ADVERTISEMENT

Love him, hate him, indifferent: Shaedon Sharpe is FINALLY gonna play a real game

JST390-2

Junior
Nov 1, 2015
Florida
None-and-done, yet he’s still a “former University of Kentucky player”?

That has been a topic of debate since Shaedon Sharpe decided to keep his name in the NBA Draft without ever playing a game for the Wildcats.

Yet he went on to be the seventh overall pick and will be front-and-center late Thursday night (and/or super early Friday morning) when he is expected to make his NBA Las Vegas Summer League debut with the Portland Trail Blazers.

Whether it claims him or not, surely Big Blue Nation will be interested to see how he fares.

Blazers loved him so much they drafted him instead of trading for veteran help for Lillard

Portland loves Sharpe …he was their guy all along …they just thought he’d be gone by 7

Anyway, it’s must see TV …and not just for UK fans …I’m very interested myself after months of discussing him

Last edited:
Hate that we had a dude who likely makes us the title favorite and we didn't insert him. Cal mishandles midseason guys every time so we need to stop taking them unless the deal is hat they are going to play from day one and be worked in slowly.

Diallo was in the same boat. We could have used his athleticism and depth in 2017 when our entire team fouled out against UNC. Instead he wasn't brought along throughout the season so he wasn't even an option and it was a "next year or nothin" situation.

The agreement should be that if you come midseason that you have to be willing to play spot minutes at minimum (for experience) in year one even if the intent is to prep and get a "headstart" for "year 2"

Congrats Sharpe, you're a millionaire. You'll have all the cars, bling, girls etc. But you know what you'll never have? Honor. Integrity. Character. You'll be a millionaire alright. But you'll also be a lying, using, cowardly, no character bum. ...and I'll admit that I'm butthurt and petty, when you admit what you are. You won't be able to buy character.

Anyway, it’s must see TV …and not just for UK fans …I’m very interested myself after months of discussing him
LOL. I’d hope nobody is so bored in life that they’d ever regard a summer league game to be “must see TV” …much less just to see some entitled 19-year-old who refused to play for UK.

That said, I am admittedly curious to see how he does.

We finally found out what team was paying Givony to push the Sharpe agenda. Mike Schmitz (Givonys Draft Express Buddy) is now the Asst GM for the Blazers. Sharpe was their guy the whole time. I’m sure they made him the guarantee. As much as I despise Dwayne and hate how Sharpe handled it, if you have a top 10 guarantee you go.

If you had to choose one of the three options below which would it be?

1) WNBA
2) The View
3) Shaedon Sharpe debut
4) Gouge my eyes out with a rusty nail so I don't have to watch any of them
July is a music month so the TV don't come on much. Might mix in the Weather Channel every once in a while. Not much to see it's 97 all week and we have a burn ban so no 4th celebration. I'm bored as fk, made it back from Orlando a week ago and it's hard to entertain myself with nothing on and just Bowling Green around. The hell with Shaedon he is a villain from his actions here.

Congrats Sharpe, you're a millionaire. You'll have all the cars, bling, girls etc. But you know what you'll never have? Honor. Integrity. Character. You'll be a millionaire alright. But you'll also be a lying, using, cowardly, no character bum. ...and I'll admit that I'm butthurt and petty, when you admit what you are. You won't be able to buy character.
I would have hated to have my entire future life judged by me at 18.

None-and-done, yet he’s still a “former University of Kentucky player”?

That has been a topic of debate since Shaedon Sharpe decided to keep his name in the NBA Draft without ever playing a game for the Wildcats.

Yet he went on to be the seventh overall pick and will be front-and-center late Thursday night (and/or super early Friday morning) when he is expected to make his NBA Las Vegas Summer League debut with the Portland Trail Blazers.

Whether it claims him or not, surely Big Blue Nation will be interested to see how he fares.

Blazers loved him so much they drafted him instead of trading for veteran help for Lillard

Portland loves Sharpe …he was their guy all along …they just thought he’d be gone by 7

I couldn't honestly care any less about the deceiving liar. He's nothing but a "sad footnote" in the history of Calipari's tenure as UK's coach. I will never consider him part of the UK legacy and certainly not a former "player" for UK ... because "he did not play for UK" ... not because he couldn't but because he "chose" not to WHILE accepting all the benefits of being a player at UK. He used the Program for his own selfish purposes. If Calipari sees himself as a mentor and life coach ... he failed miserably with this kid. Essentially, Sharpe learned, from Calipari, that deceit and lying to get what you want in life, is acceptable. I don't wish Sharpe anything but exactly "what he deserves". He's not a former UK player ... he is simply (N)one (A)nd (D)one (S)harpe. An appropriate name for a child that used and abused the Program which is not much different from what Calipari has done to this Program since the 2012 Title.

LOL. I’d hope nobody is so bored in life that they’d ever regard a summer league game to be “must see TV” …much less just to see some entitled 19-year-old who refused to play for UK.

That said, I am admittedly curious to see how he does.
As am I …I was just as hurt by the way things played out at UK as any other Cat’ fan …I think Shaedon was a pawn in games adults play …kid just turned 19 …word is he’s shy and that clearly comes out in his recent interviews …not assertive at all socially.

I can’t hate on a kid who’s life changed immeasurably because he’s got great BB skills …I’m pulling for him big time …and yeah since Sharpe has been labeled the “Mystery” man there will be a lot more than just UK and Portland fans tuning in …I can’t wait …Portland fans echoing the same thoughts .

July is a music month so the TV don't come on much. Might mix in the Weather Channel every once in a while. Not much to see it's 97 all week and we have a burn ban so no 4th celebration. I'm bored as fk, made it back from Orlando a week ago and it's hard to entertain myself with nothing on and just Bowling Green around. The hell with Shaedon he is a villain from his actions here.
Welcome to my day yesterday. It was too damn hot to do anything. 97 degree heat index at 10 at night.

No tv worth squat yesterday either. I about went bonkers.

I would have hated to have my entire future life judged by me at 18.
It would be a shame being raised not knowing or valuing character, keeping your word, honor. Some of us were, and have no worries about not having those simple morals when we were 18. I was raised in a way where some things were more important than money. Met a lot of 18yo Marines that would tell you the same thing.

It would be a shame being raised not knowing or valuing character, keeping your word, honor. Some of us were, and have no worries about not having those simple morals when we were 18. I was raised in a way where some things were more important than money. Met a lot of 18yo Marines that would tell you the same thing.
Your military mindset doesn’t work on kids. The fact you are throwing away a kid because he hurt your feeling is something I can’t get on board with.

Your military mindset doesn’t work on kids. The fact you are throwing away a kid because he hurt your feeling is something I can’t get on board with.
I didn't join until I was 22, married and with a kid (after Sept 11). Just saying I saw a lot of 18yo that had more character than SS. My children were raised with more character. I'm not throwing away a kid. I'm calling out a young man on his lack of character and honor based on known facts. You dying on a hill defending him like he was a UK player or did anything other than lie to and use Kentucky is something I can't get on board with.

I didn't join until I was 22, married and with a kid (after Sept 11). Just saying I saw a lot of 18yo that had more character than SS. My children were raised with more character. I'm not throwing away a kid. I'm calling out a young man on his lack of character and honor based on known facts. You dying on a hill defending him like he was a UK player or did anything other than lie to and use Kentucky is something I can't get on board with.
I read 15% quit during basic training. I have a 19 year old and a 17 year old. So I will always be on the side of supporting kids whether they make good decisions or dumb decisions. I don’t like how the Sharpe fiasco went down any less than you. But I can’t and won’t judge his character on this decision alone. He has a whole life ahead of him. He may turn out to be one of the best people that ever lived. He may one day with some maturity admit he wishes things had played out different. All I’m saying is don’t throw away a kid at 18.

Reactions: Lempface
I read 15% quit during basic training. I have a 19 year old and a 17 year old. So I will always be on the side of supporting kids whether they make good decisions or dumb decisions. I don’t like how the Sharpe fiasco went down any less than you. But I can’t and won’t judge his character on this decision alone. He has a whole life ahead of him. He may turn out to be one of the best people that ever lived. He may one day with some maturity admit he wishes things had played out different. All I’m saying is don’t throw away a kid at 18.
Let's just say, based on how/who he was raised, but wouldn't hold my breath in terms on a long term investment. Being raised to think that his actions are acceptable is a hard thing to break. He was raised by people that taught him it is ok to use people (even your own child) for financial gains. Placing money over integrity. When your own parents raise you that way, it's in your DNA.

Side note; We only had a couple guys quit during boot camp. It's actually a lot more mentally challenging than physically. It's a lot easier to get stronger physically than mentally. A person's mind will always either strengthen or weaken their body. I was four years older than most. Which might as well been decades when comparing a married 22yo parent to an 18yo living at their parents. I was able to excel and breeze through boot camp.

Let's just say, based on how/who he was raised, but wouldn't hold my breath in terms on a long term investment. Being raised to think that his actions are acceptable is a hard thing to break. He was raised by people that taught him it is ok to use people (even your own child) for financial gains. Placing money over integrity. When your own parents raise you that way, it's in your DNA.

Side note; We only had a couple guys quit during boot camp. It's actually a lot more mentally challenging than physically. It's a lot easier to get stronger physically than mentally. A person's mind will always either strengthen or weaken their body. I was four years older than most. Which might as well been decades when comparing a married 22yo parent to an 18yo living at their parents. I was able to excel and breeze through boot camp.
I do applaud your service. And despite our differences I appreciate your opinion.

I am curious, I must say. It may be a morbid curiosity at this point, but I do want to see him. I want to see if I should be more upset or less, and if the hype surrounding him was real or just talk. Anyone can dunk in warm-ups.

Having said this, I totally understand why some (maybe most) UK fans hope he falls flat on his face. I do NOT consider him a "former UK player." I will not support him or cheer for him like I do other NBA guys who actually played at UK. One and done is bad enough. None and done is unacceptable. We owe this kid nothing. If anything, he owes UK big time. He should be asked to pay back every penny of scholarship money he used while getting publicity and taking advantage of our school and our brand.

My guess is he’s gonna be overwhelmed initially when people of his athletic ability are actually trying to guard him. He may adjust or he may not.

We finally found out what team was paying Givony to push the Sharpe agenda. Mike Schmitz (Givonys Draft Express Buddy) is now the Asst GM for the Blazers. Sharpe was their guy the whole time. I’m sure they made him the guarantee. As much as I despise Dwayne and hate how Sharpe handled it, if you have a top 10 guarantee you go.
Cal disagreed with you. He said all along, "now if he can get a guarantee from a team to be a top 5, maybe top 6 pick, then we have to talk about are you ready for this, is this what you want?, but otherwise, he comes back and is the number one pick next year".
I used quotations without actually looking it up again, but it is pretty close to exact words. Now, was he just talking out of his rear, or does he really think the longterm financial benefit for someone with SS talent (and lack of exposure) would be to come back and try for number one if he couldn't crack top 5, maybe 6 at worse?
IDK, but Cal said he knows what a future #1 looks like and it was SS. If he really, actually, truly was a #1 draft talent, maybe the contract and longevity would be better as Cal claimed it would. I am no expert on the nuances of NBA guaranteed contracts or the whiff rate of players out of HS straight to the NBA.

I'd like to see him play and look flustered and terrible after going from live action against high schoolers to taking a year and a half off of basketball to sit out for the draft.

Hope the grown man athleticism of the G League chews him up and spits him out. Sorry, not sorry, I don't like him, I don't claim him, I don't wish him the best.

So, I sit there on bench knowing the point guard on my team has a busted arm. I know the two guard on my team has an injury to his knee/ankle. The guy backing up the point has plantar fasciitis in BOTH feet. Do you know how painful that is? I would be demanding to be in the game. This guy sits there like a lump on a log. Worthless...this isn't about Kentucky fans. It is about your teammates. If he wouldn't help his teammates in this situation, then Sharpe should have been sitting in the dorms and not on the bench. Sharpe was not part of the team. This was all a big joke and pathetic.

The moment Cal knew what was going on, Sharpe should have disappeared from the team. I don't care if Sharpe one day has an epiphany that he did wrong. His thoughts mean little to me. He didn't play at UK. He just wore a uniform.

Hate that we had a dude who likely makes us the title favorite and we didn't insert him. Cal mishandles midseason guys every time so we need to stop taking them unless the deal is hat they are going to play from day one and be worked in slowly.

Diallo was in the same boat. We could have used his athleticism and depth in 2017 when our entire team fouled out against UNC. Instead he wasn't brought along throughout the season so he wasn't even an option and it was a "next year or nothin" situation.

The agreement should be that if you come midseason that you have to be willing to play spot minutes at minimum (for experience) in year one even if the intent is to prep and get a "headstart" for "year 2"
Diallo was terrible. Awful. Come on. His freshman year, the board couldn’t be more negative. But now the convenient, and false narrative: “We could’ve used him”.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT