ADVERTISEMENT

Rumblings within the program

That’s fine, and many could say that same to you. Who cares?

I think anything is possible these days, as college coaching has become one of the most challening sports jobs around. NIL, transfer, recruiting, program management, civic and social responsibilities, and yea ... coaching...

Just my opinion, I think Calipari really wants to win another NC. So if he did this year, I could see him leaving. Otherwise, I think he gives it another 1-2 years, since he has some pretty good recruiting classes lined up.

So the question will be, does he do a Coach-K, announce a year in advance, and throw a season long party? Or do a Jay Wright/Nick Saban, and just retire. And finally, he will probably negotiate something with UK.. in addition to that ambassador ship.. at least the amount. Doubt Calipari needs any money after retirement, but hey, most high level coaches and players have big ego's, and expect to be paid.

Today one of my well heeled regulars came in fresh off a visit to the craft center. He said coach seem sick more than anything, and when he asked how he was cal took a moment before he replied, simply- “I’m tired.”

The old timer said it reminded him of the end with the Baron in some ways. The eyes and face seem to age with the same quickened pace. Both men against time. But that cal seemed resigned to his fate in a way Rupp never was. Like he was going down with the ship.

• Haha
Reactions: Midway Cat
That may be him, I’m thinking his was class or 25 or maybe even 2026. Like a super high ranked kid.
No. This kid graduates this year. Just jumped out on the national scene this past summer in AAU. Had offers from South Carolina, Butler, Seton Hall, Cal, & Stanford. Several schools from the ACC, SEC, & Big 10 have sent out feelers about how strong his commitment is, but he seems set on South Carolina from what I hear. They think he can play right away.

Reactions: Fox2monk
The "cheating" he got fired for was literally too many phone calls, and it was 20 years ago. Not even close to a rule now.

Bill Self ACTUALLY cheats (unlike Sampson), and is applauded around the basketball world.

Chris Beard- I agree is a piece of shit apparently if that story is true. But he is the best coach in the SEC for my money. Dude just turns teams/programs around seemingly without a sweat.
I would be totally on board for Sampson if not for his age .

I get that you’re here to troll, but there are what, 5 coaches with more career Final Fours?

He also ranks right in front of Coach K in all time win percentage.

So maybe not a Coach K send-off, but something fairly substantial would be well warranted.
Not here to troll. I’ve consistently been skeptical of Cal’s reverence. Really good coach who has accomplished a lot. No question. But a year long send off with festivities or gifts after each game would seem awkward at best and pretentious at worst. What coach would want that? And I don’t think any opposing crowd would suddenly turn respectful during the process. I compare Cal to Izzo and would seem just as awkward and pretentious for him.

Reactions: bigbluedon
I think anything is possible these days, as college coaching has become one of the most challening sports jobs around. NIL, transfer, recruiting, program management, civic and social responsibilities, and yea ... coaching...

Just my opinion, I think Calipari really wants to win another NC. So if he did this year, I could see him leaving. Otherwise, I think he gives it another 1-2 years, since he has some pretty good recruiting classes lined up.

So the question will be, does he do a Coach-K, announce a year in advance, and throw a season long party? Or do a Jay Wright/Nick Saban, and just retire. And finally, he will probably negotiate something with UK.. in addition to that ambassador ship.. at least the amount. Doubt Calipari needs any money after retirement, but hey, most high level coaches and players have big ego's, and expect to be paid.
After he won his last title he stated that he was glad that was over with. Since then, he's not once stated that he'd like to win another title. In fact he's stated that conference season and tournament titles aren't his thing.

Reactions: ukwazoo
It's very well documented he told that team to stop shooting 3s and they continued anyway. Going 4-32 from 3 is not on the coach.
Was it the players that said they were told to stop shooting 3's but refused, or did Cal say that?

Was it the players that said they were told to stop shooting 3's but refused, or did Cal say that?
See? The fact that the players didn't know how to attack a 1-3-1 is THEIR fault. Cal didn't do anything wrong. He told them not to shoot 3s. That is a game winning strategy right there. How do you not understand this?

It’s awesome having top recruiting classes year after year, but is it really working?
No titles in over a decade. And titles are all that really matters. I’d be okay being average or less than for a couple of year and getting a title every five years or so on average. That’s where Kentucky basketball should be.

And I’m not sure getting these top recruiting classes really matter anymore now that the portal is open. We have some awesome frosh, but you could take in 5 senior, experienced, good mid major players and have more success it seems. These recruiting classes would still be great assuming they would stay longer than four months.

Reactions: jof2
See? The fact that the players didn't know how to attack a 1-3-1 is THEIR fault. Cal didn't do anything wrong. He told them not to shoot 3s. That is a game winning strategy right there. How do you not understand this?
My question had nothing to do with any understanding of what a 1-3-1 is, or whether it's a good strategy. Maybe before questioning other people's understanding of something, maybe make sure YOU understand what they're asking?

Reactions: Mike-McD
Today one of my well heeled regulars came in fresh off a visit to the craft center. He said coach seem sick more than anything, and when he asked how he was cal took a moment before he replied, simply- “I’m tired.”

The old timer said it reminded him of the end with the Baron in some ways. The eyes and face seem to age with the same quickened pace. Both men against time. But that cal seemed resigned to his fate in a way Rupp never was. Like he was going down with the ship.
I was there and experienced the transition between Coach Rupp and Coach Hall...Between the then UK Mandatory retirement at 70 and his failing health, he did not want to step down. He did not want to think what his life would be without Kentucky Basketball and wanted to win another one so badly. Joe B. was there in the wings and thank goodness he was. One of the greatest following a legend stories of all times. Cal may be growing tired from the weight, but he has brought a lot of it on himself. His priorities were very different from Coach Rupp's.

If he REALLY wants to win another championships, why doesn't he go all in and put a lot more effort into the coaching and strategy side of things instead of just the recruiting?

Of all the good posts on here for discussion how the hell does a troll with fake sources make this post and get 7 pages of responses? Madness....
Yep. And a lot of responses from people that just joined recently. It’s troll, or previously banned city on this site.

Are you sure they didn't meet on the frozen tundra of Green Bay's Lambeau Field?

I have said this for the past 3 years.
Cal is burned out. It happens.

Reactions: bigbluedon
My question had nothing to do with any understanding of what a 1-3-1 is, or whether it's a good strategy. Maybe before questioning other people's understanding of something, maybe make sure YOU understand what they're asking?
You need to turn up the gain on your sarc-o-meter.

• Love
Reactions: NociHTTP
Why would he spend all this time and energy recruiting high schoolers and getting a very good player reclassify if he were not coming back for the next year. Everybody this is bait, don’t overthink this
It's not like he wouldn't take those recruits with him to his next gig. Just ask Wall and Cuz if he would.

UK doesn’t have to break the bank to get a good coach. Here are three that would come for half of what Cal makes.
6232c40b23190.image.jpg

MQ3MCGL4CZGR5F5E3YCR3LTXL4.jpg

Dusty-May.png
Absolutely not, if Mitch hires any of these 3 ill never watch UK until they are gone. This is Kentucky not LSU. We can do better

Of all the good posts on here for discussion how the hell does a troll with fake sources make this post and get 7 pages of responses? Madness....
We all know the OP is 99% just making it up......... but we're taking advantage of the thread and doing the .....what if something does change in the offseason and Cal does leave.

does it bother you that we are all have dreams and wishes about Cal leaving and us getting a new coach? if so direct your anger or frustration to Cal for being that bad

First of all I just want to say I’m not here to spread misinformation.

With that being said I was told late last night by a source close to the program ....
I also am not here to spread information about people who are not here to spread information, however with that being said.... you just joined in November, and this is the first news your source close to the program has given ya?... Screen name before you were booted from the last screen name?

ohhh.. i see... you chose not to share the info from your source until now.... gotcha bubba.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT