ADVERTISEMENT

Rupp Rafters All-Time MLB Draft - Completed

No reason other than being lost to history on why this player was not selected among the first 10 pitchers.

#4 all-time in WAR (116) - He finished his career with a record of 362-205 and a 2.96 ERA. His 532 complete games rank fourth on the all-time list

He won 20-or-more games every year for his first 10 seasons

3 straight seasons of 30+ wins (INSANE)

There are many out there that put him right behind Cy Young and even better than Christy Mathewson

Kid Nichols to round out my Pitching Staff

@Cowtown Cat OTC

Last edited:
No reason other than being lost to history on why this player was not selected among the first 10 pitchers.

#4 all-time in WAR (116) - He finished his career with a record of 362-205 and a 2.96 ERA. His 532 complete games rank fourth on the all-time list

He won 20-or-more games every year for his first 10 seasons

3 straight seasons of 30+ wins (INSANE)

There are many out there that put him right behind Cy Young and even better than Christy Mathewson

Kid Nichols to round out my Pitching Staff

@Cowtown Cat OTC
That and the dead ball era.

Reactions: DraftCat
I count 5 more hitters, and 13 more pitchers to be picked.

Other than missing the ultra elite players (like Ruth, Mays, ect.) you could make a competitive team from the "leftovers".

Reactions: drcats2013
I count 5 more hitters, and 13 more pitchers to be picked.

Other than missing the ultra elite players (like Ruth, Mays, ect.) you could make a competitive team from the "leftovers".

I'm sure you could make a competitive team with more than that if you wanted to draft players that had super short peaks 1-3 years.

Reactions: drcats2013
I'm sure you could make a competitive team with more than that if you wanted to draft players that had super short peaks 1-3 years.
True. But there are Hall of Fame'rs (& not just veteran's committee ones) still on the board. So don't have to dig that deep. But yeah, some of the top guys remaining had maybe 6-8 year peaks, shortened due to injury or WWII (especially if lost 2-3 years to war during his prime).
1-3 years is too short, makes me think of Brady Anderson hitting 50 HRs one year, he never even hit half that many any other season. Or one of my favorites of all time, Jim Rice who had a good career, but mainly blew up 77-79.

Give me the splitter and Bruce Sutter who had 300 career saves while also winning the Cy Young-
@JHannibalSmith otc

That will finish out my staff of

SP's- Koufax, Mathewson, Grove and Spahn
Closer- Sutter

Last edited:
Reactions: DraftCat
True. But there are Hall of Fame'rs (& not just veteran's committee ones) still on the board. So don't have to dig that deep. But yeah, some of the top guys remaining had maybe 6-8 year peaks, shortened due to injury or WWII (especially if lost 2-3 years to war during his prime).
1-3 years is too short, makes me think of Brady Anderson hitting 50 HRs one year, he never even hit half that many any other season. Or one of my favorites of all time, Jim Rice who had a good career, but mainly blew up 77-79.

That's the beautiful thing about baseball it's full of random outlier performances. Next year pitchers adjust and the player is never the same.

Scooter Gennett for the Reds is one I think about. He hit 27 and 23 HR's with a .300 average due to GABP and the new baseball MLB rolled out that year. He lasted 1 more year in the majors and was out at the age of 29

Idc if nobody will know my position players, I’ll take a 2 time MVP, who lost nearly 5 full prime seasons to WW2 & still made the HOF with elite numbers, the Hebrew Hammer, Hank Greenberg. He gives me 4 of the top 10 all time leaders in OPS. Sorry for the delay, had a super busy morning. @BigBlueFanGA OTC.

Reactions: JonathanW
Sorry, I didn't get a notification. I'll take Fergie Jenkins. Not only was he a brilliant pitcher (he suffered on horrible teams which held his stats down) but I have a personal connection to him. @drcats2013 OTC.

1. Rickey Henderson (R)
2. Roberto Alomar (S)
3. Frank Robinson (R)
4. Eddie Murray (S)
5. Mike Schmidt (R)
6. Duke Snider (R)
7. Ted Simmons (S)
8. Omar Vizquel (S)

Rotation
1. John Smoltz
2. Orel Hershiser
3. Grover Alexander
4. Dave Stewart

Relief
Dennis Eckersley

Ted Simmons and with my final pick.. since i chose my favorite player first, I'm gonna finish with my favorite pitcher...not a great but a certified Dawg...Dave Stewart.
@Dontworryboutit23 otc
Rickey was my favorite player, too, going back to when I was 8 in 1981. I usually don’t like the hot dogs, but, I made an exception for Rickey. Nobody could disrupt or take over a game in more ways than him. He could dominate games without ever getting a hit, lol. He’s the reason I always wore #24 in sports, too.

Reactions: dvillecatfan
@Cowtown Cat OTC

As he already has a closer I'm in no danger of picking a player he may go with. As I'm getting off for the night I'm going to go ahead and make my pick.

I'll go with Jonathan Papelbon - 362 saves and a career 2.44 ERA

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT