ADVERTISEMENT

Update on Cal from MJ

Did you forget to add in the option to clone Adolf Rupp? Just as likely as your list.
Not the poster you were quoting but regarding cloning Adolph Rupp, the timing isn’t right.

Sure the genetic component is there for a genetic clone, but coaching acumen isn’t genetic. I’m sure there’s some brain structure advantages but no guarantees.

We need to wait until general AI is ready so we can side load all basketball knowledge into the clone. Then we’ll have our coach.

Reactions: etownblue25
Bad news friend, we're never getting Wright, Stevens, or Donovan.

We're gonna have to eventually move on from Calipari without one of those guys.
Would you give MB a call in the morning to let him know this. I am sure he will be glad that he doesn't need to waste his time on those 3. Thank you for your service!!!

Reactions: sluggercatfan
I’d agree that Pearl is much (much) more likely than Wright, and also a better fit for today’s college atmosphere and UK’s too. The best choice (Donovan) won’t come. The next best choice (Pitino) likely would, if Joanne would agree and UK asked. In any case, if Mitch listens to wise advisers, there are several good choices to consider. And, as others have stated, if Cal is allowed to stay, he’s going to be under some specific requirements per how he talks about the goals of the program and the fans in public, and how his team performs next year on the court. It may make for an uncomfortable season. That’s another reason I think he’s not coming back. I just hope it’s amicable with Cal doing a sort of Nick Saban and stating he needs a break.
Good points and I feel the same. FWIW I have no animosity against Cal I just think he's lost his mojo.

Reactions: Coach Marrow
If Jay Wright is even somewhat receptive, just give the man a blank check and let him fill in the amount. He's a truly elite coach and an even better option in my mind than Billy Donovan (and I'd be damn happy with Donovan).
Yes, yes, yes please...to Wright!!!!!!! Yes, to the blank check. Give him anything he wants. He is definitely cream of the crop.

IF we are forced to bring Cal back for whatever reason the one thing that may motivate him to try again is tell him if he gets fired after next year then Pitino is his replacement lol. Pitino kept him motivated for years because they couldn’t stand each other.

• Haha
Reactions: Wildcat Sheli
Not the poster you were quoting but regarding cloning Adolph Rupp, the timing isn’t right.

Sure the genetic component is there for a genetic clone, but coaching acumen isn’t genetic. I’m sure there’s some brain structure advantages but no guarantees.

We need to wait until general AI is ready so we can side load all basketball knowledge into the clone. Then we’ll have our coach.
I side loaded my fire stick once.

Quite a few more people than just him agreed with me.

I think there's greater benefits waiting for us, by planning the next hire, than firing someone just out of anger, and not being able to hire the right replacement. I'm fine taking another mediocre year from Cal, if it means we can really get the next hire right.. than taking someone we know isn't right for the job and sucking for several more years.

And the notion that Cal is going to leave us in a bigger hole is just silly. So long as the transfer portal exists, along with NIL, we're going to be able to fill the roster very easily.
How do you know the hire will be right next year vs this year? We can’t afford to keep this clown another season. Period. Your logic escapes me.

Quite a few more people than just him agreed with me.

I think there's greater benefits waiting for us, by planning the next hire, than firing someone just out of anger, and not being able to hire the right replacement. I'm fine taking another mediocre year from Cal, if it means we can really get the next hire right.. than taking someone we know isn't right for the job and sucking for several more years.

And the notion that Cal is going to leave us in a bigger hole is just silly. So long as the transfer portal exists, along with NIL, we're going to be able to fill the roster very easily.
If filling the roster will be that easy, then why not make the change now.

You will NEVER know if you made the right hire until they actually get on this horse called UK basketball.
Many thought BCG was a great hire because of his in game coaching ability at lesser programs. And the job was just too big for him.

Cal is currently in New Jersey and has been since the loss. Expected back tomorrow, said he think the most likely option is parting ways and a lot of people in the administration want a change.
This is exactly what I said should happen last night and got mocked. You don't give Cal any options here. If he doesn't like the changes to be made, which Cal won't, then he can leave. It's the ultimatum Mitch once gave Tubby to shake up the staff or leave in '07. Cal's stubbornness to change and not getting his way here anymore may be the way out. Tuck tail and skate out of town.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
How do you know the hire will be right next year vs this year? We can’t afford to keep this clown another season. Period. Your logic escapes me.

We would have an entire year to plan. If one of the top names we mentioned was interested (or if they become interested after the tournament) then absolutely... go for them.

But Scott Drew and Bruce Pearl don't do it for me. I think I would accept them if we needed to. But neither have a very impressing performance this year IMO.

The bottom like is that our options are limited right now. Very limited. We don't have a great list of available coaches and we still have a massive buyout. If we can't find the next coach or deal with the buyout, then we probably have to wait a year, and spend that time working on inroads to coaching replacements.

I think we are all being played by the all the news coming out. I'm afraid we are stuck with Calipari again. Don't get your hopes up about someone new coming in.

If you keep Cal, you will still have to be going through this again in 1,3, or 4 years at the most.

Do it now. The time has come to reset the program.
Very possible. But you save a lot of cash waiting until you have your guy

I don’t know. I just want to get it right with the new guy.
I do as well, but I don’t think bringing cal back doesn’t help anybody anymore. The players would be put in a bad position, the fans would, and cal would coach even worse then he already does

Last edited:
Reactions: bigbluedon
Who would UK need to hire for it to be the "right" coach, in your opinion??
The usual suspects of course. The big ones like wright, Stevens and Donovan. But I’m a big fan of Pearl. I think he’d kill it here. I am not at all excited about Drew so a lot of this is just me being scared we end up with Drew. This place would eat him alive

The usual suspects of course. The big ones like wright, Stevens and Donovan. But I’m a big fan of Pearl. I think he’d kill it here. I am not at all excited about Drew so a lot of this is just me being scared we end up with Drew. This place would eat him alive
I personally think if Mitch doesn't go after Danny Hurley with everything he's got, he is missing the chance of a lifetime to hire a young Rick Pitino type coach.

DH would have to tell me no at least 3 times and then I would ask him one more time if he was sure he didn't want to be the coach of the greatest basketball school of all times.

I personally think if Mitch doesn't go after Danny Hurley with everything he's got, he is missing the chance of a lifetime to hire a young Rick Pitino type coach.

DH would have to tell me no at least 3 times and then I would ask him one more time if he was sure he didn't want to be the coach of the greatest basketball school of all times.
Helluva coach. He slipped my mind. But he’s eluded to trouble with anxiety and he does seem thin skinned. I don’t know man. Kentucky is a different animal. I’m just hoping it works out

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT