ADVERTISEMENT

The Inevitable on Reed Sheppard

From everything I have gathered, from the vibes, the coach talk, and all of the whispers, I now believe that Reed Sheppard will be returning to the University of Kentucky for his Sophomore season. There will be no greater story.

It's the hope, but they're going to have to somewhat replace at least a good proportion of what he would have received in first year NBA salary to get him to stay. Jmo though. I just want to get to enjoy seeing him play more and in a real aggressive offense.

Reactions: UK-chulo
It would be great but seems unrealistic.
I don't believe it is unrealistic at all. With all of the talk from Pope on how much Kentucky truly means to him and all of his former teammates including Jeff, I think Reed is coming back. It's hard to see Reed go to the NBA when you hear thing like when Pope talked about the locker room talk about college when he was in the NBA, to him going on to say that wearing a UK jersey was by far his proudest moments of his career. Pope, Jeff and Reed know what this moment could mean for themselves, and to the history of UK and college basketball. The money will be waiting for Reed in the NBA.

Reed will be back. And he will be back for one reason: he is one of us. It's as simple as that. Like every single one of the rest of us, Reed Sheppard didn't grow up dreaming about playing in the NBA. He grew up dreaming about playing for Kentucky. He's going to get enough NIL $$$ to more than tidy him over for another year. The NBA opportunity will still be there. But he will never get another opportunity to play for his father's former teammate at Kentucky.

Reed will be back. And he'll be Mark Pope's version of Jamal Mashburn, electrifying the fan base as he leads our team while bridging that gap between our past and our future. It is the kind of storyline you only see play out in books. And it is going to be beautiful.

From everything I have gathered, from the vibes, the coach talk, and all of the whispers, I now believe that Reed Sheppard will be returning to the University of Kentucky for his Sophomore season. There will be no greater story.
You’re setting yourself up. Them going after the Oklahoma state guard should tell you how they feel about Reed

With the way some are convinced he’s coming back because “he loves the school and isn’t using the university to get to the NBA”I wonder how the reaction will be if he doesn’t .

Hopefully we don’t have to find out

you have to believe that he will be the focal point trying to stop on defense. I don't think his stats will be as good. He's taking a chance of falling out of the top 15 to being in the second round.
Like Aaron Craft at Ohio State a few years ago.
Can’t really focus on one guy in this offense, and Reed is tailor-made for it, not only because of his shooting but how he shares the ball.

You come off with one ridiculous take after another.

A sweet NIL deal or 4 can go a long way in offsetting the NBA dollars. At least enough to make it worth his while to stay.

It didn’t look like there was any question where Travis Perry’s heart lies. He’s signed here to be a Wildcat more than a Cal bench player.

If it doesn't work out, that will be Pope's first bad mistake. And a big one. You can't hint like that in front of a full Rupp and not have it.
I get it he wanted to get the fanbase hyped up. I still think Reed is gone. I encourage everybody to go watch Javon small from Oklahoma st. He is a good guard and somebody I hope pope gets

Same. I really expected it to be announced at the end of the conference with how it was going.

The “sometimes no words speaks the loudest” comment after the “one more year” chants was very tongue in cheek.
Yeah, I don't want to put words in Pope's mouth and I don't want to get my hopes up and end up disappointed. So, I'm not anticipating Reed returning. If he does, I will be thrilled. If not, I can't blame him for not turning down being a lottery pick. If he were just a late first round or second round guy, it's a no-brainer he would return. But that's not the case. I can't be mad at him. He gave his heart and soul to UK this season. I can be mad at Cal for wasting his one season. I really do hope Reed returns because he deserves a better ending to his UK career.

With the way some are convinced he’s coming back because “he loves the school and isn’t using the university to get to the NBA”I wonder how the reaction will be if he doesn’t .

Hopefully we don’t have to find out

For 99% the reaction would be a combination of disappointment and understanding. I’m not going to lose much sleep over the other 1%.

Reed will be back. And he will be back for one reason: he is one of us. It's as simple as that. Like every single one of the rest of us, Reed Sheppard didn't grow up dreaming about playing in the NBA. He grew up dreaming about playing for Kentucky. He's going to get enough NIL $$$ to more than tidy him over for another year. The NBA opportunity will still be there. But he will never get another opportunity to play for his father's former teammate at Kentucky.

Reed will be back. And he'll be Mark Pope's version of Jamal Mashburn, electrifying the fan base as he leads our team while bridging that gap between our past and our future. It is the kind of storyline you only see play out in books. And it is going to be beautiful.
I would love him back, but he's putting future generations of his family in jeopardy if he doesn't recreate something close that he did this year. He's a lottery pick right now. If he drops down to the high thirties or low forties on three point makes he might be late first round or worse. I wouldn't blame him if he left. He is undersized and if he drops from a great shooter to a good shooter he will drop like a rock in the draft..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT