ADVERTISEMENT

All-Time NBA Draft Winner GoBigBlueFanGA

And now I'm the one holding things up for a change lmao. My bad there. I actually was kind of not expecting both my targets to still be on the board. I waffled through many names before them, but settled upon these guys because I thought they would fit the modern NBA well and I didn't have enough of their skill on this roster.
With the final pick of Round 9, I will select college teammate of John Havlicek, a true pioneer way ahead of his time: Jerry Lucas

Jerry Lucas was a pioneer way ahead of his time. 'Dr. Memory' really should have been playing the game 50 years later. If only they had the three point line in his day because he could stroke it from the outside ala Dirk Nowitzki. Lucas' outside prowess led to his outside shot becoming known as a 'Lucas layup.' He could also rebound like Bob Pettit/Dennis Rodman. His 40 rebounds in a single game is still a record for a power forward, and in two straight seasons he averaged at least 20 points/20 rebounds per game. Jerry definitely would have had a higher PPG average, but he had Oscar Robertson for a teammate. Granted you could definitely say the same about 'The Big O' if he didn't have Lucas as a teammate with the Cincinnati Royals (later the Sacramento Kings).

As for Shawn Marion, he was very close to a walking double double every night at his peak. He's the only player in NBA history with at least 17000 points, 10000 rebounds, 1500 steals, 1000 blocks and 500 three point makes in a career. He's also one of two players in NBA history to average at least 15 points, 8.5 rebounds, 1.5 steals and a block per game. The other is Hakeem Olajuwon, who is also on my team. Yeah, he could stuff a staff sheet and make stellar contributions on both ends of the floor. Never got the credit he deserved defensively, maybe due to the fact that those Suns teams weren't very good defensively as a whole.

Last edited:
Now the more traditional bigs are flying off the board.
Nate Thurmond and Artis Gilmore B2B. Excellent players/picks. Also glad to see Dan Issel go off the board. I probably would have considered him for my final pick if still available, but obviously wasn't meant to be since he was taken just before me.

Reactions: DraftCat
This is a guy that everyone here would agree had a disappointing career because of injuries. When you look back, he averaged 19,5,4 for a decade which is pretty solid. But since this draft assumes everyone is 100% healthy, I need a Cat on my team and there's none better than Jamal Mashburn.

This is a guy that everyone here would agree had a disappointing career because of injuries. When you look back, he averaged 19,5,4 for a decade which is pretty solid. But since this draft assumes everyone is 100% healthy, I need a Cat on my team and there's none better than Jamal Mashburn.
AAHHH! That was the guy last round that I said I wanted this round. He ALMOST got back to me. But you can’t stop me from having a former Kentucky great come off my bench. Damn the torpedoes and gimme Dan Issel! @YaySports

Dan Issel as Mr. Irrelevant was obviously going to be impossible. At least two others had the idea, and likely more given that this is a UK forum.

Would have been cool to make him Mr. Irrelevant, but as I said earlier, I got the two players I was targeting with my Rounds 9 and 10 selections.

giphy.gif

No. I make a ranking list for all of these drafts. But, I’ve wondered since my first draft if I’m the only one. Lol.

I could definitely add that dimension, but it would require a bit more time and thinking in creating the list. Instead I found it easier to just list them by position, having a general idea of where the players should rank both relative to their position and to where they should rank on an all-time list, as well as considering what type of skills the players have and what I'd need to add to my team at the time.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
I could definitely add that dimension, but it would require a bit more time and thinking in creating the list. Instead I found it easier to just list them by position, having a general idea of where the players should rank both relative to their position and to where they should rank on an all-time list, as well as considering what type of skills the players have and what I'd need to add to my team at the time.

That’s essentially what I do. I look at lists online but rank them according to my preference & in some cases add or subtract players to/from the list. Probably takes an hour or so. But, it’s nothing extensive.

That’s essentially what I do. I look at lists online but rank them according to my preference & in some cases add or subtract players to/from the list. Probably takes an hour or so. But, it’s nothing extensive.

That's not too far off from what I did. I'll take the rankings seriously to a certain extent, but give them a general sort of ranking relative to their position and every player regardless of position. If there's a player I'm not too familiar with, I'll do a little research on him to look at his stats find out more about his skill set. Sometimes I'll even take a player at a position I'd rank lower than a player ahead of him, but take the player I rank lower since his skill would line up with what I need for my team. For example, in this draft, it's why I took Steve Nash over some of the other point guards that were still available at the time. You could certainly argue Nash wasn't the "best available" point guard, but I felt like I needed a knockdown outside shooter, which is a skill that I didn't feel the other point guards available consistently provided or didn't provide at all. Plus Chris Paul was my target and he got swiped just one pick before I was ready to select, that also factored in lol

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
That's not too far off from what I did. I'll take the rankings seriously to a certain extent, but give them a general sort of ranking relative to their position and every player regardless of position. If there's a player I'm not too familiar with, I'll do a little research on him to look at his stats find out more about his skill set. Sometimes I'll even take a player at a position I'd rank lower than a player ahead of him, but take the player I rank lower since his skill would line up with what I need for my team. For example, in this draft, it's why I took Steve Nash over some of the other point guards that were still available at the time. You could certainly argue Nash wasn't the "best available" point guard, but I felt like I needed a knockdown outside shooter, which is a skill that I didn't feel the other point guards available consistently provided or didn't provide at all. Plus Chris Paul was my target and he got swiped just one pick before I was ready to select, that also factored in lol

Exactly. I try to build my teams with pieces that would fit well together & won’t hesitate to take a lower ranked guy if he’s the better fit. If @YaySports doesn’t take my guy I’ll be doing just that with my next pick. I put a premium on skill & versatility so a lot of times my lists end up vastly different than the general consensus.

Reactions: UKRuppster
I studied real hard on the first one I was in. Didn't go anything like I expected/wanted. Now I just wing it.

After the first round, that's what I basically did since I wasn't expecting Bill Russell to be there at 12. For better or worse when it comes to voting time, I'm generally happy with my team with the exception of not getting Chris Paul. I'd have maybe one thing different if I knew Walt Frazier would be available for me at the Round 5/6 turn, but obviously I didn't think he would be. I took him anyway even after just taking Nash. That was both a compliment Nash with strong defense and best player available selection for me.

I need a sharp shooting PG to offset Payton & this guy is one of the most underrated players of his era, IMO. He is one of the best pure shooters I’ve seen & flirted with 50/40/90 annually & was lightning quick with the ability to beat his man off the dribble & get to the rim or hit runners & pull ups. He was also a great passer & had quick hands defensively. He was All-NBA 4 times & also finished in the top 10 in MVP voting 4 times. I’ll take Mark Price. @Cowtown Cat OTC

Give me sharp shooter Kyle Korver who went 49% from 3 at once.May not be the most athletic player but my defense is already insane so give me one of the best three point shooters of all time.

To back up Charles Barkley give me the closest thing to him. He’s very young but he’s extremely explosive and hard to guard off the bench. To top my team give me a STUD in Zion Williamson.

Reactions: drcats2013
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT