ADVERTISEMENT

Update on Cal from MJ

Wow. What do we do with Jay Wright? Throw $11mil at him? I would.

But pretty sure he already expressed he wasnt interested on live TV. I also get the sense he wants no part in NIL, transfer portal, etc. However.. Kentucky isn't Villanova. He'd have every tool at his disposal to make sure his rosters are better than 99% of everyone else.

Edit: Man how about we let Cal handle the NIL stuff for him haaha.
If the man only leaves his retirement for money it will not go well for UK. No "fire in the belly". Need a young, aspiring coach. Don't need another burnout coach. If he wasn't burnt out he would still be coaching.

No one wants to hear this, but the best thing for UK would be to hire a guy looking to prove himself. Coaches come to UK to get that first ring. The only case I can think of where a school hired a guy who already won a title, then he won another one was Urban Meyer. Pitino, of course, but it took him 10 years and it was vacated.

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
No one wants to hear this, but the best thing for UK would be to hire a guy looking to prove himself. Coaches come to UK to get that first ring. The only case I can think of where a school hired a guy who already won a title, then he won another one was Urban Meyer. Pitino, of course, but it took him 10 years and it was vacated.
That coach is Nate Oates but fricking bama made that hard as hell to do

Reactions: dl51344 and UKat1
He also said there was a meeting tomorrow night. They would be laying down ground rules for the program and they would not be on an island anymore. He didn't think Cal would go for that.
Well that’s another reason he needs to go. Add it to the list.

Nate better have TMZ level stuff tomorrow
I'm envisioning this...

a-christmas-story-christmas-story.gif

It wouldn’t make sense for Barnhart to be interested in Wright without having a commitment from him first. Ain’t like he’s coaching in the tournament so it wouldn’t be a distraction to reach out to him.

You people who eliminate candidates just because they lose 1 game on a particular day are extremely short sighted.
I still think Drew would be an upgrade at this point but I couldn’t get over how remarkably similar the game played out. Also his overall #’s aren’t very good outside that 3 year run. Definitely not good enough for here. Granted it’s at Baylor and UK could propel his success further.

Almost the entire fan base would blow up with excitement and be back to loving each other if Jay Wright by some miracle said yes.

His awkward chuckle last night on TV when poked again about UK’s opening was I think a little, clue. I think someone has already contacted him and he might be seriously pondering the idea.

Note I have no inside info so this is just my opinion.
I would be disappointed if MB didnt call Jay's agent on Thursday evening....or honestly, after last season. MB always has to have a list in his pocket at all times and for all coaches. That is just reality. I am sure he has one for Stoops.

If Jay is and has been a hard no I doubt his name would even be floated.

All of these so called fans afraid of change and say we should just keep Cal are pathetic. The man cannot even win a conference title, conference game, or ncaa tournament game anymore. What in the world would it take for you to feel
the need to replace him?
its mind boggling. It’s battered wife syndrome.

Hit me again Cal, and this time put some stank on it!!!

I think, personally, I'd rather do Cal for another year, and spend that year really working to get the next coaching hire right.. then going with Scott Drew who likely isn't going to meet our needs.
Of course you would. Sejonsey is in total agreement with you. Congratulations.

But NO. Just NO! Time for Cal to go.

Keeping Cal another year just means a bigger hole for the next coach to try and dig their way out of. Time to stop the bleeding of the program.

Last edited:
All of these so called fans afraid of change and say we should just keep Cal are pathetic. The man cannot even win a conference title, conference game, or ncaa tournament game anymore. What in the world would it take for you to feel
the need to replace him?
A top tier hire !!!

He would guarantee maybe 1 more win per tournament than Cal, since he hasn’t gotten past the round of 32 the last 3 years. Would be a terrible and boring hire.
Right now, most Kentucky fans would take that improvement over the current crap we are getting from Cal in a heartbeat.

He definitely hasn’t been mum. He said he definitely would not be getting back into coaching.

That was February 25th though

I think it unlikely …but then again I don’t think Calipari is going anywhere

This is coming from a user on another thread you can go read it, but this is what they did to Reeves and another reason Cals ass needs to go, quote below…..

“At the end of last season once he was the last senior left on the team(that hadn’t moved on yet). We made the decision to offer him 100k to return/sign autographs. He was trying to find other places to go. I wanted to make the offer. Contacted an assistant.

When they didn’t take us up on the offer we just figured Reeves declined. Later this year we found out he was never presented with the offer. When he was out on his own looking for small 5/10k deals to get by. Dropping 20 a night scrounging around for small deals when they had one. That would have helped all year live a pretty good senior year.

Can’t even imagine this season without Reeves now.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT