ADVERTISEMENT

Smoking & Grilling Thread-2015 Edition

By all means let's hear more about your awesome pork butt.

Not going to turn a helpful for all involved thread (except for you for some reason) into a pissing match. I have grilled butts, tenderloins, spatchcock chicken, baby backs, spare ribs, and other things mentioned in here, but instead of offering tips and reading, you keep trying to throw jabs at people. Must be the fan base you all seem the same. Have a good day, and hope your grilling / smoking is fantastic this summer. Here is a tip, use a gas grill turned wide open with a leaky hose, maybe the wind will blow your direction, or DIAF in short.

Reactions: weused2luvhim2
Anyone else get nervous when grilling something expensive? That's the main reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a full packer brisket.

The thought of ruining it, or it not meeting expectations terrifies me. Mainly b/c I'm still learning this thing, b/c I don't get that feeling cooking inside with equally expensive ingredients.

The first time I go USDA Prime or Wagyu steak, I'll probably need to be drunk first. :cry:

...and I fancy myself a damn good cook. The rare times I *really* mess something up, in or outside, it bothers me about as much as anything in life that I can think of outside of UK Basketball or family matters...completely ruins my night.

A steak, not at all. If you have a temp probe and aren't doing too much it's really hard to mess that up. For waygu or prime I'd back the temp off a little so I didn't burn it up. Just get the fire going 30-40 minutes before so the egg is nice and warm all the way through.

For a brisket I wouldn't go to prime or waygu until you have a few of those under your belt. I've done 10 or so and I'd say only 1 was really a complete failure. That was mostly because it was a tailgate, I was drunk and tried to leave it cooking while we went to the game. Probably would have been fine if I got the fire started much sooner but you're not going to completely fail.

I tried a point/flat or whatever once on the Weber and completely failed, for sure...but after I read failure rate is about 90% on those (apparently they are basically pointless to even try) I didn't feel so bad. It was like $5 or some shit.

I don't own a probe or thermapen (yet), so I suppose that's why I'm nervous on the Egg -- still in practice trial/error phase...I had my Weber down pat.

Even a regular brisket is just so expensive (and way too much meat) for the two of us, guess I'll have to bite the bullett at some point, so I can feel confident to entertain the in-laws or whoever with one at some point.

Then again, her simpleton fam wouldn't know the difference. I made a Pork Butt, some VERY marginal ribs, and average wings when I FIRST got my Weber (it was maybe my 2nd week cooking with Charcoal, was wayyy too ambitious for a single cook), and they thought it was the best meal of their life, and basically ask me every time I see them when I'm gonna do another feast. :oops:

Yeah, not a lot you can do with 11lbs of brisket for 2 people. Need to do it for a party or something. Freezing some of it for chili is a nice treat but that still leaves you with like 8lbs.

Flats are worthless. They can't hold the temp required to break down the fat. Takes 4-5 hours to cook. Hell, my best brisket took 5-6 hours to go from 140-160.

As far as Thermapens go, is there any real reason not to go Thermapop instead, and save the extra $70?

I know the Thermapens are super quick, but I can't imagine the pens are really that much slower.

I have a most generic of generic 'pen'...doesn't even have a name. Think it was $10-15. Maybe takes 5-6 seconds before it decides on a correct (or not lol) temp. Still want the Thermapen (or something close) for accuracy sake, but this little thing hasn't really "failed" me that i can recall.

Of bigger priority to me right now is a probe(s) for long cooks. Not gonna do the Guru, that's just silly to me... think I've settled on the Maverick on allowance day. :smiley:

Anyone from Louisville not go to Kingsley? That place is dope and even runs a nice lunch table too! Perfect to grab your meat of choice for dinner and then get a $6 lunch with their product for tasting.

Steaks are easy, but I've had year on every kind of grill except the egg.

Ribs, chicken, some seafood, vegetables and typical burger/hot dog/brats are easy too.

That said I've kept everything pretty simple and do not get too cute with seasons, marinades or or any of that junk.

Steak = salt and pepper or somtimes soak in a beer for 15-20 minutes tops

Seafood = some sort of oil light drizzle with salt and coat with butter before pulling

Vegetables = olive oil salt and pepper and usually only grill corn, zucchini and squash or asparagus, which asparagus is top with park cheese

Ribs = coat with honey and brown sugar then wrap 6 hours or so, the unwrap and smoke, hit the grill for a few minutes to top with a hickory BBQ

Anything other than that and I pay for someone to cook it.

I just cooked my best steak ever tonight. Ribeye that had been dry aged in a UMAi bag for 28 days. Trimmed off the bark and cut the steaks about 1.25 inches thick and then vacuum sealed them in food saver bags.
For the cooking method I decided to try the sous vide cooler technique that was mentioned on here last year i think. I put them in a cooler of 134 degree water for 55 minutes. The biggest advantage to this method is that it let me do all the rest of my prep and cook my sides while the steaks were being held at the perfect temp. Roasted broccoli with parmesan and basalmic vinegar, sautéed mushroom medley and a baked potato.
For the sear I filled my chimney up with charcoal and waited until the top coals were white but instead of dumping the coals I just put the grill grate on top of the chimney. I had taken the steaks out about 10 minutes prior to cooking to pat them dry and season with kosher salt and black pepper. I cooked them about 2 minutes a side and let them rest 10 minutes, and man were they awesome, perfect edge to edge medium rare with a perfect crust. I really can't believe how great they turned out, and how easy this method was to do. The best thing about it is you are in full control of the temps and you know exactly when the steak will be done so it's easy to time everything else.

I might not use this method for every steak I cook but if you're going to treat yourself to some usda prime I wouldn't do it any other way

Reactions: Get Bucket$
They really stocking Waygu and Akuashi still?
Per their website they do. I actually have never been there. Wife always stops in. Everything we have bought from them is top knotch.

Anyone else get nervous when grilling something expensive?
I was nervous on a 4lbs belly. I can't imagine cooking a big Waygu brisket. I'd have a nervous breakdown for sure.

Kingsley is awesome, for some reason I only think of it on random occasions.

Louisville seems to be lacking in butcher shops though. Frank's is awesome as well, but I hardly ever go in there either, which I can't explain. They have amazing Pork Chops & lunch sandwiches (huge), never had their steaks though.

I just cooked my best steak ever tonight. Ribeye that had been dry aged in a UMAi bag for 28 days. Trimmed off the bark and cut the steaks about 1.25 inches thick and then vacuum sealed them in food saver bags.
For the cooking method I decided to try the sous vide cooler technique that was mentioned on here last year i think. I put them in a cooler of 134 degree water for 55 minutes.

For the sear I filled my chimney up with charcoal and waited until the top coals were white but instead of dumping the coals I just put the grill grate on top of the chimney. I had taken the steaks out about 10 minutes prior to cooking to pat them dry and season with kosher salt and black pepper. I cooked them about 2 minutes a side and let them rest 10 minutes, and man were they awesome, perfect edge to edge medium rare with a perfect crust. I really can't believe how great they turned out, and how easy this method was to do. The best thing about it is you are in full control of the temps and you know exactly when the steak will be done so it's easy to time everything else.

I might not use this method for every steak I cook but if you're going to treat yourself to some usda prime I wouldn't do it any other way

Hey there, Alton. (that's how he does his Ahi, or anything else he wants a flash or hard sear on.

How did you get your water to 134 in the cooler, or is that just what it happened to be? Also, what was the temp when you pulled from the cooler before the sear...seen different #s for that on sous vide or reverse sear methods.

Yea Franks is solid to, a little less broad on options too. See rabbit meat at Kingsley before!

If you have a deep freeze and know someone that will get you in the door at restaurant depot you can get great deals there too. Love that place.

Water comes out of my tap at about 110. I was shooting for the 130-135 range so I added boiling water, it was 134 when I checked the temp so I just went with it.

I didn't check the temp of the steak before I cooked it, but it probably wasn't exactly 134 because the meat was cool when I put it in, and some heat loss from cooler over the 55 minutes. I put a candy thermometer in the cooler with the meat and it was right at 130 after 55 minutes. And like I said it sat on a plate for ten minutes before the sear.

Hey I'm in the same boat as you are with the wife not liking anything below a certain temp, all you would have to do is get two small coolers with the water set to whatever temp you want and the steaks would still have the exact same cook time, come off the grill at the same time without any guess work.

Probably going to try that method this weekend with the Waygu steaks from Cooper Bros(if they have any) and if it's successful grab one of those at home sous vide things.

I plan to try it too, after I master the regular reverse sear -- but I will say I preferred my wife's steak at Kayne Prime over my Sous Vide version...and mine was even the upgraded Wagyu. Could have just been a random thing or slightly under seasoned though, just lacked flavor (and char) compared to hers.

What's the opinion on a Smokenator? I thought about getting a charcoal smoker, but was wondering if the Smokenator for the Weber Kettle is worth it.

^ apparently it just makes it easier/more efficient. I personally never saw the need for it...just drop in some wood chips on the coals every hour or two, keep a close eye on it, and I was fine. Made it more fun having to manage it the entire time, imo.

I was in a Priceless IGA here in BG the other day. Never had these before, but they had ribs that where called Texas ribs. Looked kind of like a Lamb Crown roast or whatever. They are really different and was very good. Highly recommend.

Another interesting and solid smoking item, buy a whole roll of beef bologna, smoke it, lightly brush the outer part of the roll with bbq sauce. Damn good. I Do this maybe once or twice a year when bored with all other stuff.

Called Cooper Bros, they have a whole Waygu cow coming in Wednesday. They currently have Akuashi strips(34/lb) and ribeye(35/lb) ready to cut. This is a weekend of Anth coming up but mercy that's an expensive steak. Considering I'm not buying anything that cost less than 1.5" think and probably 16oz. You'd just ruin it any smaller.

Changed my mind if I cook the Akuashi Friday. I'm sticking with what I know. I've gotten as close to steakhouse quality as I think I can get with my current method. I'll experiment with a $25 ribeye from FM.

Wish I had a reason to buy a Waygu brisket next week. Wonder what that goes for? I'm gonna ask tomorrow. Bet near $200. I'd be a basket case with that sucker.

-The winning brisket in the Kingsford Invitational did not inject. They also use the slice bits of the point rather than the flat and no burnt ends. Interesting. Personally I just don't see a reason to inject the brisket, the flavor is already there. Pork butts and poultry I understand.

Serious question: Are those steaks really that much better than a regular ribeye cooked the exact same way? If so--is it the texture, the taste? Just trying to figure out why before I decide whether to drop the extra money.

About 10 years ago my former neighbor had a huge "cookout" and they served the best ribeyes I'd ever had. All they used was Dale's marinating sauce. I'm now starting to wonder if they were using one of these higher cuts of steak---because Dale's alone never delivered like those steaks. (And this guy was uber-loaded so cost wouldn't have mattered. They probably had 100 guests that night, no telling what those steaks cost.)

If your buddy dowsed a $50 steak in Dale's you should have hit him with a hammer. You want a more seasoned steak, add more salt and pepper, maybe a little granulated garlic.

Honestly, I have a hard time telling the difference in Waygu vs prime. It tastes delicious but I can't pick out the flavors. Fylm claims he can. It's all the marbling and care the beef is given is what makes the difference.

The butcher I talked to earlier loves the Akuashi, said he preferred it over Waygu. I've really never even heard of Akuashi until now. Similar techniques apparently but these are closer to the Japanese methods.

I thought I might try to post some pics from last night. This is while we were trimming off the bark after it came out of the dry age bag. Those things are pretty cool the fat cap had the consistency/feel of candle wax.

image.jpg

Yep, waygu brisket will be $170/$250 but worth it.

I quit injecting briskets. The last two I did that were not injected turned out better than the previous 6 that were injected. Much more tender and juicy.

Yeah I could see doing it that way but it smokes up the house so much...and I couldn't post about it in the smoking and grilling thread.

No offense Gnarles, but I refuse to take pointers from someone who does not even have granite counter tops. Sorry, but I just can't.

Just kidding, Cardfan would love this.

Reactions: GnarlsBarkley
Looks perfect, Gnarls.

Myself, I finally practiced a Ribeye tonight, and I'll concede -----> delicious. I'll post pics in the morning, but I got a sear on that sucker that would make Jeff Ruby proud. Got the Egg pegged to about 900 or so (who knows really, but that's what it said). Only my 2nd steak on the Egg, but I'm not sure how it could be any more perfect.

Fat melted great, it was butter. Still can't stomach the main thick fat rib cutting through it, but all the other bits were just fine...

Just curious do you like Prine Rib at all? I can't stand Ribeye either except the round spot inside the fat ring, but I can deal with Prime Rib. Never figured out if it's the different style cook or what.

Used to work at Dillon's Steakhouse and their bone in chili rub ribeye was unreal, and it was the only ribeye I ever enjoyed.

Mostly a Sirloin or Strip guy.

Any big grilling plans?

I currently have a Weber Smoky Mountain that I use for smoking and we have a Ducane gas grill that runs off natural gas. It is a hand me down and is kind of junky.

I want to get a charcoal grill to add to the patio. Pretty much only looking at Weber unless someone knows of something just as good and similarly priced.

So my question, is the Weber performer worth the price different from the standard Weber grll?
I have been using a Performer Weber for over 10 years... Gave one away and one I'm currently using is about 7-8 years old... The gas starter makes it worth the money alone... If there is a gas starter with no deck then maybe that'll save some $$$... Don't know but have wanted a WSM but for what little I smoke the kettle grill does okay....

Figured BBdK to be a Porterhouse guy. I like 'em all, filet probably being my fav.

Mark me down for yes on prime rib.

The best 2 briskets I've had were cooked by Anth on his BGE and by my BIL on the very WSM that I now own. I'll probably make my first attempt at smoking brisket some time in July.

Probably throw a flat iron on my gas grill tonight and make my version of gyros.

Prime rib/standing rib roast is a really easy cook. If you have a temp prob it's hard to screw up.

Why is Krazy soaking his steaks in beer? That's not keeping it simple KIIS is putting a light dusting of salt and pepper. That's one step below Dale's.

Props to BBdk on learning how to cook a quality steak on a grill. Great work.

-I kind of agree on the cast iron skillet with the hot tub/sous vide method. Even with GB's his sear went a decent way into the cut, which is what you're trying to avoid. At a steakhouse you'll see the sear barely extends past the surface. Still a great looking steak.

-If you're cooking a filet I'd say it a skillet every time if you want it to turn out best. Use a little butter to get some fat in that sucker.

Wouldnt say soaking, a light coat on top and sit in the fridge for a few minutes. It's not very often either, but everyone once in awhile I want a little different taste. Ever tried it? I just don't like marinades and all that on a steak, kind of old school in that if a steak needs all that then it sucks!

Cook prime rib with a seasoning, high temp in the oven. Get it good and warm but still rare then create an au ju, I usually use beef buillion cube with au ju and some carrot/onion type veggies. Once that is hot enough I cut 1inch thick steaks and cook it in the au ju to whatever temp.

Props to BBdk on learning how to cook a quality steak on a grill. Great work.

Lol, rolleyes -- as if you weren't pumped years ago when you first got your Egg & experienced it's power & what separates it from the average grill.

Been cooking great steaks forever, just always preferred Cast Iron + Butter + Oven finish...never saw anything special about a grilled steak over that method. Obviously, the high temps the Egg can create are different, and yeah, I'm pumped about being able to produce those results.

Let's be honest, a Pork Butt, Tenderloin, Spatchcock taste no different on the Egg than they do on a Weber or any other charcoal grill...they're just easier to cook and require less maintenance due to the Egg's amazing efficiency.

Getting that bitch up to 900-1000 is pretty damn fun & brand new to me at the moment. :raised_hands:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT