ADVERTISEMENT

Small update from MJ

Cal literally had the two best college guards
This is not true at all. I dont know how much college basketball you actually watch, but there are a lot of guards better than Sheppard and Dillingham. Go watch a team like Houston or Marqutte. Shead and Kolek are on a different level and completely control the game. Sheppard and Dillingham show flashes of brilliance, but there are other guards that are much better college players.

And that's the issue with Cal's system right now. We have teams full of prospects but not teams full of great college basketball players.

It actually means our buyout would be relative peanuts if he goes elsewhere. Kills it? With what? Energy, devotion, work ethic, collaboration, humility, technical basketball knowledge [roll][roll][roll][roll]
That is true, the buyout would be greatly offset from whoever picked him up. Like I said above there is no way in hell he is putting together a roster like he had this year or in the past at another school.

This is not true at all. I dont know how much college basketball you actually watch, but there are a lot of guards better than Sheppard and Dillingham. Go watch a team like Houston or Marqutte. Shead and Kolek are on a different level and completely control the game. Sheppard and Dillingham show flashes of brilliance, but there are other guards that are much better college players.

And that's the issue with Cal's system right now. We have teams full of prospects but not teams full of great college basketball players.
However you wanna look at, the two most talented guards lol, we still had an all American guard as well did we not?

The fact that the radio show is currently scheduled doesn't mean anything. If it gets cancelled before 6pm, then yea, that means something....

Everything operates on schedule as if he will be here next year, until he isn't.

IMO, he returns with some "concessions", commitments, and more oversight.

Or maybe he gets on the radio show and tells everyone he is retiring LOL.

Reactions: jrpross
Why hasnt he just killed it here then?

Easy peasy.

200w.gif
So, he kills it,somewhere else. So be it. That happens with a lot of coaches Just look at Rick Barnes. He was let go at Texas but doing well at Tenn. Sometimes a change what is needed for a coach. The fact is he hasn't been killing it here.

Reactions: DMB#34 and KFuqua
I have said for a few years that my biggest fear was that Barnhart would still be here when it was time to replace Kal. The man has no plan and obviously wasn’t prepared for this.
All of that being said I don’t care Kal needs to go now!!
I’m not a big fan of Mitch either but how do you know he doesn’t have a plan?

It would depend on where he went. What if he went to Arkansas?
I think he’d have a small window where people say “he’s back!”, but by March it’d be the same issues we’ve seen the last 4 years at UK. This version of Cal is who he is now, doesn’t matter the location. Once you get into that comfort spot, hard to come out of it; especially for his age.

If Cal kills it somewhere else, then he does. Doesn’t change the fact that losing to a 15 and 14 seed in the first round is inexcusable at Kentucky. You make the change, provided you know fairly well who the replacement is.
Wonder why Kansas didn’t fire Bill Self after he lost on the first weekend two years in a row. Nor is his seat even warm now after being preseason #1 and then losing 11 games and not winning the Big 12 or getting to the Sweet Sixteen.

What if he goes somewhere else and kills it? So what…he’s not killing it here! Time for a change
Exactly, I'll never get that line of thinking. He might need a kick in the ass to get it going again, but he's not gonna get that kick in the ass here.

Reactions: dl51344
Define “kill it”… Because he didn’t “kill it” at UMASS, he didn’t “kill it” in New Jersey, he didn’t “kill it” at Memphis, and if you total up his entire career, and all the players that came through the program, and the absolute totality of it all, he hasn’t exactly “killed it” at UK!

Go woke, go broke, Mitch!

Mitch must be scared he'll take the UL job. LOL.
I mean, I could see it. Cal would love the opportunity to stick it to the fanbase and sports media that he’s already focused on sticking it to in every postgame interview after a win. It would be the ultimate Cal Ego move take his class down the road to UL

Reactions: Random UK Fan
I mean, I could see it. Cal would love the opportunity to stick it to the fanbase and sports media that he’s already focused on sticking it to in every postgame interview after a win. It would be the ultimate Cal Ego move take his class down the road to UL
Then we bring Pitino back to kick his azz.

That is some update. Let me squeeze the air out of it, eliminate the bullshit and translate it for the slow readers:

"I Have no clue."
Here he is gracing us with his presence. You know in case there are some slow readers. He’s so smart and tonight after Cals call in show he will be back to let everyone know he believes Cal is the man and we’re all not as smart as him and @Sejonesy. They are the dynamic duo saving the day on rafters. The Calipari lovers brothers fighting crime on the board with their super intellectual powers.

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
However you wanna look at, the two most talented guards lol, we still had an all American guard as well did we not?
But that's what I'm telling you, we don't actually have as much college talent as people think. We have NBA potential. Yes we had one non-consensus third team all american guard who is also a massive liability on defense.

If you're talking purely from a college point of view Houston and Marquette in our region have more college talent. Our guys may be better in three years in the NBA, but not at the college level.

Did you actually watch Houston's game against A&M last night? Shead controlled that game in a way non of our players are capable of doing. Kolek is surgical in the way he picks apart defense. Newton at UConn is the same way. The main thing here is these guys are seniors and incredibly experienced. They're not going to disappear in a tournament game like Reed did against Oakland.

Should we have beaten Oakland? Absolutely. We have ten times the talent they do. But if we needed to play both Marquette and Houston to make the Final Four it wasn't happening. Both of those teams are more talented now.

I accepted our mediocrity last Thursday. Glad you're liking it.
I didn't say I wanted him back. Just that's how it was always going to be.
Why was he always coming back
The costs, Firing him and hiring a new, good coach would take over 80 million over the next 5 years. Not to mention the 4 - 5 million he is having to spend on womens basketball to fire and replace Elzy.

That would severely impact spending on other sports like football. If you go the route of accepting donor money to fund it, then where do you turn for NIL?

It's just cheaper and less impactful long term to keep Cal another year and hope for the best.

its a good point you make, but its the standard by which Cal is judged.

He said I'll beat you with talent, not experience

and talent is getting its ass kicked

by guys that look like they sell insurance

I’m not a big fan of Mitch either but how do you know he doesn’t have a plan?
IF what is being leaked is true, it sure doesn’t sound like someone who was prepared for this situation. Mitch has struggled with every hire he’s made.

Reactions: dl51344
But that's what I'm telling you, we don't actually have as much college talent as people think. We have NBA potential. Yes we had one non-consensus third team all american guard who is also a massive liability on defense.

If you're talking purely from a college point of view Houston and Marquette in our region have more college talent. Our guys may be better in three years in the NBA, but not at the college level.

Did you actually watch Houston's game against A&M last night? Shead controlled that game in a way non of our players are capable of doing. Kolek is surgical in the way he picks apart defense. Newton at UConn is the same way. The main thing here is these guys are seniors and incredibly experienced. They're not going to disappear in a tournament game like Reed did against Oakland.

Should we have beaten Oakland? Absolutely. We have ten times the talent they do. But if we needed to play both Marquette and Houston to make the Final Four it wasn't happening. Both of those teams are more talented now.
What we don't have is college level coaching.

Reactions: NociHTTP
- I get the sense from a number of people that the biggest issue is this...there is a worry about what happens if they let Calipari go and he goes somewhere else and kills it.
This is stupid, and I'm 100 percent certain that is not "the biggest issue."

Our concern is with what we control. Is this the right move for UK and, if so, how do we pay for it and who do we hire?

How some 65-year-old man does after leaving UK is an irrelevant concern.

What if he goes somewhere else and kills it. Who gives a shit, the chances of that happening are slim to none. You can’t let the fear of the unknown stop you from making the correct choice for this program. Look at all the leaks and media circus today, if he come back that willl be how the whole offseason goes
He can go kill the competition somewhere else. I don't give a shit. As long as he isn't here killing our program.

Wonder why Kansas didn’t fire Bill Self after he lost on the first weekend two years in a row. Nor is his seat even warm now after being preseason #1 and then losing 11 games and not winning the Big 12 or getting to the Sweet Sixteen.
Probably because he wins his conference almost every year (the Big 12 is better than the SEC in basketball) and just won a national championship 2022. It’s funny how you cal fans don’t use common sense in these posts you make.

Reactions: TFCats11
its a good point you make, but its the standard by which Cal is judged.

He said I'll beat you with talent, not experience

and talent is getting its ass kicked

by guys that look like they sell insurance
Oh I'm not saying it to make excuses for Cal. This is the system he chose. But I do think people are confusing talent with potential when it comes to our recent teams. The college level talent hasn't been as high as people think. But that's Cal's fault and he's ultimately responsible for the roster, so the buck stops with him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT