ADVERTISEMENT

Duke gets Bagley, but NCAA has last word on when future NBA lottery pick plays

HICATFAN

All-SEC
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Kailua, Hawaii

Commitment to Duke is the first step, but the next one is the biggest; here's what you need to know

by Matt Norlander

Marvin Bagley III went on national television Monday night, took a No. 35 Duke jersey out of a polka-dot bag -- shoutout to Danny Ferry -- and announced his verbal commitment to Mike Krzyzewski's program.

It's a massive get, obviously. Bagley, now rated the No. 1 recruit in the class of 2017, is so talented he has no business even playing college basketball. "He could start for the Lakers right now," a coach recruiting Bagley said last week. That sentiment is likely shared by many NBA scouts who will book flights to Durham specifically to see Bagley in the coming months. But will they actually see him in games? As Duke fans are rejoicing, national media are tinkering their preseason rankings and Las Vegas is updating national championship odds, let's pause to assess what's next.

Yes, Bagley intends to forgo his scheduled senior year of high school to enroll at Duke and, hopefully, play college basketball in 2017-18. But let's remember that Bagley has no assurance -- yet -- from the NCAA, which will decide his fate. Just because people on TV, Twitter and message boards speak as if Bagley will play next season doesn't necessarily make it so.

Yes, it's quite possible. But Bagley declaring for Duke doesn't change where he was prior to that pledge. Committing to the Blue Devils doesn't magically make his situation go away. Where Bagley sits is in a state of uncertainty because he has not yet been cleared to play this upcoming season.

Bagley reportedly filed paperwork with the NCAA in late July to reclassify from 2018 to 2017, but that application will not process until Bagley's complete transcript is submitted. A source told CBS Sports last week that there was still coursework for him to complete. If that is the case, the NCAA has not yet reviewed Bagley's transcript. Once it does, the initial academic review process begins.

The NCAA will allot itself 10 days to review Bagley's transcript and his academic history. This is not about Bagley's grades, which are said to be good, but about whether he will complete the necessary coursework on an accelerated schedule. He's attended three high schools in as many years, and for a couple of months when he was 15, was home schooled. Bagley's past also includes a stint at Hillcrest Prep in Arizona, a school that in the past has failed to meet NCAA standards for core course requirements.

A source told CBS Sports that it's unlikely the NCAA will take the full 10 days to review Bagley's situation, given he's aiming to get into classes at Duke in a matter of weeks. (Duke's fall semester begins Aug. 28.). Time is very much of the essence, but the big unknown at the moment is how much coursework Bagley has left. From there, will his transcript suffice? Here's how Bagley will find out: The NCAA sends him an email, he logs into an encrypted site that shows whether he qualifies. There is the possibility his transcript comes up short, ruling him ineligible to start the semester. He may qualify, on time, and be cleared to play for Duke for the first game of the season (Nov. 10 vs. Elon). But if not, it would be no surprise.

He will either be deemed a full qualifier (immediate clearance, playing for Duke right away), an academic redshirt (can practice but cannot play in games; Bagley could appeal this decision) or a non-qualifier (would not even be able to be on scholarship; seen as the least likely outcome).

Duke has overcome some tough eligibility cases in the past. Perhaps it will do the same here. If so, the Blue Devils will enter the 2017-18 season with similar hype to 2016-17. That team was ranked No. 1 in the preseason, wound up an uneven 28-9 and lost in the second round of the NCAA Tournament to South Carolina. If Bagley does wind up stalled in his quest to play, then Duke faces a repeat of last season, when 2017 first-rounder’s Jayson Tatum and Harry Giles -- because of injury, not eligibility -- weren't available to start of the season.

Bagley is a program-changing player. If he's on the court, Duke will be the top story in the sport. If he's not, his end game remains the 2018 NBA Draft. Bagley could wind up failing to clear the NCAA's bar in time, but finishing up his coursework later this season. If that happens, he'll be on the draft board come June. He's now the favorite to go first overall, and the truth is, though college basketball would be more compelling with him in it, Bagley may not even need to play a game at Duke to keep his spot atop the 2018 crop.

What do you guys think? Is there a possibility that Bagley won't qualify?

AlohaCat

"Duke has overcome some tough eligibility cases in the past. Perhaps it will do the same here".

This is all you need to read. I'll be shocked if he's not playing the whole season. K wouldn't have invested so much into this if he didn't know for sure it was going to pay off.

Yeah, not holding my breath. If this were uk he would not see one minute of action. Since it's puke he will be on the deans list with a 4.0. I would go into the season assuming that he's going to play because puke will make sure of that. I hope he is a huge ball hog like Durant and him, bolden and Allen all go out and get busted at a gay bar drinking underage.

Commitment to Duke is the first step, but the next one is the biggest; here's what you need to know

by Matt Norlander

Marvin Bagley III went on national television Monday night, took a No. 35 Duke jersey out of a polka-dot bag -- shoutout to Danny Ferry -- and announced his verbal commitment to Mike Krzyzewski's program.

It's a massive get, obviously. Bagley, now rated the No. 1 recruit in the class of 2017, is so talented he has no business even playing college basketball. "He could start for the Lakers right now," a coach recruiting Bagley said last week. That sentiment is likely shared by many NBA scouts who will book flights to Durham specifically to see Bagley in the coming months. But will they actually see him in games? As Duke fans are rejoicing, national media are tinkering their preseason rankings and Las Vegas is updating national championship odds, let's pause to assess what's next.

Yes, Bagley intends to forgo his scheduled senior year of high school to enroll at Duke and, hopefully, play college basketball in 2017-18. But let's remember that Bagley has no assurance -- yet -- from the NCAA, which will decide his fate. Just because people on TV, Twitter and message boards speak as if Bagley will play next season doesn't necessarily make it so.

Yes, it's quite possible. But Bagley declaring for Duke doesn't change where he was prior to that pledge. Committing to the Blue Devils doesn't magically make his situation go away. Where Bagley sits is in a state of uncertainty because he has not yet been cleared to play this upcoming season.

Bagley reportedly filed paperwork with the NCAA in late July to reclassify from 2018 to 2017, but that application will not process until Bagley's complete transcript is submitted. A source told CBS Sports last week that there was still coursework for him to complete. If that is the case, the NCAA has not yet reviewed Bagley's transcript. Once it does, the initial academic review process begins.

The NCAA will allot itself 10 days to review Bagley's transcript and his academic history. This is not about Bagley's grades, which are said to be good, but about whether he will complete the necessary coursework on an accelerated schedule. He's attended three high schools in as many years, and for a couple of months when he was 15, was home schooled. Bagley's past also includes a stint at Hillcrest Prep in Arizona, a school that in the past has failed to meet NCAA standards for core course requirements.

A source told CBS Sports that it's unlikely the NCAA will take the full 10 days to review Bagley's situation, given he's aiming to get into classes at Duke in a matter of weeks. (Duke's fall semester begins Aug. 28.). Time is very much of the essence, but the big unknown at the moment is how much coursework Bagley has left. From there, will his transcript suffice? Here's how Bagley will find out: The NCAA sends him an email, he logs into an encrypted site that shows whether he qualifies. There is the possibility his transcript comes up short, ruling him ineligible to start the semester. He may qualify, on time, and be cleared to play for Duke for the first game of the season (Nov. 10 vs. Elon). But if not, it would be no surprise.

He will either be deemed a full qualifier (immediate clearance, playing for Duke right away), an academic redshirt (can practice but cannot play in games; Bagley could appeal this decision) or a non-qualifier (would not even be able to be on scholarship; seen as the least likely outcome).

Duke has overcome some tough eligibility cases in the past. Perhaps it will do the same here. If so, the Blue Devils will enter the 2017-18 season with similar hype to 2016-17. That team was ranked No. 1 in the preseason, wound up an uneven 28-9 and lost in the second round of the NCAA Tournament to South Carolina. If Bagley does wind up stalled in his quest to play, then Duke faces a repeat of last season, when 2017 first-rounder’s Jayson Tatum and Harry Giles -- because of injury, not eligibility -- weren't available to start of the season.

Bagley is a program-changing player. If he's on the court, Duke will be the top story in the sport. If he's not, his end game remains the 2018 NBA Draft. Bagley could wind up failing to clear the NCAA's bar in time, but finishing up his coursework later this season. If that happens, he'll be on the draft board come June. He's now the favorite to go first overall, and the truth is, though college basketball would be more compelling with him in it, Bagley may not even need to play a game at Duke to keep his spot atop the 2018 crop.

AlohaCat
NCAA would approve Charles Manson if K wanted him in a Dook uniform.

Who cares either way. Once again, Duke will be over hyped from the usual suspects in the media, we will hear how great the program is, how K gets the most out of his guys, how great the ACC is, meanwhile we will all be ready to hurl. Yes my friends, another year of Duke and Everybody else.. Oh yeah, GO CATS!

Yeah, not holding my breath. If this were uk he would not see one minute of action. Since it's puke he will be on the deans list with a 4.0. I would go into the season assuming that he's going to play because puke will make sure of that. I hope he is a huge ball hog like Durant and him, bolden and Allen all go out and get busted at a gay bar drinking underage.

I think you have Duke confused with UNC here.

However, your last sentence could be spot on.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
If he can find the campus, he will be eligible.

Then we move the campus...

giphy.gif

I'm just glad that -- with another one-and-done going to Duke -- the national media will be all over Coach K. They are likely to roast him for good this time for ruining college basketball. It's gonna be fun watching all the commentators and media pundits rip him and his program apart the entire season. Can't wait!

by Matt Norlander

AlohaCat
I'm gonna agree with almost everyone else. He signed with Duke. He will almost certainly be eligible whereas if he had signed with Kentucky, he would almost certainly been ruled ineligible.

Part of me still thinks the ACC is no slouch, and there are plenty of ACC teams that will have something to say about Duke's sure-fire roster. They will lose a few games just like they did last year..

Then again, they lose a shit ton last year, limped their way through conference play, and simply because they won the ACCT they were given a #2 seed...

There's almost no way they aren't a #2 seed, probably an automatic #1.

Maybe just buy him a bunch of uber-expensive jewelry and tell him not to talk to the authorities.....

.....wait, that was a different Duke hypocrisy.

He could end up like Diallo, where he joins the team in December. Finishes up HS classes online from Durham. He would miss 11 games.

Committing to the Blue Devils doesn't magically make his situation go away

I copied this line while reading the article. Apparently a lot of you noticed it as well.

That exactly what is going to happen. I'll be surprised if we actually even hear a decision. He will prob just suit up on Nov 10th and K will dare the NCAA to do anything

I am very much going to watch the NCAA approval process on him. I encourage everyone to do the same.

As some have noted in other threads, it may be that he may suit up in the second half of the season OR not at all.

AlohaCat

I'll be the lone voice of dissent. The NCAA will not approve him.

He attended 3 high schools in 3 different states in addition to home-school and a fake school (no not UNC). How is he somehow going to skip his senior year without attending and school and playing basketball non-stop across the country? I don't know what coursework he is planning on submitting, but I believe the NCAA has requirements on actual classroom attendance/lecture style courses. I can't imagine there is an approved/accredited school where he was taking classes and passing off his Senior year.

Combine all of that with the late date of the application and enrollment starting at Duke in a few weeks. I'll say this was a publicity stunt to raise his profile and confirm his eligibility for the 2018 draft. He will be playing for the Adelaide 36ers this season before he ever plays for the Duke Blue Devils.

He attended 3 high schools in 3 different states in addition to home-school and a fake school (no not UNC). How is he somehow going to skip his senior year without attending and school and playing basketball non-stop across the country? I don't know what coursework he is planning on submitting, but I believe the NCAA has requirements on actual classroom attendance/lecture style courses. I can't imagine there is an approved/accredited school where he was taking classes and passing off his Senior year.

Combine all of that with the late date of the application and enrollment starting at Duke in a few weeks. I'll say this was a publicity stunt to raise his profile and confirm his eligibility for the 2018 draft. He will be playing for the Adelaide 36ers this season before he ever plays for the Duke Blue Devils.

Are you assuming Krzyzewski is aware of this and is go is willing to go along with it? He doesn't seem like that kind of guy.

Are you assuming Krzyzewski is aware of this and is go is willing to go along with it? He doesn't seem like that kind of guy.
Coach K got played!!!!1!1!!1!

I don't 100% believe it. I just wanted to argue the other side.

He will play. I'm willing to bet on it. The NCAA is all about making money. Bagley is just another meal ticket.

Nobody get your hopes up. He will be able to play immediately. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind.

I mean it's TOTALLY not sketchy or suspect that a kid who went to several high schools (even if we if ignore that ) was able to not only "reclassify " but also be accepted into a rather prestigious university... 2 weeks before clases start. Lol ok

Despite all that.. it's Duke and K and the NCAA and K take turns giving 180 degree reach arounds so I'm positive he'll be eligible immediately

I would love to sell you some oceanfront property near Nashville if you believe this will happen

He'll play in the first and all of their games. What surprised me was him committing to Duke. I really thought he'd go to USC or Arizona, and he would have made either of them a title contender as well. The western Wildcats already are. I'm tempted to think bad thoughts, but since I know so many think those things about UK I can't go there.

ADVERTISEMENT