ADVERTISEMENT

Mitch vs Boosters

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
Per Pilgrim

Do not believe this is over, despite the NJ.com report Scott Drew is Kentucky's main target and the two sides are in talks. Mitch Barnhart and Drew have had positive discussions, sure, but it's my understanding this has nothing to do with the school's interest and pursuit of Dan Hurley.

I've been told Drew is seriously interested and would very likely accept, but there is an obvious donor push with Hurley and they want due diligence done there, as well. With the $33M buyout no longer in the picture, there's an understanding you have to give it a shot with the financial flexibility. And I don't think the hire extends beyond those two, despite Billy Donovan's anticipated interest through timing hurdles.

Have heard UConn is sweating the Kentucky talk with Hurley a bit and the leak (and its origin) aligns with that buzz. They don't want a contract in his hands because they know the money and situation will be hard for him to pass up if it gets to that point, no matter how great he has it in Storrs. They are rooting for this to end quickly with Drew named head coach so they can offer their own lucrative (relatively speaking) extension and begin the push for a three-peat.

Another thing to keep in mind: the one downside of Hurley's passion and drive to own the sport is that it's not limited to just college basketball. He wants to eventually land in the NBA and there is a very real chance you hire him for some unbelievable highs for two or three years before he becomes the next head coach of the New York Knicks. Barnhart doesn't want another high-profile search and hire before he retires and it's entirely possible he'd have to do that with Hurley. Drew is someone you can bet on being here for the long haul with his own major highs.

In short, Barnhart wants Drew, boosters want Hurley, but would also be very comfortable investing in Drew. They believe in either to get the job done and support is unanimous internally. NIL dollars will reflect that.

This is a win-win for Kentucky. Two outstanding options with championship pedigree, both home runs.

My money is on Drew.

If all that is true and Barnhart has a “choice” since donors are seemingly on board for both, he is 100% choosing his own guy, Drew.

Edited to add: I’m still not entirely sure why Donovan couldn’t just accept a college job and walk away from the NBA anytime? I understand if there’s some contractual situation, but I feel like the NBA rolls with interims all the time and it kinda seems like Chicago would be fine with him excusing himself anyway.

Last edited:
Have heard UConn is sweating the Kentucky talk with Hurley a bit and the leak (and its origin) aligns with that buzz. They don't want a contract in his hands because they know the money and situation will be hard for him to pass up if it gets to that point, no matter how great he has it in Storrs. They are rooting for this to end quickly with Drew named head coach so they can offer their own lucrative (relatively speaking) extension and begin the push for a three-peat.
If true, you gotta close this one, Mitch. I hope the boosters continue to push for Hurley.

Per Pilgrim

Do not believe this is over, despite the NJ.com report Scott Drew is Kentucky's main target and the two sides are in talks. Mitch Barnhart and Drew have had positive discussions, sure, but it's my understanding this has nothing to do with the school's interest and pursuit of Dan Hurley.

I've been told Drew is seriously interested and would very likely accept, but there is an obvious donor push with Hurley and they want due diligence done there, as well. With the $33M buyout no longer in the picture, there's an understanding you have to give it a shot with the financial flexibility. And I don't think the hire extends beyond those two, despite Billy Donovan's anticipated interest through timing hurdles.

Another thing to keep in mind: the one downside of Hurley's passion and drive to own the sport is that it's not limited to just college basketball. He wants to eventually land in the NBA and there is a very real chance you hire him for some unbelievable highs for two or three years before he becomes the next head coach of the New York Knicks. Barnhart doesn't want another high-profile search and hire before he retires and it's entirely possible he'd have to do that with Hurley. Drew is someone you can bet on being here for the long haul with his own major highs.

In short, Barnhart wants Drew, boosters want Hurley, but would also be very comfortable investing in Drew. They believe in either to get the job done and support is unanimous internally. NIL dollars will reflect that.

This is a win-win for Kentucky. Two outstanding options with championship pedigree, both home runs.

My money is on Drew.
So where do you stand now on Drew? Earlier today you pretty much said he disgusted you.

Here’s the deal. If Donovan wants it, you have to give it to him. I’m totally on board with Drew and have said that for a long time now. He will bring instant recruits, top classes, kills the transfer portal, knows how to win championships at the worst p5 program there was. He is a great coach too. Having that however, Donovan has been someone that we have wanted for a long time. He’s got close ties here and he’s a guy that you want to run your program. In short, it’s Billy Donovan. You just HAVE to, even though I do believe Drew might end up the better hire. He would definitely win faster too.

But you can’t turn Donovan away.

I don’t believe any of this about Hurley. He’s not leaving UConn they’re going for a 3 peat. And we need to back off it anyway because you run the risk of Drew saying screw it I’m just going to stay. But I don’t personally believe the hold up is Hurley, to me from the outside it looks like Donovan. And I cant see the boosters going all in on Hurley I just can’t. But Billy? I can see that.

I don’t think Hurley was ever a real possibility. It was always going to be Drew.

He’s been the first one on Mitch’s list for years.
Agree, I think Hurley is the smoke screen to appease fans but in reality, it was Drew all along. At this point, it is what it is and I’ll be happy with it. I think it’s been Drew all along and the rest of the noise is being generated to drive hype. I give Hurley less than 10% chance of happening.

The Fans + Boosters are pushing for Hurley.

Only a vocal few + Mitch + all of UK's haters + Media wants Drew.

Notice, none the media people say Drew to UK because he's a FIT FOR UK, only a FIT FOR MITCH. Which if true, makes him the same as Cal wanting to keep his guys as assistant coaches to help him. Double standard for Mitch.

If Hurley says no and Billy Donovan is even remotely interested, it just seems haphazard to rush to Drew to me. If you have to work the pitch count and wait a just a bit longer to hit the grandslam, you do it. Maybe I’m overvaluing Donovan, but I’d sacrifice some of next season’s roster building to have him.

Scott Drew vs Pat Kelsey Lmao

Some of you are way too into being entertained instead of substance. Calipari was entertaining, he sucked and has killed our prestige.

What does a Louisville coach have to do with anything we’re doing? Nobody cares about Louisville, you just want to be entertained. This post kind of solidifies it. Well guess what? Louisville would have died long ago if not for Pitino. They aren’t relevant nationally and they don’t have the money for both sports. They’re also on the outside looking in with conference shifts. So if you’re worried about having some big names to go along with them it’s not going to happen. That’s why they’ve hired Payne and Kelsey. They don’t have the resources, Pitino is gone, and no major coach cares about Louisville.

Drew might not be your favorite arrogant actor, but his record at a doormat speaks for itself. And he’s been better than our actor, John Calipari, for a while now.

Drew would be a damn good coach and I think it’s totally unacceptable for him to not be shown a lot more respect if he accepts. He could just stay there and send us to Shaka Smart or Miller.

He would win here, and winning is the point.

Last edited:
Per Pilgrim

My money is on Drew.
So a lot of talk/words to just say what many people here have from jump. BTW-nobody named Trilly mentioned this either. LOL

1. They will appease the Boosters by letting them try and fail to land the top tier that most wanted--Hurley, Wright, Oats, etc...

2. Then they'll go to the guy Mitch has wanted from jump

The good news which is what has to happen and was expected-with a unified fanbase and giving the new coach an opportunity to build relationships, the $ and support will be there for Drew (all likelihood) which wasn't for Calipari. That should help him attract a big time staff and work with players both from HS/Portal.

So a lot of talk/words to just say what many people here have from jump. BTW-nobody named Trilly mentioned this either. LOL

1. They will appease the Boosters by letting them try and fail to land the top tier that most wanted--Hurley, Wright, Oats, etc...

The good news which is what has to happen and was expected-with a unified fanbase and giving the new coach an opportunity to build relationships, the $ and support will be there for Drew (all likelihood) which wasn't for Calipari. That should help him attract a big time staff and work with players both from HS/Portal.
Win-Win for us. If we somehow get Hurley, well, we win. If we don't, we get a solid hire in Drew with booster support that wasn't there for the back half of Calipari's tenure.

Arkansas is paying Cal less than UK did and they have Walmart, Jerry Jones and Tyson money. It's more nuanced.
Arkansas isn’t coming off back-back titles, and isn’t even close to the success UConn has. I find it hard to believe Hurley leaves a school after winning 2 titles

I just don't find anything impressive about Drew.Actually I see a lot of Cal in his results.

Per Pilgrim

My money is on Drew.
Your defination of a home run hire is below the standards of most in the BBN. Any record made at Baylor no matter what the circumstances. Reach for the Stars and don’t settle for the moon.

I hope that is indeed the case if Drew is named, but I’m not fully convinced his name will bring quite the overwhelming fanfare overall? Perhaps some will take a “show me” approach and feel him out here first?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT