ADVERTISEMENT

The NIT is a real possibility

Current Record: 17-7

Remaining games, with predictions:

@TAMU (LOSS)
@AUB (LOSS)
BAMA (WIN)
@ARK (LOSS)
MIZZ (WIN - will Michael Porter play? they already beat us at their place - could lose)
MISS (WIN)
@FLA (LOSS)

The above is most likely to happen, but we could potentially lose to BAMA and MIZZ at home. If we do take care of those games, our projected record is:

20-11.

We will have lost 6 of our final 10 regular season games. Then, we will lose another in the SECT. If we lose in the early rounds, finishing 20-12 or 21-12, I'd say it is likely we wind up in the NIT. The same goes for a loss at home to BAMA or MIZZ.

We'll be favored in the home games and dogs in the other ones. Going 3-4 is realistic.

But where I think you are off is when u say 21-12 (lets be honest we'll be favored in at least one SEC game in the tournament), won't get us in. I totally disagree with that assessment. 21-12 will get us in IMO

I understand how a lot of things work, including elementary tourney seeding. Thanks

You’re assuming this team wins out from here .... pencil in more losses including bad ones going forward because this group doesn’t care to figure anything out. Lose 2 or 3 of the next four and then what? It won’t be a freaking 5 or 6 seed. Ridiculous. Just blind
The pumpers don't like it when you use logic and reason. Be careful.

I understand how a lot of things work, including elementary tourney seeding. Thanks

You’re assuming this team wins out from here .... pencil in more losses including bad ones going forward because this group doesn’t care to figure anything out. Lose 2 or 3 of the next four and then what? It won’t be a freaking 5 or 6 seed. Ridiculous. Just blind
Once again I said as of today they are a 6 seed. Read before responding next time.

The fact of the matter is those roads games we'll be dogs by less points (except for the Auburn one) than we are favorites in the home games.

It's more likely we pick up a road victory than blow one at home IOW.

We'll be favored in the home games and dogs in the other ones. Going 3-4 is realistic.

But where I think you are off is when u say 21-12 (lets be honest we'll be favored in at least one SEC game in the tournament), won't get us in. I totally disagree with that assessment. 21-12 will get us in IMO
It remains to be seen. People keep talking about Quadrant 1 wins and losses, and I get all that. But how you finish is huge year in and year out. And we're at our worst down the homestretch.

And those quality wins and losses look less and less impressive every day. We really have three non-conference wins of note: WVU, UL, VT. The losses are starting to pile up for them. Meanwhile, UCLA will lose 10 or 11, SCJr will lose 14 or 15, MIZZ will finish with at least 10 losses. So losing to those teams does not look so good.

As I said, lose all the road games and lose one at home, then we're in big trouble.

Reactions: kartmd
It remains to be seen. People keep talking about Quadrant 1 wins and losses, and I get all that. But how you finish is huge year in and year out. And we're at our worst down the homestretch.

And those quality wins and losses look less and less impressive every day. We really have three non-conference wins of note: WVU, UL, VT. The losses are starting to pile up for them. Meanwhile, UCLA will lose 10 or 11, SCJr will lose 14 or 15, MIZZ will finish with at least 10 losses. So losing to those teams does not look so good.

As I said, lose all the road games and lose one at home, then we're in big trouble.

From what I've seen last 10 games never really had a major impact. They really just care about who you beat.

The thing is if you start looking at teams around that 10/11 seed line.....UK has them beat. That could change obviously we still have many games to go but I don't see a 21-12 UK team not making it.

Look Dude, even by your silly standards, you’re way too negative. I’ve defended you to some degree, but quit with this stuff.
Our defense is crazy good now. The offense has to get better. We’ll beat Auburn, and everything will be fine.

Reactions: flacat22
From what I've seen last 10 games never really had a major impact. They really just care about who you beat.

The thing is if you start looking at teams around that 10/11 seed line.....UK has them beat. That could change obviously we still have many games to go but I don't see a 21-12 UK team not making it.
This leads us to another question. If we do manage to limp into the tournament, is that's cause for celebration? If you make the tourney as a 9,10, or 11 seed, is this something to hang your hat on?

Because if we do make the tournament, there will be no run to follow. We will lose either the first or second game.

Another thing........computer metrics are supposed to play a bigger role this season.

We are 29th in Kenpom and 18th in Sagarin.

By any respectable metric, although this team drives us nuts.........we should be in the tournament.

This leads us to another question. If we do manage to limp into the tournament, is that's cause for celebration? If you make the tourney as a 9,10, or 11 seed, is this something to hang your hat on?

Because if we do make the tournament, there will be no run to follow. We will lose either the first or second game.

I guess you could point to 2014 where we were an 8 seed and made it to the final four.

Do I think this team could make a 2014 type run? No. Not right now.

But when that team lost at South Carolina in 2014.......I thought the same thing.

It's February 6th. It's getting late. But I guess I'm still hopeful they figure this thing out before March and before they are NIT bound.

“Us?” “We?” Okkk...

Look Dude, even by your silly standards, you’re way too negative. I’ve defended you to some degree, but quit with this stuff.
Our defense is crazy good now. The offense has to get better. We’ll beat Auburn, and everything will be fine.
I appreciate the defense. But there's a vast difference between being negative and being realistic. At times, I'm quite negative. But in this thread, I'm being quite realistic.

Others said we'd win at MIZZ and at home to UT. I said we wouldn't. I was realistic, they were not. Now, in saying we're going to somehow beat Auburn on the road, you are being unrealistic.

Look, I hope that happens. That would secure a spot in the tourney. But that's just a ludicrous thing to actually believe. Auburn will not only win, they likely win by double digits.

I guess you could point to 2014 where we were an 8 seed and made it to the final four.

Do I think this team could make a 2014 type run? No. Not right now.

But when that team lost at South Carolina in 2014.......I thought the same thing.

It's February 6th. It's getting late. But I guess I'm still hopeful they figure this thing out before March and before they are NIT bound.
This team just doesn't have the horses or IQ that the 2014 team had. This team is a lay down, move on, pack your bags, get ready for the NBA workouts kind of team.

This team does not have what it takes to make a miracle run. You can see it in their eyes and body language. They look like a deer in headlights that can't believe they aren't heading straight to the NBA.

Reactions: CincyUKFan
I don't disagree with that.

Tho I'm not sure we have to be 2014 level to make a run.

Just the right matchups.
It's hard to get the right matchups when you're seeded that poorly. We always seem to be in the bracket that never falls apart. It would be nice, for a change, to have a bracket where the top seeds collapse.

You say “We’ll beat Auburn”. I’m not being a jerk. I assure you I hope like hell we beat them after reading posts from their ignorant obnoxious fans but they figure to absolutely whip our ass. They’re better than us, they’re at home, and they’ll be focused and fired up. Half of our guys are sleepwalking and flat out don’t care if they win or lose.

You say “We’ll beat Auburn”. I’m not being a jerk. I assure you I hope like hell we beat them after reading posts from their ignorant obnoxious fans but they figure to absolutely whip our ass. They’re better than us, they’re at home, and they’ll be focused and fired up. Half of our guys are sleepwalking and flat out don’t care if they win or lose.
I think kev69 decided to troll as the world's biggest pumper tonight and I'm not sure why. He seems like one of the more reasonable posters on RR.

Perhaps this is a coping mechanism. The way he's dealing with what went down tonight. I might try it myself. Here goes:

I have every reason to believe we will not only reach the final four this year, but we will do so while having an average margin of victory of 15 points.

But let's keep hearing about the 4 Final Fours. Cal has turned into ten loss Tubby. This will make the 5th team in 9 years to approach double digit losses (2016 lost 9).

I wish Cal would get back to the way he was at Memphis. Those teams were fun. They had one or two OAD and the rest were really good 3-4 year players.

Reactions: Farsight
But let's keep hearing about the 4 Final Fours. Cal has turned into ten loss Tubby. This will make the 5th team in 9 years to approach double digit losses (2016 lost 9).

I wish Cal would get back to the way he was at Memphis. Those teams were fun. They had one or two OAD and the rest were really good 3-4 year players.

I “wish”you would become a UK fan or simply post on opposing team’s board. What office do you hold in the Fellowship of the Miserable?

Reactions: Mr_GG and Blue wood
Just like how winning is contagious, so is losing. When a defeatist attitude starts sweeping through, you better watch out. It's a bad sign when you're beat before you ever walk out on the court.

Cal’s Memphis teams were “hungry”. They played like they had something to prove.

If these guys stick around a few years, we might see that. Right now, though, they are missing some pieces and still have lots to learn about the game.

Reactions: Farsight
ADVERTISEMENT