ADVERTISEMENT

Barnhart’s contract

Lionel_Hutz

Junior
Apr 4, 2011
For all the talk about Cal’s albatross contract. . . . MB’s deal is almost just as bad. Horrific even.

University of Kentucky Athletics Director Mitch Barnhart has signed a contract extension that could keep him in charge of the Wildcats’ athletics department through the 2027-28 school year while foreshadowing a possible next step for his career.

Barnhart’s previous UK contract was set to expire on June 30, 2026. The extension does not change his base salary for the next three years.

We could’ve started anew in a mere 2 yrs. Alas…..

Feeling like it's gonna be pretty depressing for a while.

But, on the flip side, contracts don't mean crap anymore. About as meaningless as a wedding ring.

Barnhart may not be the immediate problem, but giving lifetime contracts to coaches is a BIG problem in my opinion. That should never happen in regard to any coach at UK. And, whoever is responsible for that, or for allowing it, should have consequences.
I never liked the Calipari hire from the word go. But contrary to urban myth, Calipari doesn’t have a lifetime contract to coach at UK. My numbers might be off, but my memory is Calipari’s contractual coaching term expires 3 years after the conclusion of this season. Most of BBN would have been in an uproar had Barnhart not extended Calipari’s contract years ago in response to Calipari’s threat to leave Lexington for the NBA. I thought at the time when this current contract was agreed to that it was a bad contract for BBN (primarily due to Calipari’s ineptitude at in-game coaching) and I haven’t changed my mind. But I’m not that one dude at UK who was under pressure to find a way to keep Calipari at Kentucky, and Calipari wasn’t going to let up on his threats to bolt to the NBA until he got a contract that satisfied his ego. And I have yet to hear of anyone who was on the Board at the time say he/she fought like hell against that contract being approved.

It appears Barnhart has done a nice job pushing Calipari back into his spot over the past couple of years. “No” to Calipari’s demand for a new practice facility. “No” to Calipari refusing to have Indiana back on the schedule. “No” to Calipari wanting to have an offensive coordinator added to the staff. But we’re stuck with Calipari and this contract until it expires in a few years - unless some folks step up with big checkbooks to buy it out.

“The problem” isn’t Barnhart. The problem is Calipari. Always has been.

Last edited:
Barnhart isn’t the problem. Calipari is.
Barnhart is a problem . I was told by family who are boosters and also friends with basketball coaches at their schools that they would not be interested in working for Barnhart because he will not do the things it takes to win big in college sports. The game is half on the court play and half $$$$$$$ throwing around... bring boosters together to support the program by throwing $$$$$$ around. . and Barnhart has this ideal of cleaning up sports or at least basketball it seems.......that will never happen... it only holds UK back.

which seems hypocritical that he didnt stop Outback steakhouse from sponsoring the games that were against UL. Really makes me wonder if he doesnt care if basketball goes the way of indiana and all that matters to him is football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT