ADVERTISEMENT

Cal's Handling of Shaedon Sharpe

Unfortunately, I agree and this situation has gotten completely out of hand. It is pathetic that some would threaten a young kid for any reason at all, especially over basketball. Shaedon might actually be a really great kid, and most likely just have the wrong people guiding him. Also with these forums being just a click away for anyone, people have to know that recruits read these boards, not only Kentucky's, but every college they are interested in or vice-versa. I would want to get a look at the fan base if I were being recruited by a college, and I would definitely be monitoring them if my child was too. We all know just how ugly some can be, hopefully these kids know that it is a minority that doesn't have any class, and all fanbases have them. It still makes it very embarrassing though.
I haven’t seen a single person on here threaten anyone including Sharpe. Has he been criticized? Absolutely, but not threatened. I don’t get on Twitter or any of the other social media shitshows ((other than Facebook) so maybe it’s happened there. It hasn’t happened here though.

Like a scripted play coming out of a timeout...

6LPxZd0.png

Last edited:
There is zero chance he’s coming back. What logical reason would there be to not play if he was coming back? He doesn’t owe it to us to play either. I’m not mad at him. This is Cals fault. You tell the kid, if you’re on scholarship and you’re part of this team, and you’re good enough, you play. If you don’t want to do that, go somewhere else and sit. Period.

Again. Not defending Cal per se, but we should’ve told the No 1 player no? Would any other coach do that?
What’s wrong with just taking the commitment for 2023. Knowing he was not going to play in the spring there was nothing gained by his reclass and enrolling and then going through practice and pregame drills. He wasn’t ready to play but he’s ready to go too 10 in the draft a few months later 😂

So--what new recruit wants to sit the bench while sharpe plays---

All this does is cement the shortfall for guards on the 2022/2023 team.

Just more BS allowed to simmer and boil while UK flounders about with no resolution.

Just admit the TRUTH and BE GONE!!

rr
I may be reading this wrong, but it sounds like you want him gone. I believe he would help this team and will hope he comes back!

What’s wrong with just taking the commitment for 2023. Knowing he was not going to play in the spring there was nothing gained by his reclass and enrolling and then going through practice and pregame drills. He wasn’t ready to play but he’s ready to go too 10 in the draft a few months later 😂
Say you say no and he pull his commitment.

Sure, same boat now but holy ish would the fan base have crucified him. Again, Cal has made his own bed. But geez. This whole thing seemed like a no win for anyone at UK from the beginning.

You make it seem simple, you recruit the best guy and the 2nd and 3rd aren't going to want to come play behind him.
It is simple. If the “best guy” has a possibility to go to the NBA, move on. Despite all his clamoring, Cal and the Sharpes knew this was a possibility before he ever set foot on campus.

99 percent of these kids, if given the chance to go to the NBA, will do just that. Go with the ones that want to be in college.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
"Out damned spot--Out I say"

begok--brooks--sharpe

Get rid of the impediments to UK WINS!!

begok--I'm here to help the players--wins are not an issue.
brooks--RUPP, I don't know anything--but remove his name from the arena
sharpe--I'm here--I'm going-- I can prevent another guard from coming to UK

All 3 detriments to the future WINS for UK

rr

At this point, even if the kid is seriously considering or planning on being here next year, our fans are absolutely imploding, tagging him and his mentor in nasty stuff on twitter and instagram, threatening them and tagging Cal, etc.

I wouldn't even want to come back at this point.

That is ridiculous. The kid could read my comments on here in passing but I would never directly send them to him.

I would never ever make a threat. I wouldn't even directly message him...on top of that, especially when it is not certain he is gone (no matter you me or anyone else thinks).

Some people need to grow up. Embarrassment.

Last edited:
"Out damned spot--Out I say"

begok--brooks--sharpe

Get rid of the impediments to UK WINS!!

begok--I'm here to help the players--wins are not an issue.
brooks--RUPP, I don't know anything--but remove his name from the arena
sharpe--I'm here--I'm going-- I can prevent another guard from coming to UK

All 3 detriments to the future WINS for UK

rr

For the love of everything holy....please someone tell me what begok is. I know it is a reference to Cal but know clue what that nickname is.

I'm pretty sure it came from what I call the "nuthouse" board...never posted on it, but damn have I gotten some laughs from reading it.

Pretty sure it was the board started by that lunatic in early '00's.

This is will be an unpopular opinion, but I've never understood the massive anger towards Cal regarding his handling of the Shaedon Sharpe situation. It's an unfortunate situation all around. I'm just as frustrated as everyone else that Sharpe will never step foot on the floor in a Kentucky uniform. But this is not all on Coach Cal, and the outcome ultimately would've been the same had Sharpe enrolled at any other school.

Sharpe and his parents pushed the narrative that he would return to Kentucky next season and stood firm on that position from the moment he enrolled early. That was always the plan (at least that's what they said.) Yes, Cal reaffirmed their position and led us to believe Sharpe would be back next year. It seems fans are most frustrated with Cal's reaffirmation. But who's to say Cal knew all along that Sharp would depart after not playing a single second for Kentucky? I simply do not believe that. In fact, there were questions surrounding Sharpe's eligibility for the NBA draft before he decided to enroll at Kentucky. Cal may have been naïve (and maybe I am too) and might deserve some criticism for that, but he didn't blatantly lie to our fanbase. In what way does that benefit Cal? It doesn't, and the "Cal only cares about the NBA and doesn't care about Kentucky" argument is an emotional one. If Cal could have played Sharpe this season, he would've. But that was never the expectation nor was it an option, frankly. He brought the kid here hoping that he would learn the system early, get a head start on strength and conditioning, and be the superstar the Cats need to win a national title next season.

Even if Cal knew Sharpe might not return to Kentucky next year, what do you propose he should've done? He couldn't have betrayed the family's wishes by playing Sharpe - for obvious reasons. He would've been foolish to publicly contradict what Sharpe's parents/camp said about the plan to return next season. Should Cal have pushed Sharpe out the door, telling him to find another program or wait until next season? Absolutely not. That would've forfeited Kentucky's chances, however great or slim, to land a potential program-changing talent. If the kid is as good as advertised, you absolutely HAVE to take him and hope he stays true to his word. Fans have blasted Cal for his recent inability to pull in top prospects. Sharpe was the #1 recruit in the 2022 class and the potential #1 pick in the 2023 draft. How upset would we all have been if Cal had let him walk knowing there's a possibility he could go play for, say, Kansas (one of the schools he considered)? What happened is unfortunate, but it seems Cal found himself in a lose-lose situation.

Don't get me wrong. I'm as frustrated as anyone with Cal's lack of production over the last 5 or so years. Things need to change and they need to change quickly. The Sharpe situation sucks and it will be hard to fill his shoes next season. But Cal is not to blame for what happened IMO.
Well said. Cal haters can't get past the kneeling.

That is ridiculous. The kid could read my comments on here in passing but I would never directly send them to him.

I would never ever make a threat. I would even directly message him...on top of that, especially when it is not certain he is gone (no matter you me or anyone else thinks).

I would like to see some proof of people threatening him.I haven't heard or seen anything like that.

I would like to see some proof of people threatening him.I haven't heard or seen anything like that.

I haven't either, but I do recall the vitrol thrown at PJ after KSU free throw debacle. It was utter garbage. Mind you the kid had a broken thumb or hand or something.

Nothing on Twitter would surprise me...nothing.

Say you say no and he pull his commitment.

Sure, same boat now but holy ish would the fan base have crucified him. Again, Cal has made his own bed. But geez. This whole thing seemed like a no win for anyone at UK from the beginning.
Hasn't Cal passed on recruits before? Nobody crucified him for that. You're pushing a Cal Brigade strawman, and frankly you seem bipolar.

For the love of everything holy....please someone tell me what begok is. I know it is a reference to Cal but know clue what that nickname is.

I'm pretty sure it came from what I call the "nuthouse" board...never posted on it, but damn have I gotten some laughs from reading it.

SMH it's in her sig. Jebus Cripes on a Cracker.

Reactions: UKNothinButNet

I would never ever make a threat. I would even directly message him...on top of that, especially when it is not certain he is gone (no matter you me or anyone else thinks).

Tampa Cat was literally LYING, making stuff up in a desperate attempt to smear the fans on this site so Cal and Sharpe would have cover.

Throwing mental illness insults around is not cool dude. You’re better than that.
You're all over the place, one minute you're blasting Cal, the next minute you're defending him in atrociously irrational ways. You need to get off the fence, it's not healthy.

You're all over the place, one minute you're blasting Cal, the next minute you're defending him in atrociously irrational ways. You need to get off the fence, it's not healthy.
Because I don’t see the world in black and white. Sorry. I want Call to pull his head out of his ass. But since we all know that’s not gonna happen. It’s time for him to go.

Reactions: MoneyMuntz
Because I don’t see the world in black and white. Sorry. I want Call to pull his head out of his ass. But since we all know that’s not gonna happen. It’s time for him to go.
And now you're bashing the fans, saying (falsely) that we would have bashed Cal for not bringing him in.

The truth is that we might have been disappointed, but we remember, as I've stated even now to you, that Cal has passed on recruits for one reason or another.

Say Cal doesn't take him and he goes to, I dunno, Duke. And he just sits on the bench. You don't think the fans would have figured out what was happening and say we dodged a bullet? That's absurd.

Reactions: KFuqua
And now you're bashing the fans, saying (falsely) that we would have bashed Cal for not bringing him in.

The truth is that we might have been disappointed, but we remember, as I've stated even now to you, that Cal has passed on recruits for one reason or another.

Say Cal doesn't take him and he goes to, I dunno, Duke. And he just sits on the bench. You don't think the fans would have figured out what was happening and say we dodged a bullet? That's absurd.
I also know this board. It would’ve been a extreme bash fest for two months. But that doesn’t matter anymore other.

This is will be an unpopular opinion, but I've never understood the massive anger towards Cal regarding his handling of the Shaedon Sharpe situation. It's an unfortunate situation all around. I'm just as frustrated as everyone else that Sharpe will never step foot on the floor in a Kentucky uniform. But this is not all on Coach Cal, and the outcome ultimately would've been the same had Sharpe enrolled at any other school.

Sharpe and his parents pushed the narrative that he would return to Kentucky next season and stood firm on that position from the moment he enrolled early. That was always the plan (at least that's what they said.) Yes, Cal reaffirmed their position and led us to believe Sharpe would be back next year. It seems fans are most frustrated with Cal's reaffirmation. But who's to say Cal knew all along that Sharp would depart after not playing a single second for Kentucky? I simply do not believe that. In fact, there were questions surrounding Sharpe's eligibility for the NBA draft before he decided to enroll at Kentucky. Cal may have been naïve (and maybe I am too) and might deserve some criticism for that, but he didn't blatantly lie to our fanbase. In what way does that benefit Cal? It doesn't, and the "Cal only cares about the NBA and doesn't care about Kentucky" argument is an emotional one. If Cal could have played Sharpe this season, he would've. But that was never the expectation nor was it an option, frankly. He brought the kid here hoping that he would learn the system early, get a head start on strength and conditioning, and be the superstar the Cats need to win a national title next season.

Even if Cal knew Sharpe might not return to Kentucky next year, what do you propose he should've done? He couldn't have betrayed the family's wishes by playing Sharpe - for obvious reasons. He would've been foolish to publicly contradict what Sharpe's parents/camp said about the plan to return next season. Should Cal have pushed Sharpe out the door, telling him to find another program or wait until next season? Absolutely not. That would've forfeited Kentucky's chances, however great or slim, to land a potential program-changing talent. If the kid is as good as advertised, you absolutely HAVE to take him and hope he stays true to his word. Fans have blasted Cal for his recent inability to pull in top prospects. Sharpe was the #1 recruit in the 2022 class and the potential #1 pick in the 2023 draft. How upset would we all have been if Cal had let him walk knowing there's a possibility he could go play for, say, Kansas (one of the schools he considered)? What happened is unfortunate, but it seems Cal found himself in a lose-lose situation.

Don't get me wrong. I'm as frustrated as anyone with Cal's lack of production over the last 5 or so years. Things need to change and they need to change quickly. The Sharpe situation sucks and it will be hard to fill his shoes next season. But Cal is not to blame for what happened IMO.
Cal got played and UK did not benefit

Total loss

Sharpe and his parents pushed the narrative that he would return to Kentucky next season and stood firm on that position from the moment he enrolled early. That was always the plan (at least that's what they said.) Yes, Cal reaffirmed their position and led us to believe Sharpe would be back next year. It seenoms fans are most frustrated with Cal's reaffirmation. But who's to say Cal knew all along that Sharp would depart after not playing a single second for Kentucky? I simply do not believe that. In fact, there were questions surrounding Sharpe's eligibility for the NBA draft before he decided to enroll at Kentucky. Cal may have been naïve (and maybe I am too) and might deserve some criticism for that, but he didn't blatantly lie to our fanbase. In what way does that benefit Cal? It doesn't, and the "Cal only cares about the NBA and doesn't care about Kentucky" argument is an emotional one. If Cal could have played Sharpe this season, he would've. But that was never the expectation nor was it an option, frankly. He brought the kid here hoping that he would learn the system early, get a head start on strength and conditioning, and be the superstar the Cats need to win a national title next season.

Iheart Wkjk1080 podcast 4-12 Jerry Eaves .

Well, by taking Sharpe, who might not ever play, resulted in us not recruiting any other players in this class, based on the fact that we believed he would be playing for UK.

If he doesn’t play, it absolutely screws us as the team was built around him for this coming year.

Cal could have taken numerous players, who would presumably play for UK this coming season.

If he does comeback and play, it’s moot, if not, see above. Make sense now?
They recruit others. They got their 2nd option at 2g
Cason Wallace

bloated ego kneeler i think

Unfortunately, I agree and this situation has gotten completely out of hand. It is pathetic that some would threaten a young kid for any reason at all, especially over basketball. Shaedon might actually be a really great kid, and most likely just have the wrong people guiding him. Also with these forums being just a click away for anyone, people have to know that recruits read these boards, not only Kentucky's, but every college they are interested in or vice-versa. I would want to get a look at the fan base if I were being recruited by a college, and I would definitely be monitoring them if my child was too. We all know just how ugly some can be, hopefully these kids know that it is a minority that doesn't have any class, and all fanbases
Unfortunately, I agree and this situation has gotten completely out of hand. It is pathetic that some would threaten a young kid for any reason at all, especially over basketball. Shaedon might actually be a really great kid, and most likely just have the wrong people guiding him. Also with these forums being just a click away for anyone, people have to know that recruits read these boards, not only Kentucky's, but every college they are interested in or vice-versa. I would want to get a look at the fan base if I were being recruited by a college, and I would definitely be monitoring them if my child was too. We all know just how ugly some can be, hopefully these kids know that it is a minority that doesn't have any class, and all fanbases have them. It still makes it very embarrassing though.
Maybe it's because I'm old and have no eff's to give anymore but I am not embarrassed by the behavior of others. That presupposes that you have some kind of influence on them. As an example, I am not embarrassed by the behavior of politicians. I loathe all of them with a fire that burns white hot. I don't care enough about them to be embarrassed by them.

If Cal knew what ultimately is what we all knew from the beginning and that was he would never play here, than that's on Cal.He should have known by sitting him on that bench and not playing him what the consequences would be. It's not the kid's fault but that's how Sharpe will be remembered here, fair or unfair, that's what the perception will be.

Last edited:
They used each other because they were doing what is best for the kid. You all know that has been Cal deal. It has never been about UK.

The handlers sent him to UK to prep for the combine. Keep in mind they didn’t know how he will do against better players. UK was always the back up plan.

Cal used him for the PR and to try to help Ty-Ty.

No problem with the plan. He is willing to take chances because he knows he will find a very good replacement.

The problem is in the messaging just tell people that is the plan. Don’t tell people he is coming back because everyone knows the real plan in NBA. It creates drama.

I think they have a $$$ in mind if they get that spot in the draft he is gone if not he will be back. That is why they are playing the game. Right now he isn’t guaranteed his spot which may be top 5.

They used each other because they were doing what is best for the kid. You all know that has been Cal deal. It has never been about UK.

The handlers sent him to UK to prep for the combine. Keep in mind they didn’t know how he will do against better players. UK was always the back up plan.

Cal used him for the PR and to try to help Ty-Ty.

No problem with the plan. He is willing to take chances because he knows he will find a very good replacement.

The problem is in the messaging just tell people that is the plan. Don’t tell people he is coming back because everyone knows the real plan in NBA. It creates drama.

I think they have a $$$ in mind if they get that spot in the draft he is gone if not he will be back. That is why they are playing the game. Right now he isn’t guaranteed his spot which may be top 5.
"The messaging" - in other words, DON'T LIE NEXT TIME

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT