ADVERTISEMENT

Update on Cal from MJ

He said Jay Wright would get the first phone call. whether or not he's interested he has no idea. I just went back and listened. Try not to insult people that can hear better than you. It starts at 8:20 if you want to go back and hear it correctly.
I literally said possibly some interest? Did I say there was certainly interest? No I didn’t, but you have to think Wright might consider it and even if he says no at least you asked

Reactions: catman111
Never hurts to ask Jay, I mean I think he’d be a good hire
Almost the entire fan base would blow up with excitement and be back to loving each other if Jay Wright by some miracle said yes.

His awkward chuckle last night on TV when poked again about UK’s opening was I think a little, clue. I think someone has already contacted him and he might be seriously pondering the idea.

Note I have no inside info so this is just my opinion.

Last edited:
I literally said possibly some interest? Did I say there was certainly interest? No I didn’t, but you have to think Wright might consider it and even if he says no at least you asked
No you said Wright had interest in the job, that is not what Matt Jones said. He said he thinks he would get the phone phone call because UK would be interested in him.

Drew likely would not take the job anyway . That’s a cushy gig, new arena and he’s won a title there . It’d likely ultimately be a candidate list similar to Louisville and Michigan

Kentucky reached out to the big from Rutgers. I’m taking that as the staff still doing their job until told otherwise

Edit: Man how about we let Cal handle the NIL stuff for him haaha.
I've always been on the record that Wright is 100% a pipe dream, but if there's ever a coach that would allow for Cal to stay involved with his little ambassador thing and handle things like NIL it's Wright. They seem to be friends and I doubt Wright would let Cal have too much influence on the program itself.

At the very least it could be a good sitcom. Two retired stubborn Yankees try to build a basketball program in a world that's quickly passing them by.

He did NOT say there was possible interest from Wright. Not sure if that's what you were implying or not. He said he thinks he would be the first call.
Yes I just listened. He said there would be interest from UK, not interest from Wright. He specifically said he had no idea if Wright would be interested.

Matt said he’d have him on the show before he cut off. I would think it had something to do with a coaching change, but who knows. He’s one of the bigger donors to the program
Again, you are totally making stuff up. He is not one of the biggest donors. He’s been involved in some NIL deals.

Good lord man, take the rest of the night off

I've always been on the record that Wright is 100% a pipe dream, but if there's ever a coach that would allow for Cal to stay involved with his little ambassador thing and handle things like NIL it's Wright. They seem to be friends and I doubt Wright would let Cal have too much influence on the program itself.

At the very least it could be a good sitcom. Two retired stubborn Yankees try to build a basketball program in a world that's quickly passing them by.

It's also right up Cals alley. I mean assuming Cal isn't broken beyond being a basketball coach, this is the type of work he's suited for, and has a passion for. And it would make Wrights job a heck of a lot easier if Cal is lining up NIL deals for him.

But we're getting waaaaay too ahead of ourselves

Reactions: BigBlue1992
Don’t see Wright as the slam dunk so many do. College basketball has changed dramatically with NIL since he was coaching.

If we get him, we would need to have a program GM.

Who else would you want thats a realistic option assuming the pie in the sky guys like Wright and Donovan were to say no?
I’ve said many times on here I’m not crazy about anyone out there right now outside of the big 3. Lloyd from Arizona would probably be my next choice but I’d have to do my research. All I know is that SOB we have for an AD better not mess this up

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT