ADVERTISEMENT

The Inevitable on Reed Sheppard

I would love him back, but he's putting future generations of his family in jeopardy if he doesn't recreate something close that he did this year. He's a lottery pick right now. If he drops down to the high thirties or low forties on three point makes he might be late first round or worse. I wouldn't blame him if he left. He is undersized and if he drops from a great shooter to a good shooter he will drop like a rock in the draft..
Bet his family will be ok no matter what he does.

Yeah, I don't want to put words in Pope's mouth and I don't want to get my hopes up and end up disappointed. So, I'm not anticipating Reed returning. If he does, I will be thrilled. If not, I can't blame him for not turning down being a lottery pick. If he were just a late first round or second round guy, it's a no-brainer he would return. But that's not the case. I can't be mad at him. He gave his heart and soul to UK this season. I can be mad at Cal for wasting his one season. I really do hope Reed returns because he deserves a better ending to his UK career.
Yeah. I still expect him to leave. Butttt… he’s already a millionaire. Yes, there is a difference between generational wealth and a few million. But I do think given how everything has came together that his odds of coming back have increased 10fold compared to the fractional chance he was going to come back just 3 weeks ago.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
From everything I have gathered, from the vibes, the coach talk, and all of the whispers, I now believe that Reed Sheppard will be returning to the University of Kentucky for his Sophomore season. There will be no greater story.
MJ just said he still thinks Reed will leave. ☹️

Reactions: FrankUnderwoodXx
I would love him back, but he's putting future generations of his family in jeopardy if he doesn't recreate something close that he did this year. He's a lottery pick right now. If he drops down to the high thirties or low forties on three point makes he might be late first round or worse. I wouldn't blame him if he left. He is undersized and if he drops from a great shooter to a good shooter he will drop like a rock in the draft..
He's alrady a millionare at 18/19.

Invest it right and you won't have to worry about future generations. Would it be NBA wealth? No. Would it be enough to be comfortable for the rest of your family's days? Yep.

Reactions: KFuqua
Pope can't say what he said today and he not. lol

Felt the same way about Jeff's interview where he said "we will see how good of a recruiter Mark Pope is" re: Reed.

I was really hoping they would announce it today. Would have been cool.

Don't know where my head is with it...

Reactions: KFuqua
What makes Reed's situation unique is his family history and even more that if he comes back
he might make more money next year on shirt sales and such than his NBA salary would be.
When he does go to the NBA salaries will be higher and his first deal will be bigger. It's not
like he's giving up $25-30 million like some are saying. In the short run and long run it might
be more profitable for Reed Sheppard to be at UK next year.

With the way some are convinced he’s coming back because “he loves the school and isn’t using the university to get to the NBA”I wonder how the reaction will be if he doesn’t .

Hopefully we don’t have to find out
That’s my fear, everyone should just wait until his announcement because I feel like too many are banking on this and the odds are he won’t be back. I really hope I’m wrong but I won’t believe it until he says it.

you have to believe that he will be the focal point trying to stop on defense. I don't think his stats will be as good. He's taking a chance of falling out of the top 15 to being in the second round.
Like Aaron Craft at Ohio State a few years ago.
I don't think Reed will return personally. That being said

Aaron Craft was NEVER an NBA prospect. He was a good hustle CBB player. NEVER an NBA player. Ever. If he'd have been drafted in the top 15, someone would be not just fired, but indicted on drug trafficking and abuse to a level that you need to be locked for your own good.

Sheppard in Pope's system would excel. He'd be fantastic in any system. He's a great player.

My god--I need to go on a quest to find an actual time portal or something to get my life in order because I've had to read of a Fat Egyptian guy being the savior of CBB from nerd media, now Aaron Craft/Reed Sheppard comparisons and Mitch Barnhart shocked that BYU wasn't getting the same reception as Kentucky.

I'm going to the Portal and hoping to re-emerge to sanity and reality.

From everything I have gathered, from the vibes, the coach talk, and all of the whispers, I now believe that Reed Sheppard will be returning to the University of Kentucky for his Sophomore season. There will be no greater story.
Wow. Another unforgettable?

I don't believe it is unrealistic at all. With all of the talk from Pope on how much Kentucky truly means to him and all of his former teammates including Jeff, I think Reed is coming back. It's hard to see Reed go to the NBA when you hear thing like when Pope talked about the locker room talk about college when he was in the NBA, to him going on to say that wearing a UK jersey was by far his proudest moments of his career. Pope, Jeff and Reed know what this moment could mean for themselves, and to the history of UK and college basketball. The money will be waiting for Reed in the NBA.
Jeff wasn’t even from KY but even his dream was to wear the UK Jersey. There was a time that dream extended beyond the boundaries of KY. I like to think Reed would want to play for the team under a coach who understands that. I know as a Kentucky boy who pretended I was Kyle Macy out in my driveway, if I was in his shoes and had the chance to be that hometown hero, sometimes the money takes a back seat.

You’re setting yourself up. Them going after the Oklahoma state guard should tell you how they feel about Reed
What are you talking about. First they have to have contingencies, but better yet, this offense can run with three Reed Sheppards. They share the ball.

Reactions: W1LDCAT22
What are you talking about. First they have to have contingencies, but better yet, this offense can run with three Reed Sheppards. They share the ball.
A top 10 pick most likely isn’t coming back, and small is a ball dominant guard like Sheppard is. That’s what I was talking about

I just dont see it.

I think Pope out of any other coach would make him consider. But his parents for his entire life have never forced anything on him or tried to direct him in a particular path.

It will be his decision alone not Jeff's

Reactions: Girthang
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT