ADVERTISEMENT

Chatter within

I think it's just the perception that if someone can have national success at a smaller, less intense program, why would he choose to accept the headaches that come with being Kentucky's coach. I agree you have to ask him but I'd guess his situation is pretty good.
3-4 million raise could buy a lot of headache medicine.

Reactions: UK-chulo
I posted a week ago about there was chatter about Cal being gone from UK next season, well a little update from my source today…..

Tensions are very high within the program, Mitch and Cal both have met today. Not sure what exactly was said, but it does seem like this is the end.

All I know is there is a 98% chance Cal is not at UK next season. Whether they buy him out, fire him, or he could go coach elsewhere.
That is it OP, I bet they are probably trying to iron out where he coaches next year. Picking a team as we speak. Your little "sources" thread would have been 10% believable if you would not have put the part about he MAY coach somewhere else. That part of your "story" would not even be until after the season is over. Same as the fire / quit part, but especially the coach somewhere else equation to your 98% guarantee. Do not name your source, heaven forbid us who want to be in the know do not want to lose a solid source, but what is his position in the equation ? Coach ? Admin ? player ? Little birdie ?

Reactions: catben
I’d take Travis Ford over this carpetbagger. Dark horse candidate Mark Pope? Like Mitch, he’s a Quaker so there’s that connection
Seriously ? I mean Travis is my dude (we played against one another growing up and play together in high school), but have you watched his St. Louis team this year ? They are like 10-15. He had a solid team a few years back with a bunch of FR and Soph. studs. They did NATHAN. Travis had some good / solid years at Okie State and others, but he is NOT UK material.

I posted a week ago about there was chatter about Cal being gone from UK next season, well a little update from my source today…..

Tensions are very high within the program, Mitch and Cal both have met today. Not sure what exactly was said, but it does seem like this is the end.

All I know is there is a 98% chance Cal is not at UK next season. Whether they buy him out, fire him, or he could go coach elsewhere.
I can't believe this joker got seven pages out of this fiction. All of you are being taken for a ride.

Reactions: catben
There is nothing Oats can’t do at Alabama that he’d need to be at UK to do. There isn’t something magical about UK that makes it easier to win in the tournament. He’d just be switching teams in a conference he’s already winning and would be going into a higher pressure environment with very little upside. Bama isn’t some small mid major.
Really ? So you are saying that Saban could have left Bama, came to UK and won a championship ? I mean, UK is not some mid-major, nothing Saban had at Bama that he would need for UK. Oh wait, yes there is, a recruiting base that has been established for years. No way Bama signs the players UK does year in and year out. Yes Oates gets SOME 5* kids, but he would have it easier to sign top classes at UK than Bama. To think different is just silly.
Yes Bama is a very solid program in a major conference, but even with the struggles lately, the UK name still mean something to these kids. And I get Cal has a lot to do with that, but Oates and UK would still draw great talent year in and year out. Oates gets a lot of his kids in the portal.

Reactions: howercat
Still couldn’t get it done with his team last year.
Exactly. We arepretty much Bama from last year. Score a ton of points and can't guard a tree. But people are bitching about Cal, but wanting the exact same thing that a Oates team did at Bama. Only difference is, Cal has at least done it, Oates is a never has. He has had elite talent at Bama and has not done jack shit with it. Can he do it for 20 years year in and year out.

Did we really have a poster say "Bama cannot win a title in basketball because they will not spend money to BUY officials but they will in football?" I mean if they do it in football, and a little cash would do it in basketball, why would they not ? Bama has a boat load of money /resources for ALL athletic teams, that is just silly. OK, time to wrap this thread up, it has gone completely off the rails. Just dumb, like a TON of post in here, starting with the OP's.

A few weeks ago someone mentioned a coach from Southwest Missouri that had won 6 national titles on the D2 level and a great win-loss %. Can’t remember the name but he would sure be worth checking into.

I don’t believe any of that but I hope you’re right

A few weeks ago someone mentioned a coach from Southwest Missouri that had won 6 national titles on the D2 level and a great win-loss %. Can’t remember the name but he would sure be worth checking into.

Eh, thats a huge leap. From D2 all the way to a premier college basketball program.

I also wonder about these programs/coaches that do real well on lesser conference and leagues. Like, how hard are the other schools trying at D2? I can tell you this, part of why Iona has been so successful in the MAAC, is simply due to the rest of the schools seemingly not caring as much as Iona does about basketball.

I can't believe this joker got seven pages out of this fiction. All of you are being taken for a ride.
How is this fiction? Anyone with a brain understands the program is going downhill? You think Cal is still around if there is an early exit in March? Absolutely not

How is this fiction? Anyone with a brain understands the program is going downhill? You think Cal is still around if there is an early exit in March? Absolutely not
I think you are selling it pretty hard, someone was on here saying Cal was gone at the end of last season, so people are going to be skeptical

Reactions: JFCats22
You are buying what the DA put out there to keep him on the team. The only facts you have are what the Media was told. So bottom line my facts are as factual as yours. We suspended players for having one of those fake guns on campus. Do you have any idea he was sitting in the car facing the car of the person that got murdered. As soon as he saw his friend took out a gun any reasonable person would have got the hell out of there. And on top of that the murderer was a Bama basketball player.
Im curious how you are privy to information the media didn’t have.

Eh, thats a huge leap. From D2 all the way to a premier college basketball program.

I also wonder about these programs/coaches that do real well on lesser conference and leagues. Like, how hard are the other schools trying at D2? I can tell you this, part of why Iona has been so successful in the MAAC, is simply due to the rest of the schools seemingly not caring as much as Iona does about basketball.
Basketball is just basketball. Same premise on every level. If you can coach at D2 you can coach at D1. Yes the players are better but that doesn’t mean your system won’t work. You make tweaks here and there but it also means your players are better too. I would love to learn more about the guy whoever he is.

Reactions: Kyhoward and deep3
I don’t believe for one second Cal and Mitch met today. That isn’t Mitch’s style especially when dealing with Cal who he has a non relationship. Cal also isn’t being fired nor is his contract being bought out. I guess he could coach somewhere next year but who is a going to pay him near what he makes at UK. Your “source” is about as credible as Bigfoot.
Hey, watch it, those are fightin' words...
iu

Here is to hoping. That's a pretty big %.

Old Cal was a good coach. People forget that. You don’t rack up the wins he has had without being good. Cal also beat us that year before that rematch in March during that Great Wight matchup in Michigan.

The issue is that Cal is long gone. Looooong gone. Hasn’t really even seen since 2017.
any chance Cal hates MJ and the "bennies" so much its caused some of it Next year, if Cals still around we will have an elite defense but only put 60. Cals teams are always missing something.

any chance Cal hates MJ and the "bennies" so much its caused some of it Next year, if Cals still around we will have an elite defense but only put 60. Cals teams are always missing something.
yes, they are always missing a COACH

unfortunately, I think the clown is at UK for as long as he wants to be. I don't think Barnhart has the guts, and probably not the power to get rid of him. Plus one of the major donors likes ccc, so I think he will stay just to spite the fans

Only if they have tickets, Dillingham is the only first round pick
I was referring to Cals comments several years ago. He himself said “ This is the greatest day in UK basketball history “ or something along those lines.
That comment combined with Cal and squad taking a knee to our National Anthem finished off a lot of ol school UK basketball lifers. I have friends and family that hasn’t and will not watch another game until Cal is gone.
It’s been over for Cal for several years but some people just refuse to accept it. He better get it figured out with this group because he’ll never have this much talent again. I have zero confidence in him to do anything other than F things up at this point. I love this team though, and wish they were being coached by someone else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT