ADVERTISEMENT

Timing is Everything for a New Coach

Farsight

Junior
Nov 27, 2011
This is something that occurred to me this morning.

According to Matt Jones, Mitch and Cal is meeting later this evening. We should know about the future of Kentucky either tonight or tomorrow.

Everything is pointing towards that Cal should hang it up and retire.

Jay Wright is the supposed first call. There is a week between the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 games. No broadcasting for Jay Wright. The timing is literally perfect for Jay Wright to come here because he's off until those games, Cal BETTER be canned tonight. Jay Wright hasn't coached. He's the most free out of anyone.

From another angle, I know Scott Drew and Bruce Pearl are other candidates some folks want on this board and they are free. I know Nate Oats and Dan Hurley are other candidates mentioned on this board, but they're still in the tournament.

If Mitch wants to make a fast move this week and wants to exclusively go after a college coach. The ones that are free are Jay Wright, Scott Drew and Bruce Pearl.

I bet Mitch reached out to Jay Wright already to gauge interest. Would he regret turning down Kentucky?

The timing for Jay Wright to be here is definitely interesting.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I love Jay Wright, but I just wish he wasn't 60+ years old. Scheyer at Duke is only 36. Hubert Davis at UNC is only 53. The other two main Blue Bloods have young, seemingly competent, coaches with long tenures ahead of them.

Even IF Wright were to come (and I don't think he will), we'd be looking for a coach again in five years and Scheyer and Davis would STILL be young.

Coaching candidates at that level don't come to campus. It's all done virtually, or they meet at a neutral location. And while coaches in the tournament might not talk directly with other schools, there are ways to gauge interest from coaches still in the tournament.

I don't like the idea of going after any coach who has already won an NC. A young hungry coach looking to make a name for himself has the goal of winning a NC and making money. He goes to bed, dreams and even gets up thinking of things he can do to give his team an edge. It is even in the back of his mind when having breakfast and talking with his wife and children. He is driven, "fire in the belly". Then one day he wins that so sought after NC. He has reached the top of his mountain. He now has fame and a new contract with real money. He is still a good coach but that fire is now gone that gave him the edge.

I love Jay Wright, but I just wish he wasn't 60+ years old. Scheyer at Duke is only 36. Hubert Davis at UNC is only 53. The other two main Blue Bloods have young, seemingly competent, coaches with long tenures ahead of them.

Even IF Wright were to come (and I don't think he will), we'd be looking for a coach again in five years and Scheyer and Davis would STILL be young.
That's a benefit in my opinion, as there is no clear cut young guy at the moment that's both hungry and has an overwhelming resume that would make a current hire less of a reach.

Reactions: Farsight
I don't like the idea of going after any coach who has already won an NC. A young hungry coach looking to make a name for himself has the goal of winning a NC and making money. He goes to bed, dreams and even gets up thinking of things he can do to give his team an edge. It is even in the back of his mind when having breakfast and talking with his wife and children. He is driven, "fire in the belly". Then one day he wins that so sought after NC. He has reached the top of his mountain. He now has fame and a new contract with real money. He is still a good coach but that fire is now gone that gave him the edge.
This is why I’m starting to come around on Shaka Smart. He’s only 46, been in the game for awhile and has had some success. Flamed out at Texas, but I just don’t think it was the right job for him. He needs to be at a basketball school and he knows that now. There’s a redemption arc right there, plus he’s tasted the Final 4 and he coaches really hard. You’re describing the “fire in the belly” and he has that. And he’s someone who would retire before even thinking of doing the job halfway.

No offense, but with this logic, you would just fire a coach the next season after he wins a championship.

JW has 10-12 years left in the tank easily! Aside from Pitino, I’m not sweating over the age thing from any of the others.

I don't personally believe Jay Wright wants to coach anywhere, even Kentucky.

But let's say I'm wrong. If he wants to take the job to coach at a traditional blue blood--he aint worried about how nice the campus is or what the facilities are like. If he's going to take it because it's Kentucky--none of that matters.

I like this idea too.

I really feel like Golden should be the choice.

I feel like this is the choosing Tubby over Billy D timing again. We missed with that hire, and I am scared we will again and miss out on someone who will be great at another location and not work out for us to get him.

Edited: Tubby had success, but was nowhere near the coach Billy D was. I feel like taking Drew over Golden would be similar

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT