ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Wright (today on pregame show)

Jul 26, 2009
Did anyone else see today somewhere around noon on pregame? They were joking with Jay Wright about coaching again and then they did a little skit showing someone on the phone and it said when UK offers Jay Wright $2 Billion to coach.
He just kind of laughed and said there’s nobody better than Cal to coach Kentucky.
I just found it odd and interesting that they would do it, like maybe someone had actually talked to him about it. Wishful thinking I guess 🤔

Did anyone else see today somewhere around noon on pregame? They were joking with Jay Wright about coaching again and then they did a little skit showing someone on the phone and it said when UK offers Jay Wright $2 Billion to coach.
He just kind of laughed and said there’s nobody better than Cal to coach Kentucky.
I just found it odd and interesting that they would do it, like maybe someone had actually talked to him about it. Wishful thinking I guess 🤔
We don't need Jay Wright.

Offer Jay Wright the same amount Cal makes and make him say no to Kentucky
Jay Wright retired because he didn't want to deal with NIL and the transfer portal, because it makes it very difficult to build programs like he likes to. Even if he said yes, which he won't, there is zero evidence he knows how to put a program together in this era of college basketball.

We need a guy who knows how to navigate the current landscape. Wright isn't that.

Jay Wright retired because he didn't want to deal with NIL and the transfer portal, because it makes it very difficult to build programs like he likes to. Even if he said yes, which he won't, there is zero evidence he knows how to put a program together in this era of college basketball.

We need a guy who knows how to navigate the current landscape. Wright isn't that.
I still think you ask him, even if he would say no

Jay wright has said it before, he has no interest in coaching at Kentucky. He's not getting back in to coaching, he loves what he's doing. That's his way of ending the speculation as to whether or not he would be interested. I disagree with what he said about nobody being better than Cal to coach at Kentucky. They are friends and he will never say anything more than what he has said already about Cal and Kentucky. Greenberg is another friend who will not say anything negative about Cal, even if it's warranted.

Reactions: Cats192
They are a brotherhood of wealthy men who all have even bigger egos. They won’t throw each other under the bus or claim they could do better in public. I guarantee theirs Coaching privately saying they would win a title with the vast amount of talent CAL has wasted

Yes we do need Jay Wright. Some of you are silly that because he is saying Cal is great that you then don't want him. Do you talk about your peer's even the A-holes publicly and say what you really think? He can't.

Wright had several first weekend knockouts and Nova generally underperformed except for 2 years. Kentucky can do better than him..

Reactions: NociHTTP
Offer Jay Wright the same amount Cal makes and make him say no to Kentucky
Based on the things he's said regarding Cal and UK? I wouldn't. Not if I was seriously interested in coaching at UK. Didn't Jay leave college basketball because of the transfer portal situation? And then you've got Cal suggesting that he might not have to use the transfer portal.

Now, regarding Cal's comment about the transfer portal, doesn't that kind of sound like a guy who wants to leave and take his recruits with him and not bother restocking the cupboard? Maybe Cal told on himself.

Yes we do need Jay Wright. Some of you are silly that because he is saying Cal is great that you then don't want him. Do you talk about your peer's even the A-holes publicly and say what you really think? He can't.
He can also publicly excuse himself from commenting. Why would you endorse someone who has destroyed the program, if you have any interest in working there? Jay's not it.

Reactions: dl51344

Nova does not have the money to compete with the big dogs when it comes to NIL. Wright saw the writing on the wall and got out before he ruined his rep. Wish Cal would take that advice but it's already too late for that.

Nova does not have the money to compete with the big dogs when it comes to NIL. Wright saw the writing on the wall and got out before he ruined his rep. Wish Cal would take that advice but it's already too late for that.
You're severely underestimating how much donor money Nova has for NIL. They have very deep pockets. Villanova has a shit ton of very wealthy alumni.

I seriously doubt it with Wright but it did cross my mind last night because it’s seems strange to me that Wright would want to finish his career as an analyst. He’s presumably in good health.

He's 63 and got plenty of money. He's not coaching again.

Reactions: dl51344
Wright was making over 6 million a year coaching at Villanova. He decided he was well enough off financially, that he retired and left the 6 million behind.

If all it took to stay in coaching was another 4 million, Villanova would have found a way.

He doesn’t want to coach. It’s not about money. He has plenty. He doesn’t want to navigate NIL. A lot of coaches don’t.

We can say “make him say no” but he’s going to say no.

Nova has a ton of rich alumni. Wright just didn't want to deal with it. Similar why Tubby left UK. The game changed and they said "Screw it. I'm out."

I’m not referring to the money at Villanova. Again, not disagreeing but Nova just doesn’t have the same allure and alum interest in floating the program, in my opinion.

Regardless, not likely to happen. I’m not really excited about the idea anyway. He’s not a young guy himself.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT