ADVERTISEMENT

Mitch Barnhart signs new deal

Full transparency here...

My issues with Mitch and Sandy are very much personal and go back to his first week at UK (which began wonderfully, but was simply a ruse and a total pack of lies).

During and after a long court case I obviously met and talked with many others, including WT Young. I took a major hit battling a war I never wanted with the athletics dept. But was definitley not the only one and many more have followed since. The right to your face lying was almost unbelievable, even though documentation from their own office proved they were lying... a truly amazing and stressful time back then.
Interesting. I would love to sit down over beers with you and hear the details.

I never used those words.

There are those that do not like Mitch and as I did say, not all complaints are necessarily related to hires.

UK has performed plenty well enough not to fire the AD.

Fair enough.

Who’s complaining?

Some truth to this. It doesn’t really matter, because he’s going to be here whether you’re pro or anti Mitch, for another 5 years.
I’m not going to let it ruin my day it’s just a meh thing to do. he Was basically forced to hire coach cal and he is going to ride that wave for a long time

I’m not going to let it ruin my day it’s just a meh thing to do. he Was basically forced to hire coach cal and he is going to ride that wave for a long time
Who forced him to hire Cal? I know simple questions are really hard for people who make things up but I'd love an answer.

Think about it, if Cal hadn't wanted the UK job so bad that UK got a do over on hiring him, where in the hell would this basketball program be? I can't imagine who Mitch would have hired

Who forced him to hire Cal? I know simple questions are really hard for people who make things up but I'd love an answer.

Boosters, administration, board of directors, public support, etc...

Who forces you to do your job everyday? You perform or you dont...and if you dont, theres consequences. If you screw up, you have to correct it and make sure you dont screw up again. If you screw up consistently, youre let go.

MB hiring Cal is a perfect example of someone taking no chances with his job after a major major eff up. Cal was a homerun and MB had to have it imo.

Boosters, administration, board of directors, public support, etc...

Who forces you to do your job everyday? You perform or you dont...and if you dont, theres consequences. If you screw up, you have to correct it and make sure you dont screw up again. If you screw up consistently, youre let go.

MB hiring Cal is a perfect example of someone taking no chances with his job after a major major eff up. Cal was a homerun and MB had to have it imo.
What boosters, what administrators, what "board of directors"? You might as well have said people. Why is answering this simple question so hard?

Reactions: GonzoCat90

Mitch has never done better than average on any coaching decision regarding football and basketball since he has been here.

You don't just go from a C average (or worse imo) to an A+ on the biggest hire of your life without some help. He's proven he doesn't have that ability by himself.

What boosters, what administrators, what "board of directors"? You might as well have said people. Why is answering this simple question so hard?

Idk his bosses any better than yours. Doesnt mean they dont exist. Someone hired him and therefore can fire him if need be as well. Do you think hes not accountable to anyone?? Not a hard concept.

Reactions: brianpoe
Idk his bosses any better than yours. Doesnt mean they dont exist. Someone hired him and therefore can fire him if need be as well. Do you think hes not accountable to anyone?? Not a hard concept.
His boss was Lee Todd, the school president at the time. There is no other faculty that can force him to do anything, we have a $120+ athletics budget, booster dont have the power they had back in the day, and there is no Board of Directors. You're clueless, yet you claim to know he was forced to hire Cal. More willful ignorance.

His boss was Lee Todd, the school president at the time. There is no other faculty that can force him to do anything, we have a $120+ athletics budget, booster dont have the power they had back in the day, and there is no Board of Directors. You're clueless, yet you claim to know he was forced to hire Cal. More willful ignorance.

I'm guessing you think professional team owners and politicians have no bosses either and are never persuaded by anything other than their own opinions...

This willful act of naivety is not believable coming from you KS, c'mon man.

Billy Clyde AND Joker. That’s two mistakes. Most ADs don’t make it through two disaster hires like that

Well...right off the top of my head, I'll give you legendary Alabama AD Mal Moore. Moore hired Dennis Franchione, Mike ("It's rollin' baby, it's rollin") Price, Mike Shula and finally Nick Saban for football, and hired Mark Gott-Fired and Anthony Grant for basketball. I suppose one out of six isn't bad. In addition, under Moore, Alabama football was hit with major violations, and in 2009, had 16 athletics programs (including football and basketball) placed on 3 years probation for misuse of free textbooks obtained by student athletes, who IIRC gave/sold them to other students. Yet Mal Moore is a legend at Bama.

How about Jeremy Foley at Florida? Hired three football coaches in Ron Zook, Urban Meyer, and Will Moosechump. They were really good with Meyer, but he ran a renegade program while Foley turned a blind eye. At any rate, he also hire Billy D and Mike White. That's 3 out of 5 for Foley, and he was regarded as one of the top ADs in the country.

That's two off the top of my head that have had at least 2 bad hires, yet are considered to be legendary athletic directors. I'm guessing if you wanted to do the work, you can find a lot of athletic directors who have survived at least two bad hires.

Im guessing you think the POTUS calls all the shots as well without influence. Youre heads in the sand even though you know better.

I'm guessing you think professional team owners and politicians have no bosses either and are never persuaded by anything other than their own opinions...

This willful act of naivety is not believable coming from you KS, c'mon man.
I guess I asked several times and none of you can ever answer. You give a vague answer then call me naive. Yeah, I'm naive for not believing people who cant answer simple questions about their own allegations. It's a simple question, who forced Barnhart to hire Cal as you guys claim?

I guess I asked several times and none of you can ever answer. You give a vague answer then call me naive. Yeah, I'm naive for not believing people who cant answer simple questions about their own allegations. It's a simple question, who forced Barnhart to hire Cal as you guys claim?

Who’s UK’s biggest booster? His name is on a building. That’s your answer

Im guessing you think the POTUS calls all the shots as well without influence. Youre heads in the sand even though you know better.
You can't answer a simple question then you deflect with some nonsense analogy. Nah, I've educated myself and read Pratts account and Lee Todd's account. I'm not spouting some buffoonery I heard someone say on a message board that I cant defend because I know any actual facts.

Oh look, another riddle. So you're saying Joe Craft forced Mitch Barnhart yo hire Cal?

No one is truly forced to do anything in American sports .... but the pressure was fierce. Barnhart would not of survived if UK basketball didn’t make the home run hire and the only coach like that willing to come to UK was cal. Izzo never would of left MSU and Donovan never would of left UF for UK

No one is truly forced to do anything in American sports .... but the pressure was fierce. Barnhart would not of survived if UK basketball didn’t make the home run hire and the only coach like that willing to come to UK was cal. Izzo never would of left MSU and Donovan never would of left UF for UK
My question is, who forced Barnhart to hire Cal as you guys claimed? Yall go off on a tangent about every other topic when you can't answer a simple question.

Just voicing my support for @brianpoe and @morgousky, every interaction I've ever had from Mitch is 110% in line with what they're saying, and there's way more than meets the eye behind the scenes. He absolutely did NOT want Cal to be hired and whoever said he was basically apologizing on camera during the hiring presser was spot on. He has goofed up so much stuff beyond measure in the athletics program, not sure I've ever seen a worse AD at "stumping" and fundraising stuff, but a lot has been covered in recent years largely by the SECN deal, the gift that keeps on giving.

So why did Barnhart tell people after tubby left that cal would not even be considered then all of a sudden after an atrocious tenure of bcg , he then hires Cal but with mike Pratt and Martin Newton running point on getting him to come to UK
Barnhart didn't say that, it's some BS you made up, and in 07 Lee Todd wouldnt allow him to hire Cal. If you would like I can post the article quoting Lee Todd. Its direct quotes from Todd and not from KSR so I'm not sure if you will accept it.

BTW, Mitch Barnhart is the best UK athletics director in my over 50 years of following UK. This is fact, and isn't debatable by anyone.

Reactions: mebeblue2
Barnhart didn't say that, it's some BS you made up, and in 07 Lee Todd wouldnt allow him to hire Cal. If you would like I can post the article quoting Lee Todd. Its direct quotes from Todd and not from KSR so I'm not sure if you will accept it.

Oh so Barnhart and Todd can’t be on the same page ? Guess you never heard of someone publically taking heat off of a coworker when it comes to sports.

If you have trouble comprehending my post about you "acting" naive versus calling you naive then I'm not sure how to take all of your responses regarding all the other items you have "read".

BTW, Mitch Barnhart is the best UK athletics director in my over 50 years of following UK. This is fact, and isn't debatable by anyone.

It's not only debatable you are totally wrong.

But that's ok I've been wrong before and didn't know it. You're good.

Reactions: crestcat
It's not only debatable you are totally wrong.

But that's ok I've been wrong before and didn't know it. You're good.
Every facility, every coach in every sport on the University of Kentucky campus is better than the Day Mitch Barnhart walked on the scene at UK ,except maybe for the football coach. Nothing about that is debatable and you are wrong, but it's okay... I'm sure that if you are married you are you are wrong at least once a day just like the rest of us.

Every facility, every coach in every sport on the University of Kentucky campus is better than the Day Mitch Barnhart walked on the scene at UK ,except maybe for the football coach. Nothing about that is debatable and you are wrong, but it's okay... I'm sure that if you are married you are you are wrong at least once a day just like the rest of us.

In the end, the people who sign his paychecks think he's doing a good enough job to warrant an extension and raise. After that, just noise.

In all honesty we havent had the greatest of ADs.

As to the facilities, the previous ADs did not receive that cash SEC windfall either.... keep in mind we had a corner of a practice field with folding chairs for a recruiting room for several years under Mitch prior to that payday.

Reactions: crestcat and GG24
Baseball and women’s basketball just completely whiffed on making the post season.... and stoops is average in football. Some act like we are taking the nation by storm lol

I sure do love having the 93rd ranked defense and 101st ranked offense in NCAA football while the coach is making top 20 salary. Real business sense there....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT