ADVERTISEMENT

Rumblings within the program

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
First of all I just want to say I’m not here to spread misinformation.

With that being said I was told late last night by a source close to the program that there are some rumblings within the program about Cal stepping away after this season.

Now obviously this is subject to change, but Cal is considering stepping away, I believe the outcome of this season will ultimately be the deciding factor for him.

Many people within the program went into this season assuming it was his last but now there are some whispers within to back this up.

Again I don’t want to spread any misinformation and I trust my source. Take this for what you want.

problematic-stressed.gif

Not doubting what you heard. I think it would beneficial for everyone if he did. But like it’s been stated here a million times he isn’t walking away from 30-40 million dollars. I wouldn’t.
Well when I say walking away I don’t mean he just leaves all the money on the table. Something would be worked out if he ultimately does decide to step away.

This is probably not true……but one can hope.

Now here come the following comments:

1. Be careful what you wish for 🙄

2. Who you gonna get to coach? (As if 100 other coaches can’t get the same results as Cal in recent years)

3. Be prepared for a huge drop off in talent. (What has that talent done recently?)

If he can't do it this year, then it's not happening.

A heck of a lot of coaches from the past regime are bowing out. From Saban to Jay Wright. I would not be shocked if Cal didn't want to deal with this new era of college ball.
Being a college coach has got to be a headache, even worse now with the portal and nil. You could deliver on every single promise to a player, and they might still bolt and hit the portal. If you have been coaching for several decades, this has got to be a tough adjustment.

With that being said I was told late last night by a source close to the program that there are some rumblings within the program about Cal stepping away after this season.

Now obviously this is subject to change, but Cal is considering stepping away, I believe the outcome of this season will ultimately be the deciding factor for him.

Many people within the program went into this season assuming it was his last but now there are some whispers within to back this up.

Again I don’t want to spread any misinformation and I trust my source. Take this for what you want.
Rex, is that you? :p

If he does leave, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire team bolted and the recruits pulled their commitments. A new coach would have to field a team entirely from the portal. We have a losing season in '25.

And you know what? I would be OK with that. Because we need a restart in the worst possible way.

Still, I prefer to win it all. Cal steps down. Half the team stays. A new coach comes in. And the beat goes on...

Last edited:
Critically thinking here, if the OP’s source told him then his source has a source, and if the OP got this information from said source, then others naturally will as well, and almost no one in this business is going to sit on that information. Just my opinion.

Critically thinking here, if the OP’s source told him then his source has a source, and if the OP got this information from said source, then others naturally will as well, and almost no one in this business is going to sit on that information. Just my opinion.
Or a guy with not even 200 posts would even have sources in a major college basketball program

Joined 2 months ago. Troll level is not even novice

Not out of the question if it’s a mutual agreement. Anything can happen when two parties come to the table to negotiate.
Not if the University has no intention of moving on from him. He can't come to the table and say, "Give me $20 million and I'll walk away". That's not how it works. The only way he gets any buyout is if the university makes a decision that they want to move on from him.

Well when I say walking away I don’t mean he just leaves all the money on the table. Something would be worked out if he ultimately does decide to step away.
This is where you lost me (not that you ever had me)....if he ultimately decides to step away, the University is not going to just give him $20 million. That would be his decision and the university is not going to just hand over free money.

Or a guy with not even 200 posts would even have sources in a major college basketball program
I do not expect anyone to believe me and that’s fine. But I also was told Adou was returning (which he did) and there was a change coming to the starting 5 ( which there was) I posted both on here. Take this for what you want

Reactions: crestcat
This is where you lost me (not that you ever had me)....if he ultimately decides to step away, the University is not going to just give him $20 million. That would be his decision and the university is not going to just hand over free money.
Calipari will still get paid by UK if he does ultimately decide to just retire, he would become an ambassador for the program.

Reactions: WildcatFan60
Not out of the question if it’s a mutual agreement. Anything can happen when two parties come to the table to negotiate.

Yes, but UK has zero incentive for this. Why would we pay for him to retire? We are in the top 10 this year.

Also, we are talking about Barnhart and Capilouto. They seem very risk-averse.

Reactions: chroix
I do not expect anyone to believe me and that’s fine. But I also was told Adou was returning (which he did) and there was a change coming to the starting 5 ( which there was) I posted both on here. Take this for what you want
You posted those other things well after other posters had already posted them. Copying info others post is the "sources" you have. This post is definitely just a shot in the dark.

Calipari will still get paid by UK if he does ultimately decide to just retire, he would become an ambassador for the program.
But he would have to agree to that and it's only $1 million a year and that would end in 2029. That's drastically different than saying the university would pay him if he decided to walk away from the program.

Reactions: grevey35 and catben
I think that he is thinking about retiring, but he is recruiting hard for the next two years.

I would think Cal would want to announce his retirement before the year starts so he can make a big deal out of every game, receive gifts. We are talking about Cal.
This is my thought as well. No way Cal's ego would allow him to just step away at the end of the year without any fanfare. He would definitely want the ass-kissing and hoopla around his final season.

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT