ADVERTISEMENT

Jack & Shawn; “We got some Dogs this year”

I think it’s funny that because we don’t have John Wall coming in as a Freshman people think these guys are bad, they are the best players coming into college, Edwards is highly likely the number 1 pick out of all college and foreign prospects, there is a decent chance we have three other lottery picks!
Couple things:

Being a top draft pick means you have future potential. It doesn't necessarily mean the player is all that good right now.

Secondly, if you're going to start a team full of freshmen, you damn well better have someone as good as John Wall.

I really wish we could trade our collection of 5 star guys for Arkansas collection of mediocre inefficient chuckers so BBN would be happy. 5 transfers, all guards, 4 chuckers, none shoot over 42% but they do have experience being not very good.
One of the top mid-major scorers in the country, a guy who started on a final four team with lockdown defense, one of the ACC’s top scorers with no help around him, and an all-PAC 12 freshman aren’t very good? Interesting.

Reactions: EliteBlue

... Age isn't everything​

The oldest team in the 2023 Sweet 16 was San Diego State (23.0) -- a fact that did not prevent UConn from trouncing the Aztecs in the national title game.

The oldest team in recent memory was Providence in 2021-22 (23.3), a fact that did not prevent the Friars from bowing out against Kansas in that year's Sweet 16.

Age is a significant factor in college basketball because players improve year-to-year in their late teens and early 20s. But of course we've seen this particular form of significance rendered relatively insignificant many, many times. Anyone who saw Kevin Durant as an 18-year-old at Texas understands that age isn't everything in college hoops.
San Diego State did make the final game did they not? Poor take

I think it’s funny that because we don’t have John Wall coming in as a Freshman people think these guys are bad, they are the best players coming into college, Edwards is highly likely the number 1 pick out of all college and foreign prospects, there is a decent chance we have three other lottery picks!
Zero chance there’s 4 lottery picks on this team. ZERO

One of the top mid-major scorers in the country, a guy who started on a final four team with lockdown defense, one of the ACC’s top scorers with no help around him, and an all-PAC 12 freshman aren’t very good? Interesting.
Yeah they’re not, they’re just guys. There’s not a coach in the land who would take them over Wagner, Edwards, Bradshaw, Shep and Dillingham. They have 4 guys who were chuckers on bad teams playing bad basketball, and Marks who is a good defender and not much of anything else. Dude shot 39% from the field which is atrocious and 32% 3 which is not good. El Ellis jacked up a bunch of shots on a 4 win team. Kahlil Battle is another a chucker who jacked a bunch of shots and missed A LOT, just like El Ellis. Davenport is a poor man’s Darnell Dodson, and and Menifield was solid but inefficient too.

You value mid talent guys who score a bunch of points jacking up a bunch of shots on bad teams, I value talent. You ride with the Razorbacks, I’ll ride with the Cats and we’ll see who comes out better. Talent trump’s experience playing losing basketball.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
But when he’s talking about Antonio Reeves over on the Reeves thread his word is like highly valued …but I guess if he’s talking up next year UK team his word means nothing …ok got it .
Exactly what I have been saying. When ANYONE at KSR has a negative article about Cal / UK these sheep are all on the KSR nuts, let them run a good article, they trash them. It's so childish and stupid. Pay attention, the same 15 or so posters run in flocks grab assing each other's post and group mob attacking pro Cal.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatTough
Couple things:

Being a top draft pick means you have future potential. It doesn't necessarily mean the player is all that good right now.

Secondly, if you're going to start a team full of freshmen, you damn well better have someone as good as John Wall.
But most all top picks are both.
Miller
Jabari Smith
Banchero
Cade.
Who was the last lottery pick 1AD who didn't do much in college?
You have guys like Lively but he's probably going 20-30.

I can’t recall. What did Wall win? And his team was loaded.
True. BUT, they were missing that one key ingredient: consistent outside shooting. It reared its ugly head against WVU. I hated it when Bledsoe hit like 7/8 3s in the game before that. I figured he’d shoot terrible against WVU and did.

Relax Watching Tv GIF by Animal Planet

“Which we didn’t have last year”…scroll to the 12:20 mark of the podcast …both guys feel good about this season
Just 10 days ago he was telling us this incoming group is way overrated. He has become very good at click baiting the BBN.

But most all top picks are both.
Miller
Jabari Smith
Banchero
Cade.
Who was the last lottery pick 1AD who didn't do much in college?
You have guys like Lively but he's probably going 20-30.
Those guys are the exception, not the rule, but what exactly did any of those players do in the NCAAT? Did any of them even make it past the sweet 16?

When is the last time you saw a lottery pick in the final 4? Take a look at the teams that are getting to final 4's, see any elite freshmen?

You're also assuming our incoming frosh are going to be on that elite top shelf, but you don't know that. We thought Clarke and BJB were in that category, but they were far from it.

You wanted a list of lottery picks that didn’t do much in college, well, are we talking on an individual basis, or team? In my mind, it should be team, because if they aren't good enough to make the players around them better, than what are they doing?

What did Anthony Edwards do in college? Bennedict Mathurn (Ariz), Jeremy Sochan? Jalen Green, Evan Mobley? Scottie Barnes, Josh Giddey? Franz Wagner?

I mean, all these players are good, they had nice individual stats, but how far did they take their teams? Why should we care that Edwards is a lottery pick if we don't even get out of the first weekend?

Those guys are the exception, not the rule, but what exactly did any of those players do in the NCAAT? Did any of them even make it past the sweet 16?

When is the last time you saw a lottery pick in the final 4? Take a look at the teams that are getting to final 4's, see any elite freshmen?

You're also assuming our incoming frosh are going to be on that elite top shelf, but you don't know that. We thought Clarke and BJB were in that category, but they were far from it.

You wanted a list of lottery picks that didn’t do much in college, well, are we talking on an individual basis, or team? In my mind, it should be team, because if they aren't good enough to make the players around them better, than what are they doing?

What did Anthony Edwards do in college? Bennedict Mathurn (Ariz), Jeremy Sochan? Jalen Green, Evan Mobley? Scottie Barnes, Josh Giddey? Franz Wagner?

I mean, all these players are good, they had nice individual stats, but how far did they take their teams? Why should we care that Edwards is a lottery pick if we don't even get out of the first weekend?
Edwards didn't have a chance with that squad around him.
I just don't see how you can not sign an Edwards if he wants to come.
Unless I'm forgetting about someone, all of UK's lottery picks produced big in their year here.

Kentucky looks about as young as it did in the 'old days'​

At the other end of the projected age spectrum for 2024, we find two familiar names: Kentucky and Duke. The Wildcats in particular show a young look, with a projected AAWM of 20.2.

For comparison's sake, the 2012 national championship UK team sported a 19.7 AAWM. While Duke in 2015 was similarly positioned demographically (20.1), recent champions have skewed toward "average" (UConn last season at 21.3) or even "old" (Baylor and Kansas in 2021 and 2022 were both over 22.0).

As for the Blue Devils, a projected 20.8 AAWM in 2024 does appear youthful compared to other Borzello top-25 selections. On the other hand, Jon Scheyer's group is likely to be measurably older than the 2021-22 Duke team (20.0) that came within five points of reaching the national championship game. Which leads to one last reminder ...

... Age isn't everything​

Experience in cbb almost is.

Banchero
Banchero

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Yeah they’re not, they’re just guys. There’s not a coach in the land who would take them over Wagner, Edwards, Bradshaw, Shep and Dillingham. They have 4 guys who were chuckers on bad teams playing bad basketball, and Marks who is a good defender and not much of anything else. Dude shot 39% from the field which is atrocious and 32% 3 which is not good. El Ellis jacked up a bunch of shots on a 4 win team. Kahlil Battle is another a chucker who jacked a bunch of shots and missed A LOT, just like El Ellis. Davenport is a poor man’s Darnell Dodson, and and Menifield was solid but inefficient too.

You value mid talent guys who score a bunch of points jacking up a bunch of shots on bad teams, I value talent. You ride with the Razorbacks, I’ll ride with the Cats and we’ll see who comes out better. Talent trump’s experience playing losing basketball.
The Arkansas team two years ago led by “experienced but untalented” JD Notae had a better season and made it further in the tournament than last year’s team led by five stars like Anthony Black and Jordan Walsh.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you but there is more to it than just shooting percentages or Missouri would have won a lot more than they did last year since they had the best 3% in the league. The difference between shooting 32% vs. 35% is maybe 6/100 shots, really not that impactful over the course of a season until you get up into the 40’s obviously.

Sources Say is just two dudes who like sports/UK basketball acting like they have inside access and connections. They've been wrong more than not. If you listen because you just consume all things UK, that's great for you (and them) ... but people who post everything they hear as if it's fact are just setting themselves up for disappointment.

Signed,
Paolo Banchero

Reactions: STL_Cat
Edwards didn't have a chance with that squad around him.
I just don't see how you can not sign an Edwards if he wants to come.
Unless I'm forgetting about someone, all of UK's lottery picks produced big in their year here.
My point is, you're only looking at the dudes that lived up to expectations. What about the Khalil Whitney's, BJ Boston's, Skal's and SKJ's?

Don’t just look at UK guys here, but check the recruiting rankings, how many guys were supposed to be great, but were just okay, or busts. Cam Reddish was meh.

How do we know some, or all of our '23 guys aren't going to be busts? I gotta tell ya, when you put all freshmen on the court, they better be top shelf players from the jump.

My point is, you're only looking at the dudes that lived up to expectations. What about the Khalil Whitney's, BJ Boston's, Skal's and SKJ's?

Don’t just look at UK guys here, but check the recruiting rankings, how many guys were supposed to be great, but were just okay, or busts. Cam Reddish was meh.

How do we know some, or all of our '23 guys aren't going to be busts? I gotta tell ya, when you put all freshmen on the court, they better be top shelf players from the jump.
The ‘23 class will probably end up having some studs and some duds.

Law of averages and all.

At this point, we just have to hope the studs outweigh the duds.

Not a lot of room for error, though.

Most of these guys, if not all, have to be as advertised or we are in for a long season.

They'll have that 2013-2014 dog fight in them. But They'll be more like the 2016-2017 team that got robbery of a championship.
The 2014 team sucked all regular season. They only turned it on for the post-season. I hope this team isn’t 2014, I hope we don’t have to watch a team struggle all year. I’m sick snd tired of losing to garbage ass Seton Hall, Utah, Notre Dame, South Carolina, and Evansville (especially at HOME.)

Dogs , lol , what breed are they ? Do they have papers ? First round of shots ? LOL. Dogs. Dawgs .. They bad men I promise .. bad men ...... LOL The term. " dogs " in reference to athletes is so cringe worthy it should be throw into the trash heap of terrible use of the English language .. I with with a chick thats 60 something .. she says " FAR OUT " like its 1971 or something . dog and Far Out are about equal .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT