ADVERTISEMENT

Time for the NBA Rupp'sRafters GM Draft once again

Im open to having say one all time player per roster? Thoughts? I just feel like the MJ pick might be over powering
I agree about the mj pick. If we have 12 teams though there’s still a lot of talent to compete. We could also include the year of the player we draft so all players are in their prime. I’m also fine with just sticking to today’s players if it’s going to complicate things. But also if we’re doing a “who has the best team next year” the Lebron pick could cause the same problem as the mj pick

Last edited:
I agree about the mj pick. If we have 12 teams though there’s still a lot of talent to compete. We could also include the year of the player we draft so all players are in their prime. I’m also fine with just sticking to today’s players if it’s going to complicate things. But also if we’re doing a “who has the best team next year” the Lebron pick could cause the sameness problem as the mj pick
The last sentence sums it up; no perfect system. Just gotta go with it

Reactions: Nkycatfan17
Ok so someone explain this to me as simple as possible. Assume my IQ is around 60.

Ok so someone explain this to me as simple as possible. Assume my IQ is around 60.
We make team through draft. One at a time. Pick who you think best or favorite player. Don’t pick duke guy. Pick uk guy. U win.
This in a nutshell. Only head to head matchup of teams and I'm trying to think of a way to remove UK bias but it seems impossible

That would be cool AF if you did that, but quite a bit of work
Depending on the teams it's actually be quite easy. Though I'd have to make teams pick the current NBA Coach they want to coach the team per matchup. The same coachcouldn't be used in the same matchup is my only limitation

Reactions: drcats2013
just my opinion, leaving out the one all time great i think makes it play more to your current basketball prowess. I think if we each have Kareem, Wilt, Jordan, Bird, Magic, Big 0, etc... then i think a lot of poster will glance your team and they say well they Bird though or they got MJ or what not and vote like that. I like the idea of picking a coach though as Brad Stevens may be a 1st round type value. There is legit conversation being had as to whether you'd rather have the next five years of Lebron or Brad Stevens be your coach for the next 5 years. Any way it's chosen to be done I know it will be fun. Just give me a tag in the draft thread when it starts if you don't mind.

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
If you do an All-Time draft you have to ban MJ and Lebron.

You can make a case for players such as Magic or Larry that they had stacked teams and well they did. So I don't mind keeping them in the draft.

I'll sit out this year and not defend my eastern conference championship(I just picked east since I lost in the final). My work/sleep schedule is so different from everyone else, I tend to hold things up during the day.

My thoughts:

1. Do the all time draft separately. The way we did it before, you could also pick current players.

2. The coaching idea was met with mixed feelings the last time we did it. I like it, but with the board as a whole voting, I think style of play, roster fit, etc isn't properly taken into account.

People just see Phil Jackson and say oh he won all these titles so whoever is on his team will win because he's the coach. I'm up for it, just throwing that out there from experience.

3. The "for the next x years" stipulation is designed to help balance out the LeBron cheat code.

4. We have to do something about the UK bias.

My thoughts:

1. Do the all time draft separately. The way we did it before, you could also pick current players.

2. The coaching idea was met with mixed feelings the last time we did it. I like it, but with the board as a whole voting, I think style of play, roster fit, etc isn't properly taken into account.

People just see Phil Jackson and say oh he won all these titles so whoever is on his team will win because he's the coach. I'm up for it, just throwing that out there from experience.

3. The "for the next x years" stipulation is designed to help balance out the LeBron cheat code.

4. We have to do something about the UK bias.
There is a UK bias but with players like AD, Cousins Wall and Kat, its justified. It's a complicated situation.

There is a UK bias but with players like AD, Cousins Wall and Kat, its justified. It's a complicated situation.

Not to the extent that they're valued though. They're great players and pieces, but a team with Wall/Towns would advance farther than a team with Harden/Jokic and I don't know what we can do about that aside from going pure simulation on 2k or banning UK guys.

Maybe a limit of one per team?

Not to the extent that they're valued though. They're great players and pieces, but a team with Wall/Towns would advance farther than a team with Harden/Jokic and I don't know what we can do about that aside from going pure simulation on 2k or banning UK guys.

Maybe a limit of one per team?
Hopefully a deep field of 16 teams also hopefully limits some teams from stockpiling UK players and I will be doing 2k simulations. The question is should I do the simulations before or after the voting.

Hopefully a deep field of 16 teams also hopefully limits some teams from stockpiling UK players and I will be doing 2k simulations. The question is should I do the simulations before or after the voting.
To me, If simulations were done, it would replace the voting. Or, one could advance based on voting, and based on simulation separately

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
2. @drcats2013
3. @usinfantrycat85
4. @kevin823
5. @Nkycatfan17
6. @kornucopia
7. @Cats192
8. @miracle7s
9. @BeeBeeIn
10. @morgousky
11. @BigBlueFanGA
12. @Pizza Slice
13. @BLEEDBLUE444
14. @UK2KJAG

Seeing as we have high demand for the 16 spots, I'm posting this just to confirm all these users have a Sincere interest in doing this draft. I've got 4 or more ppl looking to get in the last 2 spots. So if you're on this list please either like this post or quote and say a little message such as "I'm still in" and say the number of rounds you'd like to do. 10-12 rounds. I know it's redundant but it's best to get people on the board as active as possible and I'm looking to have no drop outs this year. 16 teams.

I'll post a new thread with a list of the contenders/ teams and the rules we'll be playing by. I was thinking team that would win the most championships over the 5 years compared in a head to head format. Aka pretty much the teams will play a 7 game series once a year over 5 years for the championship in each INDIVIDUAL round. Let me know what you all think on the rules as I'm open to tweeting as the past few years have been vague in definition.
Wtf u kick me out?

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I'm cool with the 2k Situation but you are forgetting there are players like Charles Barkley who refuses to let NBA2K use them in the game.

ALSO NBA2K puts players in certain ages depending on their all-time grea team. Like are you going to pick a young MJ or experienced MJ? What about Kareem, MJ or so and forth it. This can get messy

I'm cool with the 2k Situation but you are forgetting there are players like Charles Barkley who refuses to let NBA2K use them in the game.

ALSO NBA2K puts players in certain ages depending on their all-time grea team. Like are you going to pick a young MJ or experienced MJ? What about Kareem, MJ or so and forth it. This can get messy
We're not going to put alltime players in this draft

Why? Like Gonzo said, if you look at it on a next 5 years basis, Lebron is far from a lock as the first pick. Not saying I wouldn’t take him first, but he would be in like his 21st season by then.

That is a fair point and not gonna deny it. But at the end of the day we usually did a 5 year stretch and the guy looks like he still had 3 more years of elite play. That right there ends that argument.

I think we moved to 7 years last summer for that reason. It was basically the LeBron rule.

We also changed it from "team you would most want to be a fan of" to "team that will win the most titles" to help balance the Kentucky love.

I think we have to be smart about the 2k simulation for the GM draft. Because the game isn't going to be able to simulate 7 seasons worth of growth and progress and injuries and things like that without factoring in free agency, the draft, etc.

the teams won't stay as they're drafted here, so it'll skew toward older teams with veteran guys. Just a lot of variables to try and control.

2k simulation, draft on 1 year. best team wins. keep lebron out because he's too easy to build around unless you take away the 2nd round pick for whoever picks him. something like that.

I have time and would be interested if theres room. If not, ill just sabotage the voting :)

2k simulation, draft on 1 year. best team wins. keep lebron out because he's too easy to build around unless you take away the 2nd round pick for whoever picks him. something like that.

One year takes the fun away though. There's really nothing to debate and the guys picking at the end of round 1 have no chance.

In a 14-16 team league, there's no way a guy starting his team with the 16th best player is building anything that beats a team with the best player on a one year basis.

Reactions: Nkycatfan17
I think we moved to 7 years last summer for that reason. It was basically the LeBron rule.

We also changed it from "team you would most want to be a fan of" to "team that will win the most titles" to help balance the Kentucky love.

I think we have to be smart about the 2k simulation for the GM draft. Because the game isn't going to be able to simulate 7 seasons worth of growth and progress and injuries and things like that without factoring in free agency, the draft, etc.

the teams won't stay as they're drafted here, so it'll skew toward older teams with veteran guys. Just a lot of variables to try and control.
You can extend the contracts to 7 years for all players and controlling trades is easy, just turn them off. And the game actually does very well at the growth/decline of players. FRee agency wouldn't be a problem. And certainly the team at 16 could contend with the 1st. They get two picks close while the top has to wait. Say you take Kames harden first the 16th guy could very well end up with Ben Simmons and Joel embiid. While the top team is waiting for the 32nd pick.

You can extend the contracts to 7 years for all players and controlling trades is easy, just turn them off. And the game actually does very well at the growth/decline of players. FRee agency wouldn't be a problem. And certainly the team at 16 could contend with the 1st. They get two picks close while the top has to wait. Say you take Kames harden first the 16th guy could very well end up with Ben Simmons and Joel embiid. While the top team is waiting for the 32nd pick.

I like the idea of the simulation, there's just a lot to control.

If you want to handle all that, and maybe just create a draft class of guys all rated like 50 overall and use it every year, that would work.

Leave injuries on and have the CPU handle all roster management. Retiring coaches might be an issue but that's the risk of drafting an older one I suppose.

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
One year takes the fun away though. There's really nothing to debate and the guys picking at the end of round 1 have no chance.

In a 14-16 team league, there's no way a guy starting his team with the 16th best player is building anything that beats a team with the best player on a one year basis.

Still a lot of debate to be had and takes the guessing game out of it. I was in a pretty awesome league that players were allotted $ values and you got to trade and build teams.. pretty fun.

Another thought:

If we're running a 2k simulation we have to find a way to balance the conferences and eliminate all the other teams.

Another thought:

If we're running a 2k simulation we have to find a way to balance the conferences and eliminate all the other teams.
You can customize leagues and even delete teams. 2k is way ahead of you lol

You can customize leagues and even delete teams. 2k is way ahead of you lol

I play a lot of 2k but never mess with customizing the leagues.

I know you can change rules and all that in MyGM, but I guess I'm asking how we're going to assign teams and matchups.

Are we just giving drafters the team of the coach they select? What if the top 3 drafters all take coaches from one conference? we can't just randomize matchups because the simulation will tell us W/L record and championships over a multiple season stretch.

I play a lot of 2k but never mess with customizing the leagues.

I know you can change rules and all that in MyGM, but I guess I'm asking how we're going to assign teams and matchups.

Are we just giving drafters the team of the coach they select? What if the top 3 drafters all take coaches from one conference? we can't just randomize matchups because the simulation will tell us W/L record and championships over a multiple season stretch.
Have each person draft an organization. Comes with coach GM etc. run the season through. Save the rosters. Upload it to the playoff setting(an option in franchise mode) set the playoffs. Run through the series. Go back to the original season simulate through another time upload rosters to playoff mode again. It's a little time consuming but I'd be able to do it with ease. I'll look more into it tonight.

Have each person draft an organization. Comes with coach GM etc. run the season through. Save the rosters. Upload it to the playoff setting(an option in franchise mode) set the playoffs. Run through the series. Go back to the original season simulate through another time upload rosters to playoff mode again. It's a little time consuming but I'd be able to do it with ease. I'll look more into it tonight.

I think it'd be better to do a full 82 game season with only our teams and then let it play out in the playoffs as well.

If we turn it only playoffs only, that heavily skews towards teams with injury prone guys. They don't have to hold up as long. Your bench and depth isn't as important.

We're also going to need to set the coach's bench depth to the same thing or the last 2-3 guys won't play on several teams.

Edit: we also need the full season and for this to continue on instead of just re-running the same thing or else there won't be proper player progression for teams that draft young guys.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT