ADVERTISEMENT

The Inevitable on Reed Sheppard

If Reed was returning, he would have been introduced today as the captain of next year’s team. And Rupp would have broken decibel levels.

Thus, I believe he is gone. They would have otherwise capitalized on the moment.

He’d be making a mistake to leave. He is not ready. Needs at least another year of seasoning if not two. He’s 6-2, a half step slow, and can’t create his own shot (against NBA guys). If Reed wants to have a 10 year NBA career as opposed to a one contract career, he needs to get better.

(Fire away, I’m sure some of you will say I’m crazy.)

You guys are setting yourself up to be so disappointed.
People like you are gonna have a lot of crow to eat. I can't see how or why this is the hill you decide to die on because the writing is on the wall. Many posters have gotten downright nasty when anyone mentions the possibilty that Reed may come back.

A top 10 pick most likely isn’t coming back, and small is a ball dominant guard like Sheppard is. That’s what I was talking about
Well, that’s your opinion. After what I watched today, I think the Sheppards are a different breed. I won’t be surprised with his decision either way. You all just have to get past that Cal OAD mentality. Sometimes things mean more to certain guys.

That was former players. Don't wanna be on the former player bus if you're not a former player
I know that, but great point. Still would have been a phenomenal addition to an already phenomenal event, to see him pop out from somewhere.

Reed is probably gone, but I’ll hold out hope until I see him walking across the stage on draft night and I won’t have one bit of ill will against him for it.

He’s already been a savior to this program, without him we would have lost 15 games last year and had to pay Calipari to leave town. Arkansas wouldn’t have come knocking.

People like you are gonna have a lot of crow to eat. I can't see how or why this is the hill you decide to die on because the writing is on the wall. Many posters have gotten downright nasty when anyone mentions the possibilty that Reed may come back.
What an odd response. It is still the most likely outcome that he goes to the draft. What hill am I dying on? Assuming he goes to the draft is the best way to view a top 10 pick and then just be happy if he does decide to come back, instead of the other way around.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
Reed is on his way to the west coast to train for the draft. Unfortunately he isn’t coming back.
Your insight holds a lot of weight. I’m wondering why Coach Pope would make the Sheppard references he did make if Reed was 100% not coming back. I’m thinking it’s 70/30 he’s going to the NBA.

Reactions: ncaaky
Hope he stays but if the answer is no, I think we don't get an answer until the very end or at least until Coach Pope gets a couple recruiting wins under his belt. If he announces before that happens there will be a segment of media and fans that will paint everything as doom and gloom.

Reactions: NociHTTP
It’s almost like they want him to go and want Pope to fail. How could you not get behind Pope after today?

What makes Reed's situation unique is his family history and even more that if he comes back
he might make more money next year on shirt sales and such than his NBA salary would be.
When he does go to the NBA salaries will be higher and his first deal will be bigger. It's not
like he's giving up $25-30 million like some are saying. In the short run and long run it might
be more profitable for Reed Sheppard to be at UK next year.
This is not entirely accurate. Players who make it to a SECOND NBA contract are getting paid insane money. If he stays another year do not compare what he would make his first year to his potential NIL income, but compare it to his last year of pay since his career in the NBA will be shorter.

If Reed was returning, he would have been introduced today as the captain of next year’s team. And Rupp would have broken decibel levels.

Thus, I believe he is gone. They would have otherwise capitalized on the moment.

Not necessarily.

Still business to be done, and Reed holds the NIL negotiating advantage if he hasn't already declared he's returning. If they know he's returning they might not put as much on the table for him.

He's worth even more in NIL if he packages the deal WITH the declaration of return.

Reactions: W1LDCAT22
I have no problem with Matt Jones, but it was obvious he knew nothing during the coaching search.
Yeah kind of what I was talking about. I don’t tend to pay much attention to him. During the coaching search he seemed to constantly want to appear to be out in front of things, but didn’t seem to really know that much.

Every time I hear Jeff say they are gathering information this is what I’m really hearing lol

Show Me The Money GIF

• Haha
Reactions: W1LDCAT22 and Aike
Yeah kind of what I was talking about. I don’t tend to pay much attention to him. During the coaching search he seemed to constantly want to appear to be out in front of things, but didn’t seem to really know that much.

You have to understand that the business is just that way. A friend of mine explained that to me years ago. Especially know that they have a subscription side, they have to be desperate for timely info and "breaking" news. There are still people willing to pay for premium content, but not if it's repeatedly reposted from other premium sites all of the time.

To be fair, NOBODY had any good info locally that wasn't what we threw around on this free board

Reactions: UK-chulo
I just dont see it.

I think Pope out of any other coach would make him consider. But his parents for his entire life have never forced anything on him or tried to direct him in a particular path.

It will be his decision alone not Jeff's

Thought the same. The look on Jeff's face and the things he has said in interviews makes it clear to me that Reed is making this one.

I don't believe it is unrealistic at all. With all of the talk from Pope on how much Kentucky truly means to him and all of his former teammates including Jeff, I think Reed is coming back. It's hard to see Reed go to the NBA when you hear thing like when Pope talked about the locker room talk about college when he was in the NBA, to him going on to say that wearing a UK jersey was by far his proudest moments of his career. Pope, Jeff and Reed know what this moment could mean for themselves, and to the history of UK and college basketball. The money will be waiting for Reed in the NBA.
I wouldn’t read too much into what was said today. Sheppard is a lottery pick and his stock will never be better. He’s gone as this is life changing money.

You have to understand that the business is just that way. A friend of mine explained that to me years ago. Especially know that they have a subscription side, they have to be desperate for timely info and "breaking" news. There are still people willing to pay for premium content, but not if it's repeatedly reposted from other premium sites all of the time.

To be fair, NOBODY had any good info locally that wasn't what we threw around on this free board
I get it. There’s a reason I don’t pay much attention. I tend to like more in depth analysis vs. idle gossip. Different strokes.

I kinda feel this way too but I honestly think he’s still torn. I’d put it at 80% chance he goes pro, but that’s down from about 95% a couple weeks ago

He”ll make a ton of NBA money whenever he decides to go. Delaying it one year ain’t gonna hurt. I think he stays.
Totally agree! One draft analyst stated something to the tune of thinking Reed and his family wanting to come back for another year at Kentucky, instilling his legacy, rather than going to a team like the Charlotte Hornets or Toronto Raptors. Being that UK is where the Sheppard's hearts are at, along with the hiring of lifelong friend Mark Pope and the massive NIL money that is waiting on him, it makes the most sense for Reed to stay another year. Plus, this would undoubtedly be Reed's team.

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT