ADVERTISEMENT

Top 25

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
So if you look at the resume's of the top 25. They look mostly the same after UConn, Houston and Purdue. And even those 3 have blemishes.
To the point you could randomly order 4-25 and justify those rankings as good as the current rankings can be.

#4 Arizona only has 2 "good wins" (at Duke, and Alabama), and has 2-3 not-ok losses (at Stanford, at Ore St, FAU) and a loss at home to Wash St
#8 Duke has only 1 "good win" (Baylor), with 3 not-ok losses (at Ark, at GaT, Pitt at home)
#12 Illinois has 0 "good wins". Zero!!! and 4 not-ok losses (Maryland, at N-western, at Mich St, at Penn St)
#16 Dayton also has 0 "good wins". with 4 not-ok losses (At N-western, at Richmond, at VCU, at George Mason)

While #17 UK has 3 "good wins" (UNC, at Florida, at Auburn), and 4 not-ok losses (UNCW, at TAMU, Gonzaga, at LSU), and 3 of those 4 are vs borderline tournament teams.
I defined "good wins" as wins vs top 25, or away at teams just outside top 25.

I'm not saying we are improperly ranked. What I am saying is that a string of 2-3-4 wins (or losses) by any team in top 25 could cause a huge swing (from 25th up to top 10, or from top 10 to unranked).
When this NCAA-T starts, other than mid-majors who play very few good teams, I don't expect more than those top 3 and maybe 1-2 more to have less than 7 losses, maybe less than 8. Yes, I could see a 1-seed with 8 losses.
In the top 25, the only teams that have not lost 1 of last 2 games are: Houston, UT, Duke, Alabama, Creighton, St. Marys, & Wash St.

I actually still love the team and feel it’s more likely we make a deep run than get bounced early. But only if Cal plays the best players the most minutes. It’s a weird mix of confidence and dread

Reactions: sambowieshin
I actually still love the team and feel it’s more likely we make a deep run than get bounced early. But only if Cal plays the best players the most minutes. It’s a weird mix of confidence and dread
What is leading you to believe they make a deep run?

What is leading you to believe they make a deep run?
Because we have three elite offensive guards in Reed, Reeves, and Dilly. Adou, Mitchell, Ugo are serviceable enough to compliment those 3. We just need Cal to stick with those 6 and only deviate for short spells or foul trouble and I’m pretty confident we can hang with anyone.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Duke has greatly benefitted from playing in a crappy conference. They have played 4 teams that were ranked at the time of their game and one of those was Mich St that sucks. They will be out early.

Because we have three elite offensive guards in Reed, Reeves, and Dilly. Adou, Mitchell, Ugo are serviceable enough to compliment those 3. We just need Cal to stick with those 6 and only deviate for short spells or foul trouble and I’m pretty confident we can hang with anyone.
Kentucky can’t rebound, can’t guard anybody, and doesn’t run anything consistently to get scorers shots. Calipari is also gonna play Wagner & Edwards, they are getting mins. This team cannot get stops when they need them, against florida, A&M,
LSU, Gonzaga, and all the other games, Kentucky needed stops and never gets them. Kentucky is most likely a round of 32 team because of all the problems

I'm just SICK of having to compare our CRAPPY record against other schools when this time of year rolls around!!!

UK Basketball is supposed to be ABOVE worrying about what everybody else has done and won enough games to position ourselves in the best way possible to make a Final 4!!

Until we win 4 games in a row, I don't see ANY reason to complain about where we are ranked. It is time for Cal to PROVE IT by stringing some wins together. If UK wants to make it, rattle off 5 in a row to end the season!!!!

Kentucky can’t rebound, can’t guard anybody, and doesn’t run anything consistently to get scorers shots. Calipari is also gonna play Wagner & Edwards, they are getting mins. This team cannot get stops when they need them, against florida, A&M,
LSU, Gonzaga, and all the other games, Kentucky needed stops and never gets them. Kentucky is most likely a round of 32 team because of all the problems
What makes all of those losses even worse is the fact that REBOUNDING and keeping the opponent off of their offensive glass is the EASIEST thing to do in the game of basketball!!!! And we have lost 6 of our 8 because we DIDN'T put a body on an opposing player enough during the game!!!

With our size and athleticism, there is NO EXCUSE for giving up enough offensive rebounds to BEAT YOU!!!!

Thanks Cal!!! What does all of those Assistant Coaches he has on the bench do in practice??!!!! You would think at least ONE of them could fix that. Heck, my Middle School coach could teach them how to block out and stay with their man!!!!

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
I'm just SICK of having to compare our CRAPPY record against other schools when this time of year rolls around!!!

UK Basketball is supposed to be ABOVE worrying about what everybody else has done and won enough games to position ourselves in the best way possible to make a Final 4!!

Until we win 4 games in a row, I don't see ANY reason to complain about where we are ranked. It is time for Cal to PROVE IT by stringing some wins together. If UK wants to make it, rattle off 5 in a row to end the season!!!!
This time of year we should be worried about seeding, now they have to worry about making the tournament. If they win the 2 crap games they will be in, but Arkansas isn’t a guarantee anymore, vandy always plays out their ass in rupp. Bama is a loss in rupp, I have never been less confident in Kentucky winning a home game then I am tomorrow. Miss st is gonna be a war, and Tennessee is a loss

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: fospear and catben
What would posting be like if your keyboard gave you a little shock for every time you relied on someone else's words for a post. You had to have seen what you assert or the keyboard would make you spit out your gum like that kid at the beginning of Ghostbusters.

What is giving you confidence for tomorrow?
I mean I get you’re down on the team but to act like there’s no possible way they beat bama is just ridiculous. You probably didn’t think they would beat auburn either. This team is capable of winning or losing against anyone. And no I’m not defending cal

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
What would posting be like if your keyboard gave you a little shock for every time you relied on someone else's words for a post. You had to have seen what you assert or the keyboard would make you spit out your gum like that kid at the beginning of Ghostbusters.
Confused Donald Trump GIF

I mean I get you’re down on the team but to act like there’s no possible way they beat bama is just ridiculous. You probably didn’t think they would beat auburn either. This team is capable of winning or losing against anyone. And no I’m not defending cal
Well what makes people think Kentucky wins tomorrow? Kentucky plays worse at home, hence the 4 homes losses. Kentucky doesn’t guard anybody, struggles to guard the ball, and lets teams shoot open 3s all game. Bama is a literal matchup nightmare for Kentucky. Roast me if I’m wrong, but tommrrow has the potential to get ugly for Kentucky

Well what makes people think Kentucky wins tomorrow? Kentucky plays worse at home, hence the 4 homes losses. Kentucky doesn’t guard anybody, struggles to guard the ball, and lets teams shoot open 3s all game. Bama is a literal matchup nightmare for Kentucky. Roast me if I’m wrong, but tommrrow has the potential to get ugly for Kentucky
Again all that same stuff was said before auburn but they won. They very well could lose and it be ugly. we have a great offense just like bama does, if the defense shows up like it did against auburn then Kentucky wins

Edwards trails Reeves, Mitchell, Sheppard, Wagner, Dillingham, Theiro, and recently Onyenso in minutes. 7th man on the season, 8th man recently. But I don't disagree that I would like him to get even fewer (unless/until he shows he deserves more).

Getting stops when you need one is important. We actually did get a couple late vs LSU, and honestly that last play defensively was good, clean blocked shot with a tip pass tip shot, I mean they only make that 1 out of 10 times.
The rebounding is an issue too.

Every team this year has struggled. The toughest road game they have won are LSU, Miss St & UGA. They win the games they are supposed to win (all but one of them, Ohio St), But vs good competition (say top 30 teams) they are 3-6. We are about the same, 3-5. Although our best 3 wins (at Auburn, UNC (neutral), at Florida) are better than their best 3 (Auburn, Florida and S.Car. all 3 at Home).

UK Admin does not help UK have a big home court advantage by filling the lower arena with unenergetic booster blue-hairs instead of students in the first 10 rows. The boosters would also probably prefer top lower-level "box seats" to the current bottom lower-level seats if UK would work with Rupp Arena to put those in.

[
Every team this year has struggled. The toughest road game they have won are LSU, Miss St & UGA. They win the games they are supposed to win (all but one of them, Ohio St), But vs good competition (say top 30 teams) they are 3-6. We are about the same, 3-5. Although our best 3 wins (at Auburn, UNC (neutral), at Florida) are better than their best 3 (Auburn, Florida and S.Car. all 3 at Home).

UK Admin does not help UK have a big home court advantage by filling the lower arena with unenergetic booster blue-hairs instead of students in the first 10 rows. The boosters would also probably prefer top lower-level "box seats" to the current bottom lower-level seats if UK would work with Rupp Arena to put those in.
They just always play way more tense at home. I just have a hard time seeing them win tomorrow. If they do I will own up to me being wrong like I always do

Again all that same stuff was said before auburn but they won. They very well could lose and it be ugly. we have a great offense just like bama does, if the defense shows up like it did against auburn then Kentucky wins
Bama is a lot better offensively than about in terms of shooting. Kentucky plays better with a chip on their shoulder when they are on the road. At home in big game recently they play extremely tense and make a ton of mistakes

Bama is a lot better offensively than about in terms of shooting. Kentucky plays better with a chip on their shoulder when they are on the road. At home in big game recently they play extremely tense and make a ton of mistakes
They should be playing with a chip on their shoulder in this game, they’re the underdogs plus they’re coming off a loss. We’ll see what happens, but I don’t feel like Kentucky just has no chance it could go either way

They should be playing with a chip on their shoulder in this game, they’re the underdogs plus they’re coming off a loss. We’ll see what happens, but I don’t feel like Kentucky just has no chance it could go either way
It’s not 100 percent bama I agree, I just think the amount of obstacles Kentucky has to overcome in this game is to many

Reactions: HoneyMoon155
Getting stops when you need one is important. We actually did get a couple late vs LSU, and honestly that last play defensively was good, clean blocked shot with a tip pass tip shot, I mean they only make that 1 out of 10 times.
The rebounding is an issue too.
We should never have been in a position where a lucky tip pass/tip shot would beat us.

I agree. I believe the players are there to make a run, it's Cal getting in the way that concerns me from letting it happen. Reeves, Reed, Dillingham, Thiero, the Mitchell UK got before the injury and Ugonna before LSU with Edwards shooting better playing more aggressively is good but Cal's stubborn ways and injuries have hurt this team from reaching their ceiling.

Reactions: FiveStarCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT