ADVERTISEMENT

Smoker/ Grilling

My smoking has taken a hit the last few years. Wife found she had a food allergy regarding pork.
So I don't smoke as much as I used to. Absolutely love pulled pork and spareribs....but so does she....so don't cook them anymore. Don't want her to have the temptation.
Still smoke beef ribs here and there, but don't like them as much as pork
Have never tried brisket due to all the horror stories I've read/heard over the years....but may give it a go this Summer.

I think the first thing I'm gonna try is smoking a pork butt. I have a weber charcoal grill, and I think the best method is to try the snake-formation of the charcoal around the pork butt. I fully plan to botch it. But I really just want to get the method down.
You got this. Start early and drink plenty of beer and it’ll taste fantastic

Out of curiosity, I hear differing times from different websites.. some I've seen for 8 hours, and some video was like 12 hours or longer.

What do you guys usually cook at, temperature and time length?

At the end of last season, my propane smoker bit the dust. I have a Weber and a nice gas grill, along with a bbq pit we use out at the farm. I need something at my house in the city to smoke meats though.

Been looking at pellet grills for the simplicity. I like the looks of the camp chef ones. Anybody have an endorsement for the CC, or another unit I should check out?

I've got the 24" Woodwind with wifi and a propane sear box. I love it.

Like krd7_99, I like the smoke you get with the Weber Smoky Mountain, but the control you have with the Woodwind more than makes up for it.

You control the temp and smoke level with the touch of a button (or your phone).

My BIL has one and he got the Sidekick instead of the Sear Box. It can do a lot more.

But I'm a big fan of the Camp Chef Woodwind and I highly recommend it.

I have a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker and a broilmaster propane grill that I have had for probably close to 25 years. It is on its last legs. I just ordered a Primo ceramic grill to take its place. I can't wait to try it out. Unfortunately, it is 5 to 6 weeks out before it will come in. I'm wondering if it will also make my Weber smoker obsolete or if I will still use it. I know a lot of people on here love their ceramic cookers, so when the propane grill died, I thought I would try one. Plus the wife wanted to get away from propane and go back to charcoal.

Out of curiosity, I hear differing times from different websites.. some I've seen for 8 hours, and some video was like 12 hours or longer.

What do you guys usually cook at, temperature and time length?
I usually figure about 1 1/2 hours per pound as a general rule. I prefer to cook butts to 200 degrees. Below are good basic directions.

Last edited:
Reactions: LineSkiCat14
My smoking has taken a hit the last few years. Wife found she had a food allergy regarding pork.
So I don't smoke as much as I used to. Absolutely love pulled pork and spareribs....but so does she....so don't cook them anymore. Don't want her to have the temptation.
Still smoke beef ribs here and there, but don't like them as much as pork
Have never tried brisket due to all the horror stories I've read/heard over the years....but may give it a go this Summer.
A brisket isn't that bad if you watch your meat temp. The ideal temp for brisket is 195-200. That is where the collagen in the meat breaks down. Anything that is 10-15 degrees below or above that can cause it to be tough. Just purchase a good wireless thermometer and keep an eye on the internal temp. Like everyone else has said when it reaches the internal temp of around 195-200 take it out, wrap it and put it in a cooler to rest for a couple of hours.

If you are still skeptical to sink $50-60 bucks on a brisket you could always try smoking a beef chuck roast. It would be cheaper and give you some practice. The temp for a chuck roast is pretty similar and you can even go a little higher getting closer to the 205-210 range. You can thank me later.

A brisket isn't that bad if you watch your meat temp. The ideal temp for brisket is 195-200. That is where the collagen in the meat breaks down. Anything that is 10-15 degrees below or above that can cause it to be tough. Just purchase a good wireless thermometer and keep an eye on the internal temp. Like everyone else has said when it reaches the internal temp of around 195-200 take it out, wrap it and put it in a cooler to rest for a couple of hours.

If you are still skeptical to sink $50-60 bucks on a brisket you could always try smoking a beef chuck roast. It would be cheaper and give you some practice. The temp for a chuck roast is pretty similar and you can even go a little higher getting closer to the 205-210 range. You can thank me later.
Yeah, years ago when I'd smoke pulled pork....one time it'd be OK...not exactly to the point of being 'pulled', and the next time it would be perfect. Have a number of BBQ and smoking books, recipe books, etc. and for whatever reason the fact of the final internal temp being around the 200 range slipped by me. Noticed it on a website one day, smoked some pork that weekend, took it off at 200-205, wrapped it and put in a cooler for a few hours......and it was perfect.
Funny how you can read, study, watch videos, etc and miss one piece of info that can make all the difference.
Had never thought of doing a chuck roast before. Think I'll try it just for the fun of it and see how it turns out.
I get the smoker out every Memorial Day weekend (Sunday) and smoke something all day while the Indy 500 is on. Being doing it for years. Smoker going, smell of hickory (or whatever wood) in the air, race on the TV outside, piddle in the yard ..... love it. If the chuck roast turns out I may just try a brisket for Memorial Day weekend.
Thanks.

I've got the 24" Woodwind with wifi and a propane sear box. I love it.

Like krd7_99, I like the smoke you get with the Weber Smoky Mountain, but the control you have with the Woodwind more than makes up for it.

You control the temp and smoke level with the touch of a button (or your phone).

My BIL has one and he got the Sidekick instead of the Sear Box. It can do a lot more.

But I'm a big fan of the Camp Chef Woodwind and I highly recommend it.
Are the side boxes interchangeable?
Do you use a smoke tube to increase output?

If they become available again, I believe imma get one.

Up at 4am, rubbed the butt with mustard and a dry rub consisting of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, paprika and dark brown sugar. 9.5lb butt. Was on the smoker at 5:15 started at 225 with a combo of apple and hickory wood chips, the last 2 hours of smoke went straight apple. Smoked it it to 150, pulled it and wrapped in butcher paper, back in the smoker. At 160 degrees upped the smoker to 250, and upped the temperature to 275 when it hit 170. Let it ride at that point. Pulled it out when it hit 190 on the therma pen at 7:00pm. Almost 14 hours of cook time. Tried 3 different points with the therma pen and was between 190-196. Wrapped in a towel and into a cooler for 2 hours. Came out perfect, very moist, fork tender. I would have like a little more bark but I’m not complaining.

Perfect way to spend the day. I have to use the smoker at my neighbors because I don’t have an outside outlet (yet). Spent the day just shooting the shit with him, going trial and error as neither of us had smoked a butt, he drank an 18 pack of beer and I had my fair share of brown water. Next time I will definitely start it at night so it will be ready at a more reasonable time. May tinker with the rub, amount of smoke time but for my first attempt I couldn’t be more pleased.

Up at 4am, rubbed the butt with mustard and a dry rub consisting of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, paprika and dark brown sugar. 9.5lb butt. Was on the smoker at 5:15 started at 225 with a combo of apple and hickory wood chips, the last 2 hours of smoke went straight apple. Smoked it it to 150, pulled it and wrapped in butcher paper, back in the smoker. At 160 degrees upped the smoker to 250, and upped the temperature to 275 when it hit 170. Let it ride at that point. Pulled it out when it hit 190 on the therma pen at 7:00pm. Almost 14 hours of cook time. Tried 3 different points with the therma pen and was between 190-196. Wrapped in a towel and into a cooler for 2 hours. Came out perfect, very moist, fork tender. I would have like a little more bark but I’m not complaining.

Perfect way to spend the day. I have to use the smoker at my neighbors because I don’t have an outside outlet (yet). Spent the day just shooting the shit with him, going trial and error as neither of us had smoked a butt, he drank an 18 pack of beer and I had my fair share of brown water. Next time I will definitely start it at night so it will be ready at a more reasonable time. May tinker with the rub, amount of smoke time but for my first attempt I couldn’t be more pleased.
Sounds like you're well on your way to the world of smokin' meat....Congrats!

Reactions: august-west
Are the side boxes interchangeable?
Do you use a smoke tube to increase output?

If they become available again, I believe imma get one.
The side boxes are screwed in place.

You could take it off and put another one on pretty easily, but it isn’t something you would want to do frequently.

I don’t use the smoke tube yet. I get pretty good results without it.

I had some people over today and smoked 2 dozen wings, 3 giant sweet potatoes and 2 pork tenderloins.

Had the smoke level at 9 for everything and I wouldn’t have changed a thing.

Reactions: 80 Proof
My neighbor has a traeger and I don’t get much of a smoke taste on anything he cooks. Think he just has the smoke level too low (if there is one)?

My neighbor has a traeger and I don’t get much of a smoke taste on anything he cooks. Think he just has the smoke level too low (if there is one)?

He was probably conceived with a weak sperm, imo.

Bought a little Weber Smokey Joe to take to the Gorge when we rent a cabin. It is surprisingly useful since I'm just cooking for the wife, dog, and me. I think I'm going to make some beef short ribs this morning and some mac and cheese. Because I am fat and sloppy.

Reactions: Mossip
Per a couple of Traeger message boards I follow, that is a common complaint with the newest traeger smokers. I was set to get one until I started reading about that.

Reactions: Get Bucket$
Bump. Did a pork butt a few weeks ago. #chef'skiss. Turned out great. Did about 8 hours on the Weber using the "snake method" to maintain a temp around 250. Highly recommend.

For those unfamiliar ...

Finsihed my Akorn/Blackstone table. Wanted to get rid of the 2 shitty carts that were not is so good of shape and increase my outdoor storage.

92e7de813bafd388e36ff090c6ec0ab0.jpg

Bump. Did a pork butt a few weeks ago. #chef'skiss. Turned out great. Did about 8 hours on the Weber using the "snake method" to maintain a temp around 250. Highly recommend.

For those unfamiliar ...

This is exactly what I'm looking to do. Man, though. I'm trying to find a good day to do it. What with work and the weather in the northeast still being temperamental (although we're kind of in a heat wave right now).

Probably gonna buy the Pork Butt this weekend. How big did you get? Any gotchas from the snake method?

Reactions: Mossip
Mine was around 8 lbs. Not really any snafus with the snake method, other than the usual long-cook issues, i.e .temp plateaus, vent adjustments, etc. My cook plateaued around 180 in the last hour. Just piled up the charcoal at the end to finish and get it there.

I committed the ultimate sin last weekend and made baby backs in the .......oven.

Cooked low and slow, they were still delicious. And 3-4 minutes under the broiler at the end gave them a small semblance of being cooked outdoors.

Obviously not the preferred method. But if you’re without any better option, and develop a mean craving for bbq, it got the job done.

I committed the ultimate sin last weekend and made baby backs in the .......oven.

Cooked low and slow, they were still delicious. And 3-4 minutes under the broiler at the end gave them a small semblance of being cooked outdoors.

Obviously not the preferred method. But if you’re without any better option, and develop a mean craving for bbq, it got the job done.
Not a damn thing wrong with that.

I haven't cooked ribs in the egg for a couple of years now. Cook em in the instapot for 30 minutes then under the broiler until I start to see some black spots. Take em out and apply sauce then back under the broiler until the sauce is about to burn. 1 hour vs 6 hours.

Reactions: UK_Norm
Threw a 2 1/2lb pork tenderloin on the smoker at 2:00. Brined for 2 hours in water, apple juice, salt, black peppercorns, sugar, bay leaves, 2 sprigs rosemary, 2 sprigs thyme, orange & lemon slices. Patted dry and rubbed down with dark brown sugar, kosher salt, black pepper, paprika, smoked paprika, cayenne, mustard powder, onion powder & garlic powder. Going with cherry wood chips for the smoke. Now we wait...........

And drink

Last edited:
Threw a 2 1/2lb pork tenderloin on the smoker at 2:00. Brined for 2 hours in water, apple juice, salt, black peppercorns, sugar, bay leaves, 2 sprigs rosemary, 2 sprigs thyme, orange & lemon slices. Patted dry and rubbed down with dark brown sugar, kosher salt, black pepper, paprika, smoked paprika, cayenne, mustard powder, onion powder & garlic powder. Going with cherry wood chips for the smoke. Now we wait...........

And drink

YEP! Pulled off at 150 degrees, wrapped, rested for 30 minutes. Damn good. I think I can used to this smoking game.

Did a random "wild hair" experiment today on my Akorn to see if it could stay hot enough to do a stir fry. Loaded it up with a higher than normal pile of lump and used a 14 inch cast iron wok set into the hole for the removable center grate. Waited until the internal temp was around 500 degrees, dropped some coconut oil into the wok and proceeded to make an awesome korean BBQ chicken stir fry.

The only minor issue with that technique is the handling of the wok itself, but nothing some heat resistant gloves can't handle.

Definitely something I will do more of now that I know I can pull it off. Absolutely loving this "kamado training grill" so far.

Since we had the smoker rolling we went ahead and put a 2 1/2 chub of bologna on. Smoked at 275, with cherry wood, for 2:45 minutes. I personally hate bologna so I will have to take my neighbors word for it.

Reactions: 80 Proof and IkeCat
Might want to wrap some of this bologna overnight and then decide if you hate smoked bologna,...eat it as you would some summer sausage, or at least sample some of what you gave your neighbor. BTW, good smokin' makes good neighbors.

Last edited:

Hell no. I grew up on crock pot ribs. Ain't no shame in using an oven.

Really, just smoking meat....a few hours is all the smoke the meat can take. After that, you're really just wasting your fuel source. Finishing in an oven is a smart move. But, its a lot more fun to drink and sit outside while the smoker is going.

Reactions: birdforbogey
Just ordered an Ooni pizza oven. Running out of room for the toys, and I may have a problem.

Anybody have an Ooni? Wondering what else it can churn out other than pizza. Seems like it'd be a great way to sear a steak.

Reactions: dckala2
I smoked some hot wings this weekend for the 2nd time in the last month. My girls love them. I used apple wood this time instead of my usual hickory and they seemed to prefer the hickory.

Might want to wrap some of this bologna overnight and then decide if you hate smoked bologna,...eat it as you would some summer sausage, or at least sample some of what you gave your neighbor. BTW, good smokin' makes good neighbors.

I made Spam burnt ends a couple of times that is absolutely delicious. I think I may try bologna the next time.

I smoked some hot wings this weekend for the 2nd time in the last month. My girls love them. I used apple wood this time instead of my usual hickory and they seemed to prefer the hickory.

I made Spam burnt ends a couple of times that is absolutely delicious. I think I may try bologna the next time.
In my 71 yrs, have never eaten Spam. Has been on my mind lately tho. What was your process?

In my 71 yrs, have never eaten Spam. Has been on my mind lately tho. What was your process?
I cut it up in 1 inch squares, tossed it in Killer Hogs BBQ rub and smoked it at around 250-275 for about an hour and a half over indirect heat with a few pieces of hickory for the smoke. Then I took them out and put them in a disposable aluminum pan with a cup of brown sugar, a stick of butter and about a cup and a half of Sweet Baby Ray's Original BBQ sauce. Back into the smoker for approximately 30-45 minutes and stirred them occasionally. Then take them out and enjoy.

I cut it up in 1 inch squares, tossed it in Killer Hogs BBQ rub and smoked it at around 250-275 for about an hour and a half over indirect heat with a few pieces of hickory for the smoke. Then I took them out and put them in a disposable aluminum pan with a cup of brown sugar, a stick of butter and about a cup and a half of Sweet Baby Ray's Original BBQ sauce. Back into the smoker for approximately 30-45 minutes and stirred them occasionally. Then take them out and enjoy.
Sounds really good..gonna have to give it a try. Thanks

Picked up 2 whole chickens to do “beer can chickens” in the smoker this weekend. Also gonna do some baked potatoes/sweet potatoes while I’m at it. Maybe some asparagus, as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT