ADVERTISEMENT

Mitch Barnhart signs new deal

Lol he hired Billy Clyde and Joker and you guys are happy he got an extension? What has he done to deserve that? Building a solid rifle program?
Well, by this thought process, anytime someone makes a mistake they should be fired. I guess Cal should have been fired in 2010 when he decided the strategy to beat West Virginia was to not pound it inside, but to shoot a bunch of threes.

Name a team or sport that hasn’t greatly benefited from the mega deals? I know people want to ignore this and pretend Mitch has done this from scratch while broke, but it’s not true.

Mitch has worked for peanuts at UK and very few programs around the country have shown interest. If he’s so great, why? Kansas could have had him for cheap, and taken U.K.’s AD away who has connections to them. They said no thanks. You would think since he’s so great they would have jumped at it.. nope.

He’s a hatchet man and big time coaches do not want to work for him.

Cal sure didn’t
I agree with many of your posts during the course of the year but you are way off on this about Mitch..Just way off. Haters are gonna believe what they want and they are gonna hate.

How is it that UK basketball fans would have a problem with this? Other than a 2 year failed experiment with a mentally ill coach, Mitch has been very good to basketball.

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
The guys who were involved? Lee Todd, Mitch Barnhart, Mike Pratt, and Rob Mullens. Which one of them do you talk to and which one said Barnhart is lying and never wanted Cal? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Barnhart hasnt spoken on the record on this and couldn't have lied, but Pratt and Todd have and according to what they say, you're full of shit.

You named one that I have talked to. lol.

MB basically apologized to the base for having to hire Cal during his own effing hiring announcement presser! .

This is the funniest part. They still weren't able to see it.

Anyone who doesn't understand Mitch wanted no part of Cal is 100% uninformed. He had to be sold on it and his job was on the line. Other men pushed it to happen, Mitch isn't even over basketball today. lol.

Unreal that people can't get it.

@kev69 dude if you met Barnhart and knew how he felt about Kentucky people in general I promise you'd want to punch him in the face not make nice. He's terrible, in every way. And he's limited us in major ways all while having the most resources of any AD in school history.

You named one that I have talked to. lol.
They were the only 4 people there in Chicago when Cal was interviewed. Are you gonna say which one you talked to that said MB lied or are we just supposed to ignore all the facts that are public and take your word for it.

Time to get over it.
I am over it! Thanks! My expectations are sufficiently lowered-the question is..what exorbitant sum is enough to pay for these lowered expectations? Despite the collapse of the SEC east, Football is still kind of floundering and hasn't been over .500 in the SEC in i don't know...seems like forever. We still have a losing streak to Florida that would embarrass most Division 1 schools, even though they've been through a number of coaching changes. Of the things I even occasionally watch, women's basketball imploded and was on the verge of disaster last season, and it's hard to imagine much better this year. Baseball perennially disappoints (didn't even make the Tournament this year). Even the storied men's basketball program-one of the greatest college athletic programs in the history of any sport-seems to be losing a little interest in terms of attendance and just the number of people i know that are really interested in it. Now let me be fair, I don't know how much, if any, the above is Mitch's responsibility, and in my mind, he deserves generous credit for UK not falling into the cheating issues that have plagued other schools. Still, $195,000 raise for the quality of the product that is being produced under his watch seems high to me.

Reactions: thepip
There is a lot more to disliking Mitch than the bad hirings and noninvolvement of Cal's hiring.

There are many local boosters who have their own reasons and most are similar in nature.

I'll let the fans who have NEVER had one personal dealing with the athletics association keep on believing only what they see and read, which is only normal.

But the guy is far from the image he tries so hard to project to the average fan.

They were the only 4 people there in Chicago when Cal was interviewed. Are you gonna say which one you talked to that said MB lied or are we just supposed to ignore all the facts that are public and take your word for it.

You believe PR media reports [laughing]

When cal makes a decision that causes UK to be average in basketball for 7 years then yeah I’d want him to retire. And yeah the first 7 years we were blah under Mitch.
Yeah, and if he came in and fired Tubby, how do you think that would have gone over? Why are you so focused on a hire that happened more than 11 years ago? Move on man.
I hope everyone improves their job performance each year they get more experience.

BTW, I do like this picture though...
images

There is a lot more to disliking Mitch than the bad hirings and noninvolvement of Cal's hiring.

There are many local boosters who have their own reasons and most are similar in nature.

I'll let the fans who have NEVER had one personal dealing with the athletics association keep on believing only what they see and read, which is only normal.

But the guy is far from the image he tries so hard to project to the average fan.
BrianPoe, do you believe Mitch had his hands tied when it came to football?

So, given that he must leave the room when KY is discussed during the selection process, just what the hell did you expect him to do? List just two well documented examples where Mitch was pushed over.

This is what happens when a U6 fan pretends to be a cat fan.

Yeah and UNCheat didn’t give fake classes. Sean miller didn’t pay for Ayton, Higgins is a fantastic official. That’s your world huh??? You have no clue how a seeding committee works. You read the NCAA talking points and slurp it like it’s CNN. You know where was Barney last year when cal came out to discuss the Bam allegations?? Where the hell was he when Higgins was jobbing us?? It took the lame ass a week to defend Benny after being unjustly tossed and that was after immense pressure from fans. Yeah he’s a pushover he’s a terrible advocate for our two major programs and any fool to load up and over pay stoops is no doubt a pushover.

When you have no arguement pull out the “you’re a U6 fan” card. Shows your hgh intellect

Reactions: crestcat
Yeah and UNCheat didn’t give fake classes. Sean miller didn’t pay for Ayton, Higgins is a fantastic official. That’s your world huh??? You have no clue how a seeding committee works. You read the NCAA talking points and slurp it like it’s CNN. You know where was Barney last year when cal came out to discuss the Bam allegations?? Where the hell was he when Higgins was jobbing us?? It took the lame ass a week to defend Benny after being unjustly tossed and that was after immense pressure from fans. Yeah he’s a pushover he’s a terrible advocate for our two major programs and any fool to load up and over pay stoops is no doubt a pushover.

When you have no arguement pull out the “you’re a U6 fan” card. Shows your hgh intellect

ROFLMAO. Yeah Mitch should’a run in the floor guns blazing right? Dude, you are just a Whitney little boy that has no idea how men have to do their jobs. All the reasoning of U6 finest.

Clearly, I’m not the one who is woefully ignorant about how seeding works. But please, give us more of your dazzling buffoonery. Quite entertaining.

I believe Mike Pratt and Lee Todd.

No you believe damage control public articles because like Brian said, you have No clue any other way. Pratt has said a lot of things that I can guarantee you.

Believe what you want. I'm sure you believe recruiting articles too.

Reactions: crestcat
I’m sure the bluehairs are pleased. He did wipe their a*%, I mean seat for them
That's BS you don't know what the hell you're talking about... Those worst seats and the baseball stadium and they weren't just those of the blue hair people should shut people should shut the hell up when don't know what they're talking about

Mitch tied his own hands. He's a control freak who thinks he's the brightest in the room, a lot like Comey to be honest. Believes he's the creation of morality and everyone else is a retard.

And he's not that good as an AD so in the end it bites his ass and he needs to be bailed out in some way, hello Cal.

My least favorite person at UK by far. When he leaves it will be a great day. It will be retirement though, because no one will have him even though he worked for a fraction of a good AD's pay for years.

No one ever stops to think....never has a school gone after him hard at any point. There's a reason.

No you believe damage control public articles because like Brian said, you have No clue any other way. Pratt has said a lot of things that I can guarantee you.

Believe what you want. I'm sure you believe recruiting articles too.
Why are you being so vague? What exactly did Pratt say?

Why are you being so vague? What exactly did Pratt say?

I've said it before and you and I have ran this crap into the ground. You believe non of it, you are morality man everyone else is w liar. You've got a diluted sense of self and aren't worth it.

@kev69 dude if you met Barnhart and knew how he felt about Kentucky people in general I promise you'd want to punch him in the face not make nice. He's terrible, in every way. And he's limited us in major ways all while having the most resources of any AD in school history.
that's funny I bet I have had extensive conversations with Mitch on a half a dozen or more times and I am not somebody who has a lot of money to donate to the program... He has never been anything more than cordial to me and answered all of the questions and even agree to check in some of the suggestions that I thought would help the program and the fans in general... So I question if you know what the hell you're talking about...FYI, a couple of things I suggested ended up being implinented, now whether my suggestion had any influence I doubt it.
I do know for a fact that one of my son's was doing some part-time work during the summer months a few years back and they did some work on Mitch Barnhart boat cleaning it up, waxing and what have you. Said he and Mr. Bernhardt got to talk for a little bit and he told him what large UK FANs he his father were and he gave him a very nice tip.

Last edited:
Name a team or sport that hasn’t greatly benefited from the mega deals? I know people want to ignore this and pretend Mitch has done this from scratch while broke, but it’s not true.

Mitch has worked for peanuts at UK and very few programs around the country have shown interest. If he’s so great, why? Kansas could have had him for cheap, and taken U.K.’s AD away who has connections to them. They said no thanks. You would think since he’s so great they would have jumped at it.. nope.

He’s a hatchet man and big time coaches do not want to work for him.

Cal sure didn’t
I’m not ignoring the fact that he has more money to work with. I also realize that every other program in the country does too. He doesn’t all of a sudden have all of this revenue coming in that other programs don’t and this drastic competitive advantage. If you were to look back 20 years ago, we were probably in a similar situation in terms of how our revenue compared to others around us and the competitive advantage it gave us.

Mitch absolutely has areas where he is weak. His recent contracts for Stoops have been way two one sided, his inability to sign BCG to a formal contract, his perceived reluctance to pressure the University into moving forward with projects prior to recent years, his perceived lack of social skills to connect with the every day fan to name a few.

Mitch also has some strengths. Without a doubt he has surrounded himself with great hires on the administrative side throughout his tenure (AD’s at Oregon, Florida, Mississippi State, Minnesota and Bama were all hired my Mitch before moving on to be AD’s), running a clean program (name me another competitor be program that hasn’t been on probation since 2002), improving facilities through creativity (giving $60 million to the Science facility to utilize a large portion of University bond debt for athletics) to name a few.

Also, the Cal doesn’t even report to him argument holds pennies in my book. It’s very normal for basketball or football coaches to report to a deputy director of athletics or associate AD. The structure in place here is no different than a lot of big time programs.

Is he the best AD in the country? Absolutely not. But, I’d also put him against just about anyone that has been at their program 10+ years and the success they have had in relation to the program they took over.

Morg, you definitely tell it like it is. You’ve always been straight up, so I’m not going to start doubting you.
I’ll take your word for it that you have much more inside information about Mitch than I do. ( I have zero inside info on him)

I think I’ll just excuse myself from this thread.

I’m not ignoring the fact that he has more money to work with. I also realize that every other program in the country does too. He doesn’t all of a sudden have all of this revenue coming in that other programs don’t and this drastic competitive advantage. If you were to look back 20 years ago, we were probably in a similar situation in terms of how our revenue compared to others around us and the competitive advantage it gave us.

Mitch absolutely has areas where he is weak. His recent contracts for Stoops have been way two one sided, his inability to sign BCG to a formal contract, his perceived reluctance to pressure the University into moving forward with projects prior to recent years, his perceived lack of social skills to connect with the every day fan to name a few.

Mitch also has some strengths. Without a doubt he has surrounded himself with great hires on the administrative side throughout his tenure (AD’s at Oregon, Florida, Mississippi State, Minnesota and Bama were all hired my Mitch before moving on to be AD’s), running a clean program (name me another competitor be program that hasn’t been on probation since 2002), improving facilities through creativity (giving $60 million to the Science facility to utilize a large portion of University bond debt for athletics) to name a few.

Also, the Cal doesn’t even report to him argument holds pennies in my book. It’s very normal for basketball or football coaches to report to a deputy director of athletics or associate AD. The structure in place here is no different than a lot of big time programs.

Is he the best AD in the country? Absolutely not. But, I’d also put him against just about anyone that has been at their program 10+ years and the success they have had in relation to the program they took over.

I agree with a few points and not some others. Mitch isn't over basketball because Cal didn't want to work through him. I believe that 100%. Its not the situation that you're describing.

In my opinion when he retires it will be one of the greatest days in the history of Kentucky athletics.

Reactions: bthaunert
Morg, you definitely tell it like it is. You’ve always been straight up, so I’m not going to start doubting you.
I’ll take your word for it that you have much more inside information about Mitch than I do. ( I have zero inside info on him)

I think I’ll just excuse myself from this thread.

I just kind if know your style and I think you'd hate the guy. But you're entitled to your opinion. If you think he's done a good job hey.....we aren't Louisville.

that's funny I bet I have had extensive conversations with Mitch on a half a dozen or more times and I am not somebody who has a lot of money to donate to the program... He has never been anything more than cordial to me and answered all of the questions and even agree to check in some of the suggestions that I thought would help the program and the fans in general... So I question if you know what the hell you're talking about...FYI, a couple of things I suggested ended up being implinented, now whether my suggestion had any influence I doubt it.
I do know for a fact that one of my son's was doing some part-time work during the summer months a few years back and they did some work on Mitch Barnhart boat cleaning it up, waxing and what have you. Said he and Mr. Bernhardt got to talk for a little bit and he told him what large UK FANs he his father we're and he gave him a very nice tip.

Lol just question him a few times. You'll watch him turn.

And really that's not what I'm talking about.

I agree with a few points and not some others. Mitch isn't over basketball because Cal didn't want to work through him. I believe that 100%. Its not the situation that you're describing.

In my opinion when he retires it will be one of the greatest days in the history of Kentucky athletics.
How about you take a walk around campus take a long look at what all has transpired since he has been the ad at the University of Kentucky... His years at UK have been the best in UK history!!!!

I just kind if know your style and I think you'd hate the guy. But you're entitled to your opinion. If you think he's done a good job hey.....we aren't Louisville.
My opinion can change on information I learn. Like I said, you’re as straight up as they come, and if you tell me if I was aware of how he does things, and how he treats people, that I would want to punch him, I believe you.

That's a great question, and I'm not sure exactly what context in which you are asking but several factors were in play.

In addition to the football issues in overcoming Bassett, Tubby had just completed his 3rd straight 10 loss season. There was no doubt that people wanted Football cleaned up but basketball needed to be addressed.

Lucky for Mitch, Tubby went on to have his 2nd best season the next year before failing off.

I knew Larry Ivy pretty well back then, not to mention that both Guy and Brent Pease lived a few houses down from me. It was no secret that Mitch wanted to clean house football-wise. Guy Morriss was going to be gone no matter what. The major salary issue Guy had was for his assistants which were the least paid in the conference and we just went 7-5.

Thanks to Mitch's genius-ness we won only 10 games the next 3 years.

But this was a bit covered up by Tubby being upset by Marquette, UAB, and then losing to MSU before back to back 13 and 12 loss seasons. All of this overshadowing football in some respects.

The next 3 years Brooks was finally able to get things together without much support whatsoever from Mitch who was stuck at the time with the Billy Clyde scenario.

It can be considered that with basketball on the downswing and pressure from bball boosters Mitch may have had his hands tied. (The opposite being true during Cal and Joker)

Although Mitch handled Guy Morriss terribly as well the search for a new coach. He also eventually promoted Joker and most definitely did not aid the football program whatsoever with needed upgrades during Brooks and Phillips, while all secondary non-revenue sports saw new coaches and much more attention.

Mark Stoops actually pushed for the job himself and we had no one else beating the door down, nor was Mitch a very good salesman for FB or BB HC's obviously. Hate Jurich all you want, and its easy to do, but the guy knows how to pitch his school and convince solid coaches to come.

In my opinion, the positives of Mitch's term is based upon 2 things... the SEC money deal and Cal really wanting to come coach here.

Without those our football team would still be using a corner of the field house for a recruiting room with who knows who as a HC and I shutter to think who would be heading the bball program.

The UK athletic association has always been a bit arrogant but it went to new levels under Mitch and Sandy (who does way more than just eligibility), the unnecessary trademark wars, lies to vendors, treatment of several individuals, the absolute stupidity and ignorance regarding the internet, and the quickness of attacking anyone with attorneys as a first option with a strategy of out spending those who disagree has really caused a negative attitude to those on the administrative side of things.

I apologize for getting off topic...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT