ADVERTISEMENT

Mt St Mary’s @ Kentucky thread

Our shot quality has been bad. We are winning by 11 due to some luck from midrange. At the half, we are about 9/16 on 2's not at the rim.

I want to see us spread the court and take at least 15 threes in the second half.
At least 15 3s in one half?? Good lord man.

Brooks can be effective and a good player if he rebounds and hustles and doesn’t disappear for long stretches
He drives me nuts with some of his decisions (hate that long 17 footer or whatever it is from the side he loves to take) and his stepping out of bounds but if he can bring energy for rebounds and general hustle, that is a big help.

Yeah bro, that's it, I'm new to UK basketball. When I say it's garbage, I mean it's garbage compared to every other modern offensive scheme that is run in today's basketball from the NBA down to high school. I'm sure Cal wishes all fans were just like you. All he has to do is live up to the enormous shadow cast by drunk Billy g and ten loss Tubby Smith haha.
I just know how bad it can be otherwise I guess. This team defense is still soft so that is where the improvement is needed. Most college half court sets look ugly to me. I don’t want us to rely on half court offenses like Virginia so to avoid that we should get out in transition started by our defense

Reactions: bbncal02
2.5 games in and UK only has 21 free throws(7, 12, 2). They are 16-21

I was a bit concerned about this coming into the season.

That and I felt the rebounding wouldn't be there. Even tho we have basically one dude doing it all the rebounding has continued but yeah we aren't getting to the line at all.

Which is okay but we just have to do well on offense in a different way than we have traditionally done under Cal. Instead of getting to the line, this is a team that in theory should shoot the ball better than any of this other teams. So that should more than balance it out.

FWIW Oscar is a guy who with WVU did tend to get to the line quite a bit so maybe we'll still be effective in that regard.

Bottom line -

We don’t shoot enough threes, period, or at least our best shooters don’t. Grady needs to be more aggressive on offense, Wheeler needs to shoot only rarely, and Brooks needs to take fewer long 2’s. Hard to criticize him too much though because he did a great job on the boards in the first half.

Unfortunately Tyty has drawn the ire of some UK fans because he didn't score 50 against Duke. Didn't have a good game. Oh well. Let's see how he progresses.
LOL, nice exaggeration. 50? It’s not that he didn’t score 50 man, it's that he choked, he forced shots and he got punked by everyond he tried to guard. Hell, he's carrying Keels's baby right now.

Reactions: Cat in ga
I just know how bad it can be otherwise I guess. This team defense is still soft so that is where the improvement is needed. Most college half court sets look ugly to me. I don’t want us to rely on half court offenses like Virginia so to avoid that we should get out in transition started by our defense
Yeah, no one’s should sing UVAs praises for awhile.

LOL, nice exaggeration. 50? It’s not that he didn’t score 50 man, it's that he choked, he forced shots and he got punked by everyond he tried to guard. Hell, he's carrying Keels's baby right now.
'he's carrying Keels's baby right now'. You say exaggeration? LOL!

2.5 games in and UK only has 21 free throws(7, 12, 2). They are 16-21

Dang.. once again we got a Kentucky team that's bad at committing fouls and bad at drawing them.. how weird?!

And even weirder how it will all the sudden not be a problem for these guys at the next level. We could recruit a scare crow and he'd have trouble committing fouls.

Reactions: gbl97
Allen is terrible at defense and that's why he doesn't play more.

I'm not sure why some fans insist Cal has it out for that guy when he's still horrible at defense.
I think the Allen complaints should have ended after last season was over.
I wanted Allen to play, but it was just because he was better than BJB and he actually cared if we won or lost.
This year is different. He should get some run, but only a few situational minutes.

I missed the first half , had to stay over at work an hour , ugh ..... But Grady with 0 or 1 shot attempt .... Thats John Calipari offense for ya .. it may not mean shit tonight , but Cmon that just shouldn't happen . He's our best shooter against a bunch from Whats A Matta U ??? no points ? Its piss poor offense

For sure. We’ve given up a few dumb shots. They’ve hit a couple of tough ones as well. That’s what veteran teams like them do. They aren’t world beaters. But hey play solid basketball and throw different looks at you.
That’s cool by me. That’s how you learn.

MAn what is the obsession with players hair. Pretty weird
Are you saying I have an obsession with hair? Me? I said it once and it's true. Tyty has the same hair style BJB had last year. I don't think that makes me obsessed about hair. Weird take man.

Damn annoyed I've basically had to work on IT outages during all 3 of these games to start.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT