ADVERTISEMENT

Mitch vs Boosters

Just try and hire Donovan and he can get some guys he trusts to come in as assistants and get a jumpstart on things until Donovan's season is done. Then we aren't behind the 8 ball and he can still look good by not abandoning his current team. I feel like with Drew it will be like the Tubby years minus having a championship caliber team handed to him. We'll be calling him double digit loss Drew.

I first was all in on Donovan. Then I thought of logistics. He knows non of the players out there. Knows nothing of NIL. No players can follow him th UK. How would he assemble a team over the summer? Plus he would be behind from the start.
That's what assistants are for. Buy the best college assistants to get out there and recruit until Donovan is done and joins them.

If DeBoer won the NC do you think he still makes that move? If he won back to back do you think he makes that move? Obviously I disagree and think he'd be at UW.

Winning is winning. When you proclaim how you are part of a program that has "Run College Basketball for the last 25-30 yrs"....usually means you value winning at a level that matters quite a bit and think where you are winning is held in high esteem.

Look I get it, you want hope that a dream scenario unfolds. It would be fantastic to be wrong but was told it's not happening. So I process different. Let's see them move to people who want this job and want to get back to the point they can take elite programs on and beat them to get back to Final Four and win National Championships.
Again I don’t think he’s coming here lol leaving after back to back is tough. I’m assuming Scott drew is going to be the guy.

That's what assistants are for. Buy the best college assistants to get out there and recruit until Donovan is done and joins them.
Do you think Donovan would have time to hire assistants when he’s preparing for the playoffs?

And just because Donovan hasn’t heard from UK doesn’t mean his agent was contacted about the opening. I’ve said it before the agents are the ones with the initial contact and the early discussions are between the school and the agents and then the agents talk to their client.

This happens all the time in all level of sports.

Now when someone comes out and says they aren’t interested that’s a different story. Especially when they laugh at the notion of coming to coach UK.

With that said I don’t know what the issue with Drew is, he is winning big at Baylor. The same Baylor that has been a graveyard for football coaches. The same Baylor who’s men’s basketball program nearly was shut down over a murder. And lastly the same Baylor that is in Waco Texas.

The job he has done at Baylor is pretty amazing considering the circumstances. Have any of you folks that are saying that it doesn’t matter that he is in Waco ever been to Waco? It’s not a great place to even visit.

If they really have a chance with Hurley but go with Drew because he is cozy with Mitch I just give up.
Well it is true that he only wants to stay a couple years before the NBA jump that certainly changes my mind a little bit. Do you really want to go through all of this again in 2 years? I would have to have a huge buyout in the contract if Hurley takes the job and that in itself might be enough to keep him from taking the job.

“Boosters” We have one of the worst NIL’s in the SEC but we have all these powerful boosters. None of these “boosters” have their name on any building besides Joe Craft and y’all think the have power? Y’all can’t even name a booster outside of Craft but they have all this power. Too funny.

When someone says “The boosters” ask them specifically what boosters they’re talking about and they will either run or say Matt Jones didn’t specify.
I know it’s scary that we are getting a real coach and that UofL got their little mid major guy. It’s all gonna be ok, we will continue to beat y’all like a rented mule no matter how many boosters or what kinda coach we have little brother.

(Don't know why the OP is allowed to cut and paste content directly from other sources)

It seems to be that the list of coaches in order of preference is this:

Hurley
Drew
Donovan

I agree with that order and those as the top 3. If we get one of them, it will be a home run for UK and a breath of fresh air over not having a coach for the last 5-10 years. Any of those 3 would also be the most qualified coach that UK has ever hired.

Reactions: PrinceofPain
(Don't know why the OP is allowed to cut and paste content directly from other sources)

It seems to be that the list of coaches in order of preference is this:

Hurley
Drew
Donovan

I agree with that order and those as the top 3. If we get one of them, it will be a home run for UK and a breath of fresh air over not having a coach for the last 5-10 years. Any of those 3 would also be the most qualified coach that UK has ever hired.
Swap Drew and Donovan... I dont understand why Billy D. is under him. Somebody still butthurt he turned us down before.... thatbwas 15 years ago! Just because the hot blonde with double d's turns you down 15 times doesn't mean you turn her down when she accepts your offer on the 16th time!

Swap Drew and Donovan... I dont understand why Billy D. is under him. Somebody still butthurt he turned us down before.... thatbwas 15 years ago! Just because the hot blonde with double d's turns you down 15 times doesn't mean you turn her down when she accepts your offer on the 16th time!
He's under Drew because he's more risky.

He's been out of college for 10 years. He hasn't accomplished much in almost 20. Even in the NBA he's been just a bit above average.

Third on the list is right for him because he has more potential downside.

He's under Drew because he's more risky.

He's been out of college for 10 years. He hasn't accomplished much in almost 20. Even in the NBA he's been just a bit above average.

Third on the list is right for him because he has more potential downside.
He has been better than cal or pitino in the nba.... guy can flat out coach... Drew is just another Cal type coach with a boring personality. Billy will win a title here.

I can’t believe I’m saying this but for the first time in my life, I trust Mitch to make this call. Can’t put my finger on it exactly, I think I’m picking up on the fact that Mitch seems to have completely served Calipari his ass and I don’t think he wanted to give Calipari that contract anyway. He might have been not only right the entire time, but schemed the living f out of Calipari which isn’t easy to do.

We might need to trust his judgement here.

He has been better than cal or pitino in the nba.... guy can flat out coach... Drew is just another Cal type coach with a boring personality. Billy will win a title here.
Yeah - he's been better than they were in the NBA, but they both weren't very good.

I stand by what I said. He's the riskiest of the coaches on the list. He might do phenomenal here, but he hasn't accomplished much in a long time and he's been out of college forever. And heck, he might not even want to come back to college so it may even be a moot point.

I can’t believe I’m saying this but for the first time in my life, I trust Mitch to make this call. Can’t put my finger on it exactly, I think I’m picking up on the fact that Mitch seems to have completely served Calipari his ass and I don’t think he wanted to give Calipari that contract anyway. He might have been not only right the entire time, but schemed the living f out of Calipari which isn’t easy to do.

We might need to trust his judgement here.
Yep - and his list of (in order)
Hurley
Drew
Donovan

...is the right list. The only other additions would be Wright and Oats, but both seem to be genuinely not interested. I think it's a fairly safe bet our coach will either be Hurley or Drew.

Reactions: flacat22
Yeah - he's been better than they were in the NBA, but they both weren't very good.

I stand by what I said. He's the riskiest of the coaches on the list. He might do phenomenal here, but he hasn't accomplished much in a long time and he's been out of college forever. And heck, he might not even want to come back to college so it may even be a moot point.
You have to ask him and barney hasn't even reached out.... anyone with half a brain knows he is a better option than drew... I like him better than the uconn guy as a fit for UK but that is just me.

He’s always been like this. Guy wants to make the safe hire and coast into retirement.
That is a really dumb statement. You have no clue what Mitch is doing now. He got rid of Cal for us didnt he? Give the man a break and wait till he gives out the real info.

That is a really dumb statement. You have no clue what Mitch is doing now. He got rid of Cal for us didnt he? Give the man a break and wait till he gives out the real info.
Got rid of Cal? You are as lost as you can get. Cal could’ve stayed another 3 years. He left all on his own.

You really have no idea on this. Mitch pulled this off and saved the university a ton of money. There's a reason he's the AD and you aren't.
Thinking Mitch had anything to do with this a week after he did that couples counseling video is border line insanity

Thinking Mitch had anything to do with this a week after he did that couples counseling video is border line insanity
Hardly. You have no idea what happened. I believe that video was to let Cal save face and not look like he was fired. Behind the scenes, I think Mitch put every screw to Cal that was within his power to do so and made it uncomfortable enough that Cal took the first acceptable job open.

Reactions: bigbluedon
I just don't find anything impressive about Drew.Actually I see a lot of Cal in his results
Yep...just look at season-to-season results. Yes he's had some success, but no enough to get that warm/fuzzy feeling. I'm not 100% sold on SD at all. Thankfully he hasn't been named HC just yet.

Is this you on the KSR board, OP?
GKrSmozWgAAllav

Reactions: Coach Marrow
The video was contrived. Mitch had the upper hand and Cal knew it. Wake up. You have no idea what you are talking about.

I've operated all along that Dan Hurley and Jay Wright were top choices but never coming.

My choice was Nate Oats. I'm also a Billy Donovan fan but timing is up against it for UK.

Good friend Aike had a great comment of "this job makes you better than you are" and in that case, I'm warming to Drew because he does have a NC and like a lot of the players he's recruited/had on his teams.

My choice a few years ago was to reach out to Miami Heat Assistant Coach Chris Quinn but that was put to rest a few years ago hearing he was looking to be an NBA HC.
I really wish Jay Wright was interested.

The video was contrived. Mitch had the upper hand and Cal knew it. Wake up. You have no idea what you are talking about.
Mitch didn’t do anything to make Cal leave, he do that on himself. Now this brain dead AD is about to hire Scott Drew so we can have our ceiling be the Sweet 16. Meanwhile it’s obvious that Donovan wants an offer. Rejoice UK fans.

Hardly. You have no idea what happened. I believe that video was to let Cal save face and not look like he was fired. Behind the scenes, I think Mitch put every screw to Cal that was within his power to do so and made it uncomfortable enough that Cal took the first acceptable job open.
You’re an idiot and that’s as simple as I can put it.

Bingo

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT