ADVERTISEMENT

Reed Sheppard the #2 pick in mock draft? Rob #4 ?

Shroder 6’1
Gabe Vincent 6’2
Jevon Carter 6’1
Bones Hyland 6’2
Chris Paul 6’0
Gary Payton II 6’2
Darius Garland 6’1
Cole Anthony 6’2
Jalen Brunson 6’2
Devonte’ Graham 6’1
Tre Jones 6’1
Collin Gillespie 6’1
Reggie Jackson 6’2
Mike Conley 6’0
Monte Morris 6’2
Malachi Flynn 6’1
Marcus Sasser 6’2
Payton Pritchard 6’1
Patty Mills 6’2
Trae Young 6’1
Jacob Gilyard 5’8
Tyus Jones 6’1
Tyrese Maxey 6’2
Immanuel Quickley 6’2

This is just a sampling of guys 6’2 or smaller. And you can see Reed is as good or better than several of these guys already. It seems you are concerned about height more than the NBA guys that will be drafting the players.
I listed known shooters who have or had NBA careers because of their elite shooting ability. All the guys you listed have significantly more lateral quickness than Reed and I don’t realistically think he can guard any of them. I suspect you disagree which is fine.

Reactions: grevey35
Both Reed and Rob are too high. Rob deserves a top 15 ranking, Reed probably towards the latter end of the 1st round. Reed is very hard to project going forward. There are times when I think he looks very ordinary against top competition, and other times when he plays with reckless abandon, I think he's fantastic and the best player on the floor. His court awareness is off the chart, including his unheralded rebounding...at 100 boards, he's third on the team in total rebounds. He just has that knack where the ball is caroming off the rim. By contrast, DJ has played more minutes and has only 34 rebounds.

His career trajectory may hinge on how much athletic upside he has...as a true Freshman, to me he's not exactly ripped/cut up physically. He looks a bit immature actually ( as does Justin). If he fills out and becomes more athletic, look out.

I don't get your list of comparatives here ...unless it's just an example of that old trope about some folks thinking white players must always be compared to other white players.

Those players are distinctly different than Reed in the sense that they're pure wings (and a few like Robinson, Dick, Harris play nearly entirely at the SF spot). None of them have the point guard skills that Reed does. None of showed anything even near his elite court vision and passing instincts at his age.

Reed's true position is debatable. I think of him as mostly a point, but I guess some don't. But at the very least he is clearly a "combo" guard very well-suited to play the point if that's where he's needed. That ain't the case with the wings you listed.
As I stated in my post I don’t think Reed has the handle to play NBA PG consistently maybe in some emergency possessions. He gets the ball stolen from him at least once a game at the college level. Those kinds of players in my experience don’t go on to be ball handlers in the NBA. I listed players that are known as elite shooters and I think Reed is the best shooter in the country this year.

Reactions: KYExtemper
Rob and Reeves are the best players on this team. i Would take Reeves in mid to late 1st. Maybe earlier.

Reactions: grevey35
I love Reed but this guy is insane. There is no way that Reed gets picked second overall. He is a great shooter and smart player, but he can’t guard division I guards. There is not one NBA guard he can stay in front of. He is a guy who could stay and work on his game and become great but we all know that routine.

Oh great. Maybe Swaggy Cal will be back!

Come On Please GIF by NBA
I always hated that term even in the best of times. He was always guilty of tooting his own horn when it was absolutely unnecessary.

According to this CBS guy, written Feb 9th:
2024 mock draft projections:

#2 Reed Sheppard
#4 Rob Dillingham
#23 DJ Wagner
#26 Justin Edwards

I don't really agree, I think Rob will be a 7 to 10 range and Reed 15-20 Range. Wagner probably will go 25-30 based on he has played injured much of the season it sounds like holding back his true ability I think. Edwards 35-45 risk/gamble range.
Klutch will somehow get Aaron Bradshaw picked as well mid to late 2nd round.
Big Z probably goes early 2nd round and some team gets a gem to develop.
Reeves is old, but I would take him early 2nd round or even late first round.

All that talent, and year so far a disappointment yes, post season we will see if they can do something.

Big z probably won't be drafted,
I can't see Reed going top 10. Slow on defense

Reactions: NociHTTP
I listed known shooters who have or had NBA careers because of their elite shooting ability. All the guys you listed have significantly more lateral quickness than Reed and I don’t realistically think he can guard any of them. I suspect you disagree which is fine.
My list is not exhaustive. And “all” of these guys do not have more lateral quickness than Reed.

I get it. Some of you desperately want him to return. But credible mock drafts in February aren’t far off. He’s a top 20 pick. It’s likely he lands in the lottery. And message board homers and their evaluations aren’t going to change that.

Last edited:
Shroder 6’1
Gabe Vincent 6’2
Jevon Carter 6’1
Bones Hyland 6’2
Chris Paul 6’0
Gary Payton II 6’2
Darius Garland 6’1
Cole Anthony 6’2
Jalen Brunson 6’2
Devonte’ Graham 6’1
Tre Jones 6’1
Collin Gillespie 6’1
Reggie Jackson 6’2
Mike Conley 6’0
Monte Morris 6’2
Malachi Flynn 6’1
Marcus Sasser 6’2
Payton Pritchard 6’1
Patty Mills 6’2
Trae Young 6’1
Jacob Gilyard 5’8
Tyus Jones 6’1
Tyrese Maxey 6’2
Immanuel Quickley 6’2

This is just a sampling of guys 6’2 or smaller. And you can see Reed is as good or better than several of these guys already. It seems you are concerned about height more than the NBA guys that will be drafting the players.
everyone of these guys eats Reed's lunch. I love the kid, but evidently most of you don't watch the NBA. If you can't play defense, you can't play. He can't play defense. With these bs draft predictions by media outlets, not NBA guys, I can see why people might get excited. But I see him as a Will Levis type, projected high, and then embarrassed in the green room while he waits all night and doesn't hear his name.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
He is 1-4 as a starter with his only win against Vandy. 0-4 at home with 3 of those losses against unranked teams.

I like Reed, but for some reason, the more he plays the more we lose.
This should be emphasized. Everyone called for Reed to start over DJ. Since he has, we have lost. I understand the Cal hate, he has really struggled in the last 4 years, but to bitch about him not playing people, and then he does and the results get worse, maybe he was doing it right before?

Reactions: ncaaky
This should be emphasized. Everyone called for Reed to start over DJ. Since he has, we have lost. I understand the Cal hate, he has really struggled in the last 4 years, but to bitch about him not playing people, and then he does and the results get worse, maybe he was doing it right before?
I hate to point this out but Reed is ahead of DJ in every statistical category.
So you want to play DJ in front of Reed when Reed is outperforming him in every statistical category?
Reed. DJ
53% FG %. 43% Fg%
52% 3 point %. 30% 3 point %
81% Ft%. 69%Ft%
Reb. 100. Reb. 34
Assists 95. Assists 68
Blocked shots 20. Blocked shots 5
Steals 55. Steals 20

Pretty obvious that's not the problem.
The problem is the players can't play man defense and Cal absolutely refuses to play
a Zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: westerncat
My list is not exhaustive. And “all” of these guys do not have more lateral quickness than Reed.

I get it. Some of you desperately want him to return. But credible mock drafts in February aren’t far off. He’s a top 20 pick. It’s likely he lands in the lottery. And message board homers and their evaluations aren’t going to change that.
You can disagree with my opinion it’s a message board that’s the entire point of this platform. But you don’t have to be insulting…..I watch a ton of NBA, read more draft articles than just about anybody on this board I’m not a “message board homer.” I’m an informed, educated, and objective professional and college basketball fan. It happens to be a historically bad draft this year so there isn’t as much competition as usual which helps Reed a lot. I’m aware that Reed has been projected in the lottery since basically the Champions Classic. I totally understand why you think he goes Top 20. I think it’s still early in the process and once the physical variables (height and lateral quickness) are factored in it will drag his stock down during summer workouts/combine to outside the lottery range. But please stop with the insulting name calling.

You can disagree with my opinion it’s a message board that’s the entire point of this platform. But you don’t have to be insulting…..I watch a ton of NBA, read more draft articles than just about anybody on this board I’m not a “message board homer.” I’m an informed, educated, and objective professional and college basketball fan. It happens to be a historically bad draft this year so there isn’t as much competition as usual which helps Reed a lot. I’m aware that Reed has been projected in the lottery since basically the Champions Classic. I totally understand why you think he goes Top 20. I think it’s still early in the process and once the physical variables (height and lateral quickness) are factored in it will drag his stock down during summer workouts/combine to outside the lottery range. But please stop with the insulting name calling.
You nailed it with historically bad draft that helps Reed.
Reed is a lock for top 15.
If not Reed then who.
Every pick will be a gamble in this draft including every top 5 pick.
Williams and Sarr are huge gambles at #1 overall.

23 was a weak draft also but it had hi end talent at the top in Wemby and Miller.
24 draft class doesn't have anyone like that at the top.
Currently 14 of the 30 23 first rounders are in the G league.

Reactions: Fox2monk

#2 Reed Sheppard
#4 Rob Dillingham
#23 DJ Wagner
#26 Justin Edwards

I don't really agree, I think Rob will be a 7 to 10 range and Reed 15-20 Range. Wagner probably will go 25-30 based on he has played injured much of the season it sounds like holding back his true ability I think. Edwards 35-45 risk/gamble range.

All that talent, and year so far a disappointment yes, post season we will see if they can do something.

I love Reed but no team is gonna pick him #2. It’s not happening this year or any other. He’s a prototypical #20ish pick IMO.

#2 Reed Sheppard
#4 Rob Dillingham
#23 DJ Wagner
#26 Justin Edwards

🤣🫣

I love Reed but no team is gonna pick him #2. It’s not happening this year or any other. He’s a prototypical #20ish pick IMO.
He's not going #2 but FWIW, nbadraft.net bumped him from 16 to 9 in yesterday's update.
I haven't seen a mock that he hasn't risen in.
Its a low floor low ceiling draft and I think it's setting up perfectly for Reed to be "over drafted" so to speak.
He's been one of the biggest stories in CBB this season and has had a ton of positive media buzz.
Weak drafts pay the same as strong drafts.

These are all awful but if you draft Justin Edwards as a GM you’re going to be unemployed

#2 Reed Sheppard
#4 Rob Dillingham
#23 DJ Wagner
#26 Justin Edwards

Whom ever wrote .that is just looking for clicks. Is the NBA so dumb.

Reactions: dynastydreamuk
People that consistently say there is no defense in the NBA are just flat ignorant of the NBA. Either watch it, or quit commenting about it.

I'd be shocked if he's drafted this year. From my eye test.

+ high IQ
+ excellent shooter from deep
+ good free throw shooter
+ calm almost all the time

- often doesn't look for shot, or even shoot when he's open
- not a good passer
- plays bad defense no matter who it is
- doesn't seem to be vocal on the court

Reactions: Fox2monk

+ high IQ

- not a good passer
You need to get your eyes checked?
You think he's not a good passer?
He's probably the best passer on the team with
over 4 assists a game which leads the team.
Every mock draft I have seen has him in the first round with some in the lottery.

Last edited:
You need to get your eyes checked?
You think he's not a good passer?
He's probably the best passer on the team with
over 4 assists a game which leads the team.
Every mock draft I have seen has him in the first round with some in the lottery.
He's not a good passer, do you watch the games? He had a number of awful passes today. An average of 4 assists per game isn't actually that good. On one career page I looked at, since the 1970's, the guy in the 250th spot averaged 5.21 assists per game. In the top of that list, the average was around 8-something. Being the best passer on the team doesn't make him a good passer. You should spend more time watching games, and less time following mock drafts. I advised the same for Cow, but he never listens. And, no I don't need my eyes checked. I've been watching the Cats since the 1980's. If Reed stays another year, which he should, running an offense and creating for others is something he needs to work on. He's undersized at any other spot on the court.

He's not a good passer, do you watch the games? He had a number of awful passes today. An average of 4 assists per game isn't actually that good. On one career page I looked at, since the 1970's, the guy in the 250th spot averaged 5.21 assists per game. In the top of that list, the average was around 8-something. Being the best passer on the team doesn't make him a good passer. You should spend more time watching games, and less time following mock drafts. I advised the same for Cow, but he never listens. And, no I don't need my eyes checked. I've been watching the Cats since the 1980's. If Reed stays another year, which he should, running an offense and creating for others is something he needs to work on. He's undersized at any other spot on the cou
Well I've been watching the Cats since 1964 and
I've seen lots of guards come through here and
Reed is a terrific college player. You think all these mock drafts are wrong? Of course not. Reed unfortunately is going in the first round. He's not turning down millions of dollars.
Reed assists are ranked 125 in the country..
Reed has to be the favorite right now for SEC
Freshman of the year

He's not a good passer, do you watch the games? He had a number of awful passes today. An average of 4 assists per game isn't actually that good. On one career page I looked at, since the 1970's, the guy in the 250th spot averaged 5.21 assists per game. In the top of that list, the average was around 8-something. Being the best passer on the team doesn't make him a good passer. You should spend more time watching games, and less time following mock drafts. I advised the same for Cow, but he never listens. And, no I don't need my eyes checked. I've been watching the Cats since the 1980's. If Reed stays another year, which he should, running an offense and creating for others is something he needs to work on. He's undersized at any other spot on the court.
No need to keep analyzing and re- analyzing Reed's game.
If he enters he's getting drafted and probably picked in top half.
The NBA will take over his development from there.

+ high IQ

- not a good passer
He will get drafted probably first round still but he’s not ready.

He will get drafted probably first round still but he’s not ready.
One of the reasons I like Reed so much is because of his parents. He's a FANTASTIC kid, and his parents care about him. For that reason I don't want him to leave this year and get burned by the NBA. He's really good, but he desperately needs another season and I'm hoping Cal has the sense to say "kid you will make a ton of money next year, and your parents are in your corner, come back to get better all around".

One of the reasons I like Reed so much is because of his parents. He's a FANTASTIC kid, and his parents care about him. For that reason I don't want him to leave this year and get burned by the NBA. He's really good, but he desperately needs another season and I'm hoping Cal has the sense to say "kid you will make a ton of money next year, and your parents are in your corner, come back to get better all around".
I hope he comes backs to build a legacy.

Why comment on something you clearly never watch?
People that consistently say there is no defense in the NBA are just flat ignorant of the NBA. Either watch it, or quit commenting about it.

I watch NBA games almost every night. It's not on the players. It's how the rules have been changed to give offensive players every advantage possible while handicapping defenses.

Let me guess, you two fellows are the types who believe today's players are such superior athletes no one can stop them?

I watch NBA games almost every night. It's not on the players. It's how the rules have been changed to give offensive players every advantage possible while handicapping defenses.

Let me guess, you two fellows are the types who believe today's players are such superior athletes no one can stop them?
Not at all, I do believe the role players of today are far greater than those of the past though. Also, no illegal defense anymore greatly helped defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT