ADVERTISEMENT

Sources Say Re Oscar; positive NBA feedback

Nothing sounded positive about UK in that whole podcast.
In a nut shell:

1. Livingston is gone.
2. Oscar is likely gone.
3. UK has no other viable options if Oscar goes.
4. Don't trust Bradshaw saying he's locked into Kentucky. Jury is still out.
5. Reeves is hardly a lock to return, but if they had to guess, they'd say he's likely coming back.
6. We're not getting Holland.

Just another late-Spring, early-summer for Johnny Clam Chowder.

Last edited:
If Ugo starts this season the team goes nowhere.
Why is a 5 Star Center that just basically redshirted for a year such a bad option?

Particularly when that Center was considered the best shot blocker in all of HS at the time of his commitment.

Not to mention, a Center that put up impressive lines when given extended runs early in the season.

I’m just having a hard time understanding what anyone doesn’t like about a 5 Star 7’0 shot blocking extraordinaire that just gained a year of experience.

He is everything Cal requires in a big man, I’m genuinely hoping Oscar doesn’t come back so that we can see Ugo shine.

Why is a 5 Star Center that just basically redshirted for a year such a bad option?

Particularly when that Center was considered the best shot blocker in all of HS at the time of his commitment.

Not to mention, a Center that put up impressive lines when given extended runs early in the season.

I’m just having a hard time understanding what anyone doesn’t like about a 5 Star 7’0 shot blocking extraordinaire that just gained a year of experience.

He is everything Cal requires in a big man, I’m genuinely hoping Oscar doesn’t come back so that we can see Ugo shine.
Just don't complain next season when he struggles or has foul trouble and we have nothing.

I am sure you will be complaining regardless.
Whenever you post, it's like this:

giphy.gif

he could not beat out convincingly Ware for meaningful minutes on a team that was begging for rim protection….do you really think he’s going to morph into top end player in one year?

Why? Because Ugo is not a polished player. He's a borderline 5* at best and that's just because he has measurables and he can block shots.

He has zero shooting ability, zero post moves, slow to react, can't defend at the college level and he can't hit free throws.

This is UK, not Cleveland state, we should have a legit polished 5, not a 2 year project posing as a starter.

Why? Because Ugo is not a polished player. He's a borderline 5* at best and that's just because he has measurables and he can block shots.

He has zero shooting ability, zero post moves, slow to react, can't defend at the college level and he can't hit free throws.

This is UK, not Cleveland state, we should have a legit polished 5, not a 2 year project posing as a starter.
He’s gonna shock you. He’s going to be very good. Scouts said he’s the best shot blocker since Noel. Put him next to Bradshaw and you have two really good seven foot shot blockers.

He’s gonna shock you. He’s going to be very good. Scouts said he’s the best shot blocker since Noel. Put him next to Bradshaw and you have two really good seven foot shot blockers.
I can't tell you how many times I've believed that and been completely let down and I've seen enough to know that Ugo is a project that we won't see blossom until his junior year. Think Richards and WCS.

Now is not the time to roll the dice. Cal rolls the dice and goes with his gut way too often. It used to work out, it hasn't been working out the last 6 or 7 years. It's time to go with known commodities.

A lot of losses next year with the lack of men on the team. And rushing to the portal to fill out with second tier players or mid majors isn’t gonna cut it. It’s gonna be a rough year next year without Oscar. Cal landed his recruits and spiked the ball at midfield. Kinda has the feel of the 2020 season tbh

Let's see how it plays out. Whoever gets the majority of minutes at 5 will improve just from the extra playing time (like Jorts did).

If Oscar goes Pro and it works out .... I'd be thrilled for him. He certainly owes us nothing. I wish him happiness, whatever that looks like.

For us, I think it really comes down to team chemistry and how well the freshmen perform. College has become more of a perimeter game, although the SEC and the Big East are both still a bit more traditional in that its rough inside.

I hope we can grab someone else, just for the extra fouls inside.

As much as I like Oscar, it's probably for the best, Cal can't teach him how to defend, or protect the rim, it's time to try someone else.
exactly what does ccc teach to the players?
there is such a vast difference in kids after they transfer or go to the NBA in the 1st year.
they have improved leaps and bounds

exactly what does ccc teach to the players?
there is such a vast difference in kids after they transfer or go to the NBA in the 1st year.
they have improved leaps and bounds
I think the training program under Cal, as far as strength and conditioning goes, is great, but the individual player development side of the house, is mediocre at best.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Do you really think Noel would have not beaten out Lance Ware for backup C minutes behind Oscare last year in his first year?

Glad you are so positive.
I just don't understand how some can continue to turn a blind eye to the situation.
There are 7 players available at this point. Basically, all are freshmen. Yet the sunshine pumpers continue to sing the praises of how great this team will be. It will not be anything without a lot more help. This clown of a coach has watched Indiana pick up Ware, UT pick up 2 good transfers, Ark continues to stockpile, Duke has a set team. Yet UK has done nothing except talk to Dickinson, which is a totally wrong type of player to fit with the freshmen. The Nelson kid & the big guy from Utah Valley could help a lot, another high scoring guard is needed. But ccc does nothing & apparently must check with Bradshaw & camp in order to even talk, and heaven forbid add any other big player that could cut into his promised time. The program is no longer of the elite status. It is now just another of the has beens

Ugo can't be a starter, if he is, we're screwed.
Heck, if he plays more than 20mpg, we're screwed.
not going to knock the kid, except for his camps wishy washy leaving/returning ordeal
age wise, he is a freshman. Experience wise he is a freshman. He should have gotten some time last year, but the brilliant coach seldom let him off the bench. The limited time he did play, I saw a very limited vertical jumping ability and lack of timing when blocking shots. Maybe he has improved during the offseason, but every year, reports are out talking of the huge improvements of players only to see very little improvement. Last year everyone was so concerned about Toppin returning because of the alleged improvement from working out with his brother and other pros. When the season began, it was the same old thing. Decent one game, disappear for two or three, pout in others. He turned out to be basically a clone of Brooks.

Reactions: kyjeff1
he could not beat out convincingly Ware for meaningful minutes on a team that was begging for rim protection….do you really think he’s going to morph into top end player in one year?
We will never know if he couldn’t beat out Ware. Cal plays his favorites and should have played Ugonna early on so he could get better as the season progressed. Ware should have only played in blowouts and then just in the last two minutes. This is all on idiot Cal.

Right. Cal only coached him up to NPOY.

The paint was clogged because we had no one else.

How should Cal have used him, play him at guard?
so when UK stinks, the story line is ccc didn't miss the shots or make the mistakes but when Oscar won POY, ccc hit all those shots & grabbed all the rebounds........... Yea, seems about right for the ccc lovers society

Then why didn't he win POY again last year, ccc was still the coach.......
Could it be that Oscar got tired of ccc's crap and told him about it, and called him out about playing people that didn't give 100%. Of could it be that ccc's pet, Wheeler didn't like Oscar & didn't pass the ball to him at the correct time or position. Wheeler & ccc are the same............useless

I think the training program under Cal, as far as strength and conditioning goes, is great, but the individual player development side of the house, is mediocre at best.
I worried about the strength & conditioning aspect in the past. Had no specific information, it was just a nagging thought that our guys didn't seem to be making noticeable jumps physically. Then UK changed the S&C coach, and now I've read a few things sounding positive. What's the word around the S&C program now? Are we considered one of the best in basketball S&C training now?

If Ugo starts this season the team goes nowhere.
We might have thought the same going into the 2020 team... Nick Richards at Center. If Ugo can provide much needed rim protection we could get exactly what we need. Ugo averages something like 8 ppg, 9 reb, and 3 blocks I think we'll all be happy. As we've learned, in this day and age, running your offense through a big man probably isn't the best. Hopefully our guards and wings can live up their lofty expectations.

It’s a big if, but I feel like if he can learn how to play defense there’s a role for him in the NBA. Imagine him on the Warriors just snagging every rebound and kicking it back out to shooters (wish we could have seen that here but we never constructed the right roster around him).
Oscar hasn't shown the ability to kick out to the open man

I can't keep up with some of you guys. Two weeks ago if we lost Ugo we were doomed and now that he is back if he plays we are doomed. Is there any scenario we aren't doomed? I just need to know what to ask for on my Santa wish list.

We will never know if he couldn’t beat out Ware. Cal plays his favorites and should have played Ugonna early on so he could get better as the season progressed. Ware should have only played in blowouts and then just in the last two minutes. This is all on idiot Cal.
You really think Ware was a favorite? Cal has usually played favorites with higher rated kids over lower rated kids...Ugo is the higher rated Fr over Ware.

Guys...Ugo didn't have foot speed and reaction good enough to do much of anything save terrible non conference teams. Go back and re watch Ugo in Gonzaga game.....he was out of his elements.

Reactions: plumdog69
In a nut shell:

1. Livingston is gone.
2. Oscar is likely gone.
3. UK has no other viable options if Oscar goes.
4. Don't trust Bradshaw saying he's locked into Kentucky. Jury is still out.
5. Reeves is hardly a lock to return, but if they had to guess, they'd say he's likely coming back.
6. We're not getting Holland.

Just another late-Spring, early-summer for Johnny Clam Chowder.
In a nutshell can you get more negative. You donyt have a clue just like everyone else on here.

Reactions: kl40504
Let's see how it plays out. Whoever gets the majority of minutes at 5 will improve just from the extra playing time (like Jorts did).

If Oscar goes Pro and it works out .... I'd be thrilled for him. He certainly owes us nothing. I wish him happiness, whatever that looks like.

For us, I think it really comes down to team chemistry and how well the freshmen perform. College has become more of a perimeter game, although the SEC and the Big East are both still a bit more traditional in that its rough inside.

I hope we can grab someone else, just for the extra fouls inside.

Agree. Jeff and others can and will pound negativity into your skull and they are very often dead wrong yet they just pick another topic to obsess on. Relax and see what happens. The way they run around with their heads cut off, you'd think some have bet their houses on UK winning a title by a certain date.

• Haha
Reactions: kyjeff1 and kl40504
I worried about the strength & conditioning aspect in the past. Had no specific information, it was just a nagging thought that our guys didn't seem to be making noticeable jumps physically. Then UK changed the S&C coach, and now I've read a few things sounding positive. What's the word around the S&C program now? Are we considered one of the best in basketball S&C training now?
I have always thought Cal did a good job of physically pushing our guys in the conditioning department.
Cal plays 7 or 8 guys and when he does that, those players appear to play big minutes without wearing down and getting beat because they lost their legs.
I remember Wall talking about how grueling it was when he played.
I don't actually know who has the best conditioning program out there, but I never felt like ours was an issue.

Reactions: G-PIP
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT