ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Draft Round 1

DraftCat

Senior
Nov 5, 2011
Rules you have 12 hours to make your pick. Clock starts as soon as the person in front of you picks please leave the time you pick in your post as well. This will be 12 rounds. The goal of this draft is which team has the best chance to win multiple championships within a 7 year period 2017-2024.

Pick #1 - UKNorse - Giannis Antetokounmpo, Nikola Jokic, Devin Booker,
Pick #2 - Quest4#9 - Kevin Durant, Kristap Porzingis, Joel Embiid
Pick #3 - gonzocat90 - Kawhi Leonard, Draymond Green, Chris Paul
Pick #4 - Ruppsrunts - Lebron James, Isiah Thomas, Andre Drummond,
Pick #5 - usinfantrycat85 - Steph Curry, De'Aaron Fox, Rudy Gobert
Pick #6 - catsfan3523 - Anthony Davis, Kyrie Irving, Bradley Beal
Pick #7 - Frankunderwood - Demarcus Cousins, Kyle Lowry, Serge Ibaka
Pick #8 - gossie21 - Karl Towns, Gordon Hayward, CJ McCollum
Pick #9 - catzman - Russel Westbrook, Demar Derozan, Hassan Whiteside
Pick #10 - bbn93 - John Wall, Klay Thompson, Blake Griffin, Nerlens Noel
Pick #11 - 420grover - James Harden, Paul George. Deandre Jordan, Kemba Walker
Pick #12 - drcats2013 - Jimmy Butler, Damian Lillard, Andrew Wiggins, Kevin Love

Order was generated and posted to both mine and 420grover emails. I used the site http://www.draftordergenerator.com/ if anyone was curious on how it was done. I only was able to generate the order once which is why I got another person involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I have chosen the 22 year old Giannis Antetokounmpo he averaged 22.9 points, 8.7 rebounds, 5.4 assists, 1.6 steals and 1.9 blocks this season for the Bucks.

Maybe a little unconventional 1st pick of a draft but he is young and has Lebron like upside considering his age and production. Will be a monster for my squad well into the 7th and final year of this make believe draft.

@quest4#9 I chose at 10:50 PM you have till Noon tomorrow to make your pick.

Reactions: usinfantrycat85
One of these days I'll get a top-3 pick. Oh well, it hasn't helped the Sacramento Kings all that much. Maybe I'm better of going at the end of the draft.

One of these days I'll get a top-3 pick. Oh well, it hasn't helped the Sacramento Kings all that much. Maybe I'm better of going at the end of the draft.

I think this year more than ever it's feasible to build a monster at the end of the order. The crop of elite talent is deeper than just one player and there's so much positional flexibility that it's wide open.

I was actually hoping to be a bit further back for my plan, but I'll figure something out at 3. Gotta see what Quest does.

I have chosen the 22 year old Giannis Antetokounmpo he averaged 22.9 points, 8.7 rebounds, 5.4 assists, 1.6 steals and 1.9 blocks this season for the Bucks.

Maybe a little unconventional 1st pick of a draft but he is young and has Lebron like upside considering his age and production. Will be a monster for my squad well into the 7th and final year of this make believe draft.

@quest4#9 I chose at 10:50 PM you have till Noon tomorrow to make your pick.
You stole my pick...lol

Can't say I love GF at 1. Disagree that he has Lebron-like upside. We knew what Lebron was at 18.

But if you want him, better draft him I guess.

Can't argue with Durant though.

Can I gush for a second?

This guy is barely 26 and has been on a rocket ship to the Hall of Fame. He's improved in every area every year, and already has two (should be 3) DPOY awards, a finals MVP and showed this year that he might be the most valuable player in the entire league when he went down in the playoffs.

He was stifling the juggernaut Warriors and had his team up 20, then without him even the mighty Gregg Popovich couldn't avoid the sweep.

He initiates the offense, he's totally selfless, he's the best defender in the league, he can guard 4-5 positions, he averaged 26/6/4 with a per of 28 and shot 40% from three and nearly 90% from the line.

And again, he just keeps getting better. He'll be in his prime for the entirety of the competition. He's the perfect player for the modern NBA.

Give me G/F, Kawhi Leonard.

Pick in at 10:43pm central.

Reactions: WildMoon
I have no hate or criticism of LeBron James as a player. He's the best (not greatest, best) of all time, but a 7 year investment for a 32 year old with that many minutes and miles on his legs is a heavy burden.

You have to take him somewhere in this range, but those last 2-3 years are not going to be great.

Reactions: WildMoon
I have no hate or criticism of LeBron James as a player. He's the best (not greatest, best) of all time, but a 7 year investment for a 32 year old with that many minutes and miles on his legs is a heavy burden.

You have to take him somewhere in this range, but those last 2-3 years are not going to be great.
The thing about lebron is he can play any position, so when he's gets old slide him to PF or bring him off the bench. I'll take him the next 5 yrs and worry about the last 2 when that time comes.

Wow. I never would have guessed Greek Freak and Kawhi would both go top-3. Both great players, but neither is top-3. I like the way the next 4 are shaping up. I should have a high level player available at 8.

With the 5th pick of this year's 2017 fake NBA draft USinfantrycat85.... Selects.. Steph Curry from the Golden State Warriors .... the pick is in at 1217EST... @catsfan3523 You are on the clock with the 6th pick..

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Wow. I never would have guessed Greek Freak and Kawhi would both go top-3. Both great players, but neither is top-3. I like the way the next 4 are shaping up. I should have a high level player available at 8.

Lol stop. Kawhi is top 3. He's the best two way player in the game. At least make your first pick before sowing seeds for our finals showdown.

So how does player selection work. Whats the strategy? Just go for best players or go for best stats? Or does good stats on a losing team hurt etc? I need a quick rundown lol. I have players in mind, just trying to get the basic strategy.

Lol stop. Kawhi is top 3. He's the best two way player in the game. At least make your first pick before sowing seeds for our finals showdown.
I like Kawhi, just not top-3. Not when Steph was available..... among others.

But I do like that you switch things up every year. It makes the exercise more challenging.

So how does player selection work. Whats the strategy? Just go for best players or go for best stats? Or does good stats on a losing team hurt etc? I need a quick rundown lol. I have players in mind, just trying to get the basic strategy.
Every strategy is different. Stats are important and help with arguing for your team. Age is really important if we're projecting out 7 years. Fit between players helps too.

Every strategy is different. Stats are important and help with arguing for your team. Age is really important if we're projecting out 7 years. Fit between players helps too.
Within a 7 year period. Next year winning is just as important as the last year.

Thanks for the info guys. I got a couple picks chosen based on what everyone else picks. Not sure if im supposed to be picking an actual pg, sg, sf, pf and c or just my 5 best players. Im gonna enjoy the hell out of this. Come on @catsfan3523, Im ready to get this show on the road :boxing:

Reactions: catsfan3523
Perhaps we can make limit less than 12 hours per pick during the day ? Just a thought?

I was also hoping to grab the Unibrow. He had a massive 2nd half of the season. I just worry New Orleans will never be able to put a team around him.... not that that impacts this exercise. Great pick.

Whereas @GonzoCat90 likes to switch things up each year by taking a new top pick. I am going to take the opposite approach and pick a guy I have had on my team every year he's been in the NBA.

He's only 21 years old, but he has the size and skills to revolutionize the league. In only his second year in the league he was 12th in scoring 6th in rebounding. Shot 37% from 3 as a center. And everyone generally agrees he's only scratching the surface of his massive abilities. The only thing holding him back is his slow walk.

With the 8th pick I'm taking Karl Anthony Towns.

tumblr_nwsi23CNQq1s3gys4o1_400.gif

Damn I wanted the Unibrow. Guess im going Westbrook.

Anything's defensible. Doesn't make it valid. It's smart, it's just wrong.
If it's defensible, then there isn't anything wrong with pandering as well. The only one that is higher than I would have expected was Cousins. There are probable 4-5 players I would have considered before him. Westbrook at #9 is shockingly low.

Reactions: Big_Blue79 and Aike
Whereas @GonzoCat90 likes to switch things up each year by taking a new top pick. I am going to take the opposite approach and pick a guy I have had on my team every year he's been in the NBA.

He's only 21 years old, but he has the size and skills to revolutionize the league. In only his second year in the league he was 12th in scoring 6th in rebounding. Shot 37% from 3 as a center. And everyone generally agrees he's only scratching the surface of his massive abilities. The only thing holding him back is his slow walk.

With the 8th pick I'm taking Karl Anthony Towns.

tumblr_nwsi23CNQq1s3gys4o1_400.gif

Such a great pick. Davis and him were my first options. It blows me away what hes become from the 7 foot 3 point shooter he was in high school. I had him pegged as a dirk who liked shooting 3s bit limited inside. Could block shots due to length but wasnt a shot blocker per say.

Hes developed, due to Cal, one of the best interior players in the world and hes just recently been able to drink legally. Crazy.

Reactions: gossie21
ADVERTISEMENT