some can be, hopefully these kids know that it is a minority that doesn't have any class, and all fanbases have them. It still makes it very embarrassing though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT