ADVERTISEMENT

The NIT is a real possibility

CincyUKFan

Senior
Dec 1, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
This is a not a gloom and doom thread. And this is not what I hope will happen. But it’s time to acknowledge that it is possible and to brace ourselves.

Current record: 14-5

Probable losses: @WVU, @MIZZOU, TENN, @A&M, @AUB, @UF

That would put us at 11 losses, and I really do think those teams will be favored.

Add another loss in the SEC tournament and we’re sitting at 12.

With very few quality wins and 12 losses, we could very well be out of the tournament. Lose all of these games, and lose @ARK, and it’s all but certain.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
This is a not a gloom and doom thread. And this is not what I hope will happen. But it’s time to acknowledge that it is possible and to brace ourselves.

That would put us at 11 losses, and I really do think those teams will be favored.

With very few quality wins and 12 losses, we could very well be out of the tournament. Lose all of these games, and lose @ARK, and it’s all but certain.
Yeah 12 losses without any good wins will put us in the NIT and cal on the hot seat. I'd give him next year to see how we do and if it isn't any better then the cal era should be over.

Reactions: new era cat
Yeah 12 losses without any good wins will put us in the NIT and cal on the hot seat. I'd give him next year to see how we do and if it isn't any better then the cal era should be over.
I’m very excited about Herro and Johnson. They are legit. But even if our whole front court returns, we will have the same issues that we have now. I believe next year the offense will be easier to watch, but we will struggle again defensively.

Reactions: AzubuikeandFitch

This is worst scenario but possible. Hopefully we can hold serve at home and steal one or two in the road....stay above 500 in the conference. BUT——NCAA hates UK and would love to leave us out

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey
This is worst scenario but possible. Hopefully we can hold serve at home and steal one or two in the road....stay above 500 in the conference. BUT——NCAA hates UK and would love to leave us out
Unfortunately, playing at home this season doesn’t help. And this scenario doesn’t account for losing games that we shouldn’t (i.e. another South Carolina).

Hopefully we will be peaking March 7-11 and win the SEC tourney. Playing neutral in St. Louis may be our biggest beneficiary.

Reactions: IrishMike409

Did you hear? “The sky is falling”

Reactions: JC CATS
Did you hear? “The sky is falling”
I guess you skipped the first line.

And are also living in that world where facts and reality don’t really matter. This isn’t a pessimistic thread where I’m freaking out over what could be. This is a rational, reality-based thread where I simply want to encourage, especially people like you, to be prepared for what will likely happen.

I’m already expecting an NIT invite, I just don’t see this team getting more than 20 regular season wins. That would get them a one seed though and help extend the season. Hopefully a lot of these guys comeback, but idk anymore.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
I don’t think they lose @Mizzou or at home to Tennessee. I think they maybe can sneak by with one win either @ Auburn, @A&M or @ Auburn. 23-8 regular season. Win a couple in SEC tourney. 25-9 heading into tourney with a 5 or 6 seed. That is my prediction

I don’t think they lose @Mizzou or at home to Tennessee. I think they maybe can sneak by with one win either @ Auburn, @A&M or @ Auburn. 23-8 regular season. Win a couple in SEC tourney. 25-9 heading into tourney with a 5 or 6 seed. That is my prediction
Well, Missouri will be favored. They beat Tennessee and Georgia at home. They beat SC on the road.

And we could just as well lose at Arkansas.

As far as Tennessee, they’re solid and we have no home court advantage this season.

Get Off Cals's Ass !!!! NOBODY better for the job !!! Be a REAL fan and back your team !! Fair Weather fans make me sick !!!
Fair weather fans don't care about their team when they are losing. We just have a bunch of fans who have gotten a bit spoiled to extreme success, myself included. I think Cal can turn it around, but I think fans do have every right to be frustrated with the play so far this year.

I guess you skipped the first line.

And are also living in that world where facts and reality don’t really matter. This isn’t a pessimistic thread where I’m freaking out over what could be. This is a rational, reality-based thread where I simply want to encourage, especially people like you, to be prepared for what will likely happen.
Don’t waste your time with that idiot. He’s 19 years old and living in his mom’s basement.

I’ve thought about this scenario for the last couple of weeks. I’m not sure we’ll be favored in a road game the rest of the season. If we don’t win out at home, we will be a bubble team for sure. I just don’t think our post play is as good as most teams in our conference. Maybe that changes once Vanderbilt starts playing 30 minutes a game.

Well, Missouri will be favored. They beat Tennessee and Georgia at home. They beat SC on the road.

And we could just as well lose at Arkansas.

As far as Tennessee, they’re solid and we have no home court advantage this season.
Missouri won’t be favored, but I agree that Arkansas could be a loss and Bama won’t be easy at home now that I think about it. Maybe I was being overly optimistic. Ha

Moving forward, I think there is a better chance this team wins a couple games it is an underdog than lose ones that it is favored.
I know that sounds odd coming off the last two games, but I still see this as a team better than most in the conference.

Don’t waste your time with that idiot. He’s 19 years old and living in his mom’s basement.

I’ve thought about this scenario for the last couple of weeks. I’m not sure we’ll be favored in a road game the rest of the season. If we don’t win out at home, we will be a bubble team for sure. I just don’t think our post play is as good as most teams in our conference. Maybe that changes once Vanderbilt starts playing 30 minutes a game.
I hope he does play those kinds of minutes. I think he has a positive plus/minus in both games. Can’t imagine how much better we can be if Cal let’s him get that much run.

Missouri won’t be favored, but I agree that Arkansas could be a loss and Bama won’t be easy at home now that I think about it. Maybe I was being overly optimistic. Ha
It’s depressing. To look at the schedule and realize that we are going to lose more games the rest of the way than we are going to win.

Not nearly enough physicality, toughness, or basketball IQ though. And much of the talent was overrated coming out of high school.
Some of that can be coached and fixed. Definitely agree with the lack of IQ. I’m still looking for the team cohesiveness.
I think physicality and toughness will get there.

There is way too much talent to not eventually clique.
I think that's the problem. The "talent" on this team is VASTLY overrated and overstated. In a couple of years this team would be really skilled and dangerous. Right now they just are not there skill-wise. No true PG, no elite shooter and/or scorer, no one who can consistently get a basket on the interior.

I think that's the problem. The "talent" on this team is VASTLY overrated and overstated. In a couple of years this team would be really skilled and dangerous. Right now they just are not there skill-wise. No true PG, no elite shooter and/or scorer, no one who can consistently get a basket on the interior.
Yup, Gabriel and SKJ both rated too high, along with Diallo and Richards. Green is also no Tyler Ulis.

I’m shocked the OP isn’t getting ripped more, but I’m guessing reality could be setting in for many of us fans.

He’s right: the NIT could be a possibility. I hope people are right about improvement, but I just don’t see this team making these huge strides in the next month. Hope I’m wrong...

Your delusions of persecution are laughable. The NCAA makes tons of money off of UK and its fan base.

I’m shocked the OP isn’t getting ripped more, but I’m guessing reality could be setting in for many of us fans.

He’s right: the NIT could be a possibility. I hope people are right about improvement, but I just don’t see this team making these huge strides in the next month. Hope I’m wrong...
I hope you’re wrong too. And that Cal has a plan. But with this group, I’m thinking there is only so much he can do.

I agree that we’re not overly talented. There’s probably 5 teams in our conference with as much talent.

ADVERTISEMENT