ADVERTISEMENT

Predict UK's record for the final 8 regular season games. Torvik and KenPom say 4-4

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
The Wildcats head into this week with a 16-7 record, a 6-4 mark in the SEC and just eight games remaining in their regular season. Don’t be surprised if the struggle continues. The major college basketball predictive websites KenPom.com and BartTorvik.com are both projecting the Cats to go 4-4 in those remaining games.

If that happens, Kentucky will go into next month’s SEC Tournament with a 20-11 overall record and a 10-8 showing in the league, a finish that would leave the Wildcats a whole lot closer to the NCAA Tournament bubble than the 1 seed that seemed such a realistic possibility a mere three weeks ago.

Both of those websites’ projections have Kentucky beating Ole Miss on Tuesday night, winning at LSU next week and then defeating Arkansas and Vanderbilt to finish off the home schedule. But both sites have the Cats losing Saturday at Auburn, dropping a game to Alabama next weekend in Rupp Arena and then getting beat in road games at Mississippi State and Tennessee.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...tball-men/article285377922.html#storylink=cpy

Image-2-13-24-at-8-39-AM.jpg

All losses.

Ridiculous? Absolutely. Just like the games we’ve squandered the last several seasons and early tournament oustings.

Maybe we can steal a couple before the tournament! I remember a day when they were all expected wins. Now, EVERY game is 50/50. Nobody is scared of UK anymore. Nobody.

Reactions: TFCats11
Im gonna guess 3-5. Ole Miss, Arkansas, Vanderbilt.

But nothing would surprise me between 2-6 and 6-2. Such is life on the margins.

Reactions: ukjenning44
At this point, 4-4 seems like a safe bet. Would love to see it 5-3 with the Cats sneaking out of either Auburn or Tenn with a win, but that’s a tall order for this team. This group is really lacking in marquee wins, outside of unc.

Anything over 3 losses the remainder of the year gets us a ticket to the NIT. We need to go 6-2 and 1 loss in the SECT. My eye test says we will go 5-3 with 1L in the SECT. I hope I am wrong and we wake up and run the rack.

Reactions: catben
I hope for 4-4 with losses to Auburn, Alabama, one of LSU/Miss St and loss to Tennessee.

Would not be suprised in the least to lose tonight and to both LSU/Miss St. Nor would it suprise me if we won some we at this point shouldn't. Who knows with all the lineup juggling and insane sub patterns and inability to defend the pick and roll.

Reactions: Catfan2226
Breaking it down game by game, I have very little hope that we win road games against Tennessee or Auburn. Mississippi State is also sneaky good at home having already beaten Tennessee and Auburn there, so we probably won’t be favored there either.

I see Alabama and LSU as toss ups. Alabama’s offense against our defense is a scary matchup on paper, but the couple of games where they’ve struggled were on the road, so maybe being at home gives us a chance. LSU isn’t a great team, but there’s few road games you can take for granted in this conference.

I’d probably slightly favor us over Ole Miss at home, and we should beat disastrously bad Vanderbilt and Arkansas teams.

That leaves me feeling like anything between 2-6 and 5-3 is realistic, but I’d be surprised if we do any better than that.

As mediocre as we are, we should still be able to win the rest of our home games assuming health. Alabama really isn't very good and has gamed the analytics by crushing awful teams OOC. Their talent level is middle of the conference level.

If we can win just one of the road games (probably the most likely scenario sadly) that would get us to 5-3. Probably hovering around the 7-9 seed line heading into the SECT.

At best 4-4 but 3-5 wouldn't shock me either. An absolute 2-6 and he should be ran out of Lexington with Barnfart

I'll be optimistic. I think Cal has hit rock bottom and is saying desperate stuff. He's working on zone. He's gonna play the best players. etc.

I don't see us winning the UT/Auburn games but am hoping to be surprised. Until we show some actual improvement, I'm really worried about the Bama game.

I'm gonna go 5-3. 21-10 regular season. Probably around a 7 or 8 seed.

I'll be the poster who plays Devils Advocate and might look like a Dumbass. I say we start playing way more small ball and a 3 guard lineup 80% of the time and we finish 7-1.

We are in basically the same spot UCONN was in at this point last season. They lost 6 of 8 in the middle of conference play including losing 4 in a row. Then they went 8-1 to finish regular season. We are capable of doing the same if we turn the corner and do what's needed. Sure it's a long shot but I'd much rather root for that to happen instead of being pessimistic and predicting the worst possible outcome. Regardless of current results this team has potential just as UCONN did at this point last season. Cats by 15 tonight.

5-3.
We win 1 not favored, either at Auburn, at UT, or vs Alabama.
But we lose 1 favored, either at LSU, at MSU, or vs Ole Miss or Ark.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
5-3.
We win 1 not favored, either at Auburn, at UT, or vs Alabama.
But we lose 1 favored, either at LSU, at MSU, or vs Ole Miss or Ark.
This probably the most reasonable take on it. The past couple of years they have won a road game we all thought they had no shot at winnning

No
All losses.

Ridiculous? Absolutely. Just like the games we’ve squandered the last several seasons and early tournament oustings.

Maybe we can steal a couple before the tournament! I remember a day when they were all expected wins. Now, EVERY game is 50/50. Nobody is scared of UK anymore. Nobody
It's the new normal in college basketball. These kids all play extensively against the each other in the travel circuits and everyone can play.

Nobody is scared of anybody any more

I'll be the poster who plays Devils Advocate and might look like a Dumbass. I say we start playing way more small ball and a 3 guard lineup 80% of the time and we finish 7-1.

We are in basically the same spot UCONN was in at this point last season. They lost 6 of 8 in the middle of conference play including losing 4 in a row. Then they went 8-1 to finish regular season. We are capable of doing the same if we turn the corner and do what's needed. Sure it's a long shot but I'd much rather root for that to happen instead of being pessimistic and predicting the worst possible outcome. Regardless of current results this team has potential just as UCONN did at this point last season. Cats by 15 tonight.
I get the optimism but there is a huge difference between UConn and Kentucky. Kentucky doesn’t have anyone on the roster close to sanago & Jackson. Those 2 were the anchors and glue guys for UConn, Kentucky simply doesn’t have anyone close to that. Kentucky does however have 2 guys like Hawkins who can get extremely hot and carry the offense. UConn could defend and rebound, I just don’t see Kentucky doing that for a prolonged period at all. Now Kentucky can go 5-3 during this final stretch, with the small ball returning they can atleast get up to a 5 or 6 seed if they lock in enough

I get the optimism but there is a huge difference between UConn and Kentucky. Kentucky doesn’t have anyone on the roster close to sanago & Jackson. Those 2 were the anchors and glue guys for UConn, Kentucky simply doesn’t have anyone close to that. Kentucky does however have 2 guys like Hawkins who can get extremely hot and carry the offense. UConn could defend and rebound, I just don’t see Kentucky doing that for a prolonged period at all. Now Kentucky can go 5-3 during this final stretch, with the small ball returning they can atleast get up to a 5 or 6 seed if they lock in enough
I don't see it either, just looking at the comparison is all. They lost 6 of 8 games and we have lost 5 of 9. Too much negativity on here about losing, so I prefer to remain optimistic; though still realistic and knowing it's a LONG SHOT.

If we do play the 3 guard lineup mixing and matching, Dilly, Reed, Reeves and Wagner alomg with mostly small ball with the bigs getting spot minutes I do believe we play much better the remainder of the season. That's a big "IF" though.

I don't see it either, just looking at the comparison is all. They lost 6 of 8 games and we have lost 5 of 9. Too much negativity on here about losing, so I prefer to remain optimistic; though still realistic and knowing it's a LONG SHOT.

If we do play the 3 guard lineup mixing and matching, Dilly, Reed, Reeves and Wagner alomg with mostly small ball with the bigs getting spot minutes I do believe we play much better the remainder of the season. That's a big "IF" though.
Yeah I get it, it is sad on here, everybody is to negative but it’s just a sign of needing a change. But if Kentucky can turn it around, they will be like Miami last year. Miami wasn’t good defensively either, but they were great offensively and spread the floor out

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT