ADVERTISEMENT

Chatter within

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
I posted a week ago about there was chatter about Cal being gone from UK next season, well a little update from my source today…..

Tensions are very high within the program, Mitch and Cal both have met today. Not sure what exactly was said, but it does seem like this is the end.

All I know is there is a 98% chance Cal is not at UK next season. Whether they buy him out, fire him, or he could go coach elsewhere.

I posted a week ago about there was chatter about Cal being gone from UK next season, well a little update from my source today…..

Tensions are very high within the program, Mitch and Cal both have met today. Not sure what exactly was said, but it does seem like this is the end.

All I know is there is a 98% chance Cal is not at UK next season. Whether they buy him out, fire him, or he could go coach elsewhere.
If they fire him they have to buy him out. If he goes elsewhere he will still be owed partial money.

Unless Cal retires and says I’m done, UK is gonna take a wallet hit.

Some obvious coaches you offer and you have to make them say no

Scott Drew
Dan Hurley
Fred Hoiberg
Billy Donovan
Nate Oats
Pearl

Yes.
Yes but he won't come. Already has a better job with less pressure as long as they give him a raise.
Why? His career has nothing UK worthy.
Yes but he won't come.
Barney won't call
Barney sure won't call.

Reactions: jrpross

Scott Drew
Dan Hurley
Fred Hoiberg
Billy Donovan
Nate Oats
Pearl
WTF has Fred Hoiberg done in his career to warrant being mentioned? He's a guy happy to be near his hometown and be in a league/school where winning some games and pulling some upsets gets them to celebrate his "greatness".

WTF has Fred Hoiberg done in his career to warrant being mentioned? He's a guy happy to be near his hometown and be in a league/school where winning some games and pulling some upsets gets them to celebrate his "greatness".
Do you know of anyone, maybe in a lesser league that is pushing the envelope in some way?

I'm thinking back to what Pitino was in the '80s.

Scott Drew
Dan Hurley
Fred Hoiberg
Billy Donovan
Nate Oats
Pearl

Someone please explain to me the Scott Drew nonsense?

Dude has been at Baylor for 20 years and has one Final Four. One. Got lucky with one team where the talent came together- has missed more NCAA tournaments than he has 2nd weekend appearances.

Someone explain it to me??

I would be so excited if I could trust you at your word, lol .

Do you know of anyone, maybe in a lesser league that is pushing the envelope in some way?

Will Wade…the one year turn around he had made at Mcneese State has been remarkable and if her were still at LSU he would still be killing Calapari. The guy can flat out coach and make some strong ass offers.

Last edited:
I would have thought Mitch would’ve been at the women’s game . He travels to their road games a lot …maybe not today tho

Dude has been at Baylor for 20 years and has one Final Four. One. Got lucky with one team where the talent came together- has missed more NCAA tournaments than he has 2nd weekend appearances.

This. Scott Drew is Cal reincarnated. I can’t believe UK would settle for such a vanilla pick.

He's a barney type hire. That's why.

Pearl and Oats and hoiberg haven't won a title and have 1 final four between the 3 of them. Thanks cal

Reactions: Gaguge
If another school was interested in hiring him, say UMass, it's certainly possible a severance package could be agreed upon, where he could leave, save face, walk away with a shit ton of money and land a new gig to play the back nine on, where the expectations are nominal.

Problem with that is, who Brainfart has in mind to replace him here - my guess is a turd like Holtman. Plus Brainfart, the architect of this mess is still in place.

Both need to go!

Got lucky? That team beat the crap out of Houston and Gonzaga to win the title.

Made elite eights in 2010/2012.

Would have gone far in Tourney in 19-20.

Biggest thing is: He can do so much more at UK than Baylor. What he has done at Baylor... A small private school in Waco Texas with very little NIL is likely the best rebuild in sports history.

Would still take Oats over him but give me a break with the hate for Scott Drew.

Im going to take the info with about a whole salt mine of salt there.

also , people that think Cal wont leave because he wont be fired are silly........... it wont be of the headlines saying he was fired, it would be him pulling a tubby... or a Roy Williams. Tubby went to another school but he was told its best to leave because its bad for both if its seen as a firing. And Roy Williams was pressured to retire at UNC... Im absolutely sure thats how Barnhart would wish for this to go down if Cal doesnt make a final four soon..... having it seen as a firing is bad for both school and coach.

Pitino was in the playoffs with the Knicks at the time. Before that, he reached the Final Four with a Big East team, in the peak era. There are plenty "young, hungry, and just want to win" coaches out there, but not an 80s Rick Pitino. I think people are going to have to accept that with the next coach.

Got lucky? That team beat the crap out of Houston and Gonzaga to win the title.

Made elite eights in 2010/2012.

Would have gone far in Tourney in 19-20.

Biggest thing is: He can do so much more at UK than Baylor. What he has done at Baylor... A small private school in Waco Texas with very little NIL is likely the best rebuild in sports history.

Would still take Oats over him but give me a break with the hate for Scott Drew.
Texas has some of the best players in America and NIL at Baylor might be better than UK. I would get behind “the pistol” Oates but Drew constantly doesn’t win their conference or conference tourney. Just like Cal.

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
Another year, another “Cal is definitely gone after this season” thread. I didn’t believe the others and I don’t believe this one either. Mitch isn’t firing Cal, maybe there is a tiny possibility he decides to go somewhere else but saying it’s a 98% certainty is dumb as hell.

Texas has some of the best players in America and NIL at Baylor might be better than UK. I would get behind “the pistol” Oates but Drew constantly doesn’t win their conference or conference tourney. Just like Cal.
Not quite sure about the NIL situation being correct on your part....

It is a lot tougher to win the Big 12 with KU and others than the SEC in UK's case.

I've seen him build a program and win a title for goodness sakes. Apperently not enough people care about that and how he can translate that to UK.

The rumor has been around for a few years that Drew is at the top of Mitch's list because he goes to the same church.

Pitino was in the playoffs with the Knicks at the time. Before that, he reached the Final Four with a Big East team, in the peak era. There are plenty "young, hungry, and just want to win" coaches out there, but not an 80s Rick Pitino. I think people are going to have to accept that with the next coach.
This.

You’re not gonna find a 90s UK Pitino.
You’re not gonna find a early mid 2000s Cal
You’re not gonna find an Adolph Rupp.
You’re not gonna find a Coach K.

Those are once in a lifetime dudes. We’ve just lucked out having damn good coaches over the years. Same with UConn.

You just have to find a guy that’s good on court, hungry, and isn’t a complete PR nightmare off court.

I just don’t see him going as hard after quantaince and fland if he were leaving

This.

You’re not gonna find a 90s UK Pitino.
You’re not gonna find a early mid 2000s Cal
You’re not gonna find an Adolph Rupp.
You’re not gonna find a Coach K.

Those are once in a lifetime dudes. We’ve just lucked out having damn good coaches over the years. Same with UConn.

You just have to find a guy that’s good on court, hungry, and isn’t a complete PR nightmare off court.
Hunry, young and competent would be a winning trifecta

Any chance he could be up for the vandy job has a home there and he could retire there screaming and yelling up and down the sidelines

• Love
Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT