ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Draft Round 1

Are you suggesting any of the picks aren't defensible?

Gonzo is playing mind games. Of course KAT was a great pick. As was AD.

The fact that they were Cats doesn't make them bad picks. They are great picks because they are young, extremely talented, and highly productive.

All things being equal, being Cats should push them over the top. Gonzo wants to bully people and call them names if they dare vote for a team featuring Wildcats. I'm on to his game. [laughing]

Reactions: gossie21
If it's defensible, then there isn't anything wrong with pandering as well. The only one that is higher than I would have expected was Cousins. There are probable 4-5 players I would have considered before him. Westbrook at #9 is shockingly low.

As long as you guys admit it's pandering. That's all.

Taking any of them ahead of the MVP who just averaged a triple double and took his team to the playoffs with virtually no help while they missed the playoffs would get you killed if they were Dukies.

If Russ had been a Cat he'd have been the top pick.

Reactions: UKcats1988

Taking any of them ahead of the MVP who just averaged a triple double and took his team to the playoffs with virtually no help while they missed the playoffs would get you killed if they were Dukies.

Not everyone is sold on Westbrook long term. KD sure wasn't.

Rules you have 12 hours to make your pick. Clock starts as soon as the person in front of you picks please leave the time you pick in your post as well. This will be 12 rounds. The goal of this draft is which team has the best chance to win multiple championships within a 7 year period 2017-2024.

Order was generated and posted to both mine and 420grover emails. I used the site http://www.draftordergenerator.com/ if anyone was curious on how it was done. I only was able to generate the order once which is why I got another person involved.
There should be a salary cap involved.

I acknowledged Russ went too low. And while there are certain parts of his game that I admire, I just couldn't pick him.

As for my pick, the pandering is maybe 2% of the reason I picked him. He is nearly a top-10 player in the NBA right now, and projecting over the next 7 years he is a steal. He's only been in the league 2 years and what he's done so far is jaw dropping.

Reactions: Big_Blue79 and Aike
Thankfully no one has questions about Davis' durability or Boogie's attitude then.

I didn't mention Boogie. But in the immortal words of Tupac, "I ain't mad ya." You play to win the game.

The thing about lebron is he can play any position, so when he's gets old slide him to PF or bring him off the bench. I'll take him the next 5 yrs and worry about the last 2 when that time comes.
Plus you know he will get the calls from the officials that other players won't get.

I acknowledged Russ went too low. And while there are certain parts of his game that I admire, I just couldn't pick him.

As for my pick, the pandering is maybe 2% of the reason I picked him. He is nearly a top-10 player in the NBA right now, and projecting over the next 7 years he is a steal. He's only been in the league 2 years and what he's done so far is jaw dropping.

He's great. I love KAT. But he's not better than Russ or a couple other guys yet to be taken. I understand why you took him, but just like Giannis isn't the top overall pick, it's too early.

He's great. I love KAT. But he's not better than Russ or a couple other guys yet to be taken. I understand why you took him, but just like Giannis isn't the top overall pick, it's too early.
If Kawhi Leonard was still available right now he wouldn't be my pick*. I guess that's what makes this interesting, we all see different things in different players.

*I'd have to take Jimmer Fredette, just like the Mountain West Conf did when they named him POY over Leonard.

Westbrook will be 29 in three months. That guy is a double knee replacement waiting to happen. No way I take that guy over KAT if I'm building for 7 years.

Lot of salt being thrown at Westbrook. Might have made an error on my first ever fantasy choice lol. Cant believe I didnt remember Wall. 2nd pick will be better.

Reactions: bbn93
Westbrook just averaged a triple double. He's currently a better player than wall, I just see wall being much more valuable on here.

Lot of salt being thrown at Westbrook. Might have made an error on my first ever fantasy choice lol. Cant believe I didnt remember Wall. 2nd pick will be better.
I think he is a fantastic pick at #9. He went #2 overall last year. And his usage rate isn't going down to mortal levels any time soon.

He's the MVP, averaged a triple double, plays through pain, is a great leader, but Rafters doesn't like him much. Dominique Hawkins will score you more votes than certain All NBA players.

He's full of heart and a great athlete and he really moves the ball and can knock down the open jumper (don't look at the stats! My eyes tell me what I want to see). That other guy is just a dramatic thug punk spoiled crybaby.

And the pandering begins.
We really didn't have much of a conversation regarding rules. But one suggestion to limit the pandering might be to put a cap on former UK players. Let's say 3 former cats max?

Your thoughts? I don't think that would have impacted anyone's picks so far, but it might prevent someone from reaching for a backup point guard in the 4th round just because he is a fan favorite.

We really didn't have much of a conversation regarding rules. But one suggestion to limit the pandering might be to put a cap on former UK players. Let's say 3 former cats max?

Your thoughts? I don't think that would have impacted anyone's picks so far, but it might prevent someone from reaching for a backup point guard in the 4th round just because he is a fan favorite.
My next 11 picks will all be wildcats and theres nothing you can do to stop me.

Last edited:

I don't think there's much you can do besides try and debate the merits of the teams factually and hope people are sharp enough to be unbiased.

To do anything you'd have to either put a 1 player limit or say no Cats and I think either one makes it too obstructive to build a team because we have so many talented pros.

My next 11 picks will all be wildcats and there nothing you can do to stop me.
giphy.gif

A quick refresher on the picks so far.

Pick #1 - UKNorse - Giannis Antetokounmpo
Pick #2 - Quest4#9 - Kevin Durant
Pick #3 - gonzocat90 - Kawhi Leonard
Pick #4 - Ruppsrunts - Lebron James
Pick #5 - usinfantrycat85 - Steph Curry
Pick #6 - catsfan3523 - Anthony Davis
Pick #7 - Frankunderwood - Demarcus Cousins
Pick #8 - gossie21 - Karl Towns
Pick #9 - catzman - Russel Westbrook
Pick #10 - bbn93 - John Wall
Pick #11 - 420grover
Pick #12 - drcats2013

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
I just checked the OP and it says 12 hours to make your pick. That has to be a mistake right?

We've done 12 and 8 in the past, I believe. Think Grover said he worked third shift so he's probably asleep and will be up soon. It's not like he's been on the clock long or anything.

I shouldn't have taken lbj lol
Why not? He's still the best player on the planet right now. Sure he's 32, and he's got a lot of international and playoff miles on those legs. But so did Kobe and he didn't start breaking down until he was about 35..... oh wait that means you only get 3 solid years out of your top pick.

Still, Lebron's athleticism is eye-popping, but his ball handling and passing are as elite as anything in his game. He should be able to transition into an old man's game better than Kobe.

The best part about lebron is that while hes one of the most athletic beings to ever walk the earth, his game isnt completely dependent on his athleticism. Hes slowly transitioning into a magic johnson. A big point guard. The less he can jump, the more he'll use his experience and strength and IQ to beat you. He will be a great pick for years to come.

Why not? He's still the best player on the planet right now. Sure he's 32, and he's got a lot of international and playoff miles on those legs. But so did Kobe and he didn't start breaking down until he was about 35..... oh wait that means you only get 3 solid years out of your top pick.

Still, Lebron's athleticism is eye-popping, but his ball handling and passing are as elite as anything in his game. He should be able to transition into an old man's game better than Kobe.
Lebron should be able to play well until 37-38 easily. He's been playing nobody in the east, not near as much mileage as Kobe had when he retired

Lebron should be able to play well until 37-38 easily. He's been playing nobody in the east, not near as much mileage as Kobe had when he retired
And Kobe's game relied on his athleticism. He couldn't/wouldn't pass well enough to become a facilitator.

I think LeBron has another 3-4 years left as at least arguably one of the best in the world. Someone had to take him early.

It's not like you took a guy who can't play winning basketball or stay healthy or who had to leave a contender to join the team that beat him or who never won a playoff series or who can't shoot or who doesn't play defense.

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
I think LeBron has another 3-4 years left as at least arguably one of the best in the world. Someone had to take him early.

It's not like you took a guy who can't play winning basketball or stay healthy or who had to leave a contender to join the team that beat him or who never won a playoff series or who can't shoot or who doesn't play defense.
fSZWD.gif

Maybe its just me, but that sounds an awful lot like Kyrie.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT