ADVERTISEMENT

Small update from MJ

Maybe coaching elsewhere gets a fire lit under him to prove he still has it and in fact does succeed (whatever that looks like) We all know if that were to happen it would be a one year thing and he would be right back to doing what he is now which is the least amount possible when it comes to actually coaching. Let him coach for the name on the back of the jersey elsewhere. Just a dumb overall reason.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
But that's what I'm telling you, we don't actually have as much college talent as people think. We have NBA potential. Yes we had one non-consensus third team all american guard who is also a massive liability on defense.

If you're talking purely from a college point of view Houston and Marquette in our region have more college talent. Our guys may be better in three years in the NBA, but not at the college level.

Did you actually watch Houston's game against A&M last night? Shead controlled that game in a way non of our players are capable of doing. Kolek is surgical in the way he picks apart defense. Newton at UConn is the same way. The main thing here is these guys are seniors and incredibly experienced. They're not going to disappear in a tournament game like Reed did against Oakland.

Should we have beaten Oakland? Absolutely. We have ten times the talent they do. But if we needed to play both Marquette and Houston to make the Final Four it wasn't happening. Both of those teams are more talented now.
That is the thing, those guards aren't just future pros, they produced at the college level. Maybe, just maybe, with just a little bit of game prep, and just a small tad of in game adjustments, we could have squeaked by 14 seed Oakland. If you were talking about Bradshaw, or Big Z, I would agree with the sentiment. Dilly and Reed both had 30+ point games where they shreaded good defenses.

I mean Oakland played a zone, and we have 3 guys shooting over 40% from 3 on the year, and another 3 shooting 33%+, and yet we struggled to get those guys clear looks at the basket?? That is coaching. Even x-staff members say that Cal has completely quit teaching like he did when he first got here. This wasn't a 4-32 3-point performance against a top 10 team, this was a system's failure against a team that barely made the tournament. Cal didn't have trouble going to 4 final fours in 6 years with freshmen when he first got here. And those freshmen made big play after big play. We had the players to make a run this year, just didn't have a coach.

From the basic math skills I developed as a child.

Cal's buyout is almost 34 million. A couple of the assistants also have buyouts. They aren't that large, but they add up to a few hundred thousand.

To hire a good new coach, will require around a 5 yr 35 million deal. That breaks down to around 7 million per year. For reference, the popular choice is Drew. His current Baylor deal is over 8 years and averages 7.25 million. He only earns 5.2 the first year, but it raises each year and averages out to 7.25. He also just turned down 8.5 at UL. So, 5 years at 35 will be just a bit above his current Baylor deal, which they will counter and likely drive us to counter as well.

The 34 plus 35 is already 69. Then you have to provide perks and benefits, plus another roughly 2 million annually for assistants and staff. That adds another 10 million over 5 years. So now you're at 79 million. But you also still have to provide those assistants with benefits and perks as well.

Now, this doesn't factor in the buyout we will have to pay that school to hire their coach away, nor the payroll taxes the university has to pay on all of this.

So, that will be well over 80 million. And then you have the Elzy buyout and the new coaches contract, plus their assistants.

Are you seeing it now?
Why don't you ghost account guys have the nuts to post under your really name on here. Such a COWARD

That is the thing, those guards aren't just future pros, they produced at the college level. Maybe, just maybe, with just a little bit of game prep, and just a small tad of in game adjustments, we could have squeaked by 14 seed Oakland. If you were talking about Bradshaw, or Big Z, I would agree with the sentiment. Dilly and Reed both had 30+ point games where they shreaded good defenses.

I mean Oakland played a zone, and we have 3 guys shooting over 40% from 3 on the year, and another 3 shooting 33%+, and yet we struggled to get those guys clear looks at the basket?? That is coaching. Even x-staff members say that Cal has completely quit teaching like he did when he first got here. This wasn't a 4-32 3-point performance against a top 10 team, this was a system's failure against a team that barely made the tournament. Cal didn't have trouble going to 4 final fours in 6 years with freshmen when he first got here. And those freshmen made big play after big play. We had the players to make a run this year, just didn't have a coach.
Exactly, Reed was not even on draft boards at the beginning of the year, he had a historic season lol, and he just smoked UT and their seniors two weeks ago lol.

Cal's buyout is almost 34 million. A couple of the assistants also have buyouts. They aren't that large, but they add up to a few hundred thousand.

To hire a good new coach, will require around a 5 yr 35 million deal. That breaks down to around 7 million per year. For reference, the popular choice is Drew. His current Baylor deal is over 8 years and averages 7.25 million. He only earns 5.2 the first year, but it raises each year and averages out to 7.25. He also just turned down 8.5 at UL. So, 5 years at 35 will be just a bit above his current Baylor deal, which they will counter and likely drive us to counter as well.

The 34 plus 35 is already 69. Then you have to provide perks and benefits, plus another roughly 2 million annually for assistants and staff. That adds another 10 million over 5 years. So now you're at 79 million. But you also still have to provide those assistants with benefits and perks as well.

Now, this doesn't factor in the buyout we will have to pay that school to hire their coach away, nor the payroll taxes the university has to pay on all of this.

So, that will be well over 80 million. And then you have the Elzy buyout and the new coaches contract, plus their assistants.

Are you seeing it now?
A lot of assumptions are in this though. You are assuming a lot of those things actually happen. But even if the numbers are correct(not saying you are wrong you are probably right) Kentucky still need to move on

A lot of assumptions are in this though. You are assuming a lot of those things actually happen. But even if the numbers are correct(not saying you are wrong you are probably right) Kentucky still need to move on
What's the assumptions?

They can only move on if they can financially afford to do so without damaging the atheltics department as a whole. They can't cut off their nose to spite their face.

Ehh, wouldn't be a bad gig, but I'm not pc enough for that.

First off, why do you care? Second, look at the name real close. What is Pb a symbol for on the periodic table of elements?

Lead athletic something… essentially you’re admitting to being associated to the university?

But K went NC, Sweet Sixteen, First Round Upset, Elite Eight, First Round Upset, NC.

A bit different than:
Missed Tourney (9 wins)
First Round Upset
Second Round Upset
First Round Upset
I don't think demanding the exact same record works. I'm not claiming Calipari is equal to K. My world allows droughts.

Are you seeing it now?
rick-james-cold-blooded.gif

Reactions: Pb AbdominaI
I understand as a leader decisions can be tough but if you are afraid Cal will take his players with him you need to leave

I don't think demanding the exact same record works. I'm not claiming Calipari is equal to K. My world allows droughts.
It's not just the droughts. Just following the team has been exhausting.

The guy doesn't play his best players. I mean some simple analytics would show you the lineups with the highest points per possession and it was like he intentionally didn't want to play that line up, because us Basketball Bennies pointed it out.

He heaps praise on players and gives none to Reed in a post game interview, even though Reed was likely the reason we win that game. Calls him "everyone's favorite player" and talks about all his mistakes when he didn't do that for anyone else.

He puts us in hard positions at the end of seasons where we have to wait months for young kids who really have no business going to the NBA to make a decision so we miss out on opportunities with the best from the portal.

He consistently talks about his players in the NBA, how much money they've earned, and ending generational poverty, and yet nary a whisper about what he is doing to win more games. Games against our rivals in the early season, and how we're going to win the SEC.

He openly discusses his disdain for the SECT which we haven't won in forever, and it feels like forever since we've even won a game in it.

K still won 26 and 27 games during those years w/ the first round upsets. He also managed to win at least one game in the ACCT those years. Including a runner up in 13-14 season.

It's not JUST that we're losing in the NCAAT and having a drought. It's the whole body of work around it that sucks too, and even when Duke were upset, they still had recent success they could fall back on, and at very minimum not complete post season incompetence.

New info from JP:

Been making and taking calls throughout the day and there is a lot of information to sift through from different angles. Here's what I know before all hell breaks loose shortly:
- Players expect to hear a final answer by Wednesday, but they've been kept out of the loop on a lot of this. Initial word was that Cal was expected to be back and coaches were still out recruiting, talking with the current players, but things have gone quiet.
- One player agent expects John Calipari to return with a complete staff overhaul, Reed Sheppard returns (among other stay/go decisions that include several outgoing transfers)
- Some dream coach possibilities may not be such wild dreams after all -- some still coaching in the tournament. If Mitch Barnhart is worried about no clear-cut options being available, he should pick up the phone and call or put out some feelers, at minimum. Maybe (and hopefully) he already has, but the pool is bigger than initially expected, from my understanding.
- The ongoing NIL conversation from today has had some real backlash, to put it lightly. Kentucky was an early favorite for one portal guard with confirmed contact who is now questioning his interest in the program (beyond coaching uncertainty, obviously). Between lucrative promises and miscommunications regarding deals, that's something that needs to get under control moving forward no matter who the coaches are.

Cal’s model works well when he can bring in top notch freshmen and combine them with older guys left over from the last coach. He probably will do well somewhere else. If he would do that here, we wouldn’t be in this situation

New info f
Frustrated Ryan Gosling GIF
rom JP:

Been making and taking calls throughout the day and there is a lot of information to sift through from different angles. Here's what I know before all hell breaks loose shortly:
- Players expect to hear a final answer by Wednesday, but they've been kept out of the loop on a lot of this. Initial word was that Cal was expected to be back and coaches were still out recruiting, talking with the current players, but things have gone quiet.
- One player agent expects John Calipari to return with a complete staff overhaul, Reed Sheppard returns (among other stay/go decisions that include several outgoing transfers)
- Some dream coach possibilities may not be such wild dreams after all -- some still coaching in the tournament. If Mitch Barnhart is worried about no clear-cut options being available, he should pick up the phone and call or put out some feelers, at minimum. Maybe (and hopefully) he already has, but the pool is bigger than initially expected, from my understanding.
- The ongoing NIL conversation from today has had some real backlash, to put it lightly. Kentucky was an early favorite for one portal guard with confirmed contact who is now questioning his interest in the program (beyond coaching uncertainty, obviously). Between lucrative promises and miscommunications regarding deals, that's something that needs to get under control moving forward no matter who the coaches are.
The fact you all are still listening to these dudes...

They just want clicks for their tweets, sites and articles.

Use realize Pilgrim has actual access to the program, right?

Animated GIF
If he had real access he wouldn't have to make calls all day and only provide updates once it's clear no meeting was happening.

If he tells you Cal is returning, you and others quit paying attention to it and move on. If he keeps stringing you along with alleged updates, you and others keep giving him hits all day.

Sheep Farm GIF by TLC

It cas it wasn't clear, that's Jack in the front!

" I get the sense from a number of people that the biggest issue is this...there is a worry about what happens if they let Calipari go and he goes somewhere else and kills it"

I don't even know where to start with this ridiculously skewed logic. So, you are saying he can win big somewhere else, but can't at Kentucky? Is Jones suggesting he is sandbagging and deliberately tanking us? Why should i care if he finds some success somewhere else? Did we worry about Tubby succeeding somewhere else? All we know is that it isn't working here after 15 years. This sounds like more contrived BS emanating out of Barnhart's office to justify keeping him and Barnhart not having to figure a way out of this mess of a contract that he put us in.

15 years....ENOUGH!

He always was. Some of you just don't like to accept the inevitable until it's too late.
Some of us don't like to accept a pattern of continued failure and laziness. A pattern of failure and laziness that is there precisely because of too much job security inherent in Mitch's imbecilic contract.

If he had real access he wouldn't have to make calls all day and only provide updates once it's clear no meeting was happening.

If he tells you Cal is returning, you and others quit paying attention to it and move on. If he keeps stringing you along with alleged updates, you and others keep giving him hits all day.

Sheep Farm GIF by TLC

It cas it wasn't clear, that's Jack in the front!

What user name count are you on champ?
troll 1986 GIF by absurdnoise

• Haha
Reactions: Pb AbdominaI
IF what is being leaked is true, it sure doesn’t sound like someone who was prepared for this situation. Mitch has struggled with every hire he’s made.
Sometimes stuff is leaked with an agenda and sometimes people leak stuff so they can say they were right and don’t have a clue

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT