ADVERTISEMENT

Small update from MJ

Cal staying and accepting limitations and more oversight to do so just doesn't seem possible.

If presented with this choice, all Cal has to do is say "then fire me."

Last edited:
But that's what I'm telling you, we don't actually have as much college talent as people think. We have NBA potential. Yes we had one non-consensus third team all american guard who is also a massive liability on defense.

If you're talking purely from a college point of view Houston and Marquette in our region have more college talent. Our guys may be better in three years in the NBA, but not at the college level.

Did you actually watch Houston's game against A&M last night? Shead controlled that game in a way non of our players are capable of doing. Kolek is surgical in the way he picks apart defense. Newton at UConn is the same way. The main thing here is these guys are seniors and incredibly experienced. They're not going to disappear in a tournament game like Reed did against Oakland.

Should we have beaten Oakland? Absolutely. We have ten times the talent they do. But if we needed to play both Marquette and Houston to make the Final Four it wasn't happening. Both of those teams are more talented now.
I get where you are coming from but that is the whole reason Cal is on the hot seat, in years past his freshman were better than the seniors on other teams were they not? Dillingham and Reed are looked at as the TOP college players in the draft, I think lot of fans and experts thought they were as good as the guards for Houston and Marquette right now. People certainly aren't just projecting Reed to be great, he has been great, same for Dillingham. A lot of players are projected to be great but not produce in college.

Reactions: dl51344
I think he’d have a small window where people say “he’s back!”, but by March it’d be the same issues we’ve seen the last 4 years at UK. This version of Cal is who he is now, doesn’t matter the location. Once you get into that comfort spot, hard to come out of it; especially for his age.
Exactly.

if Cal goes somewhere else and kills it, its not going to be based on the approach that he so arrogantly used here at UK. He won't be killing it with a freshmen recruiting class at whatever college that is not UK. If he kills it, it will be coaching a traditional mid 90's style of basketball like he did at UMass with veteran players he developed and landed in the transfer portal.

While I suspect he has softened his stance, moments after the Oakland loss, he doubled down on saying he was going to go with what he knows (translation - I'm gonna do what I wanna do until Mitch pays me) so there really is no reason to be concerned about what he does elsewhere - he's telling you what he is going to do here

and its not working

Reactions: crestcat
I didn't say I wanted him back. Just that's how it was always going to be.

The costs, Firing him and hiring a new, good coach would take over 80 million over the next 5 years. Not to mention the 4 - 5 million he is having to spend on womens basketball to fire and replace Elzy.

That would severely impact spending on other sports like football. If you go the route of accepting donor money to fund it, then where do you turn for NIL?

It's just cheaper and less impactful long term to keep Cal another year and hope for the best.
Where are you getting the 80 million number from?

Of all the inane bullshit I have heard this weekend, what if he kills it somewhere else, takes the prize. If Barnhart is REALLY worried about this, we are in even worse trouble than I thought. It is hard to take anyone who is reporting this story seriously at this point. It's pretty obvious to me with all the trail balloons Mitch or his minions have filtered to the media ( each more ridiculous than its predecessor) that Mitch is desperately trying to find a way to retain the prickfor another year. He is going to allow Cal to burn the house to its foundation.

Oh I'm not saying it to make excuses for Cal. This is the system he chose. But I do think people are confusing talent with potential when it comes to our recent teams. The college level talent hasn't been as high as people think. But that's Cal's fault and he's ultimately responsible for the roster, so the buck stops with him.
no I agree with you. We've been saying for years now that unless Cal gets the best talent in the class - and that talent has to include future NBA all star talent, then his system will not work. He just can't "experience up" those freshmen to the point they can play mistake free basketball and deal with adversity.

I'm sure people heard Hurley all pissed off in the post game interview where he was saying this is it - you can't make mistakes here or you go home and these guys have to be better than they were or we aren't winning it.

Meanwhile in Cal's post game interview he is talking about seeing his damn dogs, how many guys he has in the NBA all star game and basically shrugging his shoulders in an admission of this year we weren't good enough.

and then he'll jettison 90% of the team and see if next years collection of people that have never played college ball with be good enough to win 6 games straight in the NCAA tournament against increasingly better competition

People that supported this after Cal stopped getting the players he wanted in 2016
just didn't understand. People that did understand what was happening couldn't have imagined it could go so bad.

Reactions: KFuqua
I think Cal would absolutely kill it somewhere else. A change of scenery would do him wonders and he would be on a mission.

However, that cannot be a reason Mitch keeps him. Just simply can’t be.

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
If I believed Cal could kill it somewhere else I would want him gone even more. It would basically mean anger over being fired was enough to motivate him, but our $8.5 mil/year give or take wasn’t enough to motivate him past a first weekend any time this decade.

Odds are he will "kill it" wherever he's at. Let's say a team is favored in 20 tourney games. You would expect at the very least to win a majority of them (11-9). I guess it would go for a coach too. So, to reach that point Cal should win 9 out of the next 10 tourney games.....at least....correct???

*Sarcasm* just in case someone doesn't speak that language.

Where are you getting the 80 million number from?
From the basic math skills I developed as a child.

Cal's buyout is almost 34 million. A couple of the assistants also have buyouts. They aren't that large, but they add up to a few hundred thousand.

To hire a good new coach, will require around a 5 yr 35 million deal. That breaks down to around 7 million per year. For reference, the popular choice is Drew. His current Baylor deal is over 8 years and averages 7.25 million. He only earns 5.2 the first year, but it raises each year and averages out to 7.25. He also just turned down 8.5 at UL. So, 5 years at 35 will be just a bit above his current Baylor deal, which they will counter and likely drive us to counter as well.

The 34 plus 35 is already 69. Then you have to provide perks and benefits, plus another roughly 2 million annually for assistants and staff. That adds another 10 million over 5 years. So now you're at 79 million. But you also still have to provide those assistants with benefits and perks as well.

Now, this doesn't factor in the buyout we will have to pay that school to hire their coach away, nor the payroll taxes the university has to pay on all of this.

So, that will be well over 80 million. And then you have the Elzy buyout and the new coaches contract, plus their assistants.

Are you seeing it now?

“I’m miserable with my girlfriend but I don’t want to break up because what if she’s happy with her next boyfriend?”

giphy.gif

Barney gave him the outrageous contract and CAL has full control of the program. What do you think was going to happen? CAL gets lazy and lets the program slide. It’s time for him to go, I’m not sure CAL would let anyone oversee his job

For wondering why he would do radio show tonight, couldn’t he just use that as his sign off farewell good bye to the fans?
For some reason, I highly doubt Cal is interested in saying goodbye to any of the common fans. We're the one's calling for his job the loudest, but who knows... maybe a fond farewell?

So Cal is going to say to himself, well I guess its time for me to start killing it again? Like he can flip a switch to move from "Can't Coach Cal" to Swaggy Early UK Cal? I'll show em. Just wait to see.

Personally it is a risk that I am willing to take.

From the basic math skills I developed as a child.

Cal's buyout is almost 34 million. A couple of the assistants also have buyouts. They aren't that large, but they add up to a few hundred thousand.

To hire a good new coach, will require around a 5 yr 35 million deal. That breaks down to around 7 million per year. For reference, the popular choice is Drew. His current Baylor deal is over 8 years and averages 7.25 million. He only earns 5.2 the first year, but it raises each year and averages out to 7.25. He also just turned down 8.5 at UL. So, 5 years at 35 will be just a bit above his current Baylor deal, which they will counter and likely drive us to counter as well.

The 34 plus 35 is already 69. Then you have to provide perks and benefits, plus another roughly 2 million annually for assistants and staff. That adds another 10 million over 5 years. So now you're at 79 million. But you also still have to provide those assistants with benefits and perks as well.

Now, this doesn't factor in the buyout we will have to pay that school to hire their coach away, nor the payroll taxes the university has to pay on all of this.

So, that will be well over 80 million. And then you have the Elzy buyout and the new coaches contract, plus their assistants.

Are you seeing it now?
Great first post by the way. Brad? The annoying daughter from Nashville?

Wonder why Kansas didn’t fire Bill Self after he lost on the first weekend two years in a row. Nor is his seat even warm now after being preseason #1 and then losing 11 games and not winning the Big 12 or getting to the Sweet Sixteen.
Because he’s recently won a title and it’s a rarity he doesn’t win his conference, That’s why

Reactions: dl51344 and FltDoc
So Cal is going to say to himself, well I guess its time for me to start killing it again? Like he can flip a switch to move from "Can't Coach Cal" to Swaggy Early UK Cal? I'll show em. Just wait to see.

You truly are a clown 🤡

If he "kills it" someplace else, then it will have been a win for both parties...

No one wishes "Kal" ill-will, we just want to start winning again.

Actually think if the AD was on his ass to win or lose your job and the contract was based on performance you would see CAL will a little more fire.

Everything he said below….

As I Said on the the Twitter space, there are probably 2-3 people involved and they aren't talking.

- The meeting between Calipari and Mitch is going on today (maybe even right now). The Herald Leader is reporting that Calipari will be on his show at 6 pm. That is wild to me considering that I don't think the situation will be resolved that point but I know I will be listening.

- I get the sense from a number of people that the biggest issue is this...there is a worry about what happens if they let Calipari go and he goes somewhere else and kills it. What then? I get that fear but ultimately if the relationship is bad you do what you have to do. But the fear of "Cal. 2.0" at another school is a concern that I know Mitch and others have.

- I feel confident in what I said last night. Calipari will either not be the coach here next year or he will be told he can't operate as an independent until not with oversight by the Athletics Department anymore. It is unclear to me if Cal would accept option 2.

Now we all wait.....
You can't live in fear. That ain't livin.

If Cal kills it somewhere else, then he does. Doesn’t change the fact that losing to a 15 and 14 seed in the first round is inexcusable at Kentucky. You make the change, provided you know fairly well who the replacement is.
GOAT lost to a 14 and 15 seed. Mercer and Lehigh. Demanding to be better than the best is not quite realistic.

GOAT lost to a 14 and 15 seed. Mercer and Lehigh. Demanding to be better than the best is not quite realistic.

5 NCAA Titles.

K also won one of those 5 the year after losing one of those games. Do actually believe Cal can win a title next year????

I don’t.

Reactions: March 22
But K went NC, Sweet Sixteen, First Round Upset, Elite Eight, First Round Upset, NC.

A bit different than:
Missed Tourney (9 wins)
First Round Upset
Second Round Upset
First Round Upset

Reactions: catben and jrpross
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT