ADVERTISEMENT

Small update from MJ

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
Everything he said below….

As I Said on the the Twitter space, there are probably 2-3 people involved and they aren't talking.

- The meeting between Calipari and Mitch is going on today (maybe even right now). The Herald Leader is reporting that Calipari will be on his show at 6 pm. That is wild to me considering that I don't think the situation will be resolved that point but I know I will be listening.

- I get the sense from a number of people that the biggest issue is this...there is a worry about what happens if they let Calipari go and he goes somewhere else and kills it. What then? I get that fear but ultimately if the relationship is bad you do what you have to do. But the fear of "Cal. 2.0" at another school is a concern that I know Mitch and others have.

- I feel confident in what I said last night. Calipari will either not be the coach here next year or he will be told he can't operate as an independent until not with oversight by the Athletics Department anymore. It is unclear to me if Cal would accept option 2.

Now we all wait.....

Why hasnt he just killed it here then?

Easy peasy.

200w.gif

Last edited:
The second bullet point there is ridiculously laughable and sad to me at the same time. We keep a guy with bad results who doesn't prioritize the success of the program he's paid to lead just because they are afraid he might do good somewhere else?????? That's absurd.

I understand keeping him because he's too costly to let go. And I kind of understand keeping him because it's a bad look to fire a Hall of Fame coach, but keeping him because he might be successful somewhere else when he hasn't been lately here? ...I don't even have words for that....

As I Said on the the Twitter space, there are probably 2-3 people involved and they aren't talking.

- The meeting between Calipari and Mitch is going on today (maybe even right now). The Herald Leader is reporting that Calipari will be on his show at 6 pm. That is wild to me considering that I don't think the situation will be resolved that point but I know I will be listening.

- I get the sense from a number of people that the biggest issue is this...there is a worry about what happens if they let Calipari go and he goes somewhere else and kills it. What then? I get that fear but ultimately if the relationship is bad you do what you have to do. But the fear of "Cal. 2.0" at another school is a concern that I know Mitch and others have.

- I feel confident in what I said last night. Calipari will either not be the coach here next year or he will be told he can't operate as an independent until not with oversight by the Athletics Department anymore. It is unclear to me if Cal would accept option 2.

Now we all wait.....

The fear of him killing it elsewhere is silly. Who cares, even if he did? His success at another school has no impact on us.

I mean if Cal really wants to keep his job here I’d say make him re-structure the deal erase the crazy buyout and make it huge incentives to win SEC tournament games and final 4’s. He’ll never go for that so he’s going to remain lazy here so just a matter when you want to rip off the band aid. I mean Cal could kill it somewhere else but that’s the chance you take. It’s the same when you break up with a girlfriend you don’t know who wins until the dust settles. It’s just time!!

Now we all wait.....
This whole thing about him coming back because there is no one else crap is stupid. There are plenty of coaches who could give us better results than 1 win in 5 years in the tourney. He is a stubborn man. What in the heck makes anyone believe he will change and ky will be better. The man is 64 years old. Time to pull the ripcord.

Good for him if he does, but he ain't killing it here. My take... he is back, if he will be on the call in show then he's coming back. They'll pump up the hype machine one last time for this guy.

Now we all wait.....

That’s some serious loser mentality stuff right there. If the guy can’t get it done here of all places, only way he ever sniffs any success again is purely driven out of spite and will surely be short-lived anyway. How many coaches leave here and do better?

It would depend on where he went. What if he went to Arkansas?

IDK, doesn't really bother me. And honestly we all know he's going to try his HARDEST to rub it in our face no matter where he goes.. but whatever, who cares? He just lost his dream job and we have a new coach.

I'm more concerned if we fire him in a rash way, and we end up getting a shitty coach. If we're going to do the buyout, we need someone pretty good lined-up

I have said for a few years that my biggest fear was that Barnhart would still be here when it was time to replace Kal. The man has no plan and obviously wasn’t prepared for this.
All of that being said I don’t care Kal needs to go now!!

It actually means our buyout would be relative peanuts if he goes elsewhere. Kills it, with what? Energy, devotion, work ethic, collaboration, humility, technical basketball knowledge [roll][roll][roll][roll]

I was going to say lol.. he will probably just suck wherever he goes. I think that transition would be tiring on him anyways. And oh well, het gets SMU to an elite 8, it really wouldn't affect me in any way.. and in actuality ,it shows that it was time to fire a guy who wasnt giving it his all. It's not like if we DIDN'T fire him, that he'd have gotten us that elite 8.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
For wondering why he would do radio show tonight, couldn’t he just use that as his sign off farewell good bye to the fans?

What if he goes somewhere else and kills it. Who gives a shit, the chances of that happening are slim to none. You can’t let the fear of the unknown stop you from making the correct choice for this program. Look at all the leaks and media circus today, if he come back that willl be how the whole offseason goes

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT