ADVERTISEMENT

Bagley possible reclassification

I hadn't even followed this thread until today. But I have a friend in Austin who is a fanatical Texas booster, and unlike 99 percent of them, actually cares about basketball. He's at the level where he talks to people on the coaching staff.

I grudgingly congratulated him on Bamba and he said, 'Well, thank Cal for us. The tide turned when Kentucky signaled that Bagley was coming on board later in the summer..." The guy might have been toying with me. Can't say for sure. But he's usually on the money when it comes to Texas.

Time to make a trip to Africa to and find those 40-0 shirts!

hqdefault.jpg

I hadn't even followed this thread until today. But I have a friend in Austin who is a fanatical Texas booster, and unlike 99 percent of them, actually cares about basketball. He's at the level where he talks to people on the coaching staff.

I grudgingly congratulated him on Bamba and he said, 'Well, thank Cal for us. The tide turned when Kentucky signaled that Bagley was coming on board later in the summer..." The guy might have been toying with me. Can't say for sure. But he's usually on the money when it comes to Texas.

I really hope your friend isn't yanking your chain.

Bagley is the star that could make this class/team something special.

Reactions: BBUK

BRO

Reactions: MWes11
It is doubtful he was yanking my chain, because I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't even know who Bagley was until he brought him up. I didn't plan to start following recruiting for 18-19 until after the present team's roster is set. But then, after talking with him, I saw this thread. My friend doesn't kid around much, and subtlety isn't his gift. If we were trying to needle me he would have said something like, "I guess you know Vanderbilt is hurt much worse than people think..." And I would have busted him immediately.

Good to hear.

Looks like more smoke.

Got to think there is something smoldering.

That's a lot of smoke for no fire.

Good to hear.

Looks like more smoke.

Got to think there is something smoldering.

That's a lot of smoke for no fire.
My thing is, would Cal really stop recruiting a top 5 player only for the possibility of Bagley playing college ball this year? What if Bagley changes his mind and doesn't reclassify or isn't cleared? Was it worth giving up on an almost sure commit from Bamba toward the end? That's why I'm not really buying it too much.

My thing is, would Cal really stop recruiting a top 5 player only for the possibility of Bagley playing college ball this year? What if Bagley changes his mind and doesn't reclassify or isn't cleared? Was it worth giving up on an almost sure commit from Bamba toward the end? That's why I'm not really buying it too much.

Well said

I'm with you on this. Calipari recruited Bamba harder than he recruits most players. He wanted Bamba. Anyone who says otherwise, it just doesn't make sense. Plus, there is no credible evidence that Bagley intends to reclassify, and there is also no evidence that Kentucky leads for him. I think some fans are still sore about Bamba picking Texas, and they are jumping to hysterical explanations.

I didn't explain what my friend said thoroughly: Cal certainly didn't stop recruiting Bamba and would have taken him in a heart-beat. But when Bamba's people asked, Cal was honest that Bagley was a very real possibility -- maybe even a probability -- and would be welcome at Kentucky. So Bamba decided to go with Texas.
hmm ok that clears it up a bit. thanks.

I didn't explain what my friend said thoroughly: Cal certainly didn't stop recruiting Bamba and would have taken him in a heart-beat. But when Bamba's people asked, Cal was honest that Bagley was a very real possibility -- maybe even a probability -- and would be welcome at Kentucky. So Bamba decided to go with Texas.

That makes sense.

I am still skeptical, as most of us are. It sounds to good to be true.

But none of us really know what Bagley is planning to do. We haven't seen his transcripts, we don't know his test scores. We have no idea whether this is a possibility or not.

But this is not an unprecedented situation. Not even close.

There have been several reclassifications over the last few years. Diallo, Murray, Humphries, Wynyard, Towns, and Noel all reclassified and became Cats. There are also some notable non-Cats like Wiggins who reclassified as well.

Still skeptical and I will be until he announces his plans to reclassify and play at UK.

But as the old saying goes, "where there's smoke..."

That makes sense.

But none of us really know what Bagley is planning to do. We haven't seen his transcripts, we don't know his test scores. We have no idea whether this is a possibility or not.

There have been several reclassifications over the last few years. Diallo, Murray, Humphries, Wynyard, Towns, and Noel all reclassified and became Cats. There are also some notable non-Cats like Wiggins who reclassified as well.

Still skeptical and I will be until he announces his plans to reclassify and play at UK.

Yeah that would almost be absurd even by Calipari standards.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
That makes sense.

Agreed

That's it I've had enough of this Bagley may or may not reclassify. I'm just going to call Coach Cal and ask him.........please wait your call is important...... I'll get back to you soon to clarify this mess.

It is doubtful he was yanking my chain, because I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't even know who Bagley was until he brought him up. I didn't plan to start following recruiting for 18-19 until after the present team's roster is set. But then, after talking with him, I saw this thread. My friend doesn't kid around much, and subtlety isn't his gift. If we were trying to needle me he would have said something like, "I guess you know Vanderbilt is hurt much worse than people think..." And I would have busted him immediately.

Interesting info. For you/BBN sake, hope your friend has some inside info as this would be a huge get.

Friend just said that everyone at EYBL (agents, Nike guys, etc...) was talking of Bagley going to college this year. He didn't say where either--just that was word and nobody talks of "roster spots" because room will be made for a player of Bagley's talents. UCLA has a heavy influence at Sierra Canyon HS (teammate Cody Riley will be a Fr for Bruins this upcoming year) and as I passed along, the Nike guys don't want him at UCLA because of their move to UA. Only other non Nike school on his list was Kansas, who is Adidas and will gladly spend what it takes as we've seen with Wiggins and Josh Jackson to land guys.

It is interesting that in that pic of Jay Z everyone is showing at the EYBL this past weekend that nobody has mentioned who is in the same pic behind him (not one with team-but one where Jay Z is in stands). None other then William Wesley aka Worldwide Wes! CAA/RocNation in the building and if you think Jay Z was just there to see his nephew, you have bought the nice angle of this business.

I'm a big fan of Mo Bamba as a player and what he can become. If I could get Bamba or Bagley? Bagley 100% of the time. Good luck with this recruitment no matter when it takes place, but figured I'd pass on what I was told. Know CoachX11 and Jakarri have had some insight prior to this--school preference, rumors of what programs he likes, so I'll defer to them as I was just told the rumor was heavy out in LA this past weekend. One West Coast guy told friend he's heard UK for Bagley which got him excited, but my friend has not heard a thing or at least anything I could share with board at this time.

Interesting info. For you/BBN sake, hope your friend has some inside info as this would be a huge get.

Friend just said that everyone at EYBL (agents, Nike guys, etc...) was talking of Bagley going to college this year. He didn't say where either--just that was word and nobody talks of "roster spots" because room will be made for a player of Bagley's talents. UCLA has a heavy influence at Sierra Canyon HS (teammate Cody Riley will be a Fr for Bruins this upcoming year) and as I passed along, the Nike guys don't want him at UCLA because of their move to UA. Only other non Nike school on his list was Kansas, who is Adidas and will gladly spend what it takes as we've seen with Wiggins and Josh Jackson to land guys.

It is interesting that in that pic of Jay Z everyone is showing at the EYBL this past weekend that nobody has mentioned who is in the same pic behind him (not one with team-but one where Jay Z is in stands). None other then William Wesley aka Worldwide Wes! CAA/RocNation in the building and if you think Jay Z was just there to see his nephew, you have bought the nice angle of this business.

I'm a big fan of Mo Bamba as a player and what he can become. If I could get Bamba or Bagley? Bagley 100% of the time. Good luck with this recruitment no matter when it takes place, but figured I'd pass on what I was told. Know CoachX11 and Jakarri have had some insight prior to this--school preference, rumors of what programs he likes, so I'll defer to them as I was just told the rumor was heavy out in LA this past weekend. One West Coast guy told friend he's heard UK for Bagley which got him excited, but my friend has not heard a thing or at least anything I could share with board at this time.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

That makes sense.

Ha, one is not some...:rolleyes:

Dammit, you guys are making me start thinking about this. Our lineup with Bagley would be next level good. Even without experience, I think we'd have to be the favorites.

Isn't it too late to reclassified since the school year is over? Isn't that something that has to be done before the class you are reclassified to graduates?
I don't know, just asking how this works.

Isn't it too late to reclassified since the school year is over? Isn't that something that has to be done before the class you are reclassified to graduates?
I don't know, just asking how this works.

Some schools don't graduate until June.

Some allow you to graduate in the summer with summer school courses. Some allow graduation in December. Some offer online courses that allow you to finish credits whenever.

Education is governed by the states and the local school districts, so there is a lot of inconsistency.

Reactions: Cawood86

Do you have a subscribe button? Every time I see you post, you're entertaining and/or insightful. Appreciate ya!

It seems to make sense for him to reclassify.I don't know anything about the kind of student he is but basketball wise it's the smart decision.Who knows if UK would be his top choice though.Will be interesting to see.

I'm a little disappointed in the board on this one...

3NCQZ.gif

Team A:
C. Bagley
PF. Washington
SF. Gabriel
SG. Diallo
PG. Green
Bench: Wynyard

Team B:
C. Richards
PF. SKJ
SF. Vanderbilt
SG. Knox
PG. SGA
Bench: Baker

large_mzCTGi8s72xjLT40y7H8IyjOV3v.jpg

Not bad. But you know we will never see this sequel.

Some schools don't graduate until June.

Some allow you to graduate in the summer with summer school courses. Some allow graduation in December. Some offer online courses that allow you to finish credits whenever.

Education is governed by the states and the local school districts, so there is a lot of inconsistency.
Thanks man.

ADVERTISEMENT