ADVERTISEMENT

Reed Sheppard the #2 pick in mock draft? Rob #4 ?

dynastydreamuk

Sophomore
Nov 18, 2010
According to this CBS guy, written Feb 9th:
2024 mock draft projections:

#2 Reed Sheppard
#4 Rob Dillingham
#23 DJ Wagner
#26 Justin Edwards

I don't really agree, I think Rob will be a 7 to 10 range and Reed 15-20 Range. Wagner probably will go 25-30 based on he has played injured much of the season it sounds like holding back his true ability I think. Edwards 35-45 risk/gamble range.
Klutch will somehow get Aaron Bradshaw picked as well mid to late 2nd round.
Big Z probably goes early 2nd round and some team gets a gem to develop.
Reeves is old, but I would take him early 2nd round or even late first round.

All that talent, and year so far a disappointment yes, post season we will see if they can do something.

Oh great. Maybe Swaggy Cal will be back!

Come On Please GIF by NBA

If Reed is #2 it should be after 4 years.

Dilly I can see.

Haven’t watched the NBA in probably 30 years so maybe I’m missing something. I don’t see DJ, JE, or AB as pros, ever.

Sometimes guys are drafted on potential. Don’t see any potential in any of the 3. Maybe DJ if he will work hard to develop a shot

They all are 4 year players imo.

RD0 will go top 5 in draft

Wagner bottom 1st rd

Edwards, Bradshaw in 2nd rd

Reed - Unless he is lottery he stays and I really doubt he is lottery in reality. He makes more in Nil thsn anyone next year in country. He is literally a advertising dream in state of kentucky.

This draft class stinks and most analysts I listen to have Reed somewhere between 6-12. 2 does seem very high, but with all the uncertainty at the top it’s clear he knows how to play basketball, has impressive efficiency/analytics numbers and will be a fit on almost any roster as a high level supporting piece.

I should have noted that I absolutely love Reed as a player and everything he brings and partly because Jeff was one of my favorites. (Jeff’s moonpie story at Mr. Wildcat’s service definitely caused me to water up) But he is not the #2 pick right now. I hope he stays but in today’s world if he is projected in the lottery he has to go.

Reactions: dynastydreamuk

#2 Reed Sheppard
#4 Rob Dillingham
#23 DJ Wagner
#26 Justin Edwards

I don't really agree, I think Rob will be a 7 to 10 range and Reed 15-20 Range. Wagner probably will go 25-30 based on he has played injured much of the season it sounds like holding back his true ability I think. Edwards 35-45 risk/gamble range.

All that talent, and year so far a disappointment yes, post season we will see if they can do something.

This is insanity…..I’m on the board of the Reed Sheppard fan club. But at the NBA level he is a man without a position. The NBA wants a SG to be 6’4 or 6’5…..not 6’1-6’2….he isn’t athletic enough to play PG at that level. The PG is arguably the MOST athletic position in the league at this time plus Reed’s handle isn’t good enough to play PG. At least once a game in college he get the ball stolen from him, I’ve never seen a player get the ball stolen from them this much in college go on to be a primary ball-handler in the NBA. If he was as tall as Tyler Herro this is an entirely different discussion but he isn’t. He is an NBA player but likely a combo guard that comes off the bench to provide shooting. You don’t waste a lottery pick for that type of role.

EDIT: I just want to reiterate that it’s 100% going to come down to his official height when he gets measured at the combine. UK lists him at 6’3 but all schools inflate those measurements. At best he is 6’2 but could even be 6’1 1/2….

JJ Reddick- 6’4
Joe Harris 6’6
Tyler Herro 6’5
Duncan Robinson 6’7
Grady Dick 6’6
Austin Reeves 6’5

Last edited:
I absolutely love Reed but I’d be willing to bet money that he will never be an all star. Which is the type of player youre wanting to get in the lottery.

Just baffling.

Reactions: fisherscatfan
ESPN has in their top 100 prospects updated 2 days ago: Rob at 4, and Reed at 12, Wagner at 27, Ugonna at 44, Edwards at 50, Z at 64, Bradshaw at 65, Tre at 70.

Reactions: dynastydreamuk
Sheppard sees and takes in the whole court faster than anyone I can think of who is not named Jokic. To be a pro, you need 1 thing you do that creates an advantage, and Sheppard has that. The question is how much that advantage matters.

I have 3 images of Sheppard's game. 1) The 3 from either the 4 o'clock or 8 o'clock position. 2) The usually late attempt to block a 3. I suspect he has been told to sag back and help and that once in the pro ranks that aspect of his game will disappear. And 3) The preposterous long pass up court to begin the offense. The last is what he does better than anyone in college.

How much does a GM and/or coach value that? Jokic does that, but it's only 1 part of his game. Jokic's immense presence lets him play merry-go-round, but a 6'2" guard won't be able to do that. I could see Sheppard's game developing to all-star level. I could see him with an inherent physical ceiling and riding the bench. You never know. [TV pause for effect] You never know.

Reactions: fisherscatfan

#2 Reed Sheppard
#4 Rob Dillingham
#23 DJ Wagner
#26 Justin Edwards

Yet Cal hardly played Dillingham in the second half, I guess Cal knows more than the NBA gurus. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the way Reed plays, but I think he stays here for a while, he's got a good head on his shoulders and is well grounded. His mom and dad are levelheaded people too. His NIL money will last as long as he is here, there are benefits for a Kentucky boy to stay in school here, and plenty after, if it doesn't work out at the next level. I just don't see him leaving, how are you going to develop sitting on a bench. Then you have huge amounts of players wanting to take your job every day. Jeff knows all about this and how hard it is to hang around.

Reactions: KFuqua
Sheppard sees and takes in the whole court faster than anyone I can think of who is not named Jokic. To be a pro, you need 1 thing you do that creates an advantage, and Sheppard has that. The question is how much that advantage matters.

I have 3 images of Sheppard's game. 1) The 3 from either the 4 o'clock or 8 o'clock position. 2) The usually late attempt to block a 3. I suspect he has been told to sag back and help and that once in the pro ranks that aspect of his game will disappear. And 3) The preposterous long pass up court to begin the offense. The last is what he does better than anyone in college.

How much does a GM and/or coach value that? Jokic does that, but it's only 1 part of his game. Jokic's immense presence lets him play merry-go-round, but a 6'2" guard won't be able to do that. I could see Sheppard's game developing to all-star level. I could see him with an inherent physical ceiling and riding the bench. You never know. [TV pause for effect] You never know.

It could.

But NBA doesn't use the #2 overall pick on players that "could" become great. The NBA wants a sure-thing at #2, and they for sure want a guy with an NBA body. Reed is neither of those.

Now, Reed could very well keep playing well, and maybe this will become more of a legit discussion, but aside from the last game, Reed has basically disappeared for 2 months.

It could.

But NBA doesn't use the #2 overall pick on players that "could" become great. The NBA wants a sure-thing at #2, and they for sure want a guy with an NBA body. Reed is neither of those.

Now, Reed could very well keep playing well, and maybe this will become more of a legit discussion, but aside from the last game, Reed has basically disappeared for 2 months.

For a very weird definition of "disappeared".

For a very weird definition of "disappeared".

I mean he did lol. We can put some of that blame on Cal. But Reed went from being the best and most productive player on this team, to sometimes scoring just 5 points on 4 FGA. He was apprehensive to take on the game and put up shots and his defense was really lacking. He went from being one of the best and most promising players in the nation, to at times our 6th or 7th best player. He has dropped off greatly.

Reactions: ukcatz12
This years mock drafts are full of foreign players who may or may not enter.
Hard to name 10 players in the NCAA you would draft over Reed.
Bleacher Report has Rob and Reed as the #1 and #2 freshmen in America.
Cody Williams has the highest draft stock of any class of 23 player right now.
How many of you have watched him play this year?
He's nowhere near Miller, Cunningham, Smith Jr or Banchero IMO.
Could end up being an Anthony Bennett type bust as a #1 overall which some have him projected..
Right now the SEC only has three first round locks in Rob, Reed and Knenct.
UK could get 6 drafted overall which would probably be more than rest of the SEC total.

JJ Reddick- 6’4
Joe Harris 6’6
Tyler Herro 6’5
Duncan Robinson 6’7
Grady Dick 6’6
Austin Reeves 6’5
I don't get your list of comparatives here ...unless it's just an example of that old trope about some folks thinking white players must always be compared to other white players.

Those players are distinctly different than Reed in the sense that they're pure wings (and a few like Robinson, Dick, Harris play nearly entirely at the SF spot). None of them have the point guard skills that Reed does. None of showed anything even near his elite court vision and passing instincts at his age.

Reed's true position is debatable. I think of him as mostly a point, but I guess some don't. But at the very least he is clearly a "combo" guard very well-suited to play the point if that's where he's needed. That ain't the case with the wings you listed.

Reactions: ala_kat2
Rob I think is top 5. While he isn't a once-a-decade talent, his style/flair is once-a-decade. The 2 guys that come to mind are Iverson and Trae Young. He's like half-way between the 2 of them. Thin, undersized, but tough blast of energy.

Reed needs a little more atheticism to help him on defense. I think he can get that, but I think that is enough to drop him into the teens.

Edwards, I'm not sure I would even take him late 2nd round.
Bradshaw I wouldn't take him in the first. He's at least 2 years away from contributing to an NBA team.
Ivisic is raw, but you can see some skills with him, I think he could go in the teens w/ Reed.
I think ThReeves has moved himself into mid-late 2nd pick status.
Wagner probably an early 2nd round pick.
I think with 1 more year to develop a decent outside shot, Theiro could make the 25 draft.
And Burks a year behind him.
Mitchell will go play in Italy or somewhere.
Onyenso, still needs some work, but I think can get there like Richards did.

This is insanity…..I’m on the board of the Reed Sheppard fan club. But at the NBA level he is a man without a position. The NBA wants a SG to be 6’4 or 6’5…..not 6’1-6’2….he isn’t athletic enough to play PG at that level. The PG is arguably the MOST athletic position in the league at this time plus Reed’s handle isn’t good enough to play PG. At least once a game in college he get the ball stolen from him, I’ve never seen a player get the ball stolen from them this much in college go on to be a primary ball-handler in the NBA. If he was as tall as Tyler Herro this is an entirely different discussion but he isn’t. He is an NBA player but likely a combo guard that comes off the bench to provide shooting. You don’t waste a lottery pick for that type of role.

EDIT: I just want to reiterate that it’s 100% going to come down to his official height when he gets measured at the combine. UK lists him at 6’3 but all schools inflate those measurements. At best he is 6’2 but could even be 6’1 1/2….

JJ Reddick- 6’4
Joe Harris 6’6
Tyler Herro 6’5
Duncan Robinson 6’7
Grady Dick 6’6
Austin Reeves 6’5
Shroder 6’1
Gabe Vincent 6’2
Jevon Carter 6’1
Bones Hyland 6’2
Chris Paul 6’0
Gary Payton II 6’2
Darius Garland 6’1
Cole Anthony 6’2
Jalen Brunson 6’2
Devonte’ Graham 6’1
Tre Jones 6’1
Collin Gillespie 6’1
Reggie Jackson 6’2
Mike Conley 6’0
Monte Morris 6’2
Malachi Flynn 6’1
Marcus Sasser 6’2
Payton Pritchard 6’1
Patty Mills 6’2
Trae Young 6’1
Jacob Gilyard 5’8
Tyus Jones 6’1
Tyrese Maxey 6’2
Immanuel Quickley 6’2

This is just a sampling of guys 6’2 or smaller. And you can see Reed is as good or better than several of these guys already. It seems you are concerned about height more than the NBA guys that will be drafting the players.

Reactions: ThunderCat98

#2 Reed Sheppard
#4 Rob Dillingham
#23 DJ Wagner
#26 Justin Edwards

Just to sit on the bench for the next 3 years

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT