ADVERTISEMENT

Perry to Uk

Perry should be content knowing he will become the best he can be practicing and playing with pro players everyday. Will be able to accelerate his improvement and ceiling a lot faster here than at the other places he was considering.

Reactions: jauk11 and UKortho
Again everybody is taking the context wrong, yes Kentucky is the majority for sure, but all I was saying was that there are other fanbases out there in western Kentucky and not every recruit on this state dreams of playing for UK.
I don't think UK has ever lost an in state recruit it really wa.nted to any other school than Louisville
Unless you are a transplant, most all kids in state are either UK or UL.
Duke unfortunately in a distant third but they are strong in any upper middle class to affluent suburban schools.

Good news. Love it!

Ch-UK-Thumbs-Up.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Perry calling in today.

Travis Perry on KSR

At 11 o’clock today, Perry will call into Kentucky Sports Radio’s morning radio show to discuss his recruitment and his commitment to UK. Perry will join Ryan Lemond and me for a segment to explain how John Calipari convinced him to stay home when the tides were pushing him in another direction and how exciting it is to be a future Wildcat.

Reactions: UKortho
Will gladly take him but I don’t get the decision on his end. He was gonna get a lot of mins early at wku Cincy or ole miss
1. Pretty sure his sights/dreams are bigger than WKU
2. Don't be quick to think he'd automatically get more time at Ole Miss - Coach Beard is notorious for defense-first - tough, lengthy, "dawgs" that get stops and create transition
3. Cincy or UK? Not a tough choice there

Again everybody is taking the context wrong, yes Kentucky is the majority for sure, but all I was saying was that there are other fanbases out there in western Kentucky and not every recruit on this state dreams of playing for UK.
I think everyone just thinks you're a fool for asserting that his "dream" would be to play for WKU or Murray, because they're geopgraphically closer than Lexington? I mean, come on...

Yeah I guess but not every kid in this state grows up a UK fan in western Kentucky they are more western Ky fans. In glad he committed but he would of had more playing time at the other options
Ive lived in Western KY my whole life. Have coached hundreds of kids in basketball over the years. I cant name one of them that was a Western fan. 90% were UK fans and the ones that werent were UL fans.

Not sure Sheppard will still be here that season. He's too good.
I think Shep is probably a two year guy, but with NIL, who knows? If he stays year two he could be ready to graduate in year 3. Both parents are UK grads, so they probably value that diploma. He might stick around. It’s not like mom and dad are struggling and need money. And he probably is making really good money on NIL and enjoying the college life. Lots of factors with him. He’s not a typical Cal player with one foot already out the door when he got to campus.

Reactions: RunninRichie
So nice to see players that come from a similar background and we can relate to with dreams like many of us get a chance at UK.

Not trying to be racist. Heard Goose Givens say he wasn’t going to UK until he saw some players that looked like him. Just natural.

He and Reed are such good role models at UK for instate kids.

Now get Jasper, Malachi and Gabe .

That would be a UK everybody could really take pride in and pull for!

Last edited:
1. Pretty sure his sights/dreams are bigger than WKU
2. Don't be quick to think he'd automatically get more time at Ole Miss - Coach Beard is notorious for defense-first - tough, lengthy, "dawgs" that get stops and create transition
3. Cincy or UK? Not a tough choice there
I was wrong I will admit it, from a recruit at his levels perspective I though he would want more instant playing time then what he may/may not get at uk

Reactions: CatsFanIL
Ive lived in Western KY my whole life. Have coached hundreds of kids in basketball over the years. I cant name one of them that was a Western fan. 90% were UK fans and the ones that werent were UL fans.
I was wrong, I do know some western fans but Kentucky is the majority

Reactions: tomrain
Trilly Donovan also picks UK for Quaintance.

So nice to see players that come from a similar background and we can relate to with dreams like many of us get a chance at UK.

Not trying to be racist. Heard Goose Givens say he wasn’t going to UK until he saw some players that looked like him. Just natural.

He and Reed are such good role models at UK for instate kids.

Now get Jasper, Malachi and Gabe .

That would be a UK everybody could really take pride in and pull for!
Don't forget Tyran Stokes. Plays at Prolific Prep but is a Louisville kid. Has the potential to be a NBA all-star.

My home base is Clinton and I don't think I've ever seen evidence of another Kentucky school in that area; there's some UT as it's real close.
Same here in Barren County. It's mostly UK with UT fans here and there and every once and a while the lone UL fan.

I don't think UK has ever lost an in state recruit it really wa.nted to any other school than Louisville
Unless you are a transplant, most all kids in state are either UK or UL.
Duke unfortunately in a distant third but they are strong in any upper middle class to affluent suburban schools.
I'm gonna be honest. I rarely ever see any UL fans. I think they have one of the smallest fanbases in the P5.

Yeah I guess but not every kid in this state grows up a UK fan in western Kentucky they are more western Ky fans. In glad he committed but he would of had more playing time at the other options
I grew up in western Kentucky. I did not know many WKU fans. Sure we’d cheer for them when they weren’t playing the Cats, but we bled blue.

Pikeville to Paducah sir.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I think everyone just thinks you're a fool for asserting that his "dream" would be to play for WKU or Murray, because they're geopgraphically closer than Lexington? I mean, come on...
UK represents all of KENTUCKY. That's what I was taught growing up. Louisville represents the city of louisville. Which is why i think it's weird when I see UL fans outside of Louisville.

Yes, he took Western Kentucky to the Final Four, correct? I was about 4 years old, living in Paducah when that happened. Barely remember it.
Yes, he did lead WKU to the final four in 1971. McDaniels averaged 40 PPG at Allen County-Scottsville High, #1 all time scorer at WKU, #1 all time rebounder at WKU and #1 overall pick in the ABA. One of the very best basketball players to ever play in the commonwealth of Kentucky at every level he played.

Your reading comprehension is hogwash. Where did I say any player needed to stay 4 years? Stop reaching. One and done sucks, there's a reason UK fans no longer feel attached to players.
Exactly. Those younger fans who've never experienced that special attachment will never understand it. And ... OAD does suck b/c some just feel like "drive-by" players who we hardly even knew.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Jim McDaniels from Allen County Scottsville and WKU is up there as well. An all time great player.
I remember watching that Western / UK game ... broke my heart when UK lost. If not mistaken, I remember Clarence Glover and Jim Rose on that Western team also, but McDaniels was the man.

I remember watching that Western / UK game ... broke my heart when UK lost. If not mistaken, I remember Clarence Glover and Jim Rose on that Western team also, but McDaniels was the man.
Wasn't all five of their starters from central Kentucky? McDaniels Scottsville, Bailey Glasgow, Glover and Rose, wasn't one Horse Cave? Jerry Dunn originally Gamaliel and transferred to Glasgow.

LOL, this is not true at all. Are you from western KY? Because I am. Most people in western KY will cheer for WKU secondarily (a lot of WKU alumnus in Western KY for sure), but it's laughable to insinuate there are more WKY fans in western KY than UK. That's just not true at all. I'll put it this way -- the local radio stations in Western KY, the stations that broadcast the local high school team sports -- they are all UK affiliates. Western Kentucky is UK country all the way. You'll find more U of L fans than you will WKU fans out there.

Reactions: Padsfs07
Wasn't all five of their starters from central Kentucky? McDaniels Scottsville, Bailey Glasgow, Glover and Rose, wasn't one Horse Cave? Jerry Dunn originally Gamaliel and transferred to Glasgow.
Not sure but that would be an amazing stat. Not sure that’s ever happened before at that level to be so local within 35 minutes of each other. Not to mention a Final Four squad at that.

Reactions: FtWorthCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT