ADVERTISEMENT

Bagley possible reclassification

Put Bagley on this squad and just give us the damn trophy. Doesnt seem likely though and if he did reclass, unfortunately Duke, UCLA, and KU have more shots available. PT wouldnt be an issue for Bagley but there is only one basketball.

From what I've read it seems his eligibility will be down to the wire enough without trying to expedite the process. Usually a reclassification has to start sooner than this, and that's under normal circumstances where the kid wasn't dragged to a fake high school.

I'm not sure why he would reclassify. Isn't he draft eligible straight out of high school?

Example: Hamidou Diallo.

NBA Scouts want to see you perform on the court against higher level competition. Bagley is a phenom, but they're gonna want to see, regardless.

And no, you must be one year out of high school, I'm pretty sure.

I think I would cream my jeans if Bagley reclassified and joined this UK team. Kid is the best high school player since LeBron, and I don't even feel like it's close.

Bagley has been to 3 high schools past 3 years and saw something the other day speculating where he would play next year. There has to be some flags there.?

I think him reclassifying hurts our chances as we have lots of pf types . If he was a center it would be different but I would prefer he stays in next year's class as I think we lose Knox , JV , Richards and Gabriel after this season . I know only Gabriel is a true 4 but still it will be alot less bodies inside.

Reactions: westerncat
Didn't seem to be that way in that read...

Which one: close to Cal? Or reclassifyING?

The former is a fact! The latter is an unknown. I'm assuming you meant about reclassifying because there was nothing either way you could've concluded from that article about his relationship with Cal.

If he reclassified he'll come to UK. If he stays 2018 it's UK or Zona

Obviously, he is not coming here. You all made that clear when I brought up reclassifications in a thread asking if our roster was done.

Too bad.

The problem for Bagley probably isn't the NBA, it's the NCAA. The ideal situation for him is to play in college in 17-18, then go on to be the top pick in the draft. It's (likely) more of a sure thing if he actually plays in college than not, but the college part is probably the most difficult thing in the equation.

The NBA proved pretty conclusively with Thon Maker that they're not going to dig very deep into a kid's academic status. If someone with accreditation is willing to say that Bagley is a HS grad as of June this year, the NBA will let him into the draft next year.

The NCAA, OTOH, is going to dig into the details, and just because someone might say Bagley is graduating in June doesn't mean he's eligible to play college ball in 17-18.

Reactions: BigKari and Aike
Have to be 19
And 1 year removed from HS. Someone with accreditation has to be willing to say the player graduated in June the year before he's drafted. Bagley, for example, must be declared a HS graduate as of next month. Otherwise, he won't be allowed in the draft, even though he will be 19 by the time of next year's NBA draft.

The problem for Bagley probably isn't the NBA, it's the NCAA. The ideal situation for him is to play in college in 17-18, then go on to be the top pick in the draft. It's (likely) more of a sure thing if he actually plays in college than not, but the college part is probably the most difficult thing in the equation.

The NBA proved pretty conclusively with Thon Maker that they're not going to dig very deep into a kid's academic status. If someone with accreditation is willing to say that Bagley is a HS grad as of June this year, the NBA will let him into the draft next year.

The NCAA, OTOH, is going to dig into the details, and just because someone might say Bagley is graduating in June doesn't mean he's eligible to play college ball in 17-18.

Great point. The NBA will look for an excuse to let a 19 year old in, especially one of the caliber of Bagley.

I see absolutely no way that Sean Miller and the very accomodating boosters at Arizona let this kid go anywhere but Zona, just like Ayton was never going anywhere but Arizona.

He'll drag it out and have all the big time schools - Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, UCLA - on his list just to cement his status as a big-time recruit, take a couple of visits, and then pick Arizona.

And 1 year removed from HS. Someone with accreditation has to be willing to say the player graduated in June the year before he's drafted. Bagley, for example, must be declared a HS graduate as of next month. Otherwise, he won't be allowed in the draft, even though he will be 19 by the time of next year's NBA draft.

Actually, only one NBA season has to have lapsed prior to his entering the draft.

So he could technically graduate at the end of the summer and still be eligible for the 2018 draft.

Reactions: mj2k10
Actually, only one NBA season has to have lapsed prior to his entering the draft.

So he could technically graduate at the end of the summer and still be eligible for the 2018 draft.

Did not know that. In Bagley's case, that makes a huge difference, because he can use summer school to fill in any gaps. Might help him meet college requirements too, if that's the direction he wants to go.

Reactions: Aike
Which one: close to Cal? Or reclassifyING?

The former is a fact! The latter is an unknown. I'm assuming you meant about reclassifying because there was nothing either way you could've concluded from that article about his relationship with Cal.

If he reclassified he'll come to UK. If he stays 2018 it's UK or Zona

About the third paragraph it stated Bagley "insisted" he has no favorite. That doesn't ooze his appeal for Cal or UK unless I overlooked something else. (I am just going by that article.)

Sounds to me like Duke trying to get a kid to reclass to save them after missing out on other players (like they did with Thornton)

Put Bagley on this squad and just give us the damn trophy. Doesnt seem likely though and if he did reclass, unfortunately Duke, UCLA, and KU have more shots available. PT wouldnt be an issue for Bagley but there is only one basketball.
Um you know that wouldn't matter here. Karl Towns 20 min a game 10 points per. Number one pick NBA super star. AD 4th in shots taken number one pick NBA super star. The funny thing was in the article saying he would be near the top of this class I would guess number one in the class and probably the number one draft pick

Ultimate situation for UK is keeping several players off this year's squad and inserting Bagley next year (18-19) with some nice sophs around him.
Works with Bol Bol as well who may end up passing Bagley as the number one player in next year's class he is 7ft2 with a 7ft9 wingspan 9ft7 standing reach. He is 50 percent three point shooter an 80 percent ft shooter a good enough handle to lead the break and go thru his legs for a dunk in a HS game against solid competition. Bol Bol is Taylor made for today's NBA game he will probably go number one in the 19 draft regardless if Bagley reclassifies or not.

If Bagley comes here this season you probably guaranteed at least one more guy from this year's squad comes back possibly Jones Gabriel and Washington to go with Baker Green and possibly Alexander who will have a legit shot at one and done if he can hit the 3 this year his size and length at the point maybe to much to pass up.

Put Quickly bol bol and one of the other top 10 guys we are good with and we could be looking really seriously at back to back final fours again and possibly titles. I'm telling yall after 15 the ncaa started to make sure games were called in a way to take key players out of the mix and Cal has decided to build teams that are almost foul trouble proof. You add Bagley and this year's team will have 5 or 6 guys able to play 3 positions and at a high level.

I think him reclassifying hurts our chances as we have lots of pf types . If he was a center it would be different but I would prefer he stays in next year's class as I think we lose Knox , JV , Richards and Gabriel after this season . I know only Gabriel is a true 4 but still it will be alot less bodies inside.
Cal is serious about positionless basketball and Bagley at 6ft10/11 can play center pf or SF. Cal is building Foul proof teams not sure how it is any different than Bamba wanting to play pf. Think about it with Bagley you will have Vanderbilt Knox able to play the 2 3 and 4. Gabriel and Jones 4 and 5 Washington the 4 maybe some small ball 5 and a little sf. Alexander and Diallo the 2 and 3. Bagley 3 4 and 5. Wynard the five and maybe some 4. Even Green and Baker can play the other guard spot in a pinch. Richards I think will only play the 5 although his handle is alot like WCS who played some 4 in 15. But 7 or 8 guys can play 3 positions and at a high level. Gonna be hard for Higgins to get everybody in foul trouble and next season could be more of the same

I see absolutely no way that Sean Miller and the very accomodating boosters at Arizona let this kid go anywhere but Zona, just like Ayton was never going anywhere but Arizona.

He'll drag it out and have all the big time schools - Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, UCLA - on his list just to cement his status as a big-time recruit, take a couple of visits, and then pick Arizona.
Depends on if they have rides or not they are still in the mix for johnson. Ayton would have signed with UK if his academics hadnt of been a red flag to cal. If we hadn't of cooled on him I don't even think he adds Arizona as a school to consider

Depends on if they have rides or not they are still in the mix for johnson. Ayton would have signed with UK if his academics hadnt of been a red flag to cal. If we hadn't of cooled on him I don't even think he adds Arizona as a school to consider

I know some might think this is just something Kentucky fans made up, but i remember a time when Kentucky and Cal was all Ayton wanted to talk about while talking recruiting. I don't think Ayton ends up at Arizona if Cal thought he could actually play the kid at Kentucky. I don't know much about Bagley's recruitment, but i do know the kid likes Cal a lot. If you add Bagley to our roster for next season, good luck to the rest of the nation. Ayton as Arizona is probably the most talented college basketball player for next season, but if Bagley wants to play college ball a year early, Ayton won't be the best player next season. Bagley has the size to play whatever spot on the floor you need him to play in college. While it's true we are loaded with forwards already, Bagley wouldn't see it that way. The dude knows he would be the most talented player no matter what court he decides to step on. Bagley is one of the most talented players coming out of highschool in a long time,but it seems it would be too good to be true type of situation for Cal and Kentucky to land the kid this coming season. If the kid actually wanted to play college basketball, it would be hard to beat Cal for this kid.

Reactions: Dablueman
I know some might think this is just something Kentucky fans made up, but i remember a time when Kentucky and Cal was all Ayton wanted to talk about while talking recruiting. I don't think Ayton ends up at Arizona if Cal thought he could actually play the kid at Kentucky. I don't know much about Bagley's recruitment, but i do know the kid likes Cal a lot. If you add Bagley to our roster for next season, good luck to the rest of the nation. Ayton as Arizona is probably the most talented college basketball player for next season, but if Bagley wants to play college ball a year early, Ayton won't be the best player next season. Bagley has the size to play whatever spot on the floor you need him to play in college. While it's true we are loaded with forwards already, Bagley wouldn't see it that way. The dude knows he would be the most talented player no matter what court he decides to step on. Bagley is one of the most talented players coming out of highschool in a long time,but it seems it would be too good to be true type of situation for Cal and Kentucky to land the kid this coming season. If the kid actually wanted to play college basketball, it would be hard to beat Cal for this kid.
Not sure if this has been brought up in the thread, but the Ayton and Bagley issues are related. Ayton transferred to the same high school as Bagley just before the institutional problems there came to light. Bagley immediately transferred to a different school, and Ayton stayed. The school changed some things pretty quickly to get on a better footing, so I'm not sure who is worse off, the guy who left with 2-3 years to go or the guy who is graduating from there.

Not sure if this has been brought up in the thread, but the Ayton and Bagley issues are related. Ayton transferred to the same high school as Bagley just before the institutional problems there came to light. Bagley immediately transferred to a different school, and Ayton stayed. The school changed some things pretty quickly to get on a better footing, so I'm not sure who is worse off, the guy who left with 2-3 years to go or the guy who is graduating from there.
Well I would say the guy who Cal backed off of has it worse off. Cal does not want another Kanter situation and truth be told it's probably best for Ayton as well the odds of him being Eligibile are much better anywhere but with Cal. I would say Bagley removed himself from the situation in time to be in good shape. I wish now we had of stayed in on Ayton and signed him because with Duval going to Duke with similar issues as Ayton. They will almost have to declare Ayton and Preston(another player who was all about uk but cal stayed away from him) eligible if they declare Duval eligible

ADVERTISEMENT