ADVERTISEMENT

Mitch Barnhart signs new deal

For no reason? Anytime I've ever said anything bad about Matt Jones it's been for a very specific reason. The time he assassinated Coach Cal's character and called him dirty, then claiming he only said it because he was jealous. Yeah, I have an issue with that. Him stealing others work and presenting as his own. Him profiting off the likeness of UK players. Dude is a shady character, on top of that, he's not very knowledgeable about sports, which is fine, but you sheep get your panties in a bunch anytime anyone questions his opinion. He didnt even know what a dime defense was in football, but you can't question his football IQ. He said UK doesnt care about the common fan because they dont sell them beer, but people in suites get alchohol. That's a SEC rule and an SEC loophole, he's clueless. Plus there's the numerous BS rumors hes started. A good number of fans here thought Wenyen and his family were dirt poor when in reality they are just fine. Guess who started that rumor... Matt Jones.

I hate Barnhart for billy G and joker and checkerboards

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
He let football languish for 10 years. He hired Billy Gillispie with a contract written on a knapkin. He hired Joker Philips. He only fired Joker Philips because we forced his hand. The board took basketball away from him. He signed Mark Stoops to an one way contract. He allowed what ever the hell happened to womens basketball without telling his coach to start doing his GD job. The SEC threw so much money at UK even he was able to finally upgrade the recruiting rooom. He disrespected a vast number of fans with his disparaging remarks, but yeah, he did a good job.

I haven't set down to do a +/- list on him, but i suspect if it's not break even it's very close, and if you knock off the "we didn't cheat" which is the least you should expect from your AD then he's on the minus side by a lot. Wish I could find a job that paid me nearly a million a year to sit on my ass and glad hand fat cat donors who want seats in Rupp.
Agree completely

I hope that one day soon I'll be able to make colossal blunders like the Joker Phillips Head Coach in waiting and the BG hire and get a $195000 dollar a year raise!
Time to get over it. It’s been 11 years since Otis Campbell was hired. Look, Gillespie was seen as a guy to turn our program around. He had done it quickly at two schools. What Mitch missed the boat on was doing a thourogh back ground check on Billy. That being said, get over it. Anytime someone has been in their position for 16 years, they’re going to make decisions that don’t work out. Mitch runs a CLEAN program that is highly respected by most. He’s insistent on having a top tier and highly staffed compliance department, which has helped keep our asses out of trouble for Mitch’s 16 year tenure.

As for the Joke, Mitch didn’t have much of a choice. Brooks had some say in that and he was adamant that Joker be given a chance. Joker was also considered a hot commodity at the time. He was also a UK Alumnus.

Look, most of you think the AD’s job only involves having good Basketball and Football teams. Well, our Basketball has never been in better shape. Our football team is more competitive than they usually have been.

All of the other sports programs here have improved IMMENSELY. Not only from a competitive standpoint.
But also much better facilities and recruiting.

Mitch has raised tons of money for All the sports programs. He is highly respected by his peers.

Time to get over it. It’s been 11 years since Otis Campbell was hired. Look, Gillespie was seen as a guy to turn our program around. He had done it quickly at two schools. What Mitch missed the boat on was doing a thourogh back ground check on Billy. That being said, get over it. Anytime someone has been in their position for 16 years, they’re going to make decisions that don’t work out. Mitch runs a CLEAN program that is highly respected by most. He’s insistent on having a top tier and highly staffed compliance department, which has helped keep our asses out of trouble for Mitch’s 16 year tenure.

As for the Joke, Mitch didn’t have much of a choice. Brooks had some say in that and he was adamant that Joker be given a chance. Joker was also considered a hot commodity at the time. He was also a UK Alumnus.

Look, most of you think the AD’s job only involves having good Basketball and Football teams. Well, our Basketball has never been in better shape. Our football team is more competitive than they usually have been.

All of the other sports programs here have improved IMMENSELY. Not only from a competitive standpoint.
But also much better facilities and recruiting.

Mitch has raised tons of money for All the sports programs. He is highly respected by his peers.
Brooks isn't the AD. He should have no damn say in the matter if his answer is Joker.

The vast majority of us doesn't know what all the AD's job entails at a school like Kentucky. We judge way too much on the bad hires. I was in management for over 25 years and there were many hires I regretted.

Like someone else said, the good far outweighs the bad in Mitch's tenure.

Yeah, and if we go by former coaches opinions we end up with Joker, Pelphrey, Ford or Tony Barbee. I'll pass on coach's opinions.

Well we have to decide, do we believe you who passed on coaches opinions? Or do we believe all the ADs because each one of them lean heavily on their coaches every single day. I’m afraid you are out of step with the planet on this.

Look around the country at the scandals and violence and rape and cheating and embarrassments.

Which sport isn't better than it was 16 years ago?

Which facility hasn't been upgraded?

We've had virtually no violations or scandals.

I'm really sorry if he doesn't treat a few big wigs like they're as important as they think they are. The results speak for themselves, and the adults in the room seem to want to keep him.

Look around the country at the scandals and violence and rape and cheating and embarrassments.

Which sport isn't better than it was 16 years ago?

Which facility hasn't been upgraded?

We've had virtually no violations or scandals.

I'm really sorry if he doesn't treat a few big wigs like they're as important as they think they are. The results speak for themselves, and the adults in the room seem to want to keep him.

All these fools wanting him gone are the type of people that will never be happy with anything. Always complaining and throwing every little non perfect thing at you trying to prove it. Ignoring the fact he's done 1000x more great things for the University than bad things. There is a reason everyone in the country recognizes the jobs he's done. He deserves to be here as long as he wants.

This is a basketball message board, btw, so obviously the discussion here is about Mitch and basketball - which he is no longer in charge of. So, obviously, messages here about him are not going to be as flattering. He is literally not the basketball AD. For good reason.

Great guy.

I don't like Mitch. I believe the story about him not wanting Cal, haven't liked his football hires, and there are a few other more personal reasons why I'm not a huge fan or his.

However, whether the story about him not wanting Cal is true, we got Cal, we've been to more bowl games under his tenure than any other AD, he attends everything, and the ping pong and water polo teams are at an all time how. Plus the university has never had any serious scandals or anything under his watch (unlike a team down the road). He's done a good job.

Reactions: Mr_GG
Lame he didn’t deserve a raise. He didn’t deserve an extension. He’s done squat for us on he selection committee and he is a total push over. Other ads love him bc he is soft. Terrible for football I don’t trust barney to make the next hoops hire either. Pray to god he goes before cal bc for football it’s stoops and his loaded contract or bust.

He’s already been at Uk too long he needs to make another career move bc he is stale

Well, he’s here till 2023 minimum

This is a basketball message board, btw, so obviously the discussion here is about Mitch and basketball - which he is no longer in charge of. So, obviously, messages here about him are not going to be as flattering. He is literally not the basketball AD. For good reason.

Great guy.

He's literally the boss of every person employed by the athletic department, including the basketball program. If he says the basketball program must do a thing, it must do the thing.

Great guy.
Weird, his signature is on Cal's contract and every one of his assistants contracts. You would think that's something the "basketball AD" would do.

I hate Barnhart for billy G and joker and checkerboards
You hate Mitch for freaking uniforms? Uniforms? Really? I hope you’re joking about that.
Are-you-kidding-Rachel.gif

What AD hasn't made a bad hire. Oh wait, you couldn't name one if your life depended on it. Almist all ADs have made multiple bad hires, hiring coaches isnt an exact science. That's like whining about a coach getting a raise after having a bad season 8 years ago. MB quickly fixed his mistakes and recovered and the athletics department is doing great.

The fans forced him to move on Joker. He was going to retain him.

He wanted to extend Tubby two more years, signs Gillispie, worst U.K. hire in history. Fired him because he was dangerous for players. Fought to hire Izzo, not Cal. Removed from basketball AD.

Yea, he fixed everything so fast. Lol.

I’ll just ask this question. Name me a team that is not in better shape/more competitive now than when he took over in 2002. Maybe there is, just curious.

Name a team or sport that hasn’t greatly benefited from the mega deals? I know people want to ignore this and pretend Mitch has done this from scratch while broke, but it’s not true.

Mitch has worked for peanuts at UK and very few programs around the country have shown interest. If he’s so great, why? Kansas could have had him for cheap, and taken U.K.’s AD away who has connections to them. They said no thanks. You would think since he’s so great they would have jumped at it.. nope.

He’s a hatchet man and big time coaches do not want to work for him.

Cal sure didn’t

He wanted to extend Tubby two more years, signs Gillispie, worst U.K. hire in history. Fired him because he was dangerous for players. Fought to hire Izzo, not Cal. Removed from basketball AD.

Only the simpletons that worship you believe this drivel.

Joker was fired after after 2 and 10 games, that's a pretty short tenure. What do you base "he was gonna retain him" on?

Cal was the only coach interviewed and Barnhart brought in people to convince Lee Todd to hire Cal. Lee Todd prevented MB from hiring Cal in 07 when Tubby left. This has been well documented from the parties involved.

Only the simpletons that worship you believe this drivel.

Mitch you’ve got plenty of lesser informed people that actually believe you are responsible for the upgrades to our programs. Lol. You shouldn’t make fun of them so much, they distort reality for you.

Joker was fired after after 2 and 10 games, that's a pretty short tenure. What do you base "he was gonna retain him" on?

Cal was the only coach interviewed and Barnhart brought in people to convince Lee Todd to hire Cal. Lee Todd prevented MB from hiring Cal in 07 when Tubby left. This has been well documented from the parties involved.

No sir. He wanted no part of Cal and then went into damage control because he needed it to hang his hat on. He didn’t want his name associated with Calipari. That’s why we passed the first time.

I base the Joker firing off of facts. He was going to retain him until the fans revolted. If you don’t even know that this is a waste of time. Get informed.

Reactions: GG24 and crestcat
No sir. He wanted no part of Cal and then went into damage control because he needed it to hang his hat on. He didn’t want his name associated with Calipari. That’s why we passed the first time.

I base the Joker firing off of facts. He was going to retain him until the fans revolted. If you don’t even know that this is a waste of time. Get informed.
Willful ignorance, the Lee Todd story quoting Lee Todd saying that he didnt allow Cal to be hired is readily available and has been posted on this board numerous times. Instead of reading and educating yourself on the facts, you choose to spout inaccurate nonsense that fits your agenda. You are so delusional.

Willful ignorance, the Lee Todd story quoting Lee Todd saying that he didnt allow Cal to be hired is readily available and has been posted on this board numerous times. Instead of reading and educating yourself on the facts, you choose to spout inaccurate nonsense that fits your agenda. You are so delusional.

I’ll choose to believe the guys that were involved, not internet message board followers who believe damage control and have no information. You really should get informed it would change your view.

Even Brian, who’s probably the most well connected poster here, understands the situation. The stories are always the same.

mitch never wanted Cal, ever. He’s a liar. There’s a reason Cal wanted Peevy to report to. The only coaches who like Mitch are average / below average guys like Stoops who get insane contracts and extensions from him.

Lame he didn’t deserve a raise. He didn’t deserve an extension. He’s done squat for us on he selection committee and he is a total push over. Other ads love him bc he is soft. Terrible for football I don’t trust barney to make the next hoops hire either. Pray to god he goes before cal bc for football it’s stoops and his loaded contract or bust.

He’s already been at Uk too long he needs to make another career move bc he is stale
Wise u bein sew meen!
tumblr_lwda7yPTqC1r473uyo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

MB basically apologized to the base for having to hire Cal during his own effing hiring announcement presser! Cal shouldve take his family and walked out then. I was embarrassed by the way MB acted assuring everyone that Cal was "clean" or whatever.

Reality is he didnt want Cal because of the so called skeletons in Cals closet. Heck, many here didnt either maybe thats why they side w MB on everything today....BUT MB perception on Cal obviously changed in 2 years after the BCG embarrassment so what changed it?

If any of you have a career that has high expectations and standards and get paid well for meeting those....then you know exactly what changed MB perception of Cal.

Its MB one great hire in 16 yrs. It was done out of desperation. Too bad more have not been.

I’ll choose to believe the guys that were involved, not internet message board followers who believe damage control and have no information. You really should get informed it would change your view.

Even Brian, who’s probably the most well connected poster here, understands the situation. The stories are always the same.

mitch never wanted Cal, ever. He’s a liar. There’s a reason Cal wanted Peevy to report to. The only coaches who like Mitch are average / below average guys like Stoops who get insane contracts and extensions from him.
The guys who were involved? Lee Todd, Mitch Barnhart, Mike Pratt, and Rob Mullens. Which one of them do you talk to and which one said Barnhart is lying and never wanted Cal? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Barnhart hasnt spoken on the record on this and couldn't have lied, but Pratt and Todd have and according to what they say, you're full of shit.

So, given that he must leave the room when KY is discussed during the selection process, just what the hell did you expect him to do? List just two well documented examples where Mitch was pushed over.

This is what happens when a U6 fan pretends to be a cat fan.

So, given that he must leave the room when KY is discussed during the selection process, just what the hell did you expect him to do? List just two well documented examples where Mitch was pushed over.

This is what happens when a U6 fan pretends to be a cat fan.
If you dont know this by now, you're a moron, or a U6 fan. We gotta stop explaining simple things to morons and U6 fans, they will never get it.

Lol he hired Billy Clyde and Joker and you guys are happy he got an extension? What has he done to deserve that? Building a solid rifle program?
Yeah, solid rifle, basketball, track, baseball, softball, soccer, volleyball, with tremendous facility upgrades in nearly every sport.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT