ADVERTISEMENT

Smoking & Grilling Thread-2015 Edition

Wow on the pork belly. My new favorite. I score the fat cap and rubbed with a brown sugar, red pepper, chipotle powder, black pepper and sea salt. Cooked fat cap side down. Wrapped after 3.5 hours at 165 and cooked to 200. Rested for an hour and pulled. Total cook time for 4 lbs belly was 5 hours plus one hour rest.

The top side was the best. The bark plus smoke ring was like gift from Heaven.

Served on slider buns with no sauce and my wife's Apple cole slaw as topper.

I mean sonofabitch.

Wife got a 4lbs pork belly at $4/lb at Cooper Brothers close to our house. since they use pork belly for bacon it's actually hard to find. There is a lot of fat so you don't get as much meat as you would think. But it was easy and didn't take all day.

Yep. Just out of this world. The combo of the meat plus the sweetness of the rub is awesome. Then you have the stringy portions below that. Just a great combo

I've been getting pork belly strips. About two inches thick and wide, about 16 inches long or so. I cut those in half, olive oil, then rub.

I cook them about 3 hrs at 240/250. In the middle, I'll hit half of them with brown sugar, then about thirty mins later I'll hit them all with some melted, imported butter.

Once I hit three hours, I pull them off, slice into about two inch cubes and then we put out a few different sauces with them.

For the beer geeks, try pairing them with a rauchbier or a schwarzbier. Match made in heaven.

Just getting into grill season. Had a gas grill that I was ready to replace this year anyway but the first time I tried to use it the ignitor no longer worked, and my smoker was stolen.

Grabbed a small Weber grill this weekend since the wife told me my 5yr old wants to get me a big grill for Father's Day.

Grabbed some pork, cheap bourbon and bbq dry rub. Injected the bourbon into the pork and applied the dry rub and left it. Rotated once then pulled it, grabbed a fork to pull the pork........quickly drowned some corn on the cobb in butter, salt and pepper, and wrapped in bacon and grilled it.

Family is pumped for summer dad!

FYI cooking show "Chopped" is running a grill masters series over the next few days.

I've been getting pork belly strips. About two inches thick and wide, about 16 inches long or so. I cut those in half, olive oil, then rub.

I cook them about 3 hrs at 240/250. In the middle, I'll hit half of them with brown sugar, then about thirty mins later I'll hit them all with some melted, imported butter.

Once I hit three hours, I pull them off, slice into about two inch cubes and then we put out a few different sauces with them.

For the beer geeks, try pairing them with a rauchbier or a schwarzbier. Match made in heaven.
Sounds ridiculous

I smoked 3 racks of baby backs yesterday. First time. They were absolutely perfect.

I washed them with white vinegar, rinsed them off with cold water, slathered them with yellow mustard and sprinkled a basic rub on them (paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne powder, black pepper and kosher salt).

2 were done after 3 hours and 15 minutes, the other one took another 20 minutes.

After 2.5 hours I squirted them with a tart wash (cranberry juice, olive oil and more of the rub) every 20 minutes or so.

I served them with multiple choices of bbq sauces on the side, but I ate mine with just the rub. Fantastic.

I don't know what was going on with my fire, but it was staying down around 200. It usually hangs right at 250-255 with the load of lump I had on there. I ended up firing up half a chimney and dumping it on at the 1:30 mark and everything was great from there on.

I decided to wrap my pork shoulder on the egg for the first time. Let it get to about 160 and wrapped in foil till about 185 and finished with heavy smoke to crisp up the bark. Decreased the cook Time by 3 or 4 hours, might be my new go to.

Binge watched some Pitmasters on Saturday...

Best part is seeing how many times Myron can fit 'damn' into each sentence. He uses that word as a noun, verb, adjective, adverb -- half the time it doesn't even fit/make sense, but he just throws it in there anyways. [laughing] Dude cracks my shit up.

Speaking of Pitmaster, Pellet Envy dude is one weird looking cat. But flat out gets it done. But my question is , has anyone watched the KY edition ? Two guys from The Boro (Old Hickory guy was one )and a spiked hair Puerto Rican from Louisville. It was odd the finals was in Munfordville, but no one close from there made it. Has anybody tried the spiked hair guys restaurant ? He knew his stuff, but didn't have the appearance of the box down, and ran out of time and poured sas on the meat at the last minute.

Also, you are just wasting mustard rubbing a butt with it, just use olive oil, the idea is to get the rub to stick, mustard is mostly water and just runs off, no flavor added of any value. The only thing that really penetrates the thickness of a butt is sea salt, and it is very minimal if done for at least a few hours before cooking.

Spatchcocked to whole chickens and did a tenderloin stuffed with apricot jam (240 for 3 hours for the chickens) and then for the last hour rubbed the loin down real good with brown sugar and turned the heat up to 260 once this time used peach and apple wood. Perfect. Made some Shaq Macs (none microwave variety) and some red peel garlic mashed potatoes and baked beans. (simpleton but was fire). Shaq Macs is a recipe Shaq gave that his grand Ma Ma made for baking mac and cheese, unreal.

The KY episode was actually pretty solid. That dude from Louisville was pretty damn weird but typical for the area of town he's from.

I've never really had BBQ mutton that I can think of. Maybe just in burgoo. Not even sure where you'd find it.

I only do country ribs when I can get special ordered piglets flown in from the Czech Republic whose diet was grain based only. Anything else is unedible really.

I bet that could get pretty expensive for a really low cost cut of meat. Why bother ? maybe throw a shot of your coaches hepatitis in and that should cut down on cost and time to get the pigs flown over sea. I know this was directed at Anth (because he uses the finest ingredients, cause he can), but you are just a troll and a dumb one at that. Serious discussions or take it to another forum, grown folks talking here, run along and go sit at the little boy table.

Finest ingredients? I buy meat from fresh market, whole foods or critchfields. I try to use fresh ingredients for everything including marinades and seasoning but I'm not flying in steaks from Texas or exotic meats.

Yep. Sorry bud. Learn 12-16 hour cooks. Your fruity fast cooked ribs were probably delicious but from what I have gathered, Kingsford blue bag is what most people use in the weber bullet for long cooks.

I use the Royal Oak Natural Lump charcoal. I'm fine with it. I won't use briquettes. Or lighter fluid. Or steak sauce.

I am currently following recipes exactly out of the "Low and Slow: Master the Art of Barbecue in 5 Easy Lessons." I haven't had the need for a 12-16 hour cook yet.

Just trying to figure this thing out.

The ribs were certainly not fruity. Learn tart washes.

Actually, I was nervous about it when I saw cranberry juice in the ingredients. But it is basically a way to get more rub on there and add to the bark.

And the temp stayed between 215-260 the whole time. Certainly not "fast cooked." It was just the first time the temp hadn't stayed right at 250 the entire time.

Anth, I'm going to have to cancel on your grill out this weekend. I've got a graduation party I have to go to.

I was really looking forward to peacock breast, polar bear ribs and especially the giraffe neck. Did your friend hook you up with the baobab wood? I've got a guy who can "help out" at customs if you have it flown in to CVG.

Pulled pork is overrated, imo. It's delicious & succulent, but once I'm done and full on it, it's one of those foods that I don't want it again for quite a long time.

I have a few grilling buddies on FB/IG that do a butt just about every weekend it seems....a few times per summer is good for me.

-Did my first BGE steak last night. Hit up the Farmer's Market and got me a nice strip...lass was in a hurry, so didn't get to try reverse sear, or mess with the spider sear. Went 2 min per side on the sear, then up top for 4 to 130...pretty good crust, and maybe just a tad above Med Rare -- was pretty pleased for my first go. Got a Ribeye from the same farm I'll probably practice with Thursday.

Last edited:
I pull early on steaks for that very reason. They seem to keep cooking for about 5 minutes which is enough to run it up higher than I prefer. Pull mid rare around 126-128.

-Told you. Having the different levels is just a game changer. I use it in so many different ways I wouldn't even know where to begin.

My deal is unless it's PERFECT medium rare, I always have to put it back on for the lass, which is annoying and kinda ruins the dinner after we've already plated & sat down to eat, when I have to get back up and deal with that.

I can do Rare+ (although I don't prefer it), but it's a no-go for her. I bet I have to do that half the time, and even at steakhouses there will be a bite or two that's a little too rare for her liking that she'll leave for me

I'll be able to nail it consistently on this thing eventually, but A little over med rare (but shy of actual medium) is fine for me, so it was a non-issue.

You let your steaks warm to temp over on the side of the bottom grate...? Seemed that way in your picture you sent.

I move them around a lot. Mostly by feel. At the point of the pics they all had a great crust on them and I was trying to get them to temp w/out burning. I probably flip my steaks, especially thick cut like that, 7-8 times each. Move them around to keep temps consistent with the rest of the steaks so they finish about the same time. I'll spin the grate to do that as well. Smaller steaks and thin protein I'll start out on the sides. Except flank, flat iron and skirt. Just throw it on the hottest part and let it roll. By the time it sears it's finished.

Willy, you are in the greater cincy area, correct? With it being gusty yesterday, sometimes the wind hitting your vents will cause your temp to spike, and then if you don't realize it, you end up overcorrecting and cutting the temp too low. I was having problems with temps spiking doing ribs yesterday as well in Newport.

For you Lexington folks, I always got my belly from Critchfield when I lived there a few years back, but it was skin on and frozen usually. I've never seen it at big box places, but any old school butcher has it or can get it. Having Findlay Market in Cincinnati 2 miles from my house is amazing for getting weird cuts.

Finest ingredients? I buy meat from fresh market, whole foods or critchfields. I try to use fresh ingredients for everything including marinades and seasoning but I'm not flying in steaks from Texas or exotic meats.

I know that, he was taking at jab for your fresh grass fed sirloin, he was being a dick because you do not use store but Famous Daves rub etc. My comment was aimed at the Cardfan.

I don't like grass fed beef for the most part. I'll take some GMO's in my well marbled steaks. Worth it.

Ridiculously easy to make your own rubs and spices and cut out all the chemicals used in the caking agents, etc.

$35 for a 2lbs pork belly is redic. Mine was $16 for a 4 pounder. Really a 2 pounder would not be very much meat. Got mine at Cooper Brothers. There has to be some place in Louisville that has them.

Damn it, I keep forgetting about Cooper Bros. I gotta get out there. They really stocking Waygu and Akuashi still? What are the prices for those? Love to take a crack at a waygu brisket, scary stuff but damn that'd be fun.

Regardless I want a nice steak for Friday night. Maybe even go ahead and grab something to smoke for Sunday.

Yeah, thats like paying $17/lb for bacon. Bacon is like $4 in the grocery store, or like $8/lb for the locally made stuff I go for. Cant imagine paying that much for a straight belly

ADVERTISEMENT