ADVERTISEMENT

The NIT is a real possibility

[QUOTE="CincyUKFan, post: 6539502, member: 66633"]And then the committee throws us in Duke’s bracket for a beat down. Another black eye...[/QUOTE]

Can you stop being a pussy for 1 day?

Boston College and NC State beat Duke they are not invincible, you go hide under your bed when we play them, I'll watch the boys and see if they are as scared as you.

So we are just now getting our whole team back from flu and injury right? So I wonder will Vanderbilt a difference maker just isn't going to get better and get into shape right? We are ignoring the similar teams that went thru this like 2014 and last season and going to assume that the youngest team Cal has had perhaps the youngest team in history isn't going to improve at all. Omg you guys are kidding right. Of all of Cals teams this team is by far the one with the most potential for improvement. The NIT? The SEC is stronger than it's been in years and you think we go to the NIT? Lmao! Look we aren't great but who is? All I know is losing to an experienced Florida team by 2 points in Jan and thinking it's the end of the world is nuts. Gonna lose at home to UT? U know the same UT team that we owned the entire first half on their home court? Lol! We are young and can't put whole games together. We usually start doing that about end of Feb. I could understand some fans not knowing this but it's every single season. Do you really think some fools didn't come on here last Jan after we lost at Home to Kansas and claim we just didn't have it and I bet someone even predicted the NIT then too. We were one bad official from winning a title last season at the minimum a final four. This tho this is the year that we buck the improvement trend and are just bad right? Lol

So we are just now getting our whole team back from flu and injury right? So I wonder will Vanderbilt a difference maker just isn't going to get better and get into shape right? We are ignoring the similar teams that went thru this like 2014 and last season and going to assume that the youngest team Cal has had perhaps the youngest team in history isn't going to improve at all. Omg you guys are kidding right. Of all of Cals teams this team is by far the one with the most potential for improvement. The NIT? The SEC is stronger than it's been in years and you think we go to the NIT? Lmao! Look we aren't great but who is? All I know is losing to an experienced Florida team by 2 points in Jan and thinking it's the end of the world is nuts. Gonna lose at home to UT? U know the same UT team that we owned the entire first half on their home court? Lol! We are young and can't put whole games together. We usually start doing that about end of Feb. I could understand some fans not knowing this but it's every single season. Do you really think some fools didn't come on here last Jan after we lost at Home to Kansas and claim we just didn't have it and I bet someone even predicted the NIT then too. We were one bad official from winning a title last season at the minimum a final four. This tho this is the year that we buck the improvement trend and are just bad right? Lol

stupidpeople.jpg

Lol. Funny I said the same thing a few days ago and people jumped all over me with one poster wanting to bet me if they did he would never post again and if the make the tournament I couldn’t post. My thread was even deleted.

They could possibly turn it around but from all indications this team doesn’t mesh or have the pieces to do much more than they are doing. If they make the tournament it’s going to be by the skin of their teeth.

I think that's the problem. The "talent" on this team is VASTLY overrated and overstated. In a couple of years this team would be really skilled and dangerous. Right now they just are not there skill-wise. No true PG, no elite shooter and/or scorer, no one who can consistently get a basket on the interior.
All of this is true but it’s also the biggest problem. There will be no “this team in a couple years.”

I think we would all have a lot more patience with the players and Cal if we knew they’d be here for more than a year but they won’t. Therefore if they don’t hit their max potential in year 1 they’re a failure.

Thing is the main problem isn't a lack of superstar player.

It's just holding onto the freaking ball.

This team overall for the season has shot similar to previous Cal's teams, rebounds similar to Cal's teams, gets to the line.

If they ever kept hold of the ball, their offense wouldn't be that bad at all.

I think defensively, since the return of JV we are getting better. UF didn't shoot it well and neither did South Carolina.

I understand Cal has had teams struggle and then come together and make runs. BUT, the biggest difference is this team does not have a Julius Randle that when we have to get a bucket in crunch time, he can take over and get it. It also does not have a Aaron Harrison that IF the game is on the line, you are confident you can give him the ball and he will make the shot. This team has talent, but they are just not a cohesive unit and at times, most notably in adversity, they wilt. What i saw against Florida was a team that did not do the extra intangibles to pull out a tough win. They played hard, and where engaged to play defense, they just did not play together and make winning basketball plays.

In some regards that run in 14 was a bit lucky. It could have ended a lot sooner than it did. Harrison just came up enormous. Three times lol

Reactions: KYExtemper
It's entirely possible we finish 6-6 over our final 12 games. That would put us at 20-11, which should still get us in. We have a strong schedule this year (currently #11 per RPI) and no bad losses. We're currently 2-4 in Tier-1 games (formerly top 50, now varies home/neutral/away) and 4-1 in Tier-2 games (formerly 51-100).

We have 9 Tier-1 games remaining. If we win the 3 home games against weaker teams and go 3-6 in the others, we'd have a resume of 5-10 Tier 1, 5-1 Tier 2, 10-0 Tier 3 and 4. That resume gets us in the tournament. I'm not saying NIT is impossible, but we'd have to have a very, very bad rest of the season for that to happen.

It’s hard to say since we don’t know where other teams will end up.

20-11 is very likely. Does that get us in? No clue.

This is a not a gloom and doom thread. And this is not what I hope will happen. But it’s time to acknowledge that it is possible and to brace ourselves.

Current record: 14-5

Probable losses: @WVU, @MIZZOU, TENN, @A&M, @AUB, @UF

That would put us at 11 losses, and I really do think those teams will be favored.

Add another loss in the SEC tournament and we’re sitting at 12.

With very few quality wins and 12 losses, we could very well be out of the tournament. Lose all of these games, and lose @ARK, and it’s all but certain.
Archie Goodwin 2.0

On this schedule, 20-11 with at least one SEC tournament win (21-12) gets us in. Last year, the last 4 in had 10, 13, 14, and 14 losses with SOSs of 61, 50, 34, and 24. 12 losses, none bad, and a top-25 SOS and we're in the tournament.

Defense is not the problem with this team. We’re not a great defensive team but we’ve got the 28th ranked defense according to Kenpom and have played a pretty decent schedule. You saw it in the Florida game our defense bothered them all night.

Our offense is absolutely anemic right now though. The turnovers and lack of three point shooting is killing us. When we can’t hit a three and then force the ball inside, teams just double us up and we’ve got no one that can reliably pass out of a double team. Luckily offense is generally easier to patch up than defense is. You can’t teach our size and athleticism.

I’m at the point where I’m just going to take this game by game. With QG and JV back it’s like a whole new team so I’m going in with a clean slate. New season starts tomorrow for me I just hope we can salvage a decent seed come March.

Yeah 12 losses without any good wins will put us in the NIT and cal on the hot seat. I'd give him next year to see how we do and if it isn't any better then the cal era should be over.
you know nothing about basketball when you say to get rid of Cal are you freaking nuts look at his record since he is been here. We are lucky to have him caching at Uk.

This team will make the tournament. No NIT...Right now Joey Brackets has UK a 5 seed..This team reminds me of the 14 team in so many ways and we know what happened that year..Yes they're struggling right now but they just need to fix their freshmen mistakes..GO CATS..

Will the people that bashed those of us who know we may be NIT bound please tell us how you feel now?

Even if the Cats pull this out - they are bad. And if you can’t see that, then you, not we, are the irrational ones.

In some regards that run in 14 was a bit lucky. It could have ended a lot sooner than it did. Harrison just came up enormous. Three times lol

People forget that Louisville basically had us dead to rights in the Sweet Sixteen. I think if they had beaten us, they would've won the whole thing. They destroyed UConn that year.

After tonight: 15-6

Five more road games and we could potentially lose every one. Only 3 home games that we can be very confident of winning. It’s going to get interesting.

Yeah 12 losses without any good wins will put us in the NIT and cal on the hot seat. I'd give him next year to see how we do and if it isn't any better then the cal era should be over.

It’s depressing. To look at the schedule and realize that we are going to lose more games the rest of the way than we are going to win.

Not nearly enough physicality, toughness, or basketball IQ though. And much of the talent was overrated coming out of high school.

LMAO . The NIT was never at any point a possibilty this season . We could of lost by 25 and we still would of been a 5-7 seed this season . Most of our toughest games are behind us . @ UF and @ Au are the real tests left. I think at worst we split those . Auburn will win the SEC and we will be 2nd place but I bet we win the SECT. Enter the tourney as a 3 seed.

In 2015 we have Karl towns walk. In 2016 you have Jamal the black hole Murray, and in 2018 you have this masterpiece. Please keep this thread alive throughout the season. The first page tells the story with the posts and likes lol

Btt

Reactions: WildcatDJ
Please tell me this post is sarcasm or a joke.

Reactions: CatsRox
I’m already expecting an NIT invite, I just don’t see this team getting more than 20 regular season wins. That would get them a one seed though and help extend the season. Hopefully a lot of these guys comeback, but idk anymore.
They wear this mentality like a badge of honor. Fellowship of the Miserable.

Count me among the people who thought the NIT was a possibility. That conversation is over. We’re a tournament team now. In fairness, I didn’t talk to any UK fans who thought we would win this game. But we did. It’s game on now!

Reactions: morgousky
I thought the NIT was laughable two weeks ago and before. I though the nit was possible for the first time tonight around halftime.

After tonight: 15-6

Five more road games and we could potentially lose every one. Only 3 home games that we can be very confident of winning. It’s going to get interesting.
Go Cheer for the bearcats, of course theyre usually never as good as UK tho so you'd probably have already ended by now. However They are 9 right now, but i bet we finish deeper in the tourney than they do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT